• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Legendary Pictures' Godzilla

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I've only ever liked two Godzilla movies in my life: Godzilla vs Hedora and Godzilla Resurgence.

So I'll probably give this one a pass until it pops up on Red Box.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
First image of Godzilla: King of the Monsters released!

tto3cptovqnazgnqltaa.jpg

X :neo:

Ghost X

Re: trailer. Don't like the aesthetic. I hope that Eleven don't die half way through act one :p. Will need to see more trailers before I decide on this one.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I was having fun with that website yesterday, scanning around the world and stuff to find the beasties. I think I'll have to watch this when it comes out because, come on, gigantic monsters, hello, yes. :monster:

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Holy crap that trailer looks so cool. O_O I'm totally going to watch this. I've never really delved into a lot of godzilla lore and stuff so I'm curious to know what's going to happen with this. Is this based on the comics or something, or it's own story?

The lady in the trailer almost makes the giant monsters sound benevolent but they seem more like Weapons from VII to me :awesome:

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
I hope that Eleven don't die half way through act one :p.

Or Vera Farmiga. Never forget what they did to Bryan Cranston.

I think at the very least is going to be a visual spectacle and the fights are going to be awesome, will the plot hold up unlike the first one? Who knows.

Also Charles Dance saying "long live the king" is hilarious.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Holy crap that trailer looks so cool. O_O I'm totally going to watch this. I've never really delved into a lot of godzilla lore and stuff so I'm curious to know what's going to happen with this. Is this based on the comics or something, or it's own story?

So Godzilla all have their own continuities across carious bits of the films, so Legendary's thing is all its own. That being said, they're pulling the creatures and things from the films, and just making the versions sort of their own. It seems like this is pulling the basic lineup from Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster, which pits Godzilla, Mothra, & Rodan against King Ghidorah. (Worth a watch if you want to check it out)

Ghidorah is basically as strong as the three of them combined. He's larger than any of them, can fly like Mothra & Rodan, has three heads – each of which can fire bolts of electricity from its mouth like Godzilla can do with his atomic breath. Most often, Ghidorah is also extraterrestrial in nature and represents the closest things that Godzilla has to an ultimate nemesis.

Also, I'll C&P the Monarch Sciences site lore here, since it'll be directly relevant to their portrayal in the film. For perspective, Godzilla stands 355 ft. tall, and 550 ft. long from head to tail.

Monarch Designation: Rodan
Classification: Titanus Rodan
Nature: Bio-Volcanic
Body Height: 154ft
Wingspan: 871ft
Behavior: Destroyer
Range: Worldwide

Within a Monarch containment facility atop the active Isla de Mona volcano, a mysterious Titan lies in pyrostasis within the restless magma. The legends speak of it as the “Fire Demon” or “The One Born of Fire”, but a simpler name echoes through the ancient temples of volcanically active regions: “Rodan”.

A volcanic internal combustion system of magma flows throughout a body covered in rock-like scales that act as geothermal armor. While much larger in size, Rodan has a skeletal structure similar to that of a Pteranodon - one of the earliest vertebrates known to have developed the power of flight. Just as Kong is king of the primates, Rodan may have once been king of the skies.

Because of the extreme temperatures within this particular containment facility, current lab equipment can’t function properly. As a result, thermal heat signatures on the creature are impossible to collect, and Monarch detection crews conducted cardiograms via aerial satellite for life sign detection and verification. Much like the volcano that incubates it, Rodan is alive but dormant.

Rodan’s wings are wrapped around its body in stasis, but our cryptos estimate a wingspan big enough to create a sonic thunderclap capable of leveling entire cities as it flies overhead. RF-Capture scans reveal that Rodan’s skin is not made of rock, but does have an outer dermis of sharp volcanic sediment collected from centuries of dormancy. Sci-ops theorizes the vulcanized appearance of its skin may be an evolutionary trait developed as a form of camouflage against mountain or large rock formations. Truly, a Titan forged in fire.

Rodan's generally an ally of Godzilla's in the films. His name came from Pteranadon – "Radon" but given that that's also the name of an element in English, they just did a vowel swap and made its name is "Rodan" in English. It's big on supersonic flight leveling buildings and other things, so all the basics here seem to be totally in place.

Interestingly, this big ALSO mentions Rodan as being king of the skies and compares it to Kong being King of the primates, which makes for an interesting set-up given that Godzilla Vs. King Kong is the film coming after this one.

Monarch Designation: Mothra
Classification: Titanus Mosura
Nature: Unknown
Body Height: 52ft
Wingspan: 803ft
Range: UNKNOWN

From erased Nazca lines to the hidden Temple of the Moth, the name “Mothra” is woven throughout the most secret mythologies of our planet. The folklore and fairy tales tell of a winged creature of blinding light, an angel of the clouds whose god-like luminescence has the power to shatter the sky.

Ancient spirit tablets discovered in the mountain jungles of the Yunnan Province portray a giant winged alpha of the Lepidoptera order. In all of our findings, human civilization is pictographically shown in poses that imply deification of the so-called “Queen of the Monsters”, suggesting the creature was once a benign part of the natural order.

When Monarch containment crews discovered the live Titan chrysalis within the Chinese myth site, Dr. Emma Russell was quickly dispatched to closely monitor the creature that lay dormant within it. A quickening sonar pulse suggests the creature is awakening. If she ever emerges from her ancient slumber, a superspecies that once illuminated the sky will be reborn as Mothra.

Pupal DNA samples suggest a remarkable, multi-stage evolution. On reaching adulthood, Mothra’s gigantic thorax is capable of emitting beta-wave bioluminescence which can be projected through the intricate patterns on its wings and weaponized into blinding ‘god rays’.

As one of the deadliest and most beautiful natural phenomena in Earth’s history, no wonder this devastating guardian angel was worshipped as a goddess by the ancient human civilizations blessed to witness her.

Mothra is usually closely connected to an ancient civilization, and she's always a benevolent protector of Earth and friendly to humans – which seems to be the case here since she's reaching her head down towards Millie's character. This means that she's often on Godzilla's side against bigger threats, but also fights against him from time to time when HE'S the bigger threat.

Another thing that's VERY likely is that Mothra will die fighting as a way to present stakes and demonstrate Ghidorah's power. Then her egg hatches with two larval-staged young to join the fight later, and use super-powerful cocooning silk to restrain their opponents.

Monarch Designation: Monster Zero
Classification: UNKNOWN
Nature: Bio-Electrical
Body Height: 521ft
Wingspan: UNKNOWN
Range: UNKNOWN

From the Hydra to the Rainbow Serpent, myth was the compass that led us to the resting place of the three-headed Titan. A name, unspoken through millennia of whispered nightmares. A living extinction event, named “the one who is many”. We call it Monster Zero.

At a Monarch containment facility deep in the frozen tundra of Antarctica, a three-headed winged serpent of ancient yet unknown origin lies frozen within a glacial tomb of ice. This is without question the largest superspecies ever discovered, easily dwarfing Godzilla at a height of over five-hundred feet tall.

Cranial scans reveal a divergent frontal lobe density in the brains of the three heads, denoting each head has disparate levels of cognitive functions, and possibly even independent thought.

Monster Zero’s dermal layer is gilded with trace amounts of aurum (See Ark Record # 73.126). Metallurgical studies theorize the scales act as a conductor capable of carrying bioelectrical currents through the creature’s body. Injuries have been discovered on several locations on the beast’s body, reminiscent of claw and scorch marks. Exo-Forensics are currently investigating.

Muscle tendons on the wings are so hyper-tensile that their massive aerodynamics could generate hurricane-force winds when in flight. Coupled with its body’s electro-receptor molecular biology capable of conducting electrical currents, water vapor in the air would be heated at extreme levels creating its own localized storm system as it travels. Simply put, if Monster Zero were to fly again, the stratosphere would be torn open by an otherworldly tempest of thunder and lightning our sky has never seen. Cryptolinguistics has analyzed translations of every worldwide case study of Monster Zero in the Monarch database across tens of thousands of years. The ancients called it Ghidorah.

There're a TON of fun references in this one. Ghidorah was designed after the Hydra & Orochi (Rainbow Serpent) and "Monster Zero" is its designation in the unsurprisingly named, Godzilla Vs. Monster Zero (aka Invasion of the Astro-Monster).

The injuries on its body likely will be shown to be the fact that it's conflicted with Godzilla and possibly Rodan in the past. I'd also be curious to see if they hint at its origin as being extra-terrestrial or not in this film. I do think that the bit that says, "Simply put, if Monster Zero were to fly again, the stratosphere would be torn open by an otherworldly tempest of thunder and lightning our sky has never seen" is something that we see in the trailer where everything is completely wrecked and apocalyptic-looking.

Either way, hopefully that's a decent overview of some things in general & in the context of this film. :awesomonster:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Speaking of that old film, someone re-cut the new trailer with a bunch of audio and formatting of the 1964 film, and it's absolutely fucking brilliant.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
^It's amazing how much the 60's era sound effects make the CGI look and feel more "fake" then CGI usually looks.

While I'm not that much into monster movies... man do the editors know how frame things beautifully in the trailer. If that framing is consistent throughout the movie, it'll at least look pretty to watch if nothing else. And kudos to whoever decided "who needs to use the average modern music filler when we can time everything to Claire de Lune" for the trailer.

Oh damn, ok. I didn't realize that Michael Dougherty was directing this. I really loved Trick R' Treat and Krampus.

Excitement level go up.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Yup, we got Mothra today:

It's a little bit more of a "call" and less of an "chirp" than the original Mothra, but I kind of like it.

For comparison here're Rodan & Mothra's original vocalizations & effects:

It's looking like we'll get Ghidorah tomorrow for sure at this point, which is BIG, because he's always had some really particular effects, and I'm especially hoping that we get the really haunting "trill" sound from him that's always been used for his flight, and is embedded in my mind as a sort of ominous approaching sound aside from his more angry/pained roar:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X

EDIT: YouTube version

HELL. YES.
I love that the final shot is Godzilla moving in tandem with a bunch of fighter jets to attack Ghidorah.
I'm also wondering who the spiky legs coming up from the ground belong to. They could be Mothra in her larval stage, unless we're getting introduced to some other kaiju in this film, which seems possible, but unlikely.

X:neo:

Last edited:
Top Bottom