Jordan Peele's "US"

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I think that this is one where most folks are going in knowing that it's Jordan Peele's second BIG film that he's written and directed. Given that he won an Oscar for "Best Original Screenplay" for Get Out, I don't think that there'll be quite the expectation for it to be "like" Get Out per se. I do think that this is more likely going to establish the overall expectations from him for his films in the future, since having a point of comparison will show a lot about where his talents sit and how wide or narrow his type of filmmaking is setting out to be. I'd expect people to hold the film to a really high standard – but it seems like that's something that it looks like it'll be able to live up to.

There's a hell of a lot of hype to be sure, but I think that in this case it's far more likely to help the film rather than hurt it. Especially when it comes to presales (since the trailer also dropped that tickets were available now), getting a big opening weekend during a relatively quiet period of the year can do a lot of good for a film at the box office long term. Presales also help to generate media interest because that's what a lot of early tracking around films are based on. With that, you'll get a lot of folks talking about it, which is basically free advertising leading up to release.

If it's a good film, it'll do that what Get Out did and it'll grow some legs due to word of mouth – which will make the biggest impact on the film domestically. There's some damn good talent in the film, and a couple of them were in Black Panther, so I'm betting that there'll be a lot of support from the African American community around it. Unless it's very mediocre, I don't think that there'll be any issues with him having done Get Out first or a majority of audience expectations.

X :neo:

Top Bottom