Kotaku Article/Video on Translations

Cloud’s Strife

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
Cloud’s Stripe
Been rewatching Tim’s videos up to the point where I played the game, right before being locked in jail inside the Shinra building. Then checked a playthrough of the fan translation as well, and i must say i’ve spoken before my turn. Turns out i’m no genius able to imagine whole lost text boxes or janky translation (a heifer, lol) based on watching Tim’s videos. There’s just so much that doesn’t make any sense in the original if you haven’t played the game since ‘97: Tifa realising Barret might be looking up underneath her skirt when they run up the stairs in the Shinra building (i thought she had to pee); Guys in the gym being ‘like you’ actually being about one person only: Big Bro; Aerisu saying about Zack ‘it was the first person I liked’ in the fan translation comes closer than ‘my first boyfriend’ based on what Tim said. I’ll give both a go; just like you all did. That linked post is terrible though indeed, so yeah thanks for staying as objective as you can about it.

SailorStarDust

Kept you waiting, huh?
AKA
SSD
Admittedly I haven't watched these videos yet, but I just finished watching TLS's RE-TRANSLATED project which made me sad that was never finished 3 years back. Tangentially, I remember playing through Beacause last year and was shocked how stiff (despite being "more accurate") the translation was—It's a relief to hear Tim Rogers' videos don't fall into the same trap. (It's also a disappointment to have heard how much of a jerk the head of Beacause is, but that's another thing.)

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
DLPB is a competent hacker and his work speaks for itself. His behavior here and other places has gotten him a bad rap on a personal level, but credit where it’s due :monster: I don’t use his Reunion mod out of personal preference, but I’d easily recommend trying it if you’re looking for an overhaul that isn’t A New Threat.

Edley

Pray for Sound
AKA
Issac Dian, Dudley, Chev Chelios
Way behind here, but I just skimmed through this series and wow, what a labor of love. Honestly reminds me of the linguistic version of a Hardcore History podcast. I do feel he's picking snippets that affirm his personal connotations on several occasions, but its still very good and I'll ignore his dragging of Tifa because of it.

Does he post any thoughts on the rest of the game anywhere? Bummer he'll never do breakdowns on lifestream or endgame sequences. Ending with Aerith's death is kinda like covering World War II and ending at the Fall of Paris.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I kind of wish he’d done the rest as well, as Disc 2 is where the translation errors start really borking the plot’s comprehensiveness. But it became pretty clear to me at the Gold Saucer episode (“Ghost”) that the series was taking on FFVII’s themes of grief and identity in a beautiful way, so I can’t fault it for ending as it did.

Also I think he was drowning in the work :/ if he’d kept it up, I don’t know if he’d be okay.

Fangu

Great Old One
I ran into these videos again on YouTube, rewatched the entire thing and loved it even more this time around. Now that Remake and Rebirth is out, it's really interesting to see how the English localisation of those compare to the original Japanese script. The videos made me appreciate and maybe understand a bit better the choices they've made especially in Rebirth.

You agree ka :monster:

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
Videos like those always makes me wish there was an official release with updated translations.

We are definitely long removed from 1997 and translations have gotten better these days even if some things can still be improved.

Maybe a free update with a toggle? Oh well.

I guess there are mods, but sometimes I wanna play on my Switch.

Fangu

Great Old One
"Roommate yaroo"

"I will get some... the popcorn"

lmao I can't get these things out of my head, I think I need to watch the entire thing again

Top Bottom