Last Film You've Seen

Astro Boy.

Well damn, this was a pretty damn good movie. It somehow kept the astroboy feeling while stripping off most of the japanese. Just be warned though, it IS more of an origin story. he doesnt really become astro boy until the end, but you're glad the rest was there.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
Watchmen - ...:huh: well, that was a waste of time. And the cast deserve Oscars for wooden acting.

Th Colour of Magic - technically a two-part miniseries, but the combined running time is three hours, so I feel it counts. Not bad, Jeremy Irons as Vetinari the Patriarch is most impressive, as is the voice of Christopher Lee as DEATH. But, the books on which it's based (The Colour of Magic & The Light Fantastic) are marginally more enjoyable. In part because Pratchett's punes (or plays on words) work better on paper than on screen.

Hogfather - another Discworld two-parter. BRILLIANT. Ian Richardson really fitted the voice of DEATH wonderfully (so wonderfully in fact, he was collected shortly after). Marc Warren as Teatime Te-ah-tim-ah is just so childishly brilliant, and the Auditors of Reality resonate with everyone I feel. I feel (as does Mssr. Pratchett) that the writing in Hogfather is better than in the first two Discworld books. And remember,
monsters are killed with the poker

Charles Xavier

Pro Adventurer
Watchmen - ...:huh: well, that was a waste of time. And the cast deserve Oscars for wooden acting.

Th Colour of Magic - technically a two-part miniseries, but the combined running time is three hours, so I feel it counts. Not bad, Jeremy Irons as Vetinari the Patriarch is most impressive, as is the voice of Christopher Lee as DEATH. But, the books on which it's based (The Colour of Magic & The Light Fantastic) are marginally more enjoyable. In part because Pratchett's punes (or plays on words) work better on paper than on screen.

Hogfather - another Discworld two-parter. BRILLIANT. Ian Richardson really fitted the voice of DEATH wonderfully (so wonderfully in fact, he was collected shortly after). Marc Warren as Teatime Te-ah-tim-ah is just so childishly brilliant, and the Auditors of Reality resonate with everyone I feel. I feel (as does Mssr. Pratchett) that the writing in Hogfather is better than in the first two Discworld books. And remember,
monsters are killed with the poker

No means to argue, but I have to disagree you on Watchmen, which I thoroughly enjoyed. It's definitely not your typical kind of super hero comic book movie and that surprised me when I first watched it. As for acting, I didn't really see anything wrong about it. I thought Jackie Earle Haley was perfect as Rorschach, and I'm pretty disappointed he hasn't been nominated for an Oscar.

Anyway, the last movie I watched was 'The Fountain'. An okay artsy film.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
No means to argue, but I have to disagree you on Watchmen, which I thoroughly enjoyed. It's definitely not your typical kind of super hero comic book movie and that surprised me when I first watched it. As for acting, I didn't really see anything wrong about it. I thought Jackie Earle Haley was perfect as Rorschach, and I'm pretty disappointed he hasn't been nominated for an Oscar.
To each their own. I found it ...well, as unbearable as the book. It's a shame, some of Moore's work, such as Tom Strong, Promethia and V For Vendetta is bloody brilliant, but it's all stuff that's violence, profanity and sex that gets all the attention (Watchmen, LXG, Lost Girls).

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing wrong with profanity or sex in comics (violence is a given), but everything in moderation, yeah?

JEH wasn't bad as Rorschach, but the character was unsympathetic, IMO.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Watchmen - ... well, that was a waste of time. And the cast deserve Oscars for wooden acting.

While I didn't all-out haite Watchmen, I thought it was way too long. :/

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I'd rather watch the extended version of Return of the King instead. At least that movie doesn't FEEL quite as long. :P

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
To each their own. I found it ...well, as unbearable as the book. It's a shame, some of Moore's work, such as Tom Strong, Promethia and V For Vendetta is bloody brilliant, but it's all stuff that's violence, profanity and sex that gets all the attention (Watchmen, LXG, Lost Girls).
Watchmen is not all "violence, profanity and sex." If you think otherwise, you've probably misinterpreted the work.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Ⓐaron;209747 said:
Watchmen is not all "violence, profanity and sex." If you think otherwise, you've probably misinterpreted the work.
I was speaking hyperbolically. You may make your own gags about me talking hyperbollocks. :monster:

Let's just leave it as Watchmen/Alan Moore isn't as clever as it/he thinks it/he is. (Delete according to your own personal feelings.)

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I find it to be a superb examination of the folly of all forms of absolute morality, as well as a harrowing examination of the human psyche. I'm not exactly sure what it was doing that makes it seem to be trying to be too clever for its own good. Maybe the Nietzsche reference at the end.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
I find people enough of an examination of that, thanks. Look, maybe it's all the hype that surrounds the franchise, but I found (the movie at least) to just not be as smart as everyone thinks it is. I felt unmoved by it. It did bring up a lot of good points, yes, but it never addressed them. By which, I don't mean resolve them (trying to resolve the grey areas of morality is always a mistake), but it brought up a concept, went "hmm..." to itself, and then brought in an action scene. Or corny sex scene. :monster:

I'm not good at wording stuff liek this, so I'll just point out something you said.

(the movie at least)

Thats your problem. While it did an ok job, and I enjoy the movie, the novel is a hell of alot better. There's a reason so many directors walked away from doing the movie saying its impossible to adapt.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
After I saw the movie, I maintain that it's only good to fans of the novel. On it's own, it's not really a "good" film as far as film standards go. It lacks the nuances of the novel, but it was as close as Hollywood was going to get in an adaptation imo. If you read it beforehand, it's easier to see the care the creators took into keeping the book's integrity in the film.

aniron

it's me in a labyrinth
AKA
spirit chaser
Alice In Wonderland - not quite as good as I was expecting it to be, but still pretty enjoyable.
Loved Johnny Depp's make up in this film. :awesome:

Sheva Alomar

I'm Alive and on Fire
AKA
Adri, Sir Integra, Fiona, Sango
The Crazies

The remake of George A. Romero's classic. I actually didn't even know it was a remake until my friends that I went with told me that night. :monster: I thought it was a pretty decent film for the most part. Most likely sucks in comparison to the original, but I have yet to find out.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
(parts of) Rambo III, xD. It was on the TV for the umpteenth time, and it's a shitty movie -_-.

And Lost ep. 3 and 4 of the latest season.

The Crazies

The remake of George A. Romero's classic. I actually didn't even know it was a remake until my friends that I went with told me that night. :monster: I thought it was a pretty decent film for the most part. Most likely sucks in comparison to the original, but I have yet to find out.
The original wasnt that strong of a film. It had good ideas, but they wernt implemented well.

There Will Be Blood

Awesome acting of course, Lewis is amazing. Overall though it was a pretty good movie. There's some thing that I simply didnt get tho, things that wernt explained even tho they probably should have.
Why did his kid set fire to the house? where did he send him exactly? etc.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
The Wolfman.

Not horrible, not amazing. I was rather impressed by whoever did one of the scenes showing his legs Transforming, because all the bones, actually seemed to grow/move into the correct locations to make it digipedal.

X :neo:

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Well, like I said, to each their own. But there's something deeply flawed with an adaptation if you have to read/watch the original to properly enjoy it. Like the film version of Coraline. (If you haven't seen it, read the book instead. That way you can have Paterson Joseph voice the Cat. It's awesome.)

So, since my last post I have watched:

Clash of the Titans (original): quite a good film, and re-watching it has given me more of an idea what hope for/hope against in the remake. If you know anything about the mythology behind the film, then you'll just have the restrain yourself like I did. (Kraken? Kraken?? That's Norse mythology!)

Outpost: easily the creepiest film I've watched for a while... It could have really warped me out if there had been characters in it, instead of stereotypes :monster: (so many places where they could have added some backstory to the characters and decided not to). Also, these supposed professional mercenaries acted like amateurs. When a technical pacifist can pick holes in your strategy, woe betide you if you face any actual enemies! I did like the reference to the Philadelphia Experiment, though.
The Wolfman.

Not horrible, not amazing. I was rather impressed by whoever did one of the scenes showing his legs Transforming, because all the bones, actually seemed to grow/move into the correct locations to make it digipedal.

X :neo:
It was Rick Baker. You'll know his work from An American Werewolf in London. :)

Pixel

The Pixie King
I watched The Lovely Bones yesterday. That is a beutiful film. I actually found myself tearing up at a few moments. :(

Seriously, watch this film.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Well, like I said, to each their own. But there's something deeply flawed with an adaptation if you have to read/watch the original to properly enjoy it. Like the film version of Coraline. (If you haven't seen it, read the book instead. That way you can have Paterson Joseph voice the Cat. It's awesome.)

Personally I didn't think the movie was very good, but if you ever read the Watchmen novel you'd realize it's basically impossible to make an adaptation with all the nuance of the original. That doesn't mean I can't appreciate the movie as an attempt. The creators treated the source material with utmost respect and did they did not bastardize it like thay could have. Though the attempt was pretty much futile, having been familiar with the original work I was able to say "well... nice try Zack Snyder, nice try."

Not that I'm trying to force you to like the movie or anything! But I do think it's unfair to judge a work based on its film adaptation. It's a nice treat for fans, but I would definitely not try to pass it off as comparable to the original work.

and I loved the film adaptation of Coraline! I thought it was excellent. Deserved best animated feature Oscar IMO (Up was fantastic too, but I liked Coraline a smidge better). Granted, I haven't read the novel so I may have felt differently if I had.

Last movie seen: Alice in Wonderland in IMAX. I can definitely say this is one movie that is a totally different experience if you watch it 3D. If you have the chance, go see it! I didn't expect it to be good AT ALL but surprisingly, I enjoyed way more than I should. The whole film I had a huge smile on my face! Very solid story, and even though the characters and story are a little unfamiliar... it doesn't really matter so much, because I found the entire film very charming.

Last edited:
Saw Alice In Wonderland too

It was alright but.. after getting out and thinking about it, I'm not sure why I even watched it. I mean, aside from the mad hatter no one got any real character development, and even then it was pretty tame.
It was just like.. lets see the characters from wonderland, but they dont really do anything with them. They show up for a few min, then you see them randomly throughout the film giving out a sentence or 2. Hell I think the random dog got more lines than most of the classic characters.
I also thought the actress who played Alice sucked. She had absolutly no personality, and had maybe 2-3 expressions throughout the entire film.
There were some good moments, and theres nothing exactly WRONG with the movie, there was just no point to it, felt hollow.

Plus The Mad Hatter starts breakdancing for some reason.

Top Bottom