SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
It's the Western fans who are so hellbent on insisting their interpretation is right on the internet lol, and do things like spam streamers in their chat bar (Sorry to the primarily US audience on this site lol)
Well, we did manage to produce the kinds of people who spam official social media accounts with essays about how a developer should treat their own characters, so there’s certainly some entitlement that Western fans and really fans in general should answer for but won’t.

Some people have such a grudge against Tifa’s fanbase (and with good reason in some cases) and would hate to see such fans get emboldened by a Cloud and Tifa ending, but I doubt they’d complain if their own ship was validated. Either way, the devs are free to tell whatever story they want, it’s inevitable that somebody is going to be disappointed.

Ditto. This marriage and kids thing. It just screams that the writer / mangaka is hoping to get a contract extension :P
I'm hoping FF7R will end as per the OG, but I'm afraid for a cheesy end-game epilogue that doesn't lend much to the initial story. Also a little bit afraid for the weekly chapter release format of Ever Crisis, cos that would mean no concrete "end" to the FF7 continuity as long as there are still Andriod/IOS players.
In this case, I’d treat it more like a fan service “where are they now” kind of thing…the devs said they wanted to do the remake while they were still alive enough for the task, so I doubt they’d want to prolong this any more than they already are

My favorite twitter find was: The blue baby on the vending machine in Wallmarket means Cloud will save Aerith this time and they'll have babies
The cringe is strong with this one

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I stumbled on it enough on Twitter to assure you the blue baby theory does exist and is embraced by some part of the clerith fandom :')

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
Surely the blue baby thing was a spoof or troll?
Funny how we haven't really moved on from the idea of fictional marriage and family = happy ending, when in reality it's often anything but.
The only reason I might agree is because of the comment about “even without Sephiroth, perhaps things wouldn’t work out” or something like that…either way though, if the devs just say they got married and lived happily ever after, that puts detractors in a position where anything they come up with to oppose this would undeniably be literal head canon

frosty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Snowman
KindofBlue said:
Well, we did manage to produce the kinds of people who spam official social media accounts with essays about how a developer should treat their own characters, so there’s certainly some entitlement that Western fans and really fans in general should answer for but won’t.
Are you referring to the Jessie enthusiast :lol:
The most recent I saw was him accusing a content creator who does Resident Evil /FF crossovers that it was unfair that he/she didn't give Cloud/Jessie a kiss, the same way the content creator did one for Cloud/Leon Ada/Tifa. He even pulled out a (statistically questionable) Cloti/Clerith/Clessie bar graph to drive his point home.

That kind of dedication is...applaudable.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I wonder how many of these theories were started by trolls and ended up getting taken too seriously by crazy shippers...

I seriously wonder about that too. There's one clerith right now on Twitter who's very famous for being completely stupid, and I wonder if he's a troll. Saying that Cloud and Tifa only knew each other for 5 days... as hilarious as it is, one has to wonder.

Ryeleigh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Rye
I've read a great deal of fanfic, and I have to disagree with your assessment. While it is true that there's a significant number of fic writers who like to write about sex, this only reflects the high level of human interest in sex generally. I don't tend to find fanfiction writers' takes on characterisation to be any more or less accurate than that of fanartists, meta-writers, analysts etc.... And there's no correlation between how much the fic focuses on sex and how accurate the characterisations are.

If your fanfic experiences are different that's great!

I don't know if I worded it badly, but I didn't mean that fanfic in general is bad. But like with any medium there is more bad than good. I also didn't mean that *every* fic with sex is bad or that writing about sex is bad. I literally meant the fics where the characters are used as puppets for the writer's particular sexual fetish. I don't really know how to make that more clear, sorry!

eleamaya

Pro Adventurer
Alien Blue Baby is ridiculous.
But now, as Zack is alive, I can't wait to see if Zerith seized their theory lol

MiraTora

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
Toraki
Hi guys, there’s a quote I want to find. Did Nomura say Aerith’s name was connected with Cloud’s?(like earth and cloud). I try to find the original source but unfortunately I was lost

Thenir

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nirnaeth
I've never heard about any quote from Nomura or the other devs about this, nor I've seen any fan mentioning it when making this comparison, that actually isn't new.
Aerith's name is associated to the earth for the fact of being a Cetra. Cloud's name has probably another origin, linked to the mythical lore of Nibelheim/Niflheim (literally "home of mist" hence home of Cloud). It's also a hint of his personality. It's possible that the devs liked also the way these two names fitted the image of the sky and the earth, anyway Zack is constantly associated to the sky as well, so Idk..maybe.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
The name Nibelheim is based on Niflheim. Niflheim, also called Niflheimr, is a location in Norse Mythology meaning "mist world". In the story of Gylfaginning, Odin explains that creation began when the ice of Niflheimr met the flames of Muspelheim. Nibelheim is literally translated as "fog-home" in German. "Nibel" is an old-fashioned way to pronounce "Nebel", the German word for "fog", but can also be translated as "cloud" resulting in "cloud home". This is implicitly suggested by being the home of the protagonist, Cloud.

Early concept screenshots shows dialogue where the town is called ニヴルヘイム (Nivuruheim?), the standard transliteration of Niflheim in Japanese.

The names "Cloud" and "Strife" are English words referring to weather and difficulty respectively. Tetsuya Nomura has stated Cloud's name contrasts with Zack Fair's and the idea of "fair weather", in that Zack led a peaceful and happy life while Cloud's has been full of turmoil.

From the Wiki. So that's a lie (in 15 years in and out fandom I've never heard that either).

MiraTora

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
Toraki
Thank you, I just have a little debate with my group fandom. Idk whether they mistake Aerith and Cloud instead of Yuna and Tidus. I tried to search on wiki and they only mentioned Nomura explaining Tidus and Yuna name, so I’m a little confused where that info come from

eleamaya

Pro Adventurer
Hi guys, there’s a quote I want to find. Did Nomura say Aerith’s name was connected with Cloud’s?(like earth and cloud). I try to find the original source but unfortunately I was lost

From Dengeki PSP Vol.397

Question: You've given Zack a surname, which is also related to weather. Do you have any attachment to that theme?

Nomura: "It wasn't anyone's attachment, in particular, we just found ourselves continuing on with that theme. Cloud and Squall were my ideas, but after that, it wasn't so I didn't mind if we didn't carry on with it. With FFXIII as well Toriyama said he wanted to have something related to weather, and so we named the main character Lightning."

Kitase: "Just like with Biggs and Wedge, even if you say that it doesn't matter people around you will still pay mind to it."

Nomura: "But when we were deciding on Zack's name, since it had gone on it this long we decided to make it weather-related as well, and picked 'Fair (weather)'."

Kitase: "We'd already settled on the logo, so we picked a name with an image of a 'blue sky' based on that. We had three potential names lined up."

Nomura: "We were almost going to go with a different name that Kitase was pushing for, but there were too many objections to it so we went with Fair (laughs). But there are some sunflowers on the swimming trunks Zack wears at Costa del Sol, those are remnants of it."

That's the answer. They named FF's protagonists like Cloud, Squall, and Lightning based on weather. Particularly, Zack's name, although also based on weather, is straightly related to "blue sky" that Kitase even had three potential names about it. The sunflowers is perhaps related to "the sun" since fair weather is the sun shining within blue sky.

Idk about Cloud's origin in particular, it must be from very old interview about OG's development, right? But Nomura indeed loves mythology and FF7 has Norse lore, let's assume the wiki above is right. I guess Aerith's name is from Sakaguchi, dedicated to her mother and that it's about Planet/Earth and Life itself. So I dont think Cloud and Aerith's names are symbolically related.

Thenir

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nirnaeth
Lol twitter dramas. There's a similar reddit post of two days ago that turned into crazy takes and rude comments, I guess it's the same people.
It's embarrassing.

Last edited:

MiraTora

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
Toraki
Holy, the comments in that ACC latest tweet were such a disaster. I think the person in Twitter who said Aerith is more mature than Tifa is the same OP from Reddit who post about which girls are more mature, I saw that post and I didn’t want to interact because I already knew what will happen in those comment sections

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Well, some cleriths did not play the game... some didn't even play the OG and fell for clerith through KH lol. One is also known for making multiple accounts - and I'm talking about a shocking number of accounts. I think those people are best ignored lol.

Phantasia

Pro Adventurer
I think the person in Twitter who said Aerith is more mature than Tifa is the same OP from Reddit who post about which girls are more mature, I saw that post and I didn’t want to interact because I already knew what will happen in those comment sections

Yeah, I read that post too. The person started saying that it was not a Tifa vs Aerith post, but them proceeded to pit one against the other (and gob forbid someone said Tifa). We all know the true nature of those questions, and I don't get why people need that kind of validation... Is not like they ask looking for different points of view anyway.

They are both great in their own way. Having a preference is fine, but you don't need to belittle one character to raise the other, and especially them, for they work in tandem.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
Sorry to make this thread more meta by the way lol. I don’t keep up with who’s who on Twitter or Reddit but I’ll occasionally look at the shipping tags for a good laugh or two. Between #Cloti being full of hornyposting and arguing with Clerith shippers, #Clerith full of logical leaps larger than any building Superman could leap over, and #Clessie full of…well, Jairus, there’s no shortage of action there.

The same 'Doki Doki' group
BRUH, I swear I’ve been seeing that “doki doki” bit from the Ultimania referenced more often than usual

how do these peoples brains even function?
Something like this, I imagine
713EFE44-4C11-4447-AD46-44DB8991971E.gif

Top Bottom