Kitase Confirms Battle System Change, is Maddeningly Unspecific

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/final-fant...says-battle-system-will-likely-change-1517106

Wanted to post this in "News/Articles", didn't have the 'privileges', though. So here ya go!

Although as stated in the title this is very unspecific news, it sounds to me that we can at least confirm that this remake will NOT contain the essentially 'hack/slash' action-battle style we have seen in more recent RPGs, and FFs in particular. Some sort of hybrid? An ATB system with just a lot more speed and WHIZZ-BANG-BOOM?? I feel strangely relieved by this little update. If this has already been posted, I'll delete it

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I didn't see anything in there about the nature of the battle system, just that they're working on it and that it won't be ATB.

Personally I think it is going to turn into a "hack-and-slash" no matter what they try to do. It's really the only way to get an "action" look like they're trying for without the stagnation of turn-based or the battle stimulation that XIII had. What they'll probably end up doing is making the materia a list of skills and you can only have so many materia and their related skills active at one time or another.

It's just that I'm currently playing "The Last Remnant" which was one of the last big turn-based games SE made and it's obvious that they're never going to go back to something like it. Battles, even short ones, have this rythem of "chose actions" and then "watch actions" so there isn't a whole lot constant action. Which is apparently what SE says everyone wants nowadays.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Personally I think it is going to turn into a "hack-and-slash" no matter what they try to do. It's really the only way to get an "action" look like they're trying for without the stagnation of turn-based or the battle stimulation that XIII had. What they'll probably end up doing is making the materia a list of skills and you can only have so many materia and their related skills active at one time or another.

It's just that I'm currently playing "The Last Remnant" which was one of the last big turn-based games SE made and it's obvious that they're never going to go back to something like it. Battles, even short ones, have this rythem of "chose actions" and then "watch actions" so there isn't a whole lot constant action. Which is apparently what SE says everyone wants nowadays.

What gives you this impression?

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
I certainly agree that they would never go back to the PURE turn-based of the games of that era, including FF7. However, I do think that they are making many exceptions for this game they wouldn't make elsewhere because of its status as a remake (of a game DEVOUTLY loved for very specific reasons), and I think the battle system will be one of these areas. You're absolutely right that he doesn't nail anything down, but I'm taking "Normally, when you do a remake (RE: We're not following normal procedure with this one), it becomes somewhere along the lines of a familiar action RPG, so we're looking at how we can put out something like Final Fantasy VII...while still surprising fans" to suggest that this will neither be the current hack/slash trend, nor the direct conversion no one was really expecting anyway. That they're going out of their way to do something different because of the intended audience for this badboy.

More questions are raised than answered, but like I said in my original post, to me this at the very least suggests something different than what is to me, as an old grandpa gamer, very disappointing hack-and-slash mechanics of modern RPGs. Your point that they may end up falling into that category whether they like it or not is interesting though...

Edit: Technically, he doesn't even say it won't be ATB! Just that there's a "possibility" that wouldn't work out. To be fair though, it sounds like he's probably just being typically diplomatic, as no one really seems to expect a direct update anywhoozle.

clowd

Pro Adventurer
I'm fine with whatever system they use as long as it meets a few personal requirements

- materia plays a big role
- there are limit breaks
- items are still used and useful
- no battle load screen
- enemies visible on the map

If they have those things then to me it will still be FFVII but at the same time upgraded for modern times.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I am shit at hand eye coordination. After 1000 hours in Tamriel I still run past enemies and whack my sword into the wall. There's always one boss in every Zelda game that 100% prevents me from continuing. I've never finished an action RPG.

As long as someone like me can feel proficient in battle, I could care less about the specifics.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
My hands were too small to make effective use of Z-targeting so I was pretty bad at just about anything that required it. The first freaking boss gave me trouble because I couldn't aim properly. I also had trouble with just about anything that required pressing buttons while using the joystick.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
controller_n64.png

When your hands are too small to wrap around the controller, reaching that Z button while using the others is a lost cause. That said, I really miss playing the ocarina with the c buttons.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I still don't understand. How could your hand possibly be too small to fully wrap around that middle prong? Your index finger would rest right on the trigger. :huh:

Starling

Pro Adventurer
I was like 4 years old back then. By the time it wasn't so much of a problem, my older brother sold all the good games and left the console sitting there without any of the games I actually played.

Top Bottom