Kunsel, the ultimate SOLDIER bro

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
My new friend Helsen S.M. from Belarus has been drawing a lot of Kunsel recently, which has kind of raised his popularity on Twitter, so I thought this obviously underrated SOLDIER deserves his own fanclub.

Do you have your own head canon about Kunsel's appearance? Do you admire his know-it-all profoundness, or do you find him creepy? Are you hoping to see him in Remake Part II ?

I find him to be a complete non-entity, a blank, a cipher. We don't even know what he looks like. In Crisis Core, he's just the standard 3rd Class SOLDIER model. His popularity as a character has eluded me.

I think the reason he's popular is precisely because he's a non-character. Since he's a blank, you can fill him in with whatever you want. It's impossible to get his face, his personality, or his backstory wrong. He's essentially an OC with a canon name.

Because he's essentially an OC, I have no investment in him. OCs are, of course, indispensible to any properly told story because our main cast need supporting characters to make their world feel properly lived in. As a main character in fanfic or fanart? I find him no more interesting than I do most people's OCs. There are just a few writers who somehow are able to make their OCs compelling to me, but they're few and far between.

I guess if I have a headcanon about Kunsel it's that he's an information sponge who trades in knowledge. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
Kunsel kind of reminds me of the more minor characters in the Codec support team from Metal Gear Solid 1, but with less backstory and idiosyncrasies.

His personality is fairly minimal because he's really more a vessel for information dumping/lore exposition.

There's never any reference to intel units or the like being a part of SOLDIER, but I like to think that's where he would have excelled most and it's why he never tried to climb higher up the SOLDIER ranks. 1st class is for outstanding combatants.

Kunsel is a backseat kinda guy, knows every possible route to a destination but isn't interested in driving the car.

BioTeach

Pro Adventurer
I think part of his popularity is the fact that he's such a mystery. People are drawn to the unknown and there's a lot of unknown when it comes to Kunsel. I think he's going to show up in the Remake at some point because 1) they deliberately dropped his name in part 1. And 2) Zack is (probably?) back and he is kunsels biggest connection in the compilation.

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
Kunsel is awesome. For me, it's not about mystery or being blank at all -- it's simply that you play as Zack, and Kunsel is constantly there to support you, send you emails, and chat to. It's naturally going to make me associate him with being great.

Really? My Zack found him kind of creepy. He'd info dump on me when I didn't ask him. He always seemed to know what my movements were. He invited me out to get to know the town and then abandoned me in Sector 8.

I once read a fic in which Kunsel was a power behind the scenes in Shinra because he had dirt on everybody. He traded in information, got a kick out of watching people squirm, and was amassing a fortune on the QT. I could believe in that version of Kunsel.

My favorite thing about Kunsel is how LeighXP refers to him as "Kettle corn". That has been my internal name for Kunsel a while now. :monster:

4:26 her voice for Kunsel
14:23 Is this Kettle corn?
18:15 !"#¤ Kettle corn!

Top Bottom