Votes: 96 88.9%
  • Dead

Votes: 12 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lily Ella

Pro Adventurer
In 1997 half the world was convinced Cloud was in love with Aeris. Were we all just retarded? No. There are scenes that, whether Cloud ended up with Aeris or not or whether you think he loved her or not, were deliberately intended to be romantic.
And half of the "world" were convinced that Harry would end up with Hermione. Your point?

And yes, I know that it's a veeeeeee old comparison, but my god does it fit.

+ word @ the whole red herring thing. I, of course, being a fucking brilliant super GENIUS, never fell for any of it though.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I fell for it. I was younger and all about the cliche tail of the mysterious girl, last of her kind, healer, connection to plants, wears pink and is uber girly, being the love the the hero and needing to be rescued. I used to eat stuff like that up for dinner.

I knew Aerith died before I first played the game. The only disappointment I remember feeling was that the game hadn't been romantic enough for my tastes. I wonder why? :wacky:

Lily Ella

Pro Adventurer
I fell for it. I was younger and all about the cliche tail of the mysterious girl, last of her kind, healer, connection to plants, wears pink and is uber girly, being the love the the hero and needing to be rescued. I used to eat stuff like that up for dinner.
Totally understandable and forgivable. After all, not all girls are as butch and manly as OWD and I.

I knew Aerith died before I first played the game. The only disappointment I remember feeling was that the game hadn't been romantic enough for my tastes. I wonder why? :wacky:
Because you didn't (and still don't obviously, since you like Cloud/Tifa) know what REAL LOVE is like, DUH.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Totally understandable and forgivable. After all, not all girls are as butch and manly as OWD and I.

haha Of course. I couldn't never hope to even come close!

Because you didn't (and still don't obviously, since you like Cloud/Tifa) know what REAL LOVE is like, DUH.

Oh do forgive me.

You were paying attention to the wrong girl.

Ah, it all makes sense now. :)

But no seriously, that was the main issue I had with Aerith's death the first time around. I was like, "Is this the part where she dies? Not it can't be, nothing romantic has happened it!" And then boom it was, and I was kind of miffed and disappointed. I had been led to believe that FFVII was some huge epic love story and that Cloud and Aerith's bond was so strong that it transcended death, and I just thought for something like that there really wasn't that great a build up for it.

But then I kept playing, saw that the actual story of the game was awesome, and by the end I was a fence sitter because it seemed obvious at the time that the game was set up very much in a way where he loved Aerith but would move on with Tifa because he loved her as well kind of way.

Then I got into the debates and I left the fence for one side. :monster:

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Eh, throwing a game-altering interception deserves a lot of blame.

Also, you won't be so fond of the guy when he starts drama queening over retiring, all the way past training camp like he always does. Teams need to know who their quarterback is from the outset.

Fighter

Pro Adventurer
Ask yourself this. When they decided to write the compilation was it really much of a choice which version to pick? Because I think it wasn't. And I think that says a lot.

I think the LA version is incomplete. It's a rifle on the wall that doesn't shoot. Cloud does not resolve an integral conflict of his character which we are presented with in the Lifestream. He is supposed to tell Tifa how he feels because he never could. He has grown as a person and now the story throws him back to face his past, the girl he never had the courage to open up to and if he sits there spacing out, like he used to skulk beneath her window, while his childhood flame is expecting heart to heart after all this time then what was it all for?

You can play the game a different way and taking only the game without the context of the compilation that would be your story, your canon. That is the nature of providing you with choices. And if you really dislike Tifa so the game isn't going kick you screaming into her arms. But one story still makes sense (to me; and now to the compilation apparently) and the other one does not.

To me it's not over until the Cleriths admit it. Yes I am setting the bar high but I don't care... and yes it CAN happen and it will... just possibly not any time soon.

Every single one? I think a lot already do.

I beg to differ. In the original game canon I guarantee you those scenes were intended to be romantic.

In 1997 half the world was convinced Cloud was in love with Aeris. Were we all just retarded? No. There are scenes that, whether Cloud ended up with Aeris or not or whether you think he loved her or not, were deliberately intended to be romantic.

You know I usually don't argue that Cloud never had feelings for Aerith. Especially when the game gave choices to show a clear interest.

But what you say is an appeal to belief. Once upon a time most believed the sun turned round the earth. Harry Potter fans believed Harry loved Hermione (like Lily says). Their belief didn't make it so.

FFVII was subtle and obscure. People believed a lot of things.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Isabella said:
I think when the game was first released there really wasn't a canon conclusion to the love triangle.

That, IMO, is part of the reason why Nomura was so cagely in earlier interviews. I think there was a time when it really was up to us whether Cloud ended up with Tifa or not. But after AC was released and beyond, he became a lot more forthcoming, as did the others, because they'd made the decision on which to build their narrative and figured folks who had seen the movie, played the games and read the novellas would see that.

So, to sum up, I think a canon pairing was the result of the compilation.

Yes.

That's all I really have to add. :monster:

Commander Shepard said:
Probably, but all the quote says is that he doesn't know how it turned out. At least not immediately following the game. And it's kind of silly to deflect that question if there's a straight answer to it.

Jem: if we had relevant quotes from anyone else, they'd have been discussed to a pulp years ago. You know that.

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/magazine/gamebooks/ff/7novel/2p.html
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v132/Squall_of_Seed/Nojima.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v132/Squall_of_Seed/Nojima2.png
Kazushige Nojima said:
Case of Tifa ... first, there's the premise that things aren't going well between Tifa and Cloud, and that even without geostigma and Sephiroth, it would still be the same. I don't mean to get into my views on romantic love, marriage and family. (laughs) After ACC, maybe Denzel and Marlene can get them to. Perhaps things would have gone well with Aerith, but Aerith's responsibility is big, I think.

:awesome:

Or, prior to that interview, but after Nomura's earlier comment about not knowing what Cloud and Tifa's relationship was like after the game:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v132/Squall_of_Seed/tifa-1.jpg
Nomura said:
Various positions come together in Tifa. She's also like a mother, is also a koibito, and is also a close ally in battle.

:monster:

And that's Nomura saying that.

Unless one thinks he was talking about Rude or Johnny being the one who makes her a desired person -- alongside mentioning Marlene and Denzel, whom she's raising, and her friends, whom she risks her life alongside -- then it's safe to say that Nomura's understanding of things changed somewhere before Advent Children's release and sometime after.

Either that, or he was being deliberately coy in his earlier comment.

Either way, that ancient Nomura quote is no longer on the table.

Tennyo said:
Half the world? Sure FFVII is popular but half the world? Do that many people even know enough about video games to know what FFVII even is or what it's about?

I think LV meant "half the world" in the sense of "half the audience." That's how it's typically used for phrases related to media.

You gotta hear this Gin Blossoms song. It's like they wrote it for me in 1992.

Forgot to reply to this earlier. You know the Gin Blossoms, and are, therefore, cool.

For some of them it is like a religion.
Clerith.com said:
May the beauty and love of CloudxAerith be with you always.

What are the odds of timing like that?

Last edited:

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null

There's also one that says (paraphrased) "Tifa is like any woman who's been left by a man." And (also paraphrased) "I knew Cloud and Tifa would be together... everyone would be where they belonged." Both from Nojima around AC's release, I believe.

I'm just trying to stir the pot. This thread sucks unless people are on the attack, being sarcastic, or posting lesbians. Otherwise they just find new ways to agree with each other.

Also, my leave and, by extension, my vacation as a 15 yr old is over. Back to being a grownup. :) You guys are great. All of y'all take care, see ya when I see ya.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
.. I'm confused

MotA's essay came to a Cloti conclusion... why are they all so happy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom