Locations IRL that evoke FFVII

Kassi

Pro Adventurer
AKA
tardis60, dephinia
Been a long time since I've posted, IRL stuff...

Today I saw a picture of New Zealand's Crater Lake at Ruepahu:

p878115757-3.jpg

...looked like the Lifestream bubbling up, and I wondered if anyone else has seen any photos of IRL places that evoke FFVII places. I'd be most interested and grateful to see.

<3
Kassi

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion (all the parks in Four Corners) = Cosmo Canyon

Yosemite when it's foggy reminds me of Ancient Forest

Olympic National Rainforest in Washington makes me think of Gongaga

This is not a location, but I must share. Found a pic of so-called "African Prehnite".

xmM1Wax.jpg

In my headcanon, this is what materia made in nature looks like. More impurities and cracks, compared to the Shinra-manufactured materia that look very pure due to being artifically made.

EDIT: Everybody knows of these two videos with photos that evoke an FFVII feeling, but I'll link them anyway.
- Part 1
- Part 2

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Cosmo Canyon is modelled after a Pueblo village, but the cave houses of Anatolia also remind me of it

The picture below is the Stelco plant at my local city, Hamilton (Ontario). This picture doesn't really do justice to just how much Hamilton (an industrial town) looks like Midgar, especially when seen from above (the top of the Niagara Escarpment) at dusk on a winter's evening, with the ominous sky and all the lights and the factory chimneys belching smoke. You can't see the water by night, it just looks black and empty, like wasteland.

PS - Kassi, I hope you stick around a while. Missed you.

Last edited:

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
Xhosa huts from South Africa reminds me of Gongaga

Xhosa-huts1.jpg

And the Badjao's communities resembles Mideel

Corbis-AS001263.jpg

Last edited:

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
Each time I see any documentary about Asia and there are images of the city life and the markets I get the feeling I'm seeing the Wall Market.

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
As a kid, growing up in New York, being under the El
080411subwaybronx.jpg

1300226341a3a96j.jpg

80765893.jpg
and dodging pigeon shit reminded me of being under the plate. The areas would make an awesome cosplay backdrop, but alas it's generally not the safest idea (especially as a Tifa... or simply for the fact that you'd probably have to be standing right in the middle of the street to get a good shot :monster:).

Last edited:

Arth

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Arthquake
file:///C:/Dokumente%20und%20Einstellungen/User/Eigene%20Dateien/Eigene%20Bilder/Von%20NOKIA%20Lumia%20710/Filmrolle/WP_000912.jpg

Had to think about the Temple of the Ancients when I´ve seen this mayan temple in a museum in NY :D

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
Speaking of which, can anyone identify
8z2mme.jpg
? It definitely resembles the Temple of the Ancients, and by extension, the "End of the World" in Grandia, among other things. Must be fairly well known, though I'm not terribly familiar with historical architecture.

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
The picture below is the Stelco plant at my local city, Hamilton (Ontario). This picture doesn't really do justice to just how much Hamilton (an industrial town) looks like Midgar, especially when seen from above (the top of the Niagara Escarpment) at dusk on a winter's evening, with the ominous sky and all the lights and the factory chimneys belching smoke. You can't see the water by night, it just looks black and empty, like wasteland.

Now I want to do a photoshoot there.

Anyway:

I did a post on my
http://cameoamalthea.tumblr.com/post/53693908541/places-in-az-that-remind-me-of-ffvii
about places in my home state, Arizona, that remind me of FFVII.
(As part of an on going scheme to convince online friends to come visit me (it's lovely in the winter) Although, I'll probably only be here until I graduate next May *tears*.

I swear Sedona is Cosmo Canyon. The locals even believe it's a nexus of mystical cosmic energy (I believe it's a nexus of hippies).

The north also boasts Meteor Crater (yeah, really creative name)

attachment.php

And the Sonoran desert near where I live really works as Corel.

347204019_63d5aed0d7.jpg

I even did a
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34J4YA1BZ6A
using this area as a stand in for Corel.

Last edited:

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
Speaking of which, can anyone identify
8z2mme.jpg
? It definitely resembles the Temple of the Ancients, and by extension, the "End of the World" in Grandia, among other things. Must be fairly well known, though I'm not terribly familiar with historical architecture.

Maybe not that well known. I recognized it from the movie "The Fall" and yes,it resembles the City of the Ancients a bit :). Threw a search and it's from Chand Baori in Abhaneri, Rajasthan, India. Here are all the locations for that movie, if anyone is interested. By the way, I also recomend the movie itself, because it has Lee Pace and lotsa amazing landscapes.

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
That does make a great Corel backdrop, Cameo, especially in regard to its historical mining background.
And the Sedona "mystical vortex" urban legend (and the fact of how seriously it gets taken) gets old pretty fast when you live by the area, by the way. :monster:

As I mentioned in a similar thread from a couple months ago, I think the Corel/Gold Saucer concept was largely inspired by Vegas/Nevada. Just like the Gold Saucer, the Vegas that people seek to visit consists of just one condensed street, surrounded by destitution, ghetto, and desert.

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
Best thing ever, my friend and I were driving and we see this huge bill board "Sedona Psychics Convention" and my friend is like: Who knew psychics would need such a huge bill board to know about it.

And I can imagine it gets old fast, although I bet it's a nice place to buy crystals and things like this http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j...al-Gemstone-Quartz-Crystal-Spheres-Geodes.jpg. I don't buy into the new age rocks contain special energy thing, but they are pretty.

And yeah Vegas is definitely Gold Saucer. We should so have a FFVII con in Vegas and call it Gold Saucer Con (Las Vegas is like the easiest/cheapest airport to fly into).

Helkaweth

Rookie Adventurer
Belize City in Belize made me think of Costa Del Sol, because of the feel of the entire place, and look. I've only been there once, but whoa.

Bugenhagen's Observatory, if it had been built on a different spot...with different material. :P Ok so it looks very different, but the feeling is still invoked in me.

5DMvTNQ.jpg

Apparently this is the "Observatoire de Cointe" in Belgium.

Top Bottom