Votes: 96 88.9%
  • Dead

Votes: 12 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

knit_lace

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Not arguing he could have ended up with Aerith. That's just shipping nonsense.

My only point is that the game let you choose whether he ended up with Tifa or not, just like it let you choose whether humanity survived or not. Then the compilation decided for you.

I think if they had wanted to allow the player to choose who Cloud wants to be with/whether he ends up with Tifa, they could have given the player more options. Why must Cloud spent his last night with Tifa? They should have allowed the player options to visit
1) The Forgotten City/Church = loves/fights for Aerith
2) The cliff where Zack died = fights for Zack's legacy
3) Nibelheim == he fights for his mother/hometown.

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
3) Nibelheim == he fights for his mother/hometown.

I think we went over this before (long time ago) but Cloud's mom has to be the most underappreciated video game mother ever. Does he even mention her anywhere in the compilation? Hello Cloud, your mom either became a Sephiroth clone or fucking burned to death.

Winter

8ad 8r8k
AKA
oddishness, like vines, azula, femshep, winter
Nojima seeems to have more of an opinion on it than Nomura does. Possible reasons for why he danced around the subject / for why he was being so-called ~vague~:

1-otakus (they can be pretty scary),

2-he was getting sick of getting asked such an inane question ("what? this again? oi. wtf is wrong with these peeps"), or

3-because he thought that he was being really clever and funny ("hee-hee~ look at me! i so funny, and i like getting attentionz").

I am going with the #2 and #3.

It could also be because he's had a hand in creating actual love stories, like VIII and X. Unlike those two, love was not one of the overarching themes of VII, other than the love the people had for the planet and the way Cloud felt about his friends.

I love Cloud/Aeris, I love the characters and relationships that VII presented, but I don't really think anyone could argue that VII was a love story. Love took a backseat to the fact that Cloud was arguably the craziest motherfucker ever to play the lead in a Final Fantasy game.

Looking at it that way, I can see why Nomura would be annoyed if people kept asking him questions about the relationships in VII; its like, "I GAVE YOU GUYS LOVE STORIES AND YOU'RE STILL ON ME ABOUT THIS WHAT THE HELL"

or I could be wrong and he could just be preoccupied with belts and zippers.

Jacen said:
I think we went over this before (long time ago) but Cloud's mom has to be the most underappreciated video game mother ever. Does he even mention her anywhere in the compilation? Hello Cloud, your mom either became a Sephiroth clone or fucking burned to death.
It was recently brought up in another thread, but Cloud's father remains probably the only character to never be mentioned or show up in any Compilation game ever. We don't even know (well, this could be rectified by now what with the Compilation) if the man was even married to his mom.

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
Ja, foh seriaz. Aeris lost her mom when she was still wetting the bed and remembers her fondly years later. Cloud couldn't even be arsed to utter a line about her even though he spent at least 14 years of his lif with her and then she died in a fire?

What a little bitch

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
His father is Sephiroth via Timey Wimey Ball. And Star Wars begins again...

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Ja, foh seriaz. Aeris lost her mom when she was still wetting the bed and remembers her fondly years later. Cloud couldn't even be arsed to utter a line about her even though he spent at least 14 years of his lif with her and then she died in a fire?

What a little bitch

Yeah, he remembered the day Tifa's mom died, but not his own apparently.

Also, I could see Barret turning out to be Cloud's dad. :D

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu

Actually, he does. It's part of the 'fake' nibelheim story. He checks the house only to learn she's dead.

Also, I could see Barret turning out to be Cloud's dad. :D

I still want Cid to be his elder brother. Search your feelings! You know him to be Golbez!

knit_lace

Lv. 25 Adventurer

No kidding. If I were Cloud's mom, I would roll in my grave. Bastard. Maybe he is.At least he mentioned her when he stabbed Sephiroth during Nibelheim.

@FFVII not being a love story: While romantic love is not FFVII main plot line, it is still a subplot, and I like it that way. In-your-face romantic love always seems cheesy to me

@Sephiroth's lovers on the Astral Plane: They should go by the name Jenova. Then they'll be golden in Sephiroth's eyes.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
@FFVII not being a love story: While romantic love is not FFVII main plot line, it is still a subplot, and I like it that way. In-your-face romantic love always seems cheesy to me
Although since that seems to be the only way to end the LTD, I say bring it on :monster:

Vendel

Banned
Although since that seems to be the only way to end the LTD, I say bring it on :monster:

The LTD is over Q.

Cleriths just need to wrap their minds around the fact that they got it wrong. It is not open for interpretation. They got it wrong. All those supposed "romantic" C/A scenes? Not romantic. All those moments they insisted are not romantic between C/T? Romantic. Cloud desires to be with Tifa. Not Aerith.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
To me it's not over until the Cleriths admit it. Yes I am setting the bar high but I don't care... and yes it CAN happen and it will... just possibly not any time soon.

KissTheRain

reality is a prison
AKA
jailbait
Hey Quex, will the Christians ever admit that evolution might actually be true? No, because it's an emotional attachment to it and they would kill to keep themselves happy. (or spam/flame/troll etc) Just fill in Clerith and Cloti for the Christians and Atheists, it's the same principal facts just don't seem to matter when you love your religion...errr pairing.

Isabella

Your Mom
Cleriths just need to wrap their minds around the fact that they got it wrong. It is not open for interpretation. They got it wrong. All those supposed "romantic" C/A scenes? Not romantic. All those moments they insisted are not romantic between C/T? Romantic. Cloud desires to be with Tifa. Not Aerith.
This.

Cloud standing in the rain IS NOT A LOVE SCENE. It's a rather cliched image, and it's usually a guy who's had a great burden taken from him and is relishing a feeling of peace. He's not kissing the rain, or feeling her caress on his face. It's not about her!

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Hey Quex, will the Christians ever admit that evolution might actually be true? No, because it's an emotional attachment to it and they would kill to keep themselves happy. (or spam/flame/troll etc) Just fill in Clerith and Cloti for the Christians and Atheists, it's the same principal facts just don't seem to matter when you love your religion...errr pairing.

We're not talking about religion here, we're talking about a video game. None of these people have been Cleriths their entire lives where as Christians and Atheists are generally Christian or Atheists their whole lives and life their lives accordingly. A religion will always come before a video game. It's different when you enjoy something or like a story to go one way vs something you dedicated trying to live your life according to.

I used to be Chrsitian and now I'm leaning more toward Atheism or Agonstic.. ism... and it didn't happen overnight. It took a loong time for me to make a switch like that and there was a lot of disbelief and emotionalal pain to think that something I dedicated my life to might have been a lie. Enjoying a video game pairing really cannot compare.

KissTheRain

reality is a prison
AKA
jailbait
Cloud standing in the rain IS NOT A LOVE SCENE.
LULZ KISS THE RAIN DON'T CHA KNOW? I'M A GENIUS. CLERITH FOREVER!!!!

We're not talking about religion here, we're talking about a video game.
Oh sorry, couldn't tell the difference. I swear if I start seeing Clerith churches go up you'll owe me a lot Quexi. xD

Isabella

Your Mom
You don't think someone who's been dedicated to this for 12 years and has written numerous essays about it will have a strong emotional attachment?

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
They do but not as much as someone who was raised to believe in God and dedicate their life to him. I was Sonic fan for a long time, had several websites about him and so on, but even my faith in him was killed after Sonic Heroes... well almost I can't help but look forward to this needlenose thing. They're making it so interesting... and Unleashed was a step in the right direction... but still.

The point is, yes they have emotional attachment, but not as much as a Christian would or at least should have to their god.

Winter

8ad 8r8k
AKA
oddishness, like vines, azula, femshep, winter
Vendel said:
All those supposed "romantic" C/A scenes? Not romantic.
I beg to differ. In the original game canon I guarantee you those scenes were intended to be romantic.

In 1997 half the world was convinced Cloud was in love with Aeris. Were we all just retarded? No. There are scenes that, whether Cloud ended up with Aeris or not or whether you think he loved her or not, were deliberately intended to be romantic.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
I beg to differ. In the original game canon I guarantee you those scenes were intended to be romantic.

In 1997 half the world was convinced Cloud was in love with Aeris. Were we all just retarded? No. There are scenes that, whether Cloud ended up with Aeris or not or whether you think he loved her or not, were deliberately intended to be romantic.

Or that were intended to be mistaken as romantic, before the red herring was revealed, anyways

knit_lace

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Cloud standing in the rain IS NOT A LOVE SCENE. It's a rather cliched image, and it's usually a guy who's had a great burden taken from him and is relishing a feeling of peace. He's not kissing the rain, or feeling her caress on his face. It's not about her!

It's always about her. She's all things and everything to Cloud. You should know that by now. She's inside him; who can beat that?

KissTheRain

reality is a prison
AKA
jailbait
The point is, yes they have emotional attachment, but not as much as a Christian would or at least should have to their god.
There is no limit of how much you should be attached or how much you love your god, but even in the right wing hick town i'm in I know plenty of Christians that don't love Jesus like some people love Clerith.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
My upbringing was that you should love God and Jesus more than anything. Put nothing ahead of him ever...

Though I guess that's not to say everyone follows that... and I have no idea how many Cleriths are religious anyway :monster:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster

You know, I'm a Christian and I believe in evolution. My church once had a interim pastor give a sermon and what did he say? He believes in evolution, too. :)

Half the world? Sure FFVII is popular but half the world? Do that many people even know enough about video games to know what FFVII even is or what it's about?

Also yes, a lot of those people could be wrong. As Ryu said, we ware lead to believe initially that Aerith is the love interest, probably because it makes her death more of a shock. Love interest in an RPG dieing? Mainstream audiences weren't used to the fact.

But then in the Lifestream scene the truth is revealed, only to be cemented later on under the airship. Clerith is a red herring. Good stories usually have them. :monster:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom