• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

SPOILERS Leaked Character Screens (Untagged Spoilers, potentially big implications)

SomethingWithTheR

Rookie Adventurer
Well the whole script hasn't leaked. Only portions of scripts from parts of the game. But from what's shown so far, it's fascinating and really interesting as hell. Some parts are especially well done in terms of dialogue, like between Barret, Cloud, and Tifa. And there's some really interesting interactions between Aerith and Cloud.

Also, Hojo has become far more chilling, and disturbing than I could ever imagine. Like, he's high octane nightmare fuel now.
Oh wow. That sounds awesome. Can't wait to see that when the remake comes out. Good to know not everything was leaked.

Limey

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
Limey
Gonna go through some of the other stuff now. Will reorganize more chronologically after I'm done.

Looking through TOWN8 (Chapter 2, Sector 8 Residential Area), where Cloud meets Aerith.

After Avalanche parts ways following the Reactor bombing, Cloud sees the flames of burning buildings and hallucinates an encounter with Sephiroth, in which Sephiroth taunts him (burning his village, killing his mother) in order to stoke Cloud's hatred so their bond remains strong, which we know is how Sephiroth anchors his will to the physical world.

While Cloud is reeling from this vision he meets Aerith, who tries to sell him a flower. She offers to give it to him for free, but he insists on paying 2 gil, and then 5 gil. Though she is willing to part with it for free, she's playfully insulted by how little he's willing to pay for it. She says it would be a good gift for his girlfriend, and that this is a type of flower that lovers used to give each other upon reuniting. She also mentions that they "scare them away," referring to the Whispers. He tells her that he's involved in dangerous things and should stay away from him. They are briefly assaulted by Whispers but this seems to be interrupted when Shinra Security arrives and Cloud makes his escape to the Sector 7 Slums

SLUM7 (Chapter 3, Sector 7 Slums) is massive and too difficult to really go through. Suffice it to say they flesh out this section with extra characters, sidequests, and additional content.

Lot of people in the slums worried about terrorism and what's going on after the Reactor explosion.

Chadley is an intern for the Shinra Research and Development Department. He gives you quests to collect intel on enemies using the Assess materia, and develops new materia for you as you progress.

Katie gives you rewards for slaying monsters. Seems like this might be a monthly tally, suggesting that new content / rewards could be added to the game each month?

SLU5B (Chapter 9-10, Sector 5/6 Slums, Wall Market) is also pretty massive, again due to an abundance of characters, sidequests, and additional content.

Some of this has already been datamined, but Aerith does indeed mention Zack by name, as her first love, which seems to cause Cloud to have a headache or something. She also asks for repayment for the damage Cloud caused in the form of "one date." She also seems to say some things that Cloud recognizes as things she probably learned from a SOLDIER.

Mireille and Aerith are friendly with each other, and Mireille has sidequests here. Seems she has a reputation as the town gossip, and is a fan of secrets, which makes perfect sense. Apparently people in Sector 5 call Aerith the guardian angel of the slums.

Moggie is the kid running the Moogle Club, and there are minigames you can play to earn moogle medals to spend at the Moogle Emporium.

There are a lot of new bits involved with the crossdressing mission, and it seems like Aerith ropes other people to participate in the plan to get Cloud into Corneo's manor with her, including Madam M, Andrea Rhodea, Johnny, Sam, and others. Some of the old steps are still there, but now it seems that there are a variety of different dresses obtained from different quests, the best seemingly being a million gil that must be earned by winning the Corneo Cup tournament. Seems like there's a ton of different possible outcomes and responses from NPCs and Honeybee Inn staff depending on how well Cloud pulls it off. Seems like the dance minigame is also part of this, as Cloud gets pulled on stage by a dancer named Aniyan.

Aerith: Wow, Cloud. Now that was a show!
Aerith: Cloud?
Aerith: Yoo-hoo. Cloud? Hello?
Aerith: Aerith to Cloud. Come in!
Cloud: Please don't.
Cloud: Not a word.
Aerith: Not even one?
Cloud: No.
Aerith: But you're so pretty!

Tifa: Wait a minute.
Tifa: Cloud!? Is that you!?
Tifa: Oh my god, that makeup! And that dress!
Cloud: Nailed it, I know. Thank you. Moving on.

Palmer can be seen hanging out at Honey Bee Inn, having paid for a day's entertainment.
I do wonder if Mukki and his Young Bubby’s club will make any appearance...

Saven

Pro Adventurer
Well the whole script hasn't leaked. Only portions of scripts from parts of the game. But from what's shown so far, it's fascinating and really interesting as hell. Some parts are especially well done in terms of dialogue, like between Barret, Cloud, and Tifa. And there's some really interesting interactions between Aerith and Cloud.

Also, Hojo has become far more chilling, and disturbing than I could ever imagine. Like, he's high octane nightmare fuel now.

This is a relief to hear. I was becoming a little worried after some of the reactions I was reading concerning the dialogue yesterday.

Aranea

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Some materia and Cloud & Sephiroth dialogue from the trailer we saw a while ago.
ENgq9rmX0AMzRcn

ENg_Te2WkAElBW6

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
The entries for the Guardians of Destiny, or Whispers are:

Creatures that appear when someone tries to change destiny's course. They are connected to all the threads of time and space that shape the planet's future.

The physical manifestations of future destiny, they fight with swords/barehanded/guns (depending on the variant) to protect the future that shaped them.

I simply do not know what to make of this. It's intriguing but tbh I need to see the context of what this all is, and how it fits. Essentially, these Whispers are somehow entities created by the Planet, that are fighting to exist and maintain the future that spawns them. They appear to somehow force actions or whatever that spawns their destiny. Destiny, is a concept that is somehow connected to the shaping of a planet's future.... Which now apparently has creations or manifestations called Whispers that want to ensure their own survival. That's fascinating and deep but where does it lead?

Why are they connected to Sephiroth? He's nothing close to a Guardian of Destiny or protector of the planet's future. Has his existence in the Lifestream now warped the planet's destiny so terribly that he has now hijacked these entities to enact his will and purpose, thereby using the planet's own future protection system against it and further his ambition to become the god of said planet?

Sephiroth's goal has always been to become one with the planet. What better way to become one with it, by making it inevitable? It's destiny.

That would be an interesting flex to give Sephiroth, that's for sure. The main characters definitely aren't fighting for a future that is opposed to the continued survival and existence of the planet's future, they're fighting a future where Sephiroth achieves his goal and becomes one with the planet. Why would these entities want to protect a future where Sephiroth slams a Meteor into the Planet? Unless they're entities from the warped destiny that wish to fight for its existence?

Definitely would be a twisted turn of events...I guess we'll definitely need to play the game and see it ourselves to fully grasp this.

Honestly, these Guardians of Destiny are the only thing that have me a little concerned about the remake at this moment. These in-game descriptions have me worried that the developers may be planning to go the recently popular route with remakes/reboots of
a time traveler from the original title creating a new timeline. This was done with "Soul Calibur VI," the revamped "Mortal Kombat," and the J.J. Abrams-helmed "Star Trek."

Though successful and appropriate for at least two of those three franchises, I don't feel this would be the case for FFVII. I see no benefit from it.

Remember that the procedure to make a Sephiroth Copy is the exact same process used to make SOLDIER.

Well, it used to be, sure. Crisis Core went out of its way to change that without needing to, though, so who knows what the case will be in the remake.=/

Makoeyes987 said:
The reason Genesis and Hollander went after Cloud and Zack was because they were "fresh" and newly experimented on. They hoped the Jenova cells they contained would be as closest to pure and untainted by genetic material from their hosts, as possible.
I mean, how fresh could they be after four+ years?

For that matter, if there wasn't supposed to be something different about the preparation of these "S-cells," it makes little sense to have coined a different name for these particular Jenova cells, no?

Well, Crisis Core called the results of Jenova Project G, G-Type SOLDIERs, and those of course are Angeal and Genesis.

This is what G-Type SOLDIERs are defined as in the Crisis Core Complete Guide too. So given the terminology and explanation, I'm more inclined to believe Hojo has some Genesis Copies in storage as research samples. Since they're clones of Genesis and all that.

The Hellspawn of G, the Tsviets, share Genesis' genes but I imagine they presumably carry very little genetic material of Jenova since they're not direct products of the Jenova Project.

Weiss is considered pure, too. He's untainted by Jenova cells or anything, which is why he's considered a perfect host for Omega. So yeah, there shouldn't be any real Jenova in him to function as a G type.
Depending on how broadly the term is being applied, the Tsviets could arguably still be seen as results of Project G and, thus, G-Type SOLDIERs.

The CC Complete Guide does, after all, add that "in a broader sense, it also includes Hollander, who had applied the same treatment to himself during the game" -- but he most certainly didn't apply it to himself while in the womb. =P Hollander gave himself some of Genesis's cells and became a Genesis Copy, just as Lazard became an Angeal Copy.

What that leaves us to conclude, I think, is that the Genesis and Angeal copies could be seen as G-Type SOLDIERs as well. If that is a sound conclusion, then surely those Tsviets who had some of Genesis's traits genetically engineered onto their own DNA would consequently be seen as G-Type SOLDIERs as well, even in the absence of carrying Genesis, Angeal, or Jenova's cellular matter? They still bear genetic information that was the product of Project G.

Jimmy XH

Pro Adventurer
Yes. Yes it is.

When you look back on the OG, you'd have thought that someone within Shinra (i.e. The Turks, the President in the reactor, Hojo, etc etc etc, would recognise Cloud or know that his outfit was a SOLDIER uniform. There might be a lot of little hints like this along the way that help pave the way to Cloud's episode in Mideel.

New to TLS, by the way. Tried to avoid the spoilers but I just couldn't help myself....!

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Yes. Yes it is.

When you look back on the OG, you'd have thought that someone within Shinra (i.e. The Turks, the President in the reactor, Hojo, etc etc etc, would recognise Cloud or know that his outfit was a SOLDIER uniform. There might be a lot of little hints like this along the way that help pave the way to Cloud's episode in Mideel.

New to TLS, by the way. Tried to avoid the spoilers but I just couldn't help myself....!
Welcome an' shit. :monster:

I think both Reno and President Shinra do comment on the SOLDIER thing in the original, but no one points out that they recognize the sword as Zack's. Something they really should have in light of how well known to basically everyone Zack was in Crisis Core.

It seems like that is being addressed here -- or maybe this lone trooper commenting on it is supposed to serve as foreshadowing that Aerith recognizes it too?

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Honestly, these Guardians of Destiny are the only thing that have me a little concerned about the remake at this moment. These in-game descriptions have me worried that the developers may be planning to go the recently popular route with remakes/reboots of
a time traveler from the original title creating a new timeline. This was done with "Soul Calibur VI," the revamped "Mortal Kombat," and the J.J. Abrams-helmed "Star Trek."

Yeah, but I don't really see them doing that here. Like, it's possible but, it seems more like that Whispers are a sort of meta-commentary about the changes we are seeing happening in the game's progression to differentiate it from the OG. The writers are kinda placing this whole conflict as a "fight for the planet's fate" that for us, the player, is creating changes we know and see that are different than the OG. It's their signal to us that they are aware the plot's changing and moving in directions we simply cannot expect such as
Wedge surviving further along than the OG
and other such things.

Which in turn, is all an attempt at Sephiroth cementing himself as the center of the planet's fate and mastermind of the entire game.

I think it's honestly more a flex for Sephiroth's powers and an attempt to better explain his role as head villain in the narrative of FFVII. One of the things that ended up ambiguous for some players through the years, is who was the one controlling things? Jenova or Sephiroth? I firmly believe the writers are trying to make it as explicitly clear Sephiroth is the leader and main force driving the plot. Especially since they're showcasing him early. They want to make it explicit and showcase Sephiroth as being a truly powerful nemesis and outright threat to the entire planet.

I just don't see them cribbing FFXIII-2 and making Sephiroth a quasi-Caius Ballad who is trying to manipulate the timeline to end up jerry rigging the plot with paradoxes or changes that end up altering the future. I mean, we'll see in the end, but no mention of actual time travel/temporal anomalies makes me think that. It's just a new element has been added to the apparent doctrine of Planetary Theory. A planet's desire to protect and further it's own destiny among the stars.

Though successful and appropriate for at least two of those three franchises, I don't feel this would be the case for FFVII. I see no benefit from it.

I mean, I don't think its necessary either. If they do it, it would depend on how they implemented it and how it would even materialize, for me to make a judgment. However I just simply don't see an indication of it. With XIII-2 there was a build up and indication of "things aren't what they seem in terms of temporal stability" with major plot crossroads/events being just outright changed or fundamentally paradox'd. I just don't see a Knight of Etro Cloud battling Sephiroth at the center of the Planet's crystal and trying to thwart him undoing his own end :monster:

As hilarious as that would be.

Well, it used to be, sure. Crisis Core went out of its way to change that without needing to, though, so who knows what the case will be in the remake.=/

I mean, they changed it only by adding a new layer to the whole Jenova Project but unless they say something different, I'm not seeing a reason to assume it changed. It's a major part of VII's plot, with how Cloud goes and says he's built like SOLDIER and the whole Reunion Theory experiment was identical to SOLDIER, with the difference being who the subject candidates were.

I mean, how fresh could they be after four+ years?

They were fresh in the sense that Genesis and Hollander had no idea when exactly they were administered these cells in their experiment and they had not been tested. The CC Complete Guide even says that they only called Cloud the "last pure S cells" because they hadn't tested him yet and they simply didn't know if he were a possible good source. It was more a frantic search of desperation, rather than any actual insight or knowledge of them being "pure."

For that matter, if there wasn't supposed to be something different about the preparation of these "S-cells," it makes little sense to have coined a different name for these particular Jenova cells, no?

There's a difference in the preparation compared to what was done with Jenova and its cells for Project G and Hojo's use of Jenova that would end up creating SOLDIER. I think it's meant to show the difference between the two projects.

Depending on how broadly the term is being applied, the Tsviets could arguably still be seen as results of Project G and, thus, G-Type SOLDIERs.

The CC Complete Guide does, after all, add that "in a broader sense, it also includes Hollander, who had applied the same treatment to himself during the game" -- but he most certainly didn't apply it to himself while in the womb. =P Hollander gave himself some of Genesis's cells and became a Genesis Copy, just as Lazard became an Angeal Copy.

When Hojo's horrifying dialogue was confirmed real, I had to stop and think how in the world he could even be saying that, given the fact Angeal died and Genesis cocooned himself deep underground from everyone. However, yes, Hollander becoming a G-Type SOLDIER and Genesis being cured of his degeneration made me realize that if Genesis' own degeneration can be passed to his copies due to them having a link to his biological state, then the reverse could theoretically be true as well. Copies are classified as G-Type SOLDIERs so it's conceivable Shinra captured or acquired some along the way. They share his state and biology, so they too become G-Type SOLDIERs.

What that leaves us to conclude, I think, is that the Genesis and Angeal copies could be seen as G-Type SOLDIERs as well. If that is a sound conclusion, then surely those Tsviets who had some of Genesis's traits genetically engineered onto their own DNA would consequently be seen as G-Type SOLDIERs as well, even in the absence of carrying Genesis, Angeal, or Jenova's cellular matter? They still bear genetic information that was the product of Project G.

..I... I just don't think I'm ready to imagine Hojo suggesting Aerith taste the SOLDIER rainbow for the sake of science. I just don't think I have it in me to accept that....

Besides as I said before, Weiss the Immaculate, is called "the Immaculate" for a reason. He's pure. He's seen as a perfect host candidate for Omega because he's not tainted by Jenova or anything. That certainly would preclude him being a carrier of Jenova cells. The Tsviets carry Genesis' genetic info, but its somehow not enough to classify them as proper Jenova siblings.

Oh, now this is interesting:

"Wait! I know that sword."

The plot: it thickens, yes?

Wow, that's incredible.

And that recognition was already strongly hinted at with Aerith's facial expression upon her noticing Cloud's Buster Sword on his back. Her eyes widened and gave a strong indication of recognition and astonishment of Zack's weapon he carried all the time when they were together. Glad to see it verbally acknowledged as well.

That look alone and subtle acknowledgment is a perfect example of how the interactions and events in this Remake end up having brand new contexts and vibrancy just by the addition of voice acting, facial capture, and more. It's extremely exciting.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Yeah, but I don't really see them doing that here. Like, it's possible but, it seems more like that Whispers are a sort of meta-commentary about the changes we are seeing happening in the game's progression to differentiate it from the OG. The writers are kinda placing this whole conflict as a "fight for the planet's fate" that for us, the player, is creating changes we know and see that are different than the OG. It's their signal to us that they are aware the plot's changing and moving in directions we simply cannot expect such as
Wedge surviving further along than the OG
and other such things.

That's an intriguing theory on the origin of the idea. Still, it ultimately needs to be something that makes narrative sense, and I just hope it's not what immediately comes to mind for me.

Mako said:
There's a difference in the preparation compared to what was done with Jenova and its cells for Project G and Hojo's use of Jenova that would end up creating SOLDIER. I think it's meant to show the difference between the two projects.

But again, the CC Complete Guide specifies that these were Jenova cells prepared for use in the Sephiroth Copy project, not that these are just the same Jenova cells used in the broader SOLDIER process. There's a separate term being used in association with a specific experiment.

Mako said:
..I... I just don't think I'm ready to imagine Hojo suggesting Aerith taste the SOLDIER rainbow for the sake of science. I just don't think I have it in me to accept that....

I mean, he's obviously suggesting it for the S-Types, so why not for the G-Types?

Mako said:
Besides as I said before, Weiss the Immaculate, is called "the Immaculate" for a reason. He's pure. He's seen as a perfect host candidate for Omega because he's not tainted by Jenova or anything. That certainly would preclude him being a carrier of Jenova cells. The Tsviets carry Genesis' genetic info, but its somehow not enough to classify them as proper Jenova siblings.

Even in the real world, successful artificial synthesis of DNA and genetically modified organisms (a.k.a. GMOs) have been a thing for close to 50 years. The first transgenic animal, a mouse given a virus's DNA, was produced in 1974.

Genes can, thus, be isolated; even copied without using the original organism's physical material; and transferred within and across species, or even kingdoms (the second highest taxonomic rank).

This notion used to confuse the hell out of me, and I guess it still does, but apparently Genesis's genes could legitimately be transferred to others without his actual cells being transferred to them. That's why Weiss remains The Immaculate even with Genesis's genes.

Mako said:
Wow, that's incredible.

And that recognition was already strongly hinted at with Aerith's facial expression upon her noticing Cloud's Buster Sword on his back. Her eyes widened and gave a strong indication of recognition and astonishment of Zack's weapon he carried all the time when they were together. Glad to see it verbally acknowledged as well.

Yeah, I remember there being quite a lot of speculation that Aerith seemed to recognize the sword there. Nice to have confirmation that the people around Cloud who should recognize this sword are going to.

Mako said:
That look alone and subtle acknowledgment is a perfect example of how the interactions and events in this Remake end up having brand new contexts and vibrancy just by the addition of voice acting, facial capture, and more. It's extremely exciting.
It is very exciting, but admittedly a tad worrisome as well. For better or worse, this will make for an altogether different experience.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
But again, the CC Complete Guide specifies that these were Jenova cells prepared for use in the Sephiroth Copy project, not that these are just the same Jenova cells used in the broader SOLDIER process. There's a separate term being used in association with a specific experiment.

Right, but then in VII they say the Sephiroth Copy/Reunion experiment is the same as the SOLDIER process. So by that logic, they should be the same. Yes, it's a differentiated term for the Reunion Theory experiment but by the process of logical deduction they should be the same. If they change it, okay, but going by all information we have now, they're the same.

I mean, he's obviously suggesting it for the S-Types, so why not for the G-Types?

....Because I just don't think I can handle the image of
Azul, Weiss, and Nero lining up and takin' turns upon direction of Hojo and Shinra. I just can't. It's like a bad doujin you'd find in the adult section of Comiket. It's just... That just is so out there and bizarre to imagine.

Hell, the fact Hojo is recommending this in the Shinra Executive meaning and only Reeve Tuesti has the sense to say, "GOOD GOD, MR. PRESIDENT, WHAT IS THIS?" Is like, mind-blowing. Everyone on the Shinra Executive Board is down with Hojo dead ass making a porno for himself, "for science?" Like, no on bats an eye at this?

Yes, I know it's the same suggestion for the S-Type SOLDIERs and that's out-there too! At least that's not conjuring images of specific characters being directed to breed her.

Even in the real world, successful artificial synthesis of DNA and genetically modified organisms (a.k.a. GMOs) have been a thing for close to 50 years. The first transgenic animal, a mouse given a virus's DNA, was produced in 1974.

I mean, even if you believe Hojo's intention of doing this only "for science" and using artsem, that's still just suuuuuuper creepy because Hojo's turning Aerith into a baby factory breeder. :monster:

Genes can, thus, be isolated; even copied without using the original organism's physical material; and transferred within and across species, or even kingdoms (the second highest taxonomic rank).

This notion used to confuse the hell out of me, and I guess it still does, but apparently Genesis's genes could legitimately be transferred to others without his actual cells being transferred to them. That's why Weiss remains The Immaculate even with Genesis's genes.

But wasn't the implication from Hojo's statement of "crossbred specimen," a baby that was both a Cetra and carrier of Jenova's cells? I thought that was what he referred to, which would require all participants to be proper SOLDIERs who carried those cells. How would the experimental subject born from such a procedure be a "crossbred specimen" if they merely carried Genesis' genes but no actual Jenova cells?

It is very exciting, but admittedly a tad worrisome as well. For better or worse, this will make for an altogether different experience.

Well I mean, they did tell us that was what was going to happen with this Remake, right? I think it's exciting :monster:

Maidenofwar

They/Them
Some thoughts on Aerith, Cloud, Zack

Unsure how I feel. I don't think Aerith is fully aware of everything or knows the whole truth or managed to figure out the whole and full thing while in Cloud's head or anything and she can maybe only get inside when he's sleeping for dream visiting and stuff? and either she respectfully doesn't just wander around in there willy nilly or there's parts of his mind she can't get to, Sephiroth/Jenova blocking things maybe?

In the OG Cloud had the sleeping forest and Aerith dream and the feel her in my soul city of the ancients/forgotten city dealy but I think perhaps in the remake with it happening beforehand it's either ok yeah that happened but it's not a regular occurrence and another dream doesn't happen till much later like in OG ... but or it is but there is only so much Aerith can do, maybe if they do the flashback in Kalm thing afterwards she even discusses matters with Tifa at some point?

Last edited:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Materia analysis based on this post by Obsidian Fire. There may be more (there's summon lore apparently) but I'm not looking at everything. Feel free to build on/correct this. Some general notes:

-The script refers to all instances of materia as "orbs" which I'm sure will delight fanfiction writers everywhere.
-Like the OG, there is no strict naming convention, most are present-tense verbs but there are some past-tense verbs, adjectives, nouns, etc. Some present-tense verbs from the OG (e.g. "Absorb") has become a noun ("Absorption").
-There are some materia that govern how non-controlled party members' AI behaves.

First, the full list with just the alt-text slugline (presumably displayed when pressing select on the item entry in the menu)
AP Up. Increases amount of AP earned for linked materia.
Assess. Allows you to use Assess.
ATB Assist. Slightly fills teammates' ATB gauges when ATB commands are used back-to-back.
ATB Boost. Doubles ATB when activated. Cannot be used continuously. Press (L1) + (R1) to activate.
ATB Stagger. Increases ATB when staggering an enemy.
Auto-Cure. Casts Cure on severely injured allies up to a set number of times. Will not activate if the character does not have enough ATB charges and MP, or the player is controlling the character.
Bahamut. Allows you to summon Bahamut.
Barrier. Allows you to use defensive spells.
Binding. Allows you to use disruptive spells.
Cactuar. Allows you to summon a cactuar.
Carbuncle. Allows you to summon Carbuncle.
Chakra. Allows you to restore your own HP and cure poison with Chakra. The amount restored is relative to your current HP, and more is restored the lower your HP.
Chocobo & Moogle. Allows you to summon a chocobo and moogle.
Chocobo Chick. Allows you to summon a chocobo chick.
Cleansing. Allows you to use curative spells.
Deadly Dodge. Attack command will do area damage immediately after dodging.
Elemental. Adds the element of the linked materia to your equipment, infusing your attacks with and gaining resistance to that element. When more than one is set, only the first takes effect. Works with fire, ice, lightning, and wind materia.
Enemy Skill. Allows you to learn certain enemy techniques that you've endured and use them as abilities. These abilities can only be used when the materia is set to your equipment.
EXP Up. Increases the amount of EXP you earn in battle.
Fat Chocobo. Allows you to summon a fat chocobo.
Fire. Allows you to use fire magic.
First Strike. Increases how full the ATB gauge is at the start of battle.
Gil Up. Increases the amount of gil you earn in battle.
Healing. Allows you to use healing spells.
HP Absorption. Allows you to recover HP when unleashing an attack of the linked materia's type.
HP Up. Increases your max HP. The total boost limit is +100% when more than one is equipped.
Ice. Allows you to use ice magic.
Ifrit. Allows you to summon Ifrit.
Item Master. Increases the effectiveness of items used in battle.
Leviathan. Allows you to summon Leviathan.
Lightning. Allows you to use lightning magic.
Luck Up. Increases your luck. The total boost limit is +100% when more than one is equipped.
Magic Up. Increases your magic attack power. The total boost limit is +100% when more than one is equipped.
Magnify. Allows you to expand the range of spells with the linked materia. To switch back to a single target, press (L1) when selecting a spell.
MP Absorption. Allows you to recover MP when unleashing an attack of the linked materia's type.
MP Up. Increases your max MP. The total boost limit is +100% when more than one is equipped.
Parry. Guards against enemy attacks and allows you to quickly unleash your next move. Hold (R1) and press (cancel) to activate. Deals a small amount of damage.
Pedometer. May do something after taking a number of steps with it set.
Poison. Allows you to use toxin-related spells.
Prayer. Allows you to restore the party's HP with Pray.
Provoke. Automatically uses Provoke to temporarily draw the enemy's attention when teammates are severely injured. Ineffective against powerful enemies. Will not activate if the player is controlling the character.
Refocus. Allows you to use the Refocus limit break. Can only be used once per battle.
Revival. Allows you to use revival spells.
Shiva. Allows you to summon Shiva.
Steadfast Block. Further decreases enemy damage and fills the ATB gauge faster when guarding.
Skill Master. Slightly fills the ATB gauge when multiple ATB commands are performed.
Steal. Allows you to use Steal.
Subversion. Allows you to use subversive spells.
Synergy. Allows you to follow the leader's attack command with an attack from linked materia. Works with fire, ice, lightning, wind, and poison materia.
Time. Allows you to use time magic.
Warding. Grants resistance to the linked materia's status ailment. Works with poison, time, bind, and subversion materia.
Wind. Allows you to use wind magic.

And now, organized by color (based on my assumptions) and some analysis:

---MAGIC MATERIA---
Auto-Cure.
Casts Cure on severely injured allies up to a set number of times. Will not activate if the character does not have enough ATB charges and MP, or the player is controlling the character. (Not quite sure where to put this, as it's one of those AI materia, but it doesn't seem to require you to link it to the Healing materia, so its not Support. And it consumes MP, so it's not Command or Independent...)
Barrier. Allows you to use defensive spells.
Binding. Allows you to use disruptive spells. (b/c a support materia groups this materia in with Poison, Subversion, and Time, I assume this contains various status effect spells -- it could be a reskin of Mystify (confuse, berserk) or Transform (mini, toad) which are both originally found on the West Continent.)
Chakra. Allows you to restore your own HP and cure poison with Chakra. The amount restored is relative to your current HP, and more is restored the lower your HP. (This could also be a Command materia. We've seen Chakra in other FFs as a monk ability, it usually restores HP and MP and doesn't cure poison.)
Cleansing. Allows you to use curative spells. (I assume this is Heal, not Restore, as "cleanse" implies a removal of status effects, and the description of Chakra uses "cure" to describe the removal of the poison status effect. The language around curing and healing is as obfuscated as ever. Anyway, Heal was formerly found in Kalm.)
Fire. Allows you to use fire magic.
Healing. Allows you to use healing spells. (I assume this is Restore, not Heal.)
Ice. Allows you to use ice magic.
Lightning. Allows you to use lightning magic.
Poison. Allows you to use toxin-related spells. (Formerly found in Kalm. Why doesn't the description just say "poison magic"?)
Prayer. Allows you to restore the party's HP with Pray. (No Restore-All? Or, rather, Healing-Magnify? Booo. This might even be a Command materia, depending on whether Pray consumes MP or not.)
Revival. Allows you to use revival spells. (Formerly Revive, found in Junon)
Subversion. Allows you to use subversive spells. (b/c a support materia grouping this materia in with poison, bind, and time, I assume this contains various status effect spells -- it could be a reskin of Mystify (confuse, berserk) or Transform (mini, toad) which are both originally found on the West Continent.)
Time. Allows you to use time magic. (Formerly found in Gongaga.)
Wind. Allows you to use wind magic. (Wow!)

---SUPPORT MATERIA---
AP Up.
Increases amount of AP earned for linked materia. (Ooh baby!)
Elemental. Adds the element of the linked materia to your equipment, infusing your attacks with and gaining resistance to that element. When more than one is set, only the first takes effect. Works with fire, ice, lightning, and wind materia. (Looks like weapon/armor placement is irrelevant, you get both)
HP Absorption. Allows you to recover HP when unleashing an attack of the linked materia's type. (Formerly HP Absorb, found during Yuffie's questline.)
Magnify. Allows you to expand the range of spells with the linked materia. To switch back to a single target, press (L1) when selecting a spell. (This functionally replaces the All materia with an AoE version of the linked spell. (sidenote: that's what I did with my ttrpg system!))
MP Absorption. Allows you to recover MP when unleashing an attack of the linked materia's type. (Formerly MP Absorb, found during Yuffie's questline.)
Synergy. Allows you to follow the leader's attack command with an attack from linked materia. Works with fire, ice, lightning, wind, and poison materia. (Another AI control materia, this one's clearly a Support. Could be fun to use, especially with a straight black mage build.)
Warding. Grants resistance to the linked materia's status ailment. Works with poison, time, bind, and subversion materia. (This is just the armor version of Added Effect, as it doesn't appear that weapon/armor placement has any relevance for this or Elemental anymore.)

---COMMAND MATERIA---
Assess. Allows you to use Assess. (This is a reskin of Sense, we've seen it in action during official presentations.)
ATB Boost. Doubles ATB when activated. Cannot be used continuously. Press (L1) + (R1) to activate. (What do they mean by continuously? Is there a recharge on this ability?)
Deadly Dodge. Attack command will do area damage immediately after dodging. (One of those 'not sure if yellow or purple' materia. Since you activate it by dodging, I'm guessing yellow).
Enemy Skill. Allows you to learn certain enemy techniques that you've endured and use them as abilities. These abilities can only be used when the materia is set to your equipment.
Parry. Guards against enemy attacks and allows you to quickly unleash your next move. Hold (R1) and press (cancel) to activate. Deals a small amount of damage.
Refocus. Allows you to use the Refocus limit break. Can only be used once per battle. (This is... a really cool concept)
Steal. Allows you to use Steal.

---INDEPENDENT MATERIA---
ATB Assist.
Slightly fills teammates' ATB gauges when ATB commands are used back-to-back.
ATB Stagger. Increases ATB when staggering an enemy.
EXP Up. Increases the amount of EXP you earn in battle. (Formerly EXP Plus, won at Wonder Square)
First Strike. Increases how full the ATB gauge is at the start of battle. (A kind of modified Speed Plus? But nerfed)
Gil Up. Increases the amount of gil you earn in battle. (Formerly Gil Plus, found at Wonder Square)
HP Up. Increases your max HP. The total boost limit is +100% when more than one is equipped. (Formerly HP Plus, found in Cosmo Canyon)
Item Master. Increases the effectiveness of items used in battle. (In other FFs this is usually called "chemist")
Luck Up. Increases your luck. The total boost limit is +100% when more than one is equipped. (Formerly Luck Plus, found at the Temple of the Ancients)
Magic Up. Increases your magic attack power. The total boost limit is +100% when more than one is equipped. (Formerly Magic Plus, found at the Forgotten City)
MP Up. Increases your max MP. The total boost limit is +100% when more than one is equipped. (Formerly MP Plus, found in Cosmo Canyon)
Pedometer. May do something after taking a number of steps with it set. (Eh? Like a cat's bell? What could it be I wonder...?)
Provoke. Automatically uses Provoke to temporarily draw the enemy's attention when teammates are severely injured. Ineffective against powerful enemies. Will not activate if the player is controlling the character. (This seems to be a modified version of Cover, using the new AI)
Steadfast Block. Further decreases enemy damage and fills the ATB gauge faster when guarding. (This is also a kind of nerfed Speed Plus)
Skill Master. Slightly fills the ATB gauge when multiple ATB commands are performed.

---SUMMON MATERIA---
Bahamut. Allows you to summon Bahamut. (Formerly found in the Temple of the Ancients.)
Cactuar. Allows you to summon a cactuar. (new)
Carbuncle. Allows you to summon Carbuncle. (new)
Chocobo & Moogle. Allows you to summon a chocobo and moogle. (Formerly Choco/Mog, found at the chocobo ranch.)
Chocobo Chick. Allows you to summon a chocobo chick. (new)
Fat Chocobo. Allows you to summon a fat chocobo. (Formerly part of Choco/Mog as a rare percentage chance to appear instead.)
Ifrit. Allows you to summon Ifrit. (Formerly found on the cargo ship.)
Leviathan. Allows you to summon Leviathan. (Yuffie confirmed! jk. It was formerly the reward for completing her questline.)
Shiva. Allows you to summon Shiva. (Formerly found in Junon.)

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Right, but then in VII they say the Sephiroth Copy/Reunion experiment is the same as the SOLDIER process. So by that logic, they should be the same. Yes, it's a differentiated term for the Reunion Theory experiment but by the process of logical deduction they should be the same. If they change it, okay, but going by all information we have now, they're the same.

Going by the original game, Barret was out of town when Shinra attacked Corel and it was plausible for Red XIII to think he was the last of his kind. =P Compilation changed some things, often without good reason.

Not that Dinne is one of those things, mind you. I actually think she's one of the more appealing changes. I'm just saying you'd better expect differences in dialogue where Red XIII's race is concerned this time around.

Mako said:
But wasn't the implication from Hojo's statement of "crossbred specimen," a baby that was both a Cetra and carrier of Jenova's cells? I thought that was what he referred to, which would require all participants to be proper SOLDIERs who carried those cells. How would the experimental subject born from such a procedure be a "crossbred specimen" if they merely carried Genesis' genes but no actual Jenova cells?

Hojo didn't say anything about Jenova specifically there, just that he would recommend starting with SOLDIERs for the breeding purposes since they lacked an ideal male candidate.

Even if that's what he was going for, though, I don't see why it should matter if he used the Tsviets. The genetic "data" is there regardless.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Going by the original game, Barret was out of town when Shinra attacked Corel and it was plausible for Red XIII to think he was the last of his kind. =P Compilation changed some things, often without good reason.

Not that Dinne is one of those things, mind you. I actually think she's one of the more appealing changes. I'm just saying you'd better expect differences in dialogue where Red XIII's race is concerned this time around.

Oh of course, it does. But I just assume no change unless something explicit says otherwise. It definitely could be the case S cells are exclusive to the Reunion Theory experiment but it's much simpler to assume no change or contradiction until otherwise stated. Its hard enough keeping up with fluctuations of the plot, as is :monster:

Hojo didn't say anything about Jenova specifically there, just that he would recommend starting with SOLDIERs for the breeding purposes since they lacked an ideal male candidate.

Even if that's what he was going for, though, I don't see why it should matter if he used the Tsviets. The genetic "data" is there regardless.

Fair enough, Hojo didn't. I just thought his implied aim was to create a literal Jenova Cetra baby. It would definitely be something new and unprecedented. But this Hojo.

He'd probably want to include Tsviets in the equation, just for their distinct genetic attributes anyways.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
When I first read the text on the Guardians of Destiny, my initial reaction was that it sounded a lot like how Sephrioth ended up using both the WEAPONs and the Black Materia to further his goals. That is, Sephrioth used something natural to the Planet to wreck the Planet. Only now that plot seems to be going further back in the story. So in Midgard, Sephrioth uses the Guardiens of Destiny. In the middle part of the game, Sephrioth casts Meteor. In the later part of the game, Sephrioth brings out the weapons as a distraction....

Some of the first leaked (and now confirmed) text exchanges between Sephiroth and Cloud has Sephrioth telling Cloud to save the Planet... Which... if you know Sephrioth is at the Northern Crater absorbing the Lifestream, makes a lot of sense. He'd like Shin-Ra to not decrease the mako he can get a hold on. So it didn't seem that big a leap that the Guardians of Destiny were something the Planet used for some purpose and then Sephrioth found them, got control of them and is now using them to get Cloud to do what Sephrioth wants him to.

Top Bottom