Localization Changes - Just Beacause

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I know that there're a lot of feelings one way or the other about translations and Final Fantasy VII-isms, and things that need changing and others that don't. I kinda wanted one place to put all the things that folks would and wouldn't like to see altered in localization for a remake.

I'm fond of keeping the "Midgar Zolom" as is, because it makes it very FFVII-centric (and it's iconic to the game for me).

Mmidgardzolom4is.png

I don't feel the need to Final Fantasy VII-ize other creatures in an attempt to match this - but if they do, I think that the most important one to go about altering is the name of the "Nerosuferoth" into "NeroSephiroth" to canonize the offspring everyone's favourite pairing.

Nerosuferoth_FF7.png
:bigawesomonster:

- But seriously: What things matter to you if they go or if they stay?

X :neo:

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I'd like to see most of the mistranslations fixed. So Knowlespole -> Norzpole, Safer Sephiroth -> Seraph Sephiroth (or Sepher Sephiroth; I've heard either as the correct translation), Midgar Zolom -> something closer to whatever the developers had in mind (a slight corruption of Midgardsormr is fine, just not as badly mangled as Zolom). Idk. If I thought about it longer I could probably think of dozens more examples, but :monster:

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
When it comes to America, Tifa's bust size will go from a D to a DD.

Also I hope the HD world still has all those little cool nooks and crannies to explore that don't necessarily go anywhere. It was fun to just comb around the world (though the best example of that was in FF8. Wandering around Centra was so eerie.

Edit: As far as specifically localizations - Maybe we get an answer to the Aeris / Aerith debate.

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
I'd like to see most of the mistranslations fixed. So Knowlespole -> Norzpole, Safer Sephiroth -> Seraph Sephiroth (or Sepher Sephiroth; I've heard either as the correct translation), Midgar Zolom -> something closer to whatever the developers had in mind (a slight corruption of Midgardsormr is fine, just not as badly mangled as Zolom). Idk. If I thought about it longer I could probably think of dozens more examples, but :monster:

This. Right now the only other example I can think of is Typhoon->Typhon (he's named after the Greek monster, not the storm).

I'm 99% certain they will go with Aerith. They've literally only ever called her Aeris in the original game, ports of it, and the original FFT(WoTL corrects it to Aerith). Everything else has had her name as Aerith. I definitely prefer Aerith, it rolls off the tongue better IMO.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
Knowlespole -> Norzpole

I never picked up on that. I always thought it meant "People of Knowledge" from... this pole. :wacky:

What's the deal with the Midgar Zolom though? I keep hearing this and that but never a definitive "This is what it was in Japan.. this is how it was botched in English."

Starling

Pro Adventurer
If Knowelspole changes, I'd rather it be to North Pole than Norzpole. I also have my doubts that Midgar Zolom would change to something I'd be happier with if they go with sopmething other than Midgarsormr. I'm fine with Bagrisk and Cokatolis staying the same if they don't switch them to Basilisk and Cockatrice.

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
I never picked up on that. I always thought it meant "People of Knowledge" from... this pole. :wacky:

What's the deal with the Midgar Zolom though? I keep hearing this and that but never a definitive "This is what it was in Japan.. this is how it was botched in English."

Midgar Zolom is a mistranslation of Midgardsormr(which means Midgard serpent), which is a sea serpent from Norse mythology that is also known as Jormungandr(which means huge monster) or Jormungand.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
I hope they keep in the Emerald Weapon and Ruby Weapon

Starling

Pro Adventurer
I think he meant the Weapons themselves, as they weren't in the original Japanese release. The thing is, it's not that unusual for some content to get added in the american of localisations of games. For example, I recall some scenes form Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep were added in the localization, meaning Japan didn't get them until the final mix version.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Well, they're in the international version that came with 4th disc, so they're gonna be there. The weapons also came with the superior Supernova attack.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I hope they keep them as is.. or the difficulty they came with, rather. Optional Bosses came rather tiresome when they weren't necessarily hard or required any strategy, they just had a bajillion HP you had to whittle down.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Well, they kept spoony bard and other iconic things right? They're probably have to acknowledge it isn't grammatically correct though, whether Aerith corrects herself or Cloud gets confused about it.

55-

Probably Evan Townshend
They fixed it in the PC port when it got its Steam release. Says "This guy is sick."
They actually went out of their way to fix it. It's one of the only changes made from the original PC version.

Somehow I get the feeling that unless there happen to be some really determined nerds in the right positions of power, we're not going to get it. I'm guessing it's a thing that the powers that be overseas don't know how iconic/important it was to us.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Somehow I get the feeling that unless there happen to be some really determined nerds in the right positions of power, we're not going to get it. I'm guessing it's a thing that the powers that be overseas don't know how iconic/important it was to us.

Well, there was a friggin' YTMND reference in Crisis Core, so I do think that there are some determined nerds in the right positions of power in this case.

snap000.jpg

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Seems like a silly thing to keep. But I never played the English version so it's not exactly like it's iconic to me. :p

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Funny thing I just noticed thanks to a 9gag post my wife shared sharing japanese swear words:

kusogaki - unpleasant brat.

Yuffie's last name? Kisaragi.

Coincidence?????? Probably.

Lex

Administrator
They fixed it in the PC port when it got its Steam release. Says "This guy is sick."
They actually went out of their way to fix it. It's one of the only changes made from the original PC version.

The original PC version had fixed grammar (though "beacause" and "off course" remained). "This guy are sick" was only ever present in the Playstation release.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
DEY TUK ER JEEEERRBS!

DERKA DERRRR!!!!

IF YOU DON'T LIKE 'MURICA... YOU KIN GEEEEETT OUUUUT.

I don't know why but I get the feeling that even though there are plenty of other isolationist and xenophobic countries in the world there are no more obnoxious anti-immigration people than we have here in America...

Top Bottom