• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

LicoriceAllsorts's Fanfiction

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
You know, I would have never found DIPOTP if Cherry hadn't listed it in her favorites. Although I liked Before Crisis, when it comes to pleasure reading I'm more into romance. I found Cherry while looking for Reno/Rufus fics and read her non pairing Somewhere in Midgar Two Children because it featured those characters. (I can appreciate serious gen fic, especially if it leads to romance later). I liked Rufus, so any thing from Rufus's POV I was apt to read.

So I think it's unlikely that I would have read DIPOTP, as good as the summary is, because it wasn't my exact interests. However, because an author I liked liked it, and Lic regularly reviewed SIMTC, it seemed to say someone I likes like it, and the author has similar tastes as me, so I might like it. Then I read it was and was begging everyone I know to read it.

Without some sort of promotion readers who will love your work may never find it. I find most of my favorite works via fic rec one way or another. What makes Tumblr so great is all promotion happens when people reblog your link. So other people promote and stuff spreads through word of mouth.

It's the same with fan works as it is with fandoms. I wouldn't have tried SNK if everyone on tumblr hadn't been raving about it (along with everyone I know IRL). Then I started raving about it and telling my friends "no, no, you really should watch this" with reviews and explanations as to why it's so good.

Sometimes word of mouth is the only way to realize you should try something outside of your normal tastes. Humans are social, we trust each other. With fanfic, you're the first fan, the first person who knows about the story, and telling other people isn't self promotion so much as helping people find things they might enjoy. And as stated, most of the promotion on your tumblr blog will be by fans.

Mention the fan blog in an AN at the end of the next chapter of DIPOTP you post, and see how many people come and reblog, spreading the fic they enjoy to others (and enjoying the fanworks others have made for you, like mine - see I'm not afraid of self promotion JK LOL).

Fangu quoted pendency:
The stereotype of the artiste who induces depression to provoke creativity (self-ostracises, insults people, eats bad food, isolates themselves, smokes, loses their partner due to bad behaviour and/or putting work ahead of everything else, substance abuse,) is really out of date in a day and age where consistently published writers are those who know how to use their social networks to form connections which will actually make them money.

This is true (and I do know something about the publishing business). In fact, Fangu, the excellent advice which you set out in your post is exactly the same advice I give to my students: "It's not really about confidence, it's about realizing that without self promotion and believing in your skill - why should anybody else? It's a technique to success, not a selfish want." In terms of your approach to your own work, you are right and I am wrong and I know I am wrong (self-sabotaging, even, to use a pop-psych term). But it's really hard to change the diffident habits of a lifetime. I don't think it has anything to do with being a woman, not in my case, anyway. I think it's just my nature. Which is why I need to be pushed. Left to my own devices, I'm pretty indolent.

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
Well, consider yourself pushed, I look forward to seeing your Death is Part of the Process blog. Let me know when it's up.

Fangu

Great Old One
Wait. This part here wasn't sarcasm?
See, Fangu, the only reason why I'm not a global celebrity is that I'm very shy and retiring and recoil from anything that seems like self-promotion.

This is true (and I do know something about the publishing business).
Well I definitely have no problems believing you have been in contact with publishers, and even is a published author. But global celebrity... no I can not make sense of any of this. I'm confused as hell.

In fact, Fangu, the excellent advice which you set out in your post is exactly the same advice I give to my students: "It's not really about confidence, it's about realizing that without self promotion and believing in your skill - why should anybody else? It's a technique to success, not a selfish want." In terms of your approach to your own work, you are right and I am wrong and I know I am wrong (self-sabotaging, even, to use a pop-psych term).
I think this is where I got confused. When I first read that first part in that previous post as sarcasm, I thought you were kinda saying that giving feedback in a thread dedicated to you would be silly and egocentric, and that I was rude to suggest you would never avoid any kind of feedback deliberately. Anyway nevermind all of that, I see how it fits now. (I think.)

I think we can safely conclude that you're all talking over my head and somehow, this is a conversation I'll only be saying stuff that isn't relevant to the conversation at all or I am just being plain annoying. So bai :wacky:

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
I'm pretty sure first part was sarcasm, but not annoyed sarcasm, just friendly playful sarcasm to illustrate how shy she is when talking about herself - even if she could be rich and famous she wouldn't want it if it meant self aggrandizing because she's extremely modest. I think she was saying a contributing to a feedback thread was too close to talking about herself (being in her own fan club) and she wouldn't want to seem arrogant (though we all know she isn't). I don't think she was angry at you for suggesting it.

I also think she's saying she knows about the publishing industry because she worked in on the publishing side. Which allowed her to see what authors went through and decide she could never be a celebrity because it involved a lot of putting yourself out there.

You don't have to leave Fangu. You contributions were all valuable and appreciated. Thank you for making this thread active again.

*hugs*

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
I just recently read "Father and Son" which I understand was also co-written by CameoAmalthea. Posted a review, it was an outstanding read, and such a good concept!

Soakette

Donator
AKA
Jess
Meeeeee!!!! I was so surprised to get an update in my email today! I was over the moon happy! I loved the latest chapter! I can't believe I remember what happened before. While I was reading it was all coming back to me. Update more!!!!!!

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
At some point, when the fic's done, I think I'm going to reread it start to finish, because I'ms sure there's a lot I've missed. I wish we could do a project to do an audio book (I like audio books).

I need to go back in and edit it now.
It's a good thing I'm not trying to make my living from this!!

Soakette, what do you think should happen next in Fifty Flavours of Turkish Delight? I had to abandon it because DIPOTP was absorbing all my powers of invention, but now I feel like I'd really love to write some more sugary silliness. I should probably go see the film so I can spoof that. I never actually read FSOG, just couldn't bring myself to, but I did partially read a sporking of it.

Soakette

Donator
AKA
Jess
Soakette, what do you think should happen next in Fifty Flavours of Turkish Delight? I had to abandon it because DIPOTP was absorbing all my powers of invention, but now I feel like I'd really love to write some more sugary silliness. I should probably go see the film so I can spoof that. I never actually read FSOG, just couldn't bring myself to, but I did partially read a sporking of it.

Oohhh I dont know. I have to go back and re-read it to see. If there hasnt been any sex scenes then YES THAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN!

I have all 3 books and have read them a couple times. If you want I can tell you what happens and you can use that info as you will. You are the creative genius here not me! I would like some sort of conflict maybe. In the book Christian is very jealous and controlling, I was thinking last night what if Rufus Shinra made a move on her? What would Rude do???

Let me know if you want any info from the book!

Soakette

Donator
AKA
Jess
I thought eventually you were going to incorporate the candy into the sex. I guess thats just how dirty I am. Lol

It would be funny if Rufus and her (I forgot what you named her) was eating candy together and Rude catches them maybe?

Airling

Ninja-Fairy-Jedi-Princess
I have a strange question. From what I gather, Veld doesn't have a canonically declared first name. Why did you decide to call him Piet? I love it.

I was very close to tears
the whole time Veld and Tseng were talking before Veld left, but then smiled at "Peter Fielding".

Because in my head canon, Veld is South African!

I don't know if I ever told you this, but I lived in Zimbabwe for 5 years and got to know a lot of South Africans. My ex used to have to go to SA and Swaziland for work, and he'd talk about "Piet Retief", and for months I thought Piet Retief was some South African dude he knew. So for me it's the quintessential Afrikaans name.

Anyway, in my fic all Veld's pseudonyms are different-language versions of Pieter Veld.

Thanks for asking!

The G'randiest' Daddy

Teh Bunneh of Doom
AKA
Darth
Sooo, following up on that answer, new question. You called someone a kak. I genuinely can't remember who right now, I'm kinda binge reading your book and it's all bluring a bit with the speed. IT'S SOOO GOOOD!!! But anyway, so I don't know if you know (or if you did it on purpose) but kak is literally the afrikaans word for shit. Although it is in pretty common use all over SA, 'cause the languages kinda bleed over a bit, especially with such a nice, expletive-y expletive. Was it on purpose? Is it a word used there? I know sometimes the word cacky is used in English, but the spelling is different.

What up?

Yes, I used it deliberately. I can't often let him speak South African slang because so few people would understand it, but I think "kak" is so onomatopoeic it speaks for itself! When I hear Veld talking in my head he always speaks with a strong Afrikaaner accent (clipped, deceptively soft and rather intimidating!!).

The G'randiest' Daddy

Teh Bunneh of Doom
AKA
Darth
I'd also like to say - the way you write him, specifically the way he punishes (and also in general treats) the Turks, seems very much like an Afrikaaner dad. Punishment without anger, but without ... mercy? No that's not the right word. But basically the whole idea that a lesson needs to be learned, not just in the mind, but right down to the nerve endings.

I had a friend who lived on a farm/plot thing. There was a river going through it, where they used to swim. There was also a tree next to it, with a rope swing thing, which they were forbidden from using because the river was full of junk they could fall on and hurt themselves with. So of course, one day my friend goes swinging, falls in, and lands on a piece of thick wire, piercing his abdomen (just a flesh wound, happily). He runs to his dad to tell him, interrupting the meeting his dad was in. So his dad takes him aside, asks him what happened. When he found out, he said "I told you not to do it. You did it anyway. So now I have leave my meeting to take you to hospital, for simple disobedience.". So he first took him to the shed, gave him a hiding (without anger, it was just crime = punishment), then took him to get stitches.

So, super kudos! I like it! Seriously, how do you do it? How many Afrikaaners do you know?!?

:monster:

Last edited:
When I lived in Zim I knew a lot of them; a lot of Rhodies too. I liked them; they were tough but frank, and didn't suffer from the naivety that is endemic in Canada. Now I live in Canada so I only know a couple of South Africans, but because my accent is so all over the place, people often ask me if I'm from South Africa! (when actually I was born right here in ontario).

Celes777

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Licorice, your William Shakespeare version of AC made my day.
Lots of love and respect to you:kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss:

Thanks! I wish I could finish it, but I don't teach Shakespeare any more so the lines don't come to me the way they did when it was Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth all day every day.

Top Bottom