Lord of the Rings TV Show [Amazon]

A young whippersnapper of 3000 ish. Elrond's younger. We can't have a female lead with power who commands respect, can we? Got to give the generic plot of princess rebelling against society's constraints, even if we have to demote her from queen to do it... Goddamnit, show, please don't do what I think you're going to do, anything but that.

Edit: This has been a weird journey, I started out interested, and with every new piece of promo material I have lower expectations. It doesn't look outright bad, but it does look very generic.

Last edited:
Something of a battle of principles now... I don't want to support something I have such low expectations for... but I don't want to dislike something without watching it, and I don't like supporting Amazon, but I don't expect most reviews to be fair. What to do, what to do...

ultima786

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ultima
Something of a battle of principles now... I don't want to support something I have such low expectations for... but I don't want to dislike something without watching it, and I don't like supporting Amazon, but I don't expect most reviews to be fair. What to do, what to do...
Watch it. The first episode was excellent

AKA
Minato
I like what's they've done with the Harfoots and the Dwarves, the Men storyline has potential, but boy did they make some decisions with the High Elves. I really don't think they needed to throw out quite as much lore to turn Galadriel into an adventurer.

I lost the battle of wills to stay away from this. With all the one star review bombing and five star review bombing, it was difficult to find perspectives I could trust, and I didn't want my perspective to be corrupted by Endlessly Angry Youtube, want to get my thought down while they're relatively uninfluenced. Also, none of this is from a 'didn't follow the lore' perspective, because I went in with no expectation that they were following the book lore.
Composer is fantastic.

Visuals are great, but unfortunately, I don't care about visuals unless they make it difficult to understand what's happening.

Very disappointed with Galadriel's story, they did the thing I didn't want them to do, where they took away all her power in the name of empowering women. Very regressive, even though done with the best of intentions. I couldn't believe it when we had random Galadriel bullying in the first scene.

There's also that Fantasy Accents dilemma, where using British accents is very generic, but using any other kind of accent immediately leads to people drawing parallels with the world. So we have the Dwarves with Scottish accents with the drinky fighty culture, and Irish accented Harfoots with bucolic childlike creatures doing slapstick gags with no knowledge of the wider world. Obviously not intended, but that's basically a pick your poison situation.

Bronwyn also has a 'why won't anyone listen to me?' plot, which is honestly among the easiest most undemanding things to write on a mechanical level, I was hoping they'd do more than the most obvious plot available.

The worldbuilding is strange, it's as though no one acts except the PCs. Khazad Dum has no contact with the neighbouring kingdom of Eregion for some reason. If you want Elrond at your wedding, send him an invitation, it's not like he's unreachable.

Why would that be? Also the elves patrol the Southlands for decades but only Arondir has any friends, because Bronwyn is pretty. It's a world without a history where people don't interact until the script tells them to, no matter how close their neighbours are.

Many of the designs end up caught between the story they're trying to tell and the movies, where it sometimes hews close to the movie depictions which it can't legally follow, but doesn't create its own so gets stuck in ' similar to the movies, but legally distinct' territory. Most of the dramatic trailer shots are already in Eps 1 and 2, only exception being the Numenor stuff.

Elrond is a very good diplomat, and I was pleasantly surprised that they actually did start setting up things about the Rings of Power, I thought they wouldn't do that until Season 3.

I also apppreciate that they are okay with slowburning plots and they didn't try to write it like the Clone Wars, with cameos and winks and nods in every third sentence.

On a nitpicky level, Bronwyn wears the same dress when she's in her own apothecary chopping herbs as she does on a cross country mission to save a village, which they didn't notice any smoke from until they went up the hill even though it was on fire. Give her traveling clothes, costuming.

And did they CGI that cow? Mr Villager, if you can see your cow's ribcage, you're doing farming wrong.

It comes in below my expectations, but it's still on the level of ' below average to okay' rather than 'bad'. Seems very unambitious for such a giant project, they went with low hanging fruit in terms of creative choices.

Top Bottom