Life Is Strange

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
No thread for this, I see. How odd. That's corrected now. :monster:

This may be my new favourite game of the year so far. The first episode was a great introduction, despite the fact the writing feels like it's coming from a 30-year-old who has no idea how teens talk these days. Just played through the second episode now and it's taken me nearly four hours to finish.

Why, you ask? Choices.

I was mainly doing it to go through the different kind of dialogue outcomes, but then
I wanted to save Kate. The first time, I managed to reload the last checkpoint before she jumped. Then I figured out what dialogue options I should use (never use the option on the right, quote Matthew instead) and obviously felt like a bitch because I never answered her call, yet I wanted to prevent Chloe from having an argument with her mother.

It's all such bloody drama, but I love it. The choices feel like they matter more with the power to reverse time. And Chloe
making all those superhero references was awesome. :awesome:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
The third episode, although quite predictable, had the twist at the end.

So it looks like Max changed the past with Chloe's dad alive and Chloe, well, paralysed in a wheelchair. From the way Chloe was all episode, I could easily see it headed in that direction. It's the consequences afterwards that have me going, "WHAT!?"

I find mid-season episodes in games to be somewhat boring, but this one was full of fun and revelations.

Splintered

unsavory tart
Okay am I suppose to hate Chloe this much, because half the time in this game I'm like "Godamnit Chloe."

That said, the twist at the end of episode 3 actually caught me off guard, I'm interested in seeing what happens in the next episode
where inevitably we will have to return to the past and let her dad die

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Okay am I suppose to hate Chloe this much, because half the time in this game I'm like "Godamnit Chloe."

That said, the twist at the end of episode 3 actually caught me off guard, I'm interested in seeing what happens in the next episode
where inevitably we will have to return to the past and let her dad die
I was like that, too. But then when we
headed to the past to save her dad, I just couldn't. And then when we saw her in the wheelchair, I felt entirely bad for disliking her.

It's plain as day that we'll have to let her dad die again. Besides that, I'm really interested to see how this new world is affected.

Also, it was funny to see Chloe's stepdad as the bus driver. :monster:

Splintered

unsavory tart
I can't bring myself to like her, but the whole
sitation in an alternative past did make me extremely sympathetic to her. Like, I fully understand why she is that way, but next time she picks up a gun or is patronizingly dismissive of Max's concerns Imma going to punch her in the face.

That said I have a feeling I'm going to feel really bad about it next episode because for some reason, Chloe seems... happier despite whatever happened.

Before I had a fan theory that Chloe's selfishness and attempt to monopolize Max would lead to some sort of downfall, probably of Max, but now it seems to be going of a desperate scramble to save her.

I also think Warren and Mr Jefferson are far to spotless to not be somehow involved with Rachel's disappearance. I'm not sure if I believe he was in a relationship with Rachel but something probably happened.

It seems pretty obvious that Max was sent through time from the time with the tornado, probably via the same powers like she did through the photograph, but I'm not sure if this is her first time traveling back, or if she's in some sort of closed time loop.

Last edited:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Whatever way you look at it,
the tornado is definitely involved. I love the way it's been set up so far and it's exceeded my expectations so far. It's one of those rare games in which I'm like, "How did they do that?" during or at the end of an episode. Maybe the tornado has something to do with Rachel disappearing. I wonder where she is in the new timeline.

There's also this theory. I've had a theory of my own that Rachel was put in the same position as Max (although not sure who went missing or what) and something's happened with her going too far. Of course, this is only wild speculation at that point. But the link is a really interesting read. And it must have something to do with the Vortex Club, whatever IT is.

And in that link at the very last page, there's a theory the old lady could be Rachel. Like holy shitballs, that could be a big bombshell if it happened.

As for Chloe, I've liked her since we met her. It's not the bad ass attitude she has, it's more or less the fact that she reflects that we're all human at the end of the day and make mistakes (we can tell she's made many following William's death if it weren't obvious enough).

There's so many possibilities with this game! :monster:

This is slowly turning into my game of the year, we'll just have to see what the other episodes have in store for us.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Going through this game vicariously through an LP because I don't think I'd have the patience to go through all the effort myself

Episode 2 felt like a misstep in terms of pacing and subject matter. The arc tackling suicide was pretty incredible, but spending an inordinate amount of time with Chloe affirming that yes, Max has time powers, was a bit wasteful.
From a gameplay design standpoint I get that it was an exercise in opening the player's mind as to the manipulation of space as well as time, but It was just poorly paced and irrelevant to the overarching plot.

Episode 3 had great swerves, though. A bit predictable given the significance of ZOMG YEARS OF TIME TRAVEL compared to the relative baby steps taken before that, but great cliffhanger to work off.

I like angsty!punkrock!Chloe a little more, though, sue me :monster:

ed: Also, the dialogue can be really fuckin' stupid. I don't know anyone who unironically uses the words "hella", "beeyatch" or whatever anymore, unless the game was set in the early 2000s :monster: It's not particularly endearing especially when the subject matter of the game in the first place is about hipsters and their dumb bullshit :awesome:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
I'm in that wtf mood again after another episode.

CHLOE BETTER NOT BE DEAD.

FUCKING JEFFERSON.

William's dead... again. :(

I just KNEW Nathan was a red herring. I was beginning to think this the more that we learned about him.

So Rachel's dead. No surprise, but the grief Chloe expressed made it even more heartbreaking. :/

October is far too long to wait for the finale. :/

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I noticed that they put a new Episode out on Steam. Sounds like a hoot! :monster:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
It honestly got a lot better (not that it wasn't already) with this one. There's still more questions than answers, but it made you realise that every choice and dialogue option you make is so critical. It doesn't stop what happens at the end, but it's all going to come back to you in the last episode as it should do.

I'm also going to see if I can get my stream up on YouTube in parts, so you can see what kind of game I've made. :monster:

Atticus

Kissed by Fire
I played the first three and I really liked the atmosphere of the town and gameplay. I think I'm going to wait till the 5th part comes out in October and played the last two together. They're kind of short...

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
^ The fourth episode is the longest yet. I suppose it depends on your play style and such, but it took me 3 hours and 50 minutes to get through it. The whole thing is a huge mindfuck overall and it's definitely in my top five games of this year, probably claiming the top spot (not that there's been many games capturing my attention, mind).

Atticus

Kissed by Fire
This game really reminds me of butterfly effect which is one of my favorite movies. So naturally I like the storyline so far. I'm glad there are some good twists to look forward to

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
It did seem quite unexpected and an ass pull as you say, but at that point, all I could think was, "YOU SHOT AND KILLED CHLOE, YOU FREAKING CUNT!" At the same time, I have a feeling we'll be able to rewind with the picture Warren took before entering the party.

There are a lot of theories going around about the teacher on the official game forums and they make for a good read. There was even speculation that Rachel herself could rewind and alter time just llike Max herself (a ridiculous, but intriguing theory even pegged Rachel as Max), but now that's less likely since she's practically dead.

I honestly can't wait to see how the final episode is going to explain everything.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Was there even any foreshadowing for the twist at the very end of the last chapter? (re: Seemingly morally good photography teacher is actually evil teacher). Regarding the game in general, it is interesting, but the pacing was a bit off in the recent chapter.
Well, he's dismissive towards Kate right before she suicides, we see him get pressured over the phone by someone. You have the option of blaming Jefferson instead of David or Nathan At the end of episode 2. And Nathan refers to the place Rachel is being kept as the dark room, to keep with the photography motif.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
I'm getting a little anxious now with the release of the final episode. Will be absolutely DYING if it's released on the Wednesday I go to EGX. PLEASE let it be the Wednesday after. Even though people will get the episode on the Tuesday, the PS Store doesn't release new stuff and updates until the Wednesday over here.

Plus, I just really want to see how it all ends. It's genuinely been the biggest surprise game of the year for me.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
I find it funny that before I wrote this post, this thread was straight above the Mad Max one.

Umatbru

TLS's Resident Troll
Is it just me or does this remind me of Passions? Both are dramas with supernatural elements set in a small town. They also drew influences from Twin Peaks.

Last edited:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
So apparently, the final episode is slated to be released on 20th October. Right before Halloween too, ooher. :wacky:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Played the demo for this. Goddamn cliffhanger :monster: Not sure whether to watch an LP or just play it myself. Usually not the type of game I play but might as well try something new.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
If you don't want to end up buying it, let me know. I'd be happy to LP it for your viewing pleasure. :)

I just finished watching a full playthrough of this (not the final eps obviously), and it's a pretty good story. The time aspects freshened up the gameplay a good bit too, which is nice.
I'd have bought it myself, but the dialogue just irritates me to no end. I can only get through it with other people talking over/aroudn it so I have something else to focus on.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
ASDFGHJKL

THE SEASON FINALE IS HERE AND I CAN'T PLAY IT FOR ANOTHER 13 HOURS.

a78f084cc636e5e20ea77617fee76f10.jpg

Top Bottom