Looking for Japanese Ultimania Scans

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
I think it was the 10th anniversary one, not entirely sure, but seen various scans from an English Ultimania that are more much direct about confirming Cloud and Tifa love each other. I'm eternally dubious of translations in this series, so I was wondering if anyone knows the Japanese Ultimania these pages are from and if they have scans of them they could pass along, please? I'd be quite interesting in noting these things on the FFWiki.

These are some of the scans in question.

EgNt9NRWoAIt7kQ

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
is this perhaps one of the series anniversary books? (20th or 25th?) the layout doesn't look quite like what i remember from the 10th anniversary ffvii book

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
元ソルジャー・クラウドの崩壊
5年前、自分はニブルヘイムにいなかった――セフィロスが再現した風景と、それを肯定するかのようなティファの態度を見て、クラウドの心はついに壊れ、破滅への引き金を引いてしまう。
Collapse of Ex-SOLDIER Cloud
5 years ago, he wasn't in Nibeleim--seeing the scene Sephiroth recreated and Tifa's reaction that seems to affirm it, Cloud's mind finally breaks and leads to ruin.

明かされた本当の願い
幼いころのクラウドは、同年代の者たちから孤立し、自分は特別だと思いこもうとする、ひねくれた子どもだった。そんな彼にとって大切だったのがティファ――淡く幼い恋心が、精神世界にて明かされる。
True wish revealed
When he was a child, Cloud was a difficult child who was isolated from his peers and tried to convince himself he was special. What was important to that Cloud was Tifa--that faint, childish love is revealed in the mental world.

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
Okay, so to be clear I'm understanding:

English version: While Tifa is in Cloud's subconscious, they realize they love each other.

Japanese version: While Tifa is in Cloud's subconscious, she realizes Cloud had a crush on her as a kid.

I'm asking for the details because even if it's not a 100% accurate translation, a direct confirmation that Cloud loves Tifa in the present is something that FFWiki should take note of. And given this is definitely gonna invite editing warring, I want to cover my bases.

On that note with the English probably coming from the Ultimania Archive, does someone have a scan of that handy?

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
the japanese one is definitely talking about the past (describing it as childish/immature) and while it doesn't specify with pronouns given that it follows on from the line about tifa being important to cloud then i'd say it should probably be read as cloud's little puppy love for tifa being revealed (not really mentioning how she feels in this specific instance)

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
@The Twilight Mexican That's okay. I know there's tons of material out there that talk about Cloud's feelings for Tifa and/or Aerith. We don't cover them on the Wiki precisely because it isn't definitive and conclusive evidence, and thus treating them as such would invite edit warring and arguments. And we're not going to worry about cataloging every instance of something talking about an implied romantic connection between one of them and Cloud. For my part, LTD aside that would be unnecessary in terms of coverage; it's fairly well-known that various materials have said Cloud has an implicit romantic interest in either woman, we don't need to cite every time this is hinted at, the same way we don't need to point out every time Sephiroth demonstrates his god complex when we can just say "he has a god complex". Also, doing this sort of thing would invite edit warring again over if something is valid or not or how important it is or if it's really implying romantic feelings and not just general friendship, etc.

As it stands now, Cloud's article says something to the effect of "various materials have implied Cloud harbors romantic feelings for both Tifa and Aerith, but it is left to the player's interpretation." But something directly stating "Cloud and Tifa love each other", that's quite different. That is ironclad, on paper for anyone to see with their own eyes. For the moment the staff are discussing things before making any changes to the article. But I feel that, even if its from English material that is not accurate to the original Japanese, an official source stating they love each other is something deserving of note.

odekopeko

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Peko
the japanese one is definitely talking about the past (describing it as childish/immature) and while it doesn't specify with pronouns given that it follows on from the line about tifa being important to cloud then i'd say it should probably be read as cloud's little puppy love for tifa being revealed (not really mentioning how she feels in this specific instance)
I just disagree with the assumption that the word used is meant to be defined as immature or childish in a negative connotation. It's often used in literature to describe an awakening love, premature and maybe not the profound love you'd experience as a mature adult, but it's in the sense that at such a tender age, one begins to experience these newfound feelings which are still hazy and unclear.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i definitely didn't mean to imply that it was a negative thing. i was trying to stick to a more literal or direct wording since i wasn't going for a finessed translation but 'childish/immature' do sound more generally negative in english compared with the japanese phrase. 'young/puppy love' might be better in hindsight

Eerie

Fire and Blood
As it stands now, Cloud's article says something to the effect of "various materials have implied Cloud harbors romantic feelings for both Tifa and Aerith, but it is left to the player's interpretation."

A friend of mine who's clerith has looked over all the internet for sources about Cloud's feelings regarding Aerith, but she has found nothing else than "precious friend". She's actually the one who convinced ME, a cloti, that Cloud never had romantic feelings for Aerith. So if you can point that out for us, thanks!

Eerie

Fire and Blood
(For the record, I'm not trying to start a war here, because it's not the right place. But that story is true.)

Reactions: Wol
Top Bottom