Last Film You've Seen

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
• 12 O'Clock High — probably the best/most tense WWII film I've ever seen. I'm generally not big on those kinds of films, but dear gods, this was amazing.
• Letter Never Sent — a decent film about explorers in tough times, but nothing to write home about. :awesomonster:

X :neo:

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
Watched Ip Man 3 today. So good. Not too often do I get to see a subtitled Chinese film in theaters(Once Upon a time in China part II and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon were previous ones). It even received an applause at the end of the movie. Really want the soundtrack of some of those fight scenes. Kenji Kawai awesomeness.

RedFFWolf

Donator
Duel of the Tao Tough :monster:

Every so often, a few of me mates gather together and watch a shite film. They've all been hilarious ones from the Syfy channel, but in this case we switched to an old Kung Fu film after seeing this clip.
It is brilliant, where the term 'brilliant' is a stretch and applies to different concepts over ones normally measured for film critique.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
It has been getting lots of critical acclaims and shit (and nominations), so it's got a good chance. I still need to see it.

I still have a gift certificate (xmas) and a discount certificate (the projector b0rked out while we were watching Star Wars, :awesome: ), so, might catch it in the cinema, assuming it's out here yet.

RedFFWolf

Donator
Next film on the "shitey film" ideas was Dragonball Evolution - you know, that live-action version of Goku...you know, he went to...high school.
Even if the film changed a few names and objects here and there and whatnot, basically branding itself as an original film, it still isn't worth the watch - and, because it takes itself seriously, it's difficult to extract some humourous value in watching it with a few friends :P

Still, we've got Street Fighter this week coming, which, from a compilation of best clips, shows promise (for many different reasons) :P

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
The Hateful Eight. Not bad, not amazing. It was no Inglourious Basterds, no Kill Bill, no Pulp Fiction (which I finally saw last week), but it was still enjoyable.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Kung Fu Killer, er, pretty much what it says on the tin, :mon:. Hunchback of Notre Hong Kong vs Ip Man in some kind of police / serial killer drama. Story is... actually not predictable, but irrelevant because one watches it because of choreography and fite scenes. It seems to be some kind of hommage to Hong Kong movies (or something) too, given how they point out a lot of cameos in the credits (with dudes I don't know, but I'm sure the movie nerds there do)

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Olympus Has Fallen, high anti-Korean, pro 'Murcan propaganda action-thriller much in the spirit of the original Die Hard, but, solid action and shit. Number of plot points that are just stoopid though, such as:

They wouldn't put the 'Murcan president in the same (safe) room as a potential enemy, would they?
They wouldn't put the president and the vice-president in the same room in case of emergency, would they?
They wouldn't allow all of the US' nukes detonate simultaneously with some random codes, would they?
They wouldn't put all three people that have said codes in the same room in case of emergency, would they?
The ones with the codes wouldn't give up said codes just 'cause the president told them to, would they?
They would be able to just change the codes in case the ones that have them were compromised, would they?
They wouldn't fuck around with just two jets and an anti-air system that is fooled by flares when an enemy gunship enters the restricted airspace, would they?
They would go "fuck off" and just allow the president to be killed and such instead of risking thermonuclear warfare and shit, would they?

TL;DR I'm too cynical for this kind of movie, even if they're decent, :monster:

JamesGoblin

Lv. 1 Adventurer
I saw "Once Upon a Time In the West" for the third (or was it fifth?) time. The musuc is getting better and better <3

It was actually an accident, my net stopped working for, like, 3 hours @3 AM, and I couldn't sleep...so I remembered couple old , classic movies a friend gave me in 2010 (!) to "educate myself"
e5000872.png

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
LotR, Fellowship. I still think it and the trilogy are the best movies of all time (and imma let you finish, but). The CGI hasn't aged, the practical effects / masks and shit haven't been surpassed, the soundtrack is exemplary, the scale is something something, etc. The Hobbit was a rushed job and a missed opportunity in comparison, and I don't get why people geek out over Star Wars in comparison.

I may be biased though, it was liek the second movie I ever saw in cinemas.

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
Abortedj, The Offender, Abortedjesus, Testicules,
Well I saw it, but can't finish it. The 7 hour recut of Godfather. After 4 hours, I no longer give a shit.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I watched The Martian. Was pretty good, I enjoyed it quite a bit actually. Came across realistic enough to me, it wasn't some big thriller or action packed and sometimes it super refreshing to watch a movie without so much of that stuff. It had some tense moments but, in a nice way that enhanced the movie.
Kind of a spoiler add-on:
There were for once no alien's in a space movie, and it was extremely refreshing to see them not use the trope of 'out of an entire team, only one survives!' that I've seen used so many times in space movies that it's so boring and aggravating to see. >_>

Anyway, I recommend it, if you like space movies or movies with a realistic flare to it and not all tropey everywhere. :monster:

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Watch Gravity, too - actually I wonder why they were made / released in such (relatively short) succession. Spaaaaaaaaaaaaace

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Sicario.
Holy fuck this movie is intense.

edit: @Yop. Happens in Hollywood all the time when the scripts get shopped around to studios often times they will decline and either get their own in house writers to knock it off asap or will option a similar yet cheaper script that is also floating around to rival the other studios who will undoubtedly pick it up.

Every year you see movies that are really similar.

Man of Steel - Thor 2 : Super strong dude in blue suit who can fly is trying to save Earth from an enemy his family fought in the past. All this enemy wants to do is return the world or the universe to the way it used to be at the cost of Earth!.

White House down - Olympus has fallen : Die hard in the White house lol.

Armageddon - Deep Impact : Asteroids biatch.

It's been going on for ages lol.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Yop, I've already watched Gravity too, but didn't enjoy it as much as The Martian. It had some awesome graphics though :awesome:
It also has the trope of "everyone on the crew but one person dies!" going for it, another reason I sort of roll my eyes at it. *Yes I'm picky* :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Yop, I've already watched Gravity too, but didn't enjoy it as much as The Martian. It had some awesome graphics though :awesome:
It also has the trope of "everyone on the crew but one person dies!" going for it, another reason I sort of roll my eyes at it. *Yes I'm picky* :monster:

Well yeah but it only had two crew, so er, :monster:

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
If you haven't might as well finish up the other recent Space movie

Interstellar :)

edit:

I should note it's very different to The Martian and Gravity. It's very much a throw back Sci fi space films, a la 2001 etc. It's still an excellent movie and honestly my favorite of the 3.

Last edited:

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I watched Interstellar too already :awesome:

I actually really liked the story of it, it was pretty fascinating to me, but the damn loud music really got on my nerves sooo much :closedmonster: I heard it was supposed to make it 'authentic' or something for the viewers, but all it did was make me unable to hear the actors speak and sort of ruined the movie for me because I got irritated by that.

Again, I'm picky. :wacky:

Top Bottom