Lucrecia's characterization and depiction

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Lucrecia had to sneak into the lab to work on him that time
"I thought I heard a rat down here", she was only left alone because Hojo misinterpreted what she was trying to do and found it funny.

The experiments didn't make him seal himself away, he's fine about the monsters until he loses the Protomateria. It's guilt re Lucrecia that makes him stay in the coffin.

Hojo did not dispute it was her lab and why are we assuming he misinterpreted her experiment at all. It certainly looks like she completed her thesis on Chaos and Omega thanks to Vincent, exactly as he said.

And we didn't see how he initially ended up in that coffin. In the original game that might have been the case, when Lucretia left due to the Jenova cells left inside following the experiment. Dirge retconned all of that. She was doing well enough and still at work for years afterwards.

We don't really see exactly how it ended but I do not think it is as clearcut as Lucretia finishing her experiment, waking Vincent up, him being perfectly happy with the change even after transforming for a few dozen times, then her leaving and him of his own volition entombing himself out of colossal guilt.

Genesis had a very resilient body, but he was also slowly rotting alive and would eventually have died. An indestructable body with faults isn't necessarily incompatible, like how the imperfect Titan formula in Arkham Asylum made its subjects very physically tough but also prone to cardiac arrest. There are several other examples of that in FF7 and the compilation, where an enhancement makes you physically tough but vulnerable to something else.

Genesis was fine until Sephiroth, the most dangerous being on the Planet wounded him. That wouldn't disqualify a discription of having a very resilient body, though no one in canon gave him that. A dying body, made near indestructable that had zero effect on it still dying from an utterly mundane wound is a big difference.

hian

Purist
I didn't even know that Lucrecia was widely hated until I saw this thread.
I never gave her much notice at all - much like the plot of FFVII *badam-tssss*

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Gast is a far more minor character, he's not even namedropped in Dirge and appears on screen only in his own home videos in an optional section in the OG. Lucrecia was extremely prominent in a subsequent game. The level of focus they get is likely linked to that. Gillian had basically the same role as Lucrecia in project G, but gets no hate because she only has one scene. Nobody is at all sympathetic to Hojo or Hollander. Or do you think this debate would be happening if Dirge didn't exist?

It seems unlikely that Hojo was ever more subtle. Gast had cut and run by the time he came to power, and he never displays any other kind of personality in flashbacks or not. Vincent did notice, but seems to have deferred to Lucrecia's judgement.

Actually, what's canonically shown of Lucrecia and Hojo's relationship is sufficient to qualify it as unambiguously abusive. The constant mocking and verbal abuse when she's trying to revive Vincent, preventing her from going anywhere near Sephiroth, shooting Vincent for having a problem with the way the experiment was affecting her, that's abusive behaviour. It's literally stuff defined as abusive when consulting resources on abusive relationships, which can be seen among the sources I linked.

I was pointing out that the assumption that Hojo's craziness, lack of morals and how much of a danger he posed to everyone around him was blatantly obvious the way it is in the OG is based on things that hadn't happened yet back then, which is what people keep citing when expressing dislike for Lucrecia.

I actually agree with you here, I think. As I've said, I found Dirge Lucrecia sympathetic enough as it was. For the people that find Lucrecia unsympathetic, the only way to make her more sympathetic is to take decision out of her hands or play up how her situation was affecting her judgement. My Vincent example was to indicate that it wasn't necessarily quite as clearcut a horrible call on her part as it looked at first glance, so essentially I was agreeing with you, but somewhere along the line we got wires crossed.

Re Vincent' lack of concern for Sephiroth, he never mentions him at all in Dirge or any of the OG, in spite of all his angst over the fate of Lucrecia, he never says anything like 'If I'd done something, maybe Sephiroth wouldn't have turned out the way he did.'

I also pointed out that the disproportionate amount of dislike directed at Lucrecia about it compared to how people treat Vincent and Gast in that regard suggest a double standard, seeing as all three of them failed to notice the danger before it was too late. That all three of them did that is tangible evidence that Hojo wasn't as obvious as he is later on, along with all the stuff Hojo did going from then onward. I'm not pulling this out of nowhere, nor am I denying the lack of certainty

No, Hojo as an abuser is something I bring up because canon has actually shown us abusive behaviour, yet few people ever seem to talk about that aspect of the relationship.

It comes up in nearly every discussion, IIRC.

Debateable. Everything he does post game doesn't take much squinting to interpret as a play for power.
I'm not entirely sure about the extent of his reform either but he's definitely learned something and assisted in fixing things he's directly or indirectly responsible for, so he's at least trying.

Also debateable, but I won't derail the thread.

I think some of the pushback against the interpretation of Hojo as an abuser is because it's a very commonly used trope to try to justify someone's actions due to being a victim. It's done a lot because it is easy for an audience to sympathise with, but it can also often be seen as cheap drama because of that (obviously, this applies only in fictional cases). Good writing can make Lucrecia sympathetic without the need for something likely to be dismissed as a cheap trope. Is it a possibility? Yes. Is it necessary?. No. And if you play with something like that, it is very important that it is done well. Given the amount of time likely to be devoted to Lucrecia in the remake, is it likely that the issue will be properly dealt with?
There are plenty of characters who were wronged by someone and end up doing wrong in turn. Most bullies were once victims of bullying. Acknowledging that doesn't forbid you from taking issue with anything they did, it just means you recognize that it happened, that it was wrong, how it affected them and hopefully have some sympathy about it. Understanding that Lucrecia was abused and how that affected her doesn't mean you have to like how she dealt with it or that she was involved in human experimentation, it just means you understand her circumstances and how she was affected by it.

How often such a thing happens doesn't have any bearing on whether or not it happened either. People still look at abusive or generally unhealthy relationships and gloss over that element without a second thought. People may see unhealthy behaviour and think of it as just relationship troubles they'll get over after some make up sex or see abuse and don't realize or acknowledge that's what it is. Harley and Joker would be a well known example of an abusive relationship, yet some people still don't see the abuse just because they take it for granted that bad guys are bad. There's very much still a problem in how people treat abusive and unhealthy relationships, especially in regards to treating depictions of it as cheap or like it somehow tarnishes a story/character to have it present.
[/quote]

It's not the fact of the depictions in itself that is cheap, but the fact that it can be used in a story not to explore the issue but as a shortcut, so that the author can say "Now I don't have to justify anything else this character does", that this can become a problematic trend. If you're going to use something like that, use it because you're going to deal with it properly, not because it makes a character more or less sympathetic.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I actually agree with you here, I think. As I've said, I found Dirge Lucrecia sympathetic enough as it was. For the people that find Lucrecia unsympathetic, the only way to make her more sympathetic is to take decision out of her hands or play up how her situation was affecting her judgement.

The way to make her more sympathetic is too have the Jenova cells the experiment injected her with effect her negatively, forcing her to leave. Which is what the OG did. Having her involvement drag on for years into Sephiroth's childhood (by which time he wasn't being bred to be an substitute Ancient anymore, but rather raised to be the ultimate weapon) makes things a very different story, same for Vincent. And the Chaos BS that made neccesary in the minds of Dirge's creators isn't gonna figure heavily into this remake anyway, so why go out of their way to acknowledge it?

I'm not trying to deny that Lucrecia was abused. Just like I wouldn't try to deny that someone had been mauled after they walked into a tiger's cage, and I would also call 911/999. That doesn't alter the fact that Lucrecia must have known what Hojo's nature was like before entering into a relationship with him.

There is no reason to suppose he didn't show his true colours to her. Yes, everything we see of him and his actions comes after their wedding, but Starling, your claim that he must have presented as a different kind of person before their is based on your view of Lucrecia as an abused person. Taking as true the premise that Lucrecia was an abused person, and also taking as true the premise that no blame can accrue to her for this, you reason backwards and conclude that it must follow that Hojo lured her into the relationship under false pretenses. But SE provides us with no canon evidence for this. This argument is a logical fallacy.

There is one thing Lucrecia must have known before getting into a relationship with Hojo, and that is that he was willing - nay, keen - to perform genetic experiments on unborn fetuses. She must have also have known that Jenova's cells were not human cells. She must have looked at them down a microscope. So she would additionally have known that Hojo was willing, nay eager, to create a chimera. Any man willing to abuse an unborn fetus in that way is, one would assume, a man lacking a moral compass. Unfortunately, Lucrecia was equally eager to create a human chimera. She knew there was a tiger in the cage and she got in anyway, because she was a tiger too. Maybe she assumed that, however willing he was to harm others in pursuit of his own ends, he wouldn't harm her, because he loved her or because they were two of a kind. Maybe she overestimated her power over him.

What she didn't anticipate was how motherhood would change her.

Last edited:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Well, I find Lucrecia's emotional personality a complete mess, even with Dirge of Cerberus or not.

Gast on the other hand, now that's one character that needs expanding, I have to admit. Like, did Aerith even got the mention of him as a child before her mother died? I mean, c'mon, the dude's Aerith's father that she never knew about, or at least, the creators didn't reveal that if she really knew or not.

Although if you want to count on the "The Maiden Travels the Planet" novel, though I don't remember Gast being in it.

Sorta makes her a personal embodiement of light opposite to Sephiroth who never knew about Lucrecia being his mother or that was never told about the real truth.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
There is no reason to suppose he didn't show his true colours to her. Yes, everything we see of him and his actions comes after their wedding, but Starling, your claim that he must have presented as a different kind of person before their is based on your view of Lucrecia as an abused person. Taking as true the premise that Lucrecia was an abused person, and also taking as true the premise that no blame can accrue to her for this, you reason backwards and conclude that it must follow that Hojo lured her into the relationship under false pretenses. But SE provides us with no canon evidence for this. This argument is a logical fallacy.

I think this is what I've been trying to say. My interpretation of Lucrecia is of someone that made what seemed like a good decision at the time (and wasn't necessarily tricked or forced into it) and then lived to regret it. And that's fine.

Anyway, Minato, sorry for not answering yesterday, I was tired.

Genesis was fine until Sephiroth, the most dangerous being on the Planet wounded him. That wouldn't disqualify a discription of having a very resilient body, though no one in canon gave him that. A dying body, made near indestructable that had zero effect on it still dying from an utterly mundane wound is a big difference.

Not Sephiroth. A broken standard issue sword held by Angeal that gave him a small cut on his shoulder. And there are plenty of other examples anyway. Maybe it wasn't the bullet wound that was killing him, but the side effect of the indestructability.

Hojo did not dispute it was her lab and why are we assuming he misinterpreted her experiment at all.

"You're wrong you're wrong you're wrong" seems fairly clear cut. Also the talk of tissue decay. And 'you were the reason I survived.'

And we didn't see how he initially ended up in that coffin. In the original game that might have been the case, when Lucretia left due to the Jenova cells left inside following the experiment. Dirge retconned all of that. She was doing well enough and still at work for years afterwards.

We don't really see exactly how it ended but I do not think it is as clearcut as Lucretia finishing her experiment, waking Vincent up, him being perfectly happy with the change even after transforming for a few dozen times, then her leaving and him of his own volition entombing himself out of colossal guilt.

How about Lucrecia finishing her experiment, having to leave before it's completed, leaving a copy of her records for him. Vincent never sees her again, never finds the records, and Hojo puts him in the coffin and explains that Lucrecia is dead due to the experiment (which he might even believe), and the guilt for not protecting her makes Vince decide to stay there.

Lucrecia still leaves due to the Jenova cells, she just stays long enough to make sure Vincent survives first. Something bad happens to her, Vincent goes to Hojo to demand answers, is shot, Lucrecia, struggling to fight whatever the cells are doing to her, stays long enough to make sure he's alive and then leaves like in the OG.

I think part of the problem is that people don't like Dirge as a game, so they refuse to give it the same benefit of the doubt that they give the OG.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Clement said:
Gast is a far more minor character, he's not even namedropped in Dirge and appears on screen only in his own home videos in an optional section in the OG. Lucrecia was extremely prominent in a subsequent game. The level of focus they get is likely linked to that. Gillian had basically the same role as Lucrecia in project G, but gets no hate because she only has one scene. Nobody is at all sympathetic to Hojo or Hollander. Or do you think this debate would be happening if Dirge didn't exist?

It seems unlikely that Hojo was ever more subtle. Gast had cut and run by the time he came to power, and he never displays any other kind of personality in flashbacks or not. Vincent did notice, but seems to have deferred to Lucrecia's judgement.
I suppose the blankness may have a role in it but it can just as easily sway from one to the other based on the few actions known. For example, fandom Kunsel tends to be really smart, turk-like gossip/intel gatherer with an undying loyalty to Zack. This is based on his rumour talk and his trying to find Zack after he went missing. Meanwhile, Luziere tends to be treated like a self-serving ass because he tried to turn Zack in for his own benefit. When a character gets little screentime, people latch onto that to create their base characterization. I suppose people may forget Gast's role in the jenova project because they're too focused on the icicle inn scenes. I think Gillian gets sympathy because people don't really pay attention to her role or because she successfully takes her own life, making it moot.

I actually agree with you here, I think. As I've said, I found Dirge Lucrecia sympathetic enough as it was. For the people that find Lucrecia unsympathetic, the only way to make her more sympathetic is to take decision out of her hands or play up how her situation was affecting her judgement. My Vincent example was to indicate that it wasn't necessarily quite as clearcut a horrible call on her part as it looked at first glance, so essentially I was agreeing with you, but somewhere along the line we got wires crossed.
I find that really unfortunate. It makes me want to write her some good characterization like so few seem to bother with. Still, sociopaths get a meh, he's crazy so what did you expect? Kind of reaction while Vincent is a playable character, very popular and very ship-able. Now that I think about it, die for our ship and pro-Vincent bias may be part of why she's so disliked along with the bad writing and just straight up lack of empathy on the part of some fans.

Re Vincent' lack of concern for Sephiroth, he never mentions him at all in Dirge or any of the OG, in spite of all his angst over the fate of Lucrecia, he never says anything like 'If I'd done something, maybe Sephiroth wouldn't have turned out the way he did.'
Dirge wasn't about Sephiroth, who wasn't relevant to the plot in any way. It's also probably the least well written compilation entry, so it might be an oversight as well. Personally, even with concern for Sephiroth, the fact remains that he knew and loved Lucrecia for years, while Sephiroth was just a baby and didn't have much to go on about beyond losing a child. Sephiroth turns into a psychopath that Vincent has to assist in killing, so dealing with him as a threat may have forced him to work through his Seph specific angst, leaving Lucrecia, who's still more or less the same.

It's not the fact of the depictions in itself that is cheap, but the fact that it can be used in a story not to explore the issue but as a shortcut, so that the author can say "Now I don't have to justify anything else this character does", that this can become a problematic trend. If you're going to use something like that, use it because you're going to deal with it properly, not because it makes a character more or less sympathetic.
I've seen fandoms do it so often I can't recall a canon instance of that. Then again, I may not have grown attached to stories where characterization was handled that way. There's flanderization making characters super mopey because of problems they used to be less mopey about but I figure that's a similar but different problem.

I'm not trying to deny that Lucrecia was abused. Just like I wouldn't try to deny that someone had been mauled after they walked into a tiger's cage, and I would also call 911/999. That doesn't alter the fact that Lucrecia must have known what Hojo's nature was like before entering into a relationship with him.

There is one thing Lucrecia must have known before getting into a relationship with Hojo, and that is that he was willing - nay, keen - to perform genetic experiments on unborn fetuses. She must have also have known that Jenova's cells were not human cells. She must have looked at them down a microscope. So she would additionally have known that Hojo was willing, nay eager, to create a chimera. Any man willing to abuse an unborn fetus in that way is, one would assume, a man lacking a moral compass. Unfortunately, Lucrecia was equally eager to create a human chimera. She knew there was a tiger in the cage and she got in anyway, because she was a tiger too. Maybe she assumed that, however willing he was to harm others in pursuit of his own ends, he wouldn't harm her, because he loved her or because they were two of a kind. Maybe she overestimated her power over him.

What she didn't anticipate was how motherhood would change her.
Don't confuse pointing out that we have no proof that Hojo was as overtly crazy back then as he is later as claiming that he couldn't have been. We don't know for sure so it can't be used to assert either view. Like I said, the assumption that he's always been that obvious comes from what happens after that. As such, you can't assume that Lucrecia had to have known what Hojo was like at that point. Plenty of abuse victims don't see the signs at that point.

As for Lucrecia's culpability, I'm not saying she doesn't have any. I was pointing out that your reasoning and use of culpability was how victim blaming occurred. Lucrecia still has to accept the consequences of her actions, but that doesn't mean would've done all that had she not been in an abusive relationship with Hojo. That's how psychological and emotional manipulations works; it distorts there person's perception of the situation and causes them to make decisions they wouldn't normally take. We don't really know what degree of culpability she has regarding the whole thing, though Vincent seems to be largely on her.

You're also assuming that moral standards about what was done during the Jenova project are the same in FF7's setting as they are for you, which may not be the case. That means that they could live in a society that has no problem with such things, even if you do. You can judge all you want about that should it be true but that means that it can't be used to prove that Hojo's inclinations had to be obvious. Out of curiosity, have you read any stories that portray genetic modification in a more positive light?There are plenty of sci-fi stories out there where it's a normal part of a relatively good society, so it's not like it has to be considered bad by everyone from story to story.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Random thoughts about Gast, Hojo and Lucrecia and the Law of Conservation of Detail in FFVVII...

One of the things that bothers me is how Hojo and Hollander (and Gast and Grimore I think...) are both referred to as professors, but we see no evidence of places they could be professors at, never mind places where they could get the education necessary for what they do. Which on the one hand makes sense, a university doesn't have a lot to do with the story of FFVII so why stick one in there. On the other hand... that's a huge chunk of backstory a lot of the major character are missing if you're trying to do character studies of them. Seriously, when I ask myself how Gast, Hojo, Hollander, Gillian, Lucrecia, Grimore, Shalua, Bugenhagen got their scientific education, I can say they got it anyway I want them to because canon doesn't say anything about it.

As for why where all the scientists learned how to be scientists is important, that would probably be the most realistic time period that other scientists could take a look at what Hojo was getting up to and figure out how unscientific what he's doing is (okay seriously, are peer review and academic journals even a thing in FFVII?). Except Hojo's scientific infallibility isn't brought up by anyone in Shin-Ra ever. Which kinda makes me wonder if the type of stuff Hojo gets up to (human experimentation, results based reasearch, etc.) has been the norm of FFVII's scientific community for a long time, especially if the ones backing higher education is Shin-Ra. Which would explain a lot. Like why nobody really has any problems with human experimentation until it's their kids who are getting experimented on or they're doing experiments with the wrong genes. It also would explain why there's so few "good" scientists in the game. If "reckless" science is what is taught as normal science then anyone trying to do a careful job is probably not going to be getting grants, employment etc. and is probably trying not to do any research that Shin-Ra would be interested it.

I'm in no way saying that doing human experimentation is right, especially it's iteration in FFVII. However, doing human experimentation when the rest of the scientific community has warned another scientist about why they shouldn't do it leaves a very different tone then when no other scientists cast doubt about someone from doing human experimentation because the scientific community sees it as business as usual. And given what Hollander and Gillian are up to at around the same time as Project S, it seems like none of Lucreica's scientific peers were trying to hold her back. Instead, we get her bodyguard doing that and I really can't fault Lucrecia for ignoring him.

Speaking of Gillian, she's a very interesting character to compare/contrast to Lucrecia as both of them played nearly the exact same part in their respective experiments (they had a kid with the lead scientist on their project and experimented on themselves/their kids). The main differences between them is that the experiment Gillian was a part of messed with her genes before she got pregnant while Lucrecia was pregnant with her son while both of them were being experimented on. The other main difference is that Gillian's kid was thought to be a failure while Lucrecia's was a success, which lead to Gillian getting to raise her kid, while Lucrecia's was taken from her. Regardless of their differences, both of them commit suicide when they find out how much their experiments messed up their kid (Gillian) or themselves (Lucrecia). Which kinda makes me wonder if would have even mattered if Lucrecia had gotten to keep Sephiroth; for all we know, the thing she was disappointed with was not experimenting on Sephiroth with Hojo (okay, the game implies that's not why she regrets not having Sephrioth, but still, I don't think that would be to out of character for her).

The most interesting difference I see between the two of them though, is that Lucrecia actually tries to fix something she did wrong, while Gillian never does. I can't help but think that it would have been way easier on Lucrecia for her to just go to the mako cave after Sephrioth is taken from her and forget about Vincent. Instead she tries to fix the mess Hojo made of him and takes all the data about what she did to fix him with her. Which I find odd unless she was expecting Vincent to find her in the middle of nowhere. (Which leads to some interesting AU fic ideas...) Given that we really don't see any of the other scientist try to fix their mistakes (as opposed to being annoyed that those mistakes exist or running away from them), I do have to give Lucreica some credit/benefit of the doubt here. To not do otherwise would be to say that characters can't learn lessons even if they've done horrible stuff in the past.

Other stuf...

Do all the scientists not believe in literal lab rats or something? 'Cause seriously, that has the potential to alert them to what a bunch of the Jenova genes could do in a fraction of the human lifespan. On the other hand... it's probably a good thing Hojo isn't that competent. If he was, he'd have probably narrowed down what Jenova cells could do and gotten the whole reunion theory up and running long before anyone could do anything about it...

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Not Sephiroth. A broken standard issue sword held by Angeal that gave him a small cut on his shoulder. And there are plenty of other examples anyway. Maybe it wasn't the bullet wound that was killing him, but the side effect of the indestructability.

"You're wrong you're wrong you're wrong" seems fairly clear cut. Also the talk of tissue decay. And 'you were the reason I survived.'

Except that she did turn him into Chaos. And Hojo, following the experiment she demonstrated with Vincent created Omega. Her denials was at least partially insincere. She also says she doesn't care anymore, even though we know she'd go work on it even more after this conversation. She can do a 180 flip from "saving" Vincent to trying to see Sephiroth, why is it hard to believe to it worked the other way around.

How about Lucrecia finishing her experiment, having to leave before it's completed, leaving a copy of her records for him. Vincent never sees her again, never finds the records, and Hojo puts him in the coffin and explains that Lucrecia is dead due to the experiment (which he might even believe), and the guilt for not protecting her makes Vince decide to stay there.

Lucrecia still leaves due to the Jenova cells, she just stays long enough to make sure Vincent survives first. Something bad happens to her, Vincent goes to Hojo to demand answers, is shot, Lucrecia, struggling to fight whatever the cells are doing to her, stays long enough to make sure he's alive and then leaves like in the OG.

I think part of the problem is that people don't like Dirge as a game, so they refuse to give it the same benefit of the doubt that they give the OG.

This isn't really Dirge's fault solely. Pretty sure we get confirmation of Vincent's age in lots of places and having him be in the coffin for 23 years before FFVII (AKA how old Zack is, who HAS to be at least a bit younger then Sephiroth and Angeal) means the events of his entombing didn't happen in the wake of Sephiroths birth as suggested in the OG, but sprung up randomly much later. Dirge gets the job of portraying how and I don't think it gets there.

Also it doesn't acknowledge Gast's existence as leading scientist or that Hojo didn't look that old when he married Lucretia all those years ago, because character models are hard, by extention making Lucretia's choices look even weirder.

As for your version of what happened, having Vincent take instruction from Hojo after the guy shot him makes him look pretty pathetic in my mind.

Though of course that was Dirge's intent, I mean they threw in Lucretia being involved with his dad just bust his balls even more.

Clement said:
Gillian had basically the same role as Lucrecia in project G, but gets no hate because she only has one scene. Nobody is at all sympathetic to Hojo or Hollander. Or do you think this debate would be happening if Dirge didn't exist?

Starling said:
I think Gillian gets sympathy because people don't really pay attention to her role or because she successfully takes her own life, making it moot.

Gillian said:
Speaking of Gillian, she's a very interesting character to compare/contrast to Lucrecia as both of them played nearly the exact same part in their respective experiments (they had a kid with the lead scientist on their project and experimented on themselves/their kids). The main differences between them is that the experiment Gillian was a part of messed with her genes before she got pregnant while Lucrecia was pregnant with her son while both of them were being experimented on. The other main difference is that Gillian's kid was thought to be a failure while Lucrecia's was a success, which lead to Gillian getting to raise her kid, while Lucrecia's was taken from her. Regardless of their differences, both of them commit suicide when they find out how much their experiments messed up their kid (Gillian) or themselves (Lucrecia). Which kinda makes me wonder if would have even mattered if Lucrecia had gotten to keep Sephiroth; for all we know, the thing she was disappointed with was not experimenting on Sephiroth with Hojo (okay, the game implies that's not why she regrets not having Sephrioth, but still, I don't think that would be to out of character for her).

The most interesting difference I see between the two of them though, is that Lucrecia actually tries to fix something she did wrong, while Gillian never does. I can't help but think that it would have been way easier on Lucrecia for her to just go to the mako cave after Sephrioth is taken from her and forget about Vincent. Instead she tries to fix the mess Hojo made of him and takes all the data about what she did to fix him with her. Which I find odd unless she was expecting Vincent to find her in the middle of nowhere. (Which leads to some interesting AU fic ideas...) Given that we really don't see any of the other scientist try to fix their mistakes (as opposed to being annoyed that those mistakes exist or running away from them), I do have to give Lucreica some credit/benefit of the doubt here. To not do otherwise would be to say that characters can't learn lessons even if they've done horrible stuff in the past.

Genesis was the subject of Project G, not Angeal, Gillian just got pregnant during the experiment. There's little reason to think she had any ambition to experiment on her own child other then the assumption she is like Lucretia, who could not conceive of a problem with that. And Genesis was considered a normal child, both he and Angeal were allowed to raise normally. Which Gillian did. And she left Hollander and married someone that clearly had a good moral compass. And Gillian nevertheless takes her own life over what they did to Angeal and Genesis, Lucretia just kinda succumbed to her own physical problems. Yeah, Gillian generally gets the benefit of the doubt more then Lucretia, that makes sense to me.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Genesis was the subject of Project G, not Angeal, Gillian just got pregnant during the experiment. There's little reason to think she had any ambition to experiment on her own child other then the assumption she is like Lucretia, who could not conceive of a problem with that. And Genesis was considered a normal child, both he and Angeal were allowed to raise normally. Which Gillian did. And she left Hollander and married someone that clearly had a good moral compass. And Gillian nevertheless takes her own life over what they did to Angeal and Genesis, Lucretia just kinda succumbed to her own physical problems. Yeah, Gillian generally gets the benefit of the doubt more then Lucretia, that makes sense to me.

What's a bit confusing on this though, was the like what Lucrecia did, Gillian implanted herself with Jenova cells, but unlike with Lucrecia who couldn't even kill herself and could only seal herself in crystal, Gillian had successfully committed suicide yet she had the Jenova cells implanted herself and in Angeal's womb.

Unless the Planet is the one that's refusing to allow Lucrecia to die and join the Lifestream.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato

What's a bit confusing on this though, was the like what Lucrecia did, Gillian implanted herself with Jenova cells, but unlike with Lucrecia who couldn't even kill herself and could only seal herself in crystal, Gillian had successfully committed suicide yet she had the Jenova cells implanted herself and in Angeal's womb.

Unless the Planet is the one that's refusing to allow Lucrecia to die and join the Lifestream.

Gillian just had Jenova cells injected into, she's basically a not Mako powered SOLDIER, Lucretia has those S-cell leftovers from what developed inside Sephiroth. So it's really Cloud who should be unable to commit suicide.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Yeah, but Cloud didn't choose to be injected but he did suffer Mako Poisoning. Then again, Zack was implanted with Jenova cells and S-Cells too, and yet Zack still got killed, and I'm speaking for both the OG, AC(ACC) and CC standards.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Yeah, but Cloud didn't choose to be injected but he did suffer Mako Poisoning. Then again, Zack was implanted with Jenova cells and S-Cells too, and yet Zack still got killed, and I'm speaking for both the OG, AC(ACC) and CC standards.

Well I don't think Lucretia became invincible, I think the Jenova cells won't allow her to selfterminate. The experiment had no effect on Zack, Cloud has his head messed up by it.

Last edited:

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Random thoughts about Gast, Hojo and Lucrecia and the Law of Conservation of Detail in FFVVII...

One of the things that bothers me is how Hojo and Hollander (and Gast and Grimore I think...) are both referred to as professors, but we see no evidence of places they could be professors at, never mind places where they could get the education necessary for what they do. Which on the one hand makes sense, a university doesn't have a lot to do with the story of FFVII so why stick one in there. On the other hand... that's a huge chunk of backstory a lot of the major character are missing if you're trying to do character studies of them. Seriously, when I ask myself how Gast, Hojo, Hollander, Gillian, Lucrecia, Grimore, Shalua, Bugenhagen got their scientific education, I can say they got it anyway I want them to because canon doesn't say anything about it.

As for why where all the scientists learned how to be scientists is important, that would probably be the most realistic time period that other scientists could take a look at what Hojo was getting up to and figure out how unscientific what he's doing is (okay seriously, are peer review and academic journals even a thing in FFVII?). Except Hojo's scientific infallibility isn't brought up by anyone in Shin-Ra ever. Which kinda makes me wonder if the type of stuff Hojo gets up to (human experimentation, results based reasearch, etc.) has been the norm of FFVII's scientific community for a long time, especially if the ones backing higher education is Shin-Ra. Which would explain a lot. Like why nobody really has any problems with human experimentation until it's their kids who are getting experimented on or they're doing experiments with the wrong genes. It also would explain why there's so few "good" scientists in the game. If "reckless" science is what is taught as normal science then anyone trying to do a careful job is probably not going to be getting grants, employment etc. and is probably trying not to do any research that Shin-Ra would be interested it.

I'm in no way saying that doing human experimentation is right, especially it's iteration in FFVII. However, doing human experimentation when the rest of the scientific community has warned another scientist about why they shouldn't do it leaves a very different tone then when no other scientists cast doubt about someone from doing human experimentation because the scientific community sees it as business as usual. And given what Hollander and Gillian are up to at around the same time as Project S, it seems like none of Lucreica's scientific peers were trying to hold her back. Instead, we get her bodyguard doing that and I really can't fault Lucrecia for ignoring him.

Other stuf...

Do all the scientists not believe in literal lab rats or something? 'Cause seriously, that has the potential to alert them to what a bunch of the Jenova genes could do in a fraction of the human lifespan. On the other hand... it's probably a good thing Hojo isn't that competent. If he was, he'd have probably narrowed down what Jenova cells could do and gotten the whole reunion theory up and running long before anyone could do anything about it...
A lot of that is how I like to look at it too, though not all. If Shinra's in charge of scientific education, it'd certainly explain it as well. Even Bugenhagen used to be a Shinra scientist, so the only sciency people we know without a canon history working for Shinra are Fuhito and Shalua. Shalua pretty much had anti-shinra sentiment from a very young age and seems to mostly deal in engineering rather than biology, so she'd have reason not to agree with whatever's the popular opinion regarding experimental methods. IRL, it took a while before something of a code of conduct was established regarding experiments involving humans and still we have people who skirt around it. Another issue is that a lot of things we know now was from data collected during unethical experiments. It's very much a conflict between information gathering and the rights of the person being tested. I can see how another society could push those ethical boundaries, seeing as it's already happened around the world. Fiction can very much be both a cautionary tale of going about corruption or taking something past boundaries that shouldn't be crossed, as well as exploring all the progress and innovation that can result from ethical use of scientific discoveries, including genetic engineering. There will always be disagreement on where some of the boundaries are and why they exist, so it's not a black and white issue.

We don't actually see what either of them used in their suicide attempts. It could be that whatever Lucrecia used was negated by Jenova cells while Gillian used something else. It could also be that the variation in how Jenova cells affect different people is why, since we actually see variation in that regard. THat variation between how Lucrecia and Gillian are altered by the Jenova cells in their bodies would explain the variation in how Sephiroth and Angeal turned out, on top of whether the alteration was before or during pregnancy.

Regarding the issue of suicide vs dying, not being able to kill yourself doesn't necessarily mean you're indestructible. Jenova cells could easily have some kind of self preservation function that prevents that. Some people may also just not be able to bring themselves to do it out of natural self preservation no matter how much they want to, hence assisted suicide.

Don't confuse pointing out that we have no proof that Hojo was as overtly crazy back then as he is later as claiming that he couldn't have been. We don't know for sure so it can't be used to assert either view.

Pretty sure I'm not confusing them. Pretty sure that's exactly what I've been saying.

Like I said, the assumption that he's always been that obvious comes from what happens after that. As such, you can't assume that Lucrecia had to have known what Hojo was like at that point. Plenty of abuse victims don't see the signs at that point.

As for Lucrecia's culpability, I'm not saying she doesn't have any. I was pointing out that your reasoning and use of culpability was how victim blaming occurred.

That is true. On the other hand, the cry of "victim blaming" has a tendency to shut down all discussion, and to exculpate the woman in the picture (because it's nearly always a woman) from taking any responsbility for her own choices and actions. I'm not convinced that Lucrecia is a victim in this scenario, is what I'm saying. I'm also not extrapolating from her story to all stories of abused women everywhere. She is not their representative.

Lucrecia still has to accept the consequences of her actions, but that doesn't mean would've done all that had she not been in an abusive relationship with Hojo. That's how psychological and emotional manipulations works; it distorts there person's perception of the situation and causes them to make decisions they wouldn't normally take. We don't really know what degree of culpability she has regarding the whole thing, though Vincent seems to be largely on her.

So she has to accept responsibility for all her actions except her decision to get into a physical, marital relationship with Hojo?

You're also assuming that moral standards about what was done during the Jenova project are the same in FF7's setting as they are for you, which may not be the case. That means that they could live in a society that has no problem with such things, even if you do. You can judge all you want about that should it be true but that means that it can't be used to prove that Hojo's inclinations had to be obvious. Out of curiosity, have you read any stories that portray genetic modification in a more positive light?There are plenty of sci-fi stories out there where it's a normal part of a relatively good society, so it's not like it has to be considered bad by everyone from story to story.

Ah, come on, Starling. The world of FFVII is not a real world. It seems pretty obvious to me, and I think to most people who play it, that any actions which seem morally unacceptable to us are actually supposed to be considered morally unacceptable in their world as well. Blowing up innocent people in terrorist attacks, for instance: Tifa and Barret come to accept their culpability in this regard. Sucking the soul of the planet dry in order to make money: this is not only morally wrong but environmentally short-sighted.

If morality that was unacceptable in our world was totally OK in theirs, then how could their story have any meaning or significance for us?

I think it is a pretty straightforward message in this game that Hojo and Lucrecia should not have implanted alien genetic material into a human fetus. Not only was it morally reprehensible, but it led to disaster for the entire human race. They thought they knew what they were working with, but they were wrong.

They're like Doctor Mengele and his assistants, who saw no problem experimenting on Jewish children in all sorts of cruel ways. Dr Mengele didn't think what he was doing was wrong. It was for the betterment of the human race. Hojo and Lucrecia didn't think what they were doing was wrong. It was for the betterment of the human race. That doesn't make it right and it certainly doesn't mean we are supposed to think it was right, and it doesn't mean that everybody else in their world would have thought it was A-OK. The whole point of the Shinra Corp is that it has no morals at all.

I know you don't mean to come off as patronising, but you really are. I'm not an idiot and I have read the occasional novel.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I think it is a pretty straightforward message in this game that Hojo and Lucrecia should not have implanted alien genetic material into a human fetus. Not only was it morally reprehensible, but it led to disaster for the entire human race. They thought they knew what they were working with, but they were wrong.

It was at the time thought to be an Ancient, a predecessor/distant relative on mankind.

I already addressed that point. They thought it was an Ancient but they didn't know that Ancient = human. These people were scientists and, as I said before, they must have looked down a microscope at Jenova's cells. They must have been able to see that her cells were not like human cells.

Apart from anything else, something must have eventually tipped both Hojo and Gast off to the fact that this creature was neither human nor an Ancient.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I already addressed that point. They thought it was an Ancient but they didn't know that Ancient = human. These people were scientists and, as I said before, they must have looked down a microscope at Jenova's cells. They must have been able to see that her cells were not like human cells.

Apart from anything else, something must have eventually tipped both Hojo and Gast off to the fact that this creature was neither human nor an Ancient.

Jenova can and was copying the Ancients who were relatives of humans. That might have still been reflected on cellular level. And Lucretia's pregnancy took place long before Ifalna was in the picture probably, which led to them realising the depth of their f*ck-up.

Ok, I'm no biologist but I don't really see how a cell can disguise its own function. I mean, if Jenova can make itself look like something else, there must be the wherewithal in its cells to do that, which wouldn't be in human cells. Maybe someone who knows more than me about this could advise?

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I still think they were fucking morons. I mean, they find a vaguely humanoid freakish thing in the North pole (not saying knowlespole because that is stupid) and then they're like 'Oh this must be an ancient!'

Based on what? I mean there is all sorts of freaky creatures in the FFVII universe. What if they'd found the remains of a Snow or something? Would they have thought the same?

I mean obviously this is something that the writers didn't elaborate on, but I've always thought it was flimsy.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
The problem is that biology, chemistry and metaphysics intersect a lot in the FFVII world. What Jenova is doing with her copying ability is left up to the individual player's headcanon for the most part.

Apparently Jenova has DNA and she can make her DNA look/behave like the DNA of other livening beings. We have no idea how her copying works though, just that it somehow does. There is a pretty good argument for her having a lot more energy at one point as she's all but brain-dead by the time Gast finds her. So I could see her being stuck in the last form she copied, which most likely is that of an Ancient.

On the other hand... the very fact that Jenova has DNA is something that she could have copied to fit in better. The only thing we know for certain about Jenova is that she devours entities like the Planet. Which argues that she's much more of a mephaphysical being then a physical one. The Lifestream itself is nothing more then literal life energy that somehow makes more of itself when parts of it take on physical form after all. In some ways, Jenova is simply being forced to interact with The Lifestream on the physical plane when Hojo sticks her genes into humans.

The kicker of course is that all of this is head cannon. There's nothing definitive about what is actually going on between Jenova and living beings. Instead there's a lot of conjecture from sources that are mistaken about a lot of what is going on which leaves most of it open to interpretation.

She can make herself look like other living beings, but can her cells make themselves look like other cells? Surely if her DNA looked identical to that of another living being, she would actually be that other living being instead of merely mimicking it. If nothing else, there has to be something in her DNA that gives her those mimetic properties, which human beings wouldn't have.

It used to be my headcanon that she got stuck in the last form she copied, but Aerith is an Ancient and she doesn't (I presume) have eye-boobs. Or maybe she does. And the wing thing presumably comes from Jenova's DNA.

But yeah, FFVII breaks the laws of physics and chemistry so why not break the laws of biology as well?

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Don't confuse pointing out that we have no proof that Hojo was as overtly crazy back then as he is later as claiming that he couldn't have been. We don't know for sure so it can't be used to assert either view.

Pretty sure I'm not confusing them. Pretty sure that's exactly what I've been saying.

Like I said, the assumption that he's always been that obvious comes from what happens after that. As such, you can't assume that Lucrecia had to have known what Hojo was like at that point. Plenty of abuse victims don't see the signs at that point.

As for Lucrecia's culpability, I'm not saying she doesn't have any. I was pointing out that your reasoning and use of culpability was how victim blaming occurred.

That is true. On the other hand, the cry of "victim blaming" has a tendency to shut down all discussion, and to exculpate the woman in the picture (because it's nearly always a woman) from taking any responsbility for her own choices and actions. I'm not convinced that Lucrecia is a victim in this scenario, is what I'm saying. I'm also not extrapolating from her story to all stories of abused women everywhere. She is not their representative.

Lucrecia still has to accept the consequences of her actions, but that doesn't mean would've done all that had she not been in an abusive relationship with Hojo. That's how psychological and emotional manipulations works; it distorts there person's perception of the situation and causes them to make decisions they wouldn't normally take. We don't really know what degree of culpability she has regarding the whole thing, though Vincent seems to be largely on her.

So she has to accept responsibility for all her actions except her decision to get into a physical, marital relationship with Hojo?
She still has to deal with the consequences of her actions whether it's her fault or not and regardless of moral standards. That's not the same thing as claiming it's her fault she was led to believe Hojo cared about her in ant capacity or that we should ignore that emotional and mental abuse were a factor, so part of what she did was due to being manipulated into it. We can't really measure what was something she would do regardless and what she only did because of that, so we might as well just agree on he having to deal with the consequences even if we don't agree on the cause and other factors. Victim blaming comes into play when it's treated as someone's fault for not seeing the signs of an abusive relationship before or during it, as well as for not realizing there's a way out or how to do that. Human perception is fallible and manipulation can further impede one's ability to take notice of things they normally would, not to mention it's easier to see things after you know it's already there.

Ah, come on, Starling. The world of FFVII is not a real world. It seems pretty obvious to me, and I think to most people who play it, that any actions which seem morally unacceptable to us are actually supposed to be considered morally unacceptable in their world as well. Blowing up innocent people in terrorist attacks, for instance: Tifa and Barret come to accept their culpability in this regard. Sucking the soul of the planet dry in order to make money: this is not only morally wrong but environmentally short-sighted.

If morality that was unacceptable in our world was totally OK in theirs, then how could their story have any meaning or significance for us?
Values dissonance happens in real life. In some parts of the world, breasts aren't sexualized and it's the norm to walk around topless. Here, I'm pretty sure you'd get arrested for public nudity and indecency. Different countries have different age requirements for the same thing, since we don't all agree on the age of majority. In fiction, sometimes the whole point is to present a society with different values, so we can compare and contrast those values with our own or that of others. Values aren't necessarily homogeneous within the fictional work just as we don't all have the same values even if we live in the same society. You can see an excellent example of that in fiction if you've played Dragon Age or Elder Scrolls, both of which are RPGs with lots of worldbuilding. Even if all the scientists are fine with human experiments and live in a world where that's socially accepted, it doesn't mean all the characters within that setting agree or that they all share the same views and reasoning despite agreement. It also doesn't mean they all share the same values on others things. That's perfectly in line with real life.

What makes the protagonists more sympathetic despite their actions is influenced by their being the protagonists. We see their lives, their struggles, see them as people rather than just terrorists. We see their motivations for doing those actions and understand why they thought such a thing was worth doing, even if terrorism still costs innocent lives. There's often good and bad on both sides of a conflict, but it's harder to see that in the antagonist, since you're sharing the perspective of the people opposing them. Tifa and Barret explicitly feel guilt about their actions and Cait called it out, pointing out his perspective as a Shinra employee. Reeve's probably been an accomplice to a number of things himself during his time in Shinra but he's not defined by it either. In any case, the difference between the terrorism and the genetic experiments is that the terrorism is treated as morally unacceptable within the setting, whereas the genetic experiment is given no indication of being treated as such until it's about Jenova. Of course using the genes of an alien parasite that behaves like a virus is a bad thing. If it was actually cetra genes as originally thought and the test subjects weren't forced to live in a controlled environment, who knows if anyone would've taken issue with it.

They're like Doctor Mengele and his assistants, who saw no problem experimenting on Jewish children in all sorts of cruel ways. Dr Mengele didn't think what he was doing was wrong. It was for the betterment of the human race. Hojo and Lucrecia didn't think what they were doing was wrong. It was for the betterment of the human race. That doesn't make it right and it certainly doesn't mean we are supposed to think it was right, and it doesn't mean that everybody else in their world would have thought it was A-OK. The whole point of the Shinra Corp is that it has no morals at all.
We're in agreement about the whole Jenova cells thing, though you have to keep in mind that they thought it was a cetra and that cetra genes wouldn't have caused those problems. They made an error with the identification for possibly understandable reasons. It actually just occurred to me that when viewing it as an attempt to bring back an extinct species, they could've tried what was discussed about with mammoths and had a volunteer consent to in vitro fertilization where the cetra genes are used from point of conception. That probably would've made it less morally problematic, though you probably still wouldn't like it. That said, with Jenova that would've probably been worse than altering the genes of a foetus. In any case, the moral issue was more about the scientists in the setting possibly living in a place where none of their peers see's a problem with genetic engineering applied to humans and how that means it can't be used to prove that Lucrecia should've known Hojo was crazy from the start.

I know you don't mean to come off as patronising, but you really are. I'm not an idiot and I have read the occasional novel.
People asked me that kind of question for genuine curiosity and I didn't take issue with it. I figured you wouldn't either. I figured you did but asked because I don't know for sure, nor do I know what kinds of depictions they are and what you think about them. You don't have to if you don't want to, but I figured it'd be worth talking about given the topic.

They know Ifalna and Aerith are cetra, so whether they know or not depends on when they found out about Ifalna and if she said anything about it. There's definitely an issue with Jenova's appearance vs Ifalna's but I don't know if that's a plothole or if the scientists were supposed to think the two were the same based on appearance, though I recall the party rolling with Jenova and Sephiroth as cetra until Vincent corrected them. Aerith and Nanaki may or may not have had a good look at Jenova's body but Cloud, Tifa and Barret all did. Genetic similarities were probably present regardless.

Regarding Jenova's capacity for shapeshifting, shapeshifting in general violates physics with stuff like square/cube law and conservation of mass, so there's no way to give a 100% scientifically accurate explanation about how that could work in real life. I'm pretty sure we would've made use of that by now if science found a way to make it work. In the same way, the lifestream creating more of itself in the manner described is very much metaphysics, since energy can't make more energy, just change form. Since genetics are a component and Jenova is described as a virus, the closest real life example of that would be retroviruses, who insert themselves into the DNA sequence of another organism's cells, which multiply. That would mean Jenova cells would insert themselves into the host cells and integrate themselves in a manner that would only be noticeable once they assert their traits. Jenova is more than a virus though, unless the body we see is just another host.

Last edited:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
She can make herself look like other living beings, but can her cells make themselves look like other cells? Surely if her DNA looked identical to that of another living being, she would actually be that other living being instead of merely mimicking it. If nothing else, there has to be something in her DNA that gives her those mimetic properties, which human beings wouldn't have.

It used to be my headcanon that she got stuck in the last form she copied, but Aerith is an Ancient and she doesn't (I presume) have eye-boobs. Or maybe she does. And the wing thing presumably comes from Jenova's DNA.

But yeah, FFVII breaks the laws of physics and chemistry so why not break the laws of biology as well?

Look at it another way, She has illusiory powers. She can make the world see Sephiroth when actually it's a big fleshy, tentacle monster, it can make Hojo and Gast see the things on their microscopes they were expecting to see, rather then alien stuff.

Top Bottom