LTD Who did Aerith love?

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
Random note that is semi-related - in the anime Inuyasha, the title character is at first attracted to Kagome because she reminds him of his dead lover Kikyo and is later revealed to be her reincarnation. Over the course of the series however they become closer, and he genuinely falls for her based on her own merits once he accepts she and Kikyo are different people. KagomexInuyasha is the established canon pairing in the series, but KikyoxInuyasha is also supported due to the fact at one time they *were* together, that is also canon. They're simply over each other, Kikyo later comes back to life but neither she nor Inuyasha have any desire to rekindle their relationship.

So there's my story, take from it anything you like.

As for the "what-if", would Aerith have pursued Cloud if she had lived? I think so, by the Gold Saucer scene we know she comes to accept Cloud isn't Zack but still shows interest in him. Now, how Cloud and Tifa would have reacted to Aerith's advances if she lived, who knows? I suspect though, had Aerith lived they would have gone with the *real* original version of the Highwind scene - Cloud leaves the Chocobo stable, followed by Tifa, and then shortly after by Aerith.

Wow good example! The only thing is that Kagome is the total opposite of Kikyo, even though she's her direct reincarnation. Cloud (tries) to have the exact same personality as Zack, so the situation is kind of different.

I would actually be totally willing to back this pairing if there were more proof. :monster:
I could write a crazy shipper essay that would put the Clerith ones to shame. I just cba. :hohum:

Also I don't think Aerith finally figuring out that Cloud was a different person = she started to love or was in love with the real Cloud. She had interest, initially because of Zack and before she died all she really tells us is she wants to put that all aside to try to know the real Cloud. So how that = she was in love with him is beyond me.

He's the object of her affection since Zack is dead or before they are reunited in the lifestream, and even then it's not like Aerith and Zack start a relationship in the lifestream. They are just two lovers, finally able to see each other again after all this time, and they leave together presumably to go be lifestream goo after AC.

I think this is LTD relevant because a majority of the Clerith side wouldn't exist if they didn't feel their favourite character had "lost" to Tifa. She didn't lose anything, she never loved Cloud, she loved Zack, Cloud loved Tifa and Tifa loved Cloud.

Last edited:

minimosey

Pro Adventurer
Actually Even if Cloud was forever wangsting away after Aerith it would make no bit of difference. Because as early as her running off by herself there is zero romantic interest on her part towards Cloud. If we go by CoLW she didn't even think of Cloud until meeting Sephy. And she leaves at the end of AC.

So yes Aeriths mindset can be considered important.

How does her running off by herself indicate zero romantic interest toward Cloud? He'd just had a major meltdown and beaten her. He was mentally unstable and it was obvious to anyone who knew him. In the dream she specifically asks him to let her handle things and REST--her running off on her own is explicitly tied to concern for Cloud.

In fact, just her giving the dream to Cloud indicates how much she cares about Cloud. Think about why Aerith is giving him this dream. It's not a request for help, because she specifically tells him to stay put. Aerith did not believe she needed the others' help with Holy, because it was something only an Ancient could do. The dream has nothing to do with saving the world, it's something she does for very personal reasons. She gives him the dream to tell him to rest so he doesn't have a breakdown, to explain EXACTLY why she's leaving--considering the suspicious circumstances (girl takes off without a word after guy pummels her?)--and to reassure him that she's coming back.

The last one turned out to be a lie, but anyway. Cloud was mentally unstable and the world was in danger of being ended by a giant rock--it wasn't the TIME for flirting. But everything she does at that point is about 1) saving the Planet and 2) protecting Cloud from any more stress. It ended up doing the opposite, but the intentions there show a lot of concern for Cloud--it doesn't do anything to negate romantic feelings, if anything bolstering them (she knows Sephiroth/Jenova has SOME kind of hold on Cloud's mind from what happened at the temple, but still sends him the message because she wants to reassure him--this is part of why she dies).

...Are you arguing that "staying" was a valid option for Aerith at the end of AC? And she doesn't think of Cloud in CoLW until a whopping THREE paragraphs have transpired, at which point she calls him her "beloved". Ummm...

Wolverine said:
Also I don't think Aerith finally figuring out that Cloud was a different person = she started to love or was in love with the real Cloud. She had interest, initially because of Zack and before she died all she really tells us is she wants to put that all aside to try to know the real Cloud. So how that = she was in love with him is beyond me.

No, I don't think that by itself means she was in love with the real Cloud. However, she continues flirting with Cloud past that point (Temple of Ancients), which I think would indicate she's romantically interested in Cloud, even knowing that he's not Zack.

Last edited:
Indeed, but romantic interest != in love with the person she doesn't even know. She's trying, she has interest in not giving up on him, but she's dead before he could even try showing her who he really is.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Do wild mood swings count? And actually, there *is* someone else - a wolf demon named Kouga who Inuyasha hates, and they constantly compete. He declares Kagome "his woman" within hours of kidnapping her.

Yes, but Kagome has openly expressed a lack of interest in him, so 'the someone else' is a single arrow triangle point.

Wow good example! The only thing is that Kagome is the total opposite of Kikyo, even though she's her direct reincarnation. Cloud (tries) to have the exact same personality as Zack, so the situation is kind of different.

I find it's best not to compare Rumiko Takahashi manga love triangles to anything else, since there are always further complicating details than anyting else. The sanest one is probably Maison Ikkoku, which only involved two overlapping triangles, with one man being interested in his widow landlady but also in the girl interested in him, and the landlady is also being pursued by another man. And even that has strange silly complications.

Vendel

Banned
How does her running off by herself indicate zero romantic interest toward Cloud? He'd just had a major meltdown and beaten her. He was mentally unstable and it was obvious to anyone who knew him. In the dream she specifically asks him to let her handle things and REST--her running off on her own is explicitly tied to concern for Cloud.

Yes concern. So what?

Cloud was mentally unstable and the world was in danger of being ended by a giant rock--it wasn't the TIME for flirting. But everything she does at that point is about 1) saving the Planet and 2) protecting Cloud from any more stress.

And that continues even after her death. Almost like she had come to grips with her feelings and had shifted her stance on Cloud.

It ended up doing the opposite, but the intentions there show a lot of concern for Cloud--it doesn't do anything to negate romantic feelings, if anything bolstering them

Showing concern and running off like an idiot do not bolster her romantic feelings for Cloud. Just like AVALANCHE chasing after her do not bolster any of their feelings.

...Are you arguing that "staying" was a valid option for Aerith at the end of AC? And she doesn't think of Cloud in CoLW until a whopping THREE paragraphs have transpired, at which point she calls him her "beloved". Ummm...

The point is her thought process in CoLW is not romantic. And by her own thoughts had not worried in "some time". Not until she meets Sephys presence. And guess who is all over his mind? And who does she try to help in AC? And who does she show ZERO romantic interest in?

Also the number of paragraphs in CoLW is meaningless. I don't care if it was THREE or THIRTY.

No, I don't think that by itself means she was in love with the real Cloud. However, she continues flirting with Cloud past that point (Temple of Ancients), which I think would indicate she's romantically interested in Cloud, even knowing that he's not Zack.

Once again showing concern and flirting with someone do not mean you are hopelessly in love with them. Epically after you realize that they are in fact not your dead boyfriend.

paoo

♥
Once again showing concern and flirting with someone do not mean you are hopelessly in love with them. Epically after you realize that they are in fact not your dead boyfriend.

Then what are you showing if you are in love with a person?

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Then what are you showing if you are in love with a person?
Your boobies. Clearly, Aerith is not in love with Cloud at that point because boobies were not shown.

:monster:

Homura Akemi

Just a lurker now ;3
AKA
Black★Rock Shooter, Hatsune Miku, Rin, Rin Okumura, Zack Fair.
I would say zack, but there was that time when she said she loved cloud more, I think she loves them the same, but I fell like zack deserves her more, but thats all a matter opinion^_^

Aerith's feelings for Cloud are romantic interest. Never do we see them revert to anything resembling platonic until AC/ACC, so I would argue that before her death--even after she realizes her 'initial' attraction--her coming to "grip" simply means that she understands why she was attracted to Cloud. It does NOT stop her interest in him.

I usually avoid the 'what if' scenarios in general, but what makes you think she would not have continued to pursue Cloud? It was clear she was aware of Tifa's feelings for Cloud, and also of his in regards to Tifa from the beginning and that didn't stop her from flirting and trying....

If only Sephiroth had refrained from skewering her, the sexual tensions and jealous rivalry between Cloud, Tifa, and Aerith would have ripped the party apart, leaving him free to pursue his plans for world domination unopposed. So Sephiroth stabbed himself in the foot.

Fairheartstrife

[no fucks given]
AKA
FHS, that cloti bitch
If only Sephiroth had refrained from skewering her, the sexual tensions and jealous rivalry between Cloud, Tifa, and Aerith would have ripped the party apart, leaving him free to pursue his plans for world domination unopposed. So Sephiroth stabbed himself in the foot.

Ah, yes, but for there to be sexual tension both parties must exhibit some form of interest, and clearly, Tifa Cloud was oblivious. :hohum:

Lily Ella

Pro Adventurer
I would say zack, but there was that time when she said she loved cloud more
Yeah... but doesn't she makes that claim at the very beginning of a story, at a time when she was still quite very confuzzled. Have we not seen this kind of thing many a times in other forms of media before? I know I have.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
Here's a question though... do you guys who think she loves Zack more think that after she died, those feelings she had for Cloud just... left? Or what do you think happened to those?

Isabella

Your Mom
I think it's more complicated than "she loves x and not y." She was clearly attracted to Cloud and wanted to get closer to him. I don't think that desire entirely went away, but Aerith transitioned from a girl with earthbound concerns and desires to one who has a "mother earth" guardian role. I don't think she's really concerned with loving Cloud OR Zack. In fact, after ACC I think she returned to the lifestream to become one with it. If she tries to cozy up to either guy, she's not really dead and gone, IMO.

You can love more than one person, and while I'm not convinced she truly loved Cloud, I don't think her desire for him just evaporated when she was reunited with Zack. But nor do I think she stopped loving Zack. As someone who's been in Aerith's situation, I know how complex it can get.

Vendel

Banned
I think it's more complicated than "she loves x and not y." She was clearly attracted to Cloud and wanted to get closer to him. I don't think that desire entirely went away, but Aerith transitioned from a girl with earthbound concerns and desires to one who has a "mother earth" guardian role. I don't think she's really concerned with loving Cloud OR Zack. In fact, after ACC I think she returned to the lifestream to become one with it. If she tries to cozy up to either guy, she's not really dead and gone, IMO.

You can love more than one person, and while I'm not convinced she truly loved Cloud, I don't think her desire for him just evaporated when she was reunited with Zack. But nor do I think she stopped loving Zack. As someone who's been in Aerith's situation, I know how complex it can get.

Well we have a couple explanations for Aeriths behavior. I tend to think that by the time she ran off in FFVII that she had already begun to come to grips with her feelings for Cloud and was in translation. CoLW and ACC are natural extensions of this line of thinking.

But even if you don't believe that then it appears death has quelled her romantic urges. You could say her meeting with Zack caused this change in her attitude towards Cloud. But by CoLW she still hadn't met up with him yet. So no go there.

And I agree that Aerith and Zack are not spirit humping. For them being reunited before diffusing into the lifestream completes their story arc.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
Except it's been stated that if Sephiroth exists than Aerith must... and we know Seph won't be diffusing any time soon.

Top Bottom