Lucrecia's characterization and depiction

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Random thoughts about Gast, Hojo and Lucrecia and the Law of Conservation of Detail in FFVVII...

One of the things that bothers me is how Hojo and Hollander (and Gast and Grimore I think...) are both referred to as professors, but we see no evidence of places they could be professors at, never mind places where they could get the education necessary for what they do. Which on the one hand makes sense, a university doesn't have a lot to do with the story of FFVII so why stick one in there. On the other hand... that's a huge chunk of backstory a lot of the major character are missing if you're trying to do character studies of them. Seriously, when I ask myself how Gast, Hojo, Hollander, Gillian, Lucrecia, Grimore, Shalua, Bugenhagen got their scientific education, I can say they got it anyway I want them to because canon doesn't say anything about it.

As for why where all the scientists learned how to be scientists is important, that would probably be the most realistic time period that other scientists could take a look at what Hojo was getting up to and figure out how unscientific what he's doing is (okay seriously, are peer review and academic journals even a thing in FFVII?). Except Hojo's scientific infallibility isn't brought up by anyone in Shin-Ra ever. Which kinda makes me wonder if the type of stuff Hojo gets up to (human experimentation, results based reasearch, etc.) has been the norm of FFVII's scientific community for a long time, especially if the ones backing higher education is Shin-Ra. Which would explain a lot. Like why nobody really has any problems with human experimentation until it's their kids who are getting experimented on or they're doing experiments with the wrong genes. It also would explain why there's so few "good" scientists in the game. If "reckless" science is what is taught as normal science then anyone trying to do a careful job is probably not going to be getting grants, employment etc. and is probably trying not to do any research that Shin-Ra would be interested it.

I'm in no way saying that doing human experimentation is right, especially it's iteration in FFVII. However, doing human experimentation when the rest of the scientific community has warned another scientist about why they shouldn't do it leaves a very different tone then when no other scientists cast doubt about someone from doing human experimentation because the scientific community sees it as business as usual. And given what Hollander and Gillian are up to at around the same time as Project S, it seems like none of Lucreica's scientific peers were trying to hold her back. Instead, we get her bodyguard doing that and I really can't fault Lucrecia for ignoring him.
Where these scientists get their qualifications is indeed a great question. All we ever hear of the scientific community in that world is in relation to Shin-Ra as the establishment --

Shalua: "Crescent. Shinra class A scientist specializing in biotechnology. In her research thesis, 'The Planet's Pulse,' she refers to Chaos as one of the sentient xenoforms residing among us. However, the theories that she presented in her work were so abstract and complex... ... On top of being obscure, it was never even submitted to the Shinra database. All I know is what I saw while going through the company's archives."

Lucrecia: "All those people at Shinra who laughed at my thesis... I have to prove them wrong!"

In any case, the difference between the terrorism and the genetic experiments is that the terrorism is treated as morally unacceptable within the setting, whereas the genetic experiment is given no indication of being treated as such until it's about Jenova. Of course using the genes of an alien parasite that behaves like a virus is a bad thing. If it was actually cetra genes as originally thought and the test subjects weren't forced to live in a controlled environment, who knows if anyone would've taken issue with it.
That is one of the more intriguing things to ponder about that setting and its scientific ethics. Would it have been seen as a triumph by basically anyone had Sephiroth come out an actual Cetra with no issues relating to a Lovecraftian terror?

Look at it another way, She has illusiory powers. She can make the world see Sephiroth when actually it's a big fleshy, tentacle monster, it can make Hojo and Gast see the things on their microscopes they were expecting to see, rather then alien stuff.
That's an interesting thought. Individual clusters of Jenova cells can read minds and seemingly react instinctively to what they find there, as when the cells within Cloud read Tifa's mind while he was suffering from mako poisoning.

Starling, if you're arguing that we have reason to believe that everyone in the FFVII universe thought that what was done to Cloud, Zack, Sephiroth, Angeal and Genesis, etc.., was morally sound, then I really don't know what to say - except, how could we feel any affinity with people from a society like that?

I really don't believe the authors of this game intended us to think that genetic experimentation was a Good Thing, or even that the people of the world thought it was a Good Thing (aside from Shinra and the Shinra scientists, whose morality, as we have already established, is questionable to say the least).

In fact, the shocking unacceptability of such experimentation lies at the core of the crisis around which the entire game is built. If everyone in their world thought genetic experimentation mixing human and non-human life forms was totally cool and acceptable, then why would Sephiroth go off his rocker when he discovered he wasn't 100% human? Why would he have a problem with that, if he'd grown up in a world where nobody had a problem with that?

Sephiroth
"You saw it! All of them.... were humans...."

Cloud
"Human!? No way!"

(Sephiroth stops and turns towards Cloud, his sword still drawn.)

Sephiroth
"....I've always felt since I was small..."
"That I was different from the others. Special, in some way."
"But... not like this...."

The human/monster dichotomy, and the horror evoked by humans who have been turned into monsters, is a central theme of this game. And if injecting a human fetus with the DNA of an alien isn't turning it into a monster, then I don't know what is.

I'm not quite sure how we got to the point where we're suggesting that a PG game is promoting the idea that it's morally fine to create human-alien hybrids. I think it's because I said that Lucrecia knew that Hojo's morality was suspect because he was prepared to create such a hybrid, and that she was ok with it because her morality was suspect too. They were as bad as each other: ambitious, amoral scientists. You seem to be trying to suggest that the ONLY thing he did wrong, whether in their world or ours, was to abuse her.

PS It's a neat idea that Jenova's cells tricked the scientists into thinking they were human cells, as part of the moribund Jenova's ongoing scheme to reproduce herself and take over the world; or maybe it was just instinct. It certainly lets Lucrecia off the hook. It also lets Hojo and Gast off the hook. (Although I personally still think that tampering with the genes of an unborn baby without its consent and for purely commercial reasons is morally unacceptable).

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Starling, if you're arguing that we have reason to believe that everyone in the FFVII universe thought that what was done to Cloud, Zack, Sephiroth, Angeal and Genesis, etc.., was morally sound, then I really don't know what to say - except, how could we feel any affinity with people from a society like that?

I really don't believe the authors of this game intended us to think that genetic experimentation was a Good Thing, or even that the people of the world thought it was a Good Thing (aside from Shinra and the Shinra scientists, whose morality, as we have already established, is questionable to say the least).

In fact, the shocking unacceptability of such experimentation lies at the core of the crisis around which the entire game is built. If everyone in their world thought genetic experimentation mixing human and non-human life forms was totally cool and acceptable, then why would Sephiroth go off his rocker when he discovered he wasn't 100% human? Why would he have a problem with that, if he'd grown up in a world where nobody had a problem with that?

Sephiroth

Cloud
"Human!? No way!"

Sephiroth

The human/monster dichotomy, and the horror evoked by humans who have been turned into monsters, is a central theme of this game. And if injecting a human fetus with the DNA of an alien isn't turning it into a monster, then I don't know what is.

I'm not quite sure how we got to the point where we're suggesting that a PG game is promoting the idea that it's morally fine to create human-alien hybrids. I think it's because I said that Lucrecia knew that Hojo's morality was suspect because he was prepared to create such a hybrid, and that she was ok with it because her morality was suspect too. They were as bad as each other: ambitious, amoral scientists. You seem to be trying to suggest that the ONLY thing he did wrong, whether in their world or ours, was to abuse her.

PS It's a neat idea that Jenova's cells tricked the scientists into thinking they were human cells, as part of the moribund Jenova's ongoing scheme to reproduce herself and take over the world; or maybe it was just instinct. It certainly lets Lucrecia off the hook. It also lets Hojo and Gast off the hook. (Although I personally still think that tampering with the genes of an unborn baby without its consent and for purely commercial reasons is morally unacceptable).

I agree that the genetic tampering morally repulsive, but they thought Jenova was an Ancient at the time, that it was secretly an alien doesn't enter into it, from a moral standpoint. They still felt it would implant knowledge of the Promised Land into a baby's mind so the procedure was intended to very invasive.

I never said they knew Jenova was an alien. I said they knew it was not human. Their planet is full of humanoid creatures (eg goblins) At that stage of the game, as someone else pointed out, they didn't really know what Cetras were or what they looked like, and if they found Jenova and thought it was a Cetra then it logically follows that they didn't think Cetras were human (although, in fact, they are/were).

Unless, as hypothesised above, the Jenova cells tricked them into thinking they were seeing human cells. This would put a somewhat better complexion on their actions, since it would mean they weren't deliberately trying to create a chimera. They're still doing genetic experiments on babies for their own selfish reasons, though.

Hojo may not have realised Jenova was an alien, or even not-human, until after he captured Ifalna. Gast may have realised it before he met Ifalna, or she may have been the one to tell him.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Not everyone, mostly the scientific community. That anti-shinra people or those who personally see the issues that came of it before even finding out the cause recognize the issue is a given, as well as those realizing what Jenova really is who were fine with it before that. Only Hojo and Hollander seem indifferent about what Jenova actually is and does regarding morals, maybe Fuhito if he knows about that. There'se also the people behind Deepground, who may or may not fully grasp the extent of what they're allowing obviously don't care. I'd hope science within the setting got a serious overhaul after Shinra wasn't around anymore and the whole making amends to what was done outlook everyone has post-OG would mean morals on most things would be reconsidered based on what happened. Prior to that point though, if Shinra's in charge of most scientific research the way they're in charge of most of the world, it's very likely genetic engineering isn't really frowned upon in general. Remember, this is about when they thought Jenova was a cetra and were trying to bring them back. Hojo knew full well what Jenova was by the time he experimented on Cloud and Zack. Sephiroth, Angeal and Genesis were conceived when they thought they were working with cetra genes. What happened to them is because that wasn't the case, not that Hojo and Hollander care about that. In fact, they seem pleased about it, which is what makes them awful.

Having a world that start out ok with it and having it end with people deciding that's not ok fits just fine with saying it's bad. In any case, genetic engineering itself isn't bad, it's what it was used for that's the problem.

Sephiroth

Cloud
"Human!? No way!"

Sephiroth

Because he spent his whole life thinking that not human = monster, all the monsters he's seen are just mindless beasts that destroy things that need to be put down and the cognitive dissonance from reconciling that with his identity was too much for him. It's mostly about how attached we are to whatever validates us as a person and losing that has dire consequences. It's why characters like Terra, who were born not quite human by entirely natural means can struggle with that too. Sephiroth chose to cope by getting pissed at all the humans for letting cetra die out and got attached to Jenova because he wanted to know his mother all that time and finally had one. There's also how Jenova cells appear to include a predisposition to insanity of some kind, which certainly didn't help. Angeal and Genesis chose to cope with it by wrecking things too, in Genesis' case to takke out anger at the whole dying because Hollander screwed up and Shinra doesn't care about the consequences thing. If they turned out to be human cetra hybrids without any Jenova stuff like the wings and degradation, they wouldn't have as much to be made about. A big issue in this whole thing is that Shinra didn't take responsibility for any problem that resulted from what they did. Not until it fell apart.

There's a difference between approving of an experiment to bring back an extinct species and approving of an experiment that involves a parasitic alien that consumes worlds. They thought they were doing the former and the better ones regretted it when they found out Jenova wasn't a cetra. Like I said, genetic engineering in itself isn't what's evil and values dissonance means it may very well have been considered morally acceptable to revive the cetra through those means at that point in the setting. It's not like they'd have precedence on that sort of thing, depending on how old the technology was when they used it there. I doubt they did much genetic experimentation prior to that point.

I never said they knew Jenova was an alien. I said they knew it was not human. Their planet is full of humanoid creatures (eg goblins) At that stage of the game, as someone else pointed out, they didn't really know what Cetras were or what they looked like, and if they found Jenova and thought it was a Cetra then it logically follows that they didn't think Cetras were human (although, in fact, they are/were).

Unless, as hypothesised above, the Jenova cells tricked them into thinking they were seeing human cells. This would put a somewhat better complexion on their actions, since it would mean they weren't deliberately trying to create a chimera. They're still doing genetic experiments on babies for their own selfish reasons, though.

Hojo may not have realised Jenova was an alien, or even not-human, until after he captured Ifalna. Gast may have realised it before he met Ifalna, or she may have been the one to tell him.
Keep in mind that even the party, including Aerith bought that Jenova and Sephiroth were cetra for before they found out the truth. It's not just the scientists. That and we don't know how different Cetra and humans are, nor how different the scientists thought they were, though they definitely knew some things about the cetra when they began. Considering how some of the enemies make very little sense, I'm not sure how many of them would fit in the game when approaching the matter as a story rather than a game. How do devil rides and heavy tanks even exist? Do the dragon riders have their own civilization somewhere? what about all those human-like enemies? How many are actual humans and do the others have civilizations too? Why are they all so hostile? What allows monsters to use magic without materia? Were they all the product of mako as was suggested in-game? Are any of them the leftovers from the monsters Jenova made some cetra into 2000 years ago now established species? So many questions, so much potential speculation and story ideas. Diluted genes from Jenova infected cetra monsters would actually explain why Jenova's genetic makeup wasn't seen as unusual, actually. Especially if the body really is what became of a cetra host even while heavily deformed.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
I think it's unlikely that the wider community, scientific or otherwise, of FF7 were fine with human experimentation, given the lengths Shinra went to to hide all their projects. The Nibelheim lab is hidden behind a fake wall, Hojo's lab in Shinra is treated as a company secret, in BC they can't use conventional military to clear his lab of monsters because it's such a closely kept secret. The origins of Sephy, Angeal and Genesis were kept hidden from everyone, even though they became extremely effective for a long time.

Maybe the Cetra had some shapechanging abilities of their own? Those pink things in the Temple didn't look particularly human. I don't think JENOVA cells could pass for human, because there would be no point in trying the experiment if all it was going to result in was another human. Most likely, Jenova cells under the microscope did something like force human cells to take on some of their traits.

Do all the scientists not believe in literal lab rats or something? 'Cause seriously, that has the potential to alert them to what a bunch of the Jenova genes could do in a fraction of the human lifespan. On the other hand... it's probably a good thing Hojo isn't that competent

Sure they do. We don't get to see it in game for the same reason we don't have a QTE of Zack writing up a report after every optional mission, it wouldn't add anything to the story and would waste time. And peer review is problematic for completely top secret projects.

Wasn't it implied that Gillian committed suicide with the Buster Sword? Zack instantly blames Angeal, she has the sword shortly beforehand (which represents her family's honour). Maybe Lucrecia used something less effective.

Minato:

Re: Chaos. That's Lucrecia's area of expertise, maybe that was the way she tried to save his life

Genesis was the subject of Project G, not Angeal, Gillian just got pregnant during the experiment.

Then why was the project named after her?

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I think it's unlikely that the wider community, scientific or otherwise, of FF7 were fine with human experimentation, given the lengths Shinra went to to hide all their projects. The Nibelheim lab is hidden behind a fake wall, Hojo's lab in Shinra is treated as a company secret, in BC they can't use conventional military to clear his lab of monsters because it's such a closely kept secret. The origins of Sephy, Angeal and Genesis were kept hidden from everyone, even though they became extremely effective for a long time.

Well of course it wasn't fine in FFVII's universe. The President wanted to make an army of Sephiroths to control the world and didn't want normal people or citizens to know the truth. Otherwise that would ruin his reputation that he didn't even trust the Turks that much despite working for them. If anything, he was pretty much blind in trusting Hojo, Scarlet and Heidegger and would only listen to Rufus about the Turks due to the Organization's loyalty.

Otherwise the Company itself told a bunch of lies and most people were sucked into those said lies-hook, line and sinker. Only terroriests like AVALANCHE and Wutai knew how to be more suspicious of ShinRa, and some other people in the world.

I don't think JENOVA cells could pass for human, because there would be no point in trying the experiment if all it was going to result in was another human. Most likely, Jenova cells under the microscope did something like force human cells to take on some of their traits.

Uh, you do realise that Jenova didn't even come from the Planet itself? She came from another world and was blue skinned. Remember, she's an alien!

Genesis was the subject of Project G, not Angeal, Gillian just got pregnant during the experiment.

Well, why not? You'd be surprised on how many either projects or items or even stores are named after people. Maybe Hollander wanted to inheirit(Ugh, I can only read and speak english, but I always have trouble with remembering my spelling!) Gillian's name after she left for Banora?

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato

Their experiment was first injecting Gillian with Jenova cells, then mapping Gillian genes onto Genesis at the fetal stage. That was their method. Genesis was still meant to be the endproduct. The name G referring to either part of it doesn't change the fact that Angeal is entirely it's own thing and thinking that it was an intended part of their experiments is a baseless assumption.

Ravynne Nevyrmore

that one Lucrecia fangirl
AKA
Ravynne
Hey guys, sorry I'm super late to the party here, but as someone who has been studying and writing essays about this stuff for years I thought I should pitch in some input on a few points here. For posterity or whatnot.

Unfortunately when I found and read this very lengthy thread last week it was while I was sick, so forgive me if the thoughts I jotted down are less coherent than they should be. The thread is too long for me to reread the whole thing now, and even if I did, I still wouldn't have time to read and respond in one sitting, which I'm sure is an unsatisfactory excuse but it is what it is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But, you know, I'm easily reachable on Tumblr where I'm very willing to engage in these sorts of discussions and share what I know, cited from canon, etc.

When they remake this game, I hope they go with the original game's portrayal of Lucrecia instead of her Dirge of Cerberus one. I really thought her being trapped in crystal while being dressed in a pimped out dress was too overdramatic for my taste. And I hope they cut out the Grimoire subplot, because I feel it just made her too unlikable due to the fact that even before meeting Vincent she indirectly ruined his life.

I just want her in the remake to be what she was said to be in the Ultimanias, where she chose Hojo due to feeling sympathy for him and that she became deformed to the experiments.

Well, let start by addressing the OP here, even though I'm sure it's been covered:

The original game's "portrayal" of Lucrecia was basically no portrayal at all. She was a blank slate upon which you could write any story you preferred to be told. Anyone who thinks her OG portrayal was "better" than her DoC portrayal is basically seeing butterflies in a Rorschach that they're insisting is prettier than the real thing.

Put more plainly: You're seeing whatever it is that you want to see, which is probably why you like it better. But you're trying to compare apples with an orange that you imagined. Actually, it's more like you're trying to compare the subjective idea of an apple with an orange that you imagined but we'll get to that.

I actually do think Lucrecia's extended characterization hurt her. I think it's the combination of DoC's bad writing and the whole "less is more" thing. And honestly, her whole character clinging to Vincent's forgiveness felt so contrary to the OG in my opinion, part of the tragedy in my eyes is that Vincent was so singularly focused on this one woman and helping her and was in love with her...

But it was never mutual. She might have liked him or even cared for him, but she was always focused on her research and in OG, the existence of her son. I don't think likeability or sympathy shouldn't come into it, she was simply a woman who prioritized science over everything else, and everyone suffered because of it.

Lucrecia was someone who made the wrong choice, but at the same time was also a victim- even if it was of her own doing. That was kind of interesting. Then they made her completely apologetic and even more melodramatic, to a story that was already melodramatic.

At the risk of being redundant, this is a fanon interpretation—one of many prior to DoC—and you seem to fall into the camp of fans who had their preferred fanon jossed by new canon and therefore maintain that the new canon is thereby Bad™.

Which it isn't, necessarily. It's just not the one you preferred.

And that's the last post I'll reply to just to say this same message, but there were lots of other posts in this 6 page thread that I could basically repeat the same thing to, so don't take my lack of explicitly replying as much to any of the rest of them to be my implicit acceptance of their points.

Much as I love Dirge (and I love it more than it deserves to be), I'm not sure I can think of any scenes that I thought benefitted Lucrecia's character. The "If this only concerns me, then yes, I am sure" scene just made me hate her more because I have always interpreted Vincent's lines on the Sister Ray to indicate that he thought Sephiroth may have been his kid until Hojo confirmed things -- so her saying that to Vincent there just made me think, "Wow, what a complete and utter cock socket bitch."

Besides, knowing she's just acting the way she is toward him because she blames herself for his daddy dying just makes her look like she has the emotional maturity of a particularly immature flea. Not exactly the kind of person who should be making decisions like this in the first place.

If it comforts you at all, that line was not at all what she said in Japanese and was completely made the fuck up for the English script because what she says in Japanese doesn’t really carry over into English at all. And, of course, they needed to make up something that had the appropriate length of dialogue to go with the appropriate mouth-flapping.

In Japanese, after she prompts him to say what he came to say, when the English script has Vincent say, “Are you sure…this is what you really what?!” he actually says, “Kimi…kimi ha…” And when she comes back with “Am I sure? Am I sure?! If this only concerns me, then yes, I am sure!” what really happens in Japanese is she cuts him off and basically says, “Hold on, are you speaking to me? Because if you’re speaking to me then you don’t call me ‘kimi.’” (I am paraphrasing liberally here, mostly because I don’t remember what she says off the top of my head except that it starts with “Watashi?”)

The significance, of course, being that “kimi” is how you address a significant other or someone else close to you, and Vincent slipped up and used the wrong second-person pronoun after their falling out. So what’s happening in this scene is that Lucrecia is making it very clear that they’re not in that place anymore, and then Vincent kind of sadly accepts that.

(I TRIED to provide a link to the YouTube video of the Japanese cutscene, but UGH the user took it offline. I will go rage about this in a separate post; in the meanwhile, I guess you'll have to obtain a copy of the Japanese game yourself if you want to verify my claims here, and then the scene in question is the flashback that occurs after Rosso takes the Protomateria from Vincent and before he wakes up in the truck with Yuffie.)

However, on the flip side, Vincent’s line on the Sister Ray didn’t mean that at all. Primarily because it makes zero sense for him to have thought Sephiroth was his son but have his whole worldview rocked just because Hojo claimed otherwise, considering that even if Vincent had thought that Sephiroth was his son, then it would have been with Hojo believing otherwise all along. This isn’t even an OG/DoC inconsistency, but something you need to look no further than OG to find the contradiction in: In the flashback, when Vincent says, “I’m against it!! Why experiment on humans??” Hojo says, “She and I are both scientists!!” thereby placing himself as the father of the child much in the same way as he does in the DoC scene mentioned above (“Ha! I don’t know what you’re implying, but both of us are scientists. We know what we are doing. You are the last person to have any word in this. Now, leave us at once, boy!” [emphasis mine based on what I hear emphasized])

Rather, I posit that what Vincent is expressing outrage about is the casual way in which Hojo refers to Lucrecia—which, if you recall, isn’t even by name. (Edit 12/3: I found the canon source supporting this.) He calls her “the woman carrying my child.” Hojo, in fact, never refers to Lucrecia by first name in canon, usually preferring epithets like “that woman” if he must speak of her at all. (At the end of DoC, he refers to her to Vincent as “our Dr. Crescent,” which is literally the only time he ever refers to her by any individual name, and I don’t even think it happens in the Japanese script, WHICH I CAN'T CURRENTLY ACCESS TO VERIFY. >:C)

Remember that Vincent stepped aside with the logic that “If she is happy, then…I don’t mind.” Vincent clung to this idea that he was doing what was best for Lucrecia and that even if it hurt to do so, it was a sacrifice that he was making so that she could be truly happy with someone else. When Hojo reveals Sephiroth’s paternity to Cloud and the others, this is how the script goes with Vincent in your party:

http://www.yinza.com/Fandom/Script/43.html#hojo said:
Hojo
Quit asking me why, you moron.
Hmm... actually, you might be cut out to be a scientist.
He turns back to the controls.
Energy level is at...... 83%. It's taking too long.
My son is in need of power and help. ...That's the only reason.

Cloud
...your son?

Hojo
Ha, ha, ha... Although he doesn't know.
Ha, ha, ha... HA, HA, HA...!!
What will Sephiroth think when he finds out I'm his father?
Always looking down on me like that.
HA, HA, HA...!!

Cloud
Sephiroth is your son!?

Vincent
......!

Hojo
Ha, ha, ha...
I offered the woman with my child to Professor Gast's Jenova Project.
When Sephiroth was still in the womb, we took the cells of Jenova...
HA, HA, HA!!

Vincent
You......!

Cloud
I can't believe you're the one who did this...
The illusionary crime against Sephiroth...* [a well-known mistranslated line, I believe; you can dig up the proper translation somewhere on this forum, but I don't have it on hand]

Hojo turns around.

Hojo
Heee, hee, hee, hee! No you're wrong!
It's my desire as a scientist! Heee, hee, hee, hee!

Vincent
I was...wrong. The one that should have slept was...
...You, Hojo!

Now, it's true that Vincent expresses surprise at the same point at which Cloud expresses surprise about Sephiroth being Hojo's son, which happens before Hojo starts referring to Lucrecia casually and revealing that he never gave very many fucks about his role as a father, and you're guess as to what that's all about is probably as good as mine. But for what it's worth, my two best guesses are:

1. They didn't want you to know yet that Vincent knew all along that Hojo was presumably the father, because this scene happens before you're likely to reach Lucrecia's Cave for the other flashback. i.e., bad storytelling, using the wrong character to guide the audience toward the surprise they want them to feel.
2. He was expressing surprise at Cloud's surprise about Hojo's statement, not the statement itself.

If you think about it, Vincent's been out of the picture since Sephiroth was born, and they never discussed Sephiroth's father before, only his mother. Also, when Vincent and Cloud first met, Vincent asks Cloud if he will encounter Hojo if he goes with them, as a natural conclusion to the idea of going after Sephiroth, and just after discussing Sephiroth's parentage with Cloud. Not-very-inclined-to-in-depth-conversations-or-chattiness Vincent may have thought all along that everyone was in the know that Hojo was Sephiroth's father, because when Vincent last left the goings-on of the Hojo-Crescent family drama, baby Sephiroth was born to Hojo and Lucrecia and then (as far as he thought) Lucrecia died. Seems like it might be a natural conclusion that the kid would be raised by his father, and that it wouldn't be a huge secret. In fact, this optional dialogue takes place before they encounter Hojo on the Sister Ray:

Vincent
Hojo... what a queer fellow.
Such utter lack of scientific talent... compared with the genius of Dr. Gast......
Lucrecia chose him trying to protect him...
Now I understand... I understand... but...

He talks openly about Lucrecia being with Hojo, and then finds out Cloud never knew Hojo was the father? Hell, I'd be surprised too. And then, if I were Vincent who stepped aside so that the woman he loved could be with someone "better" for her, I'd wonder what the hell Hojo was doing all those years he was supposed to have been a father to her child, and then I'd be pretty damn angry to learn that he never gave a shit about the kid or Lu. Which seems to be pretty much exactly what Vincent actually does, but hey, your mileage may vary when the dialogue being examined is "...!". But consider how noble Vincent thought his "sacrifice" for Lucrecia had been, and then he learns that this is what it had gotten her.

Any way you slice it, though, it doesn't make any sense for Vincent to believe himself to be the father under any circumstances in which Hojo's belief to the contrary is what changes his mind. I'm not saying Vincent can't be the father and I'm not saying it's impossible for him to have known about it if he was, but it only makes sense if he always believed Hojo thought otherwise anyway.

Getting angry because Vincent wasn't concerned enough about the baby, while she herself was the one trying to harm the baby makes her look massively unlikable. At least Hojo owns up to what he is and laughs off Vincent's concerns altogether.

Having her be involved in the experimentation on Vincent, after he got shot by Hojo, while her son was being tested on in another room of the Shinra Mansion also makes her look really bad, even if she did have intermittent fits of coming to her senses.
The getting Grimoire killed stuff isn't too bad, but it doesn't help anything at all, so I'd rather it was left forgotten.

Well, then, maybe this explains one of the many reason why everyone liberally hates on her while understanding jack shit about Dirge of Cerberus themselves. See above.

We also have no idea that Sephiroth is in another room of the Shinra Mansion, and a pretty good reason to believe he isn’t. I've written about this before—admittedly after this thread happened, it seems, and I'm realizing that maybe I was asked about it because of this thread, but you can find my reasoning about it here: http://ravynnenevyrmore.tumblr.com/post/147924545855/you-are-my-go-to-expert-on-vincent-and-lucretia

The crucial part:
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: If Sephiroth was in the manor, Lucrecia wouldn’t need to be shaking Hojo’s shoulders and pleading with him when that physical energy would be better spent breaking down a door. This is not the depiction of a woman who is too polite to see her son in the next room without first obtaining Hojo’s permission; Lucrecia is physically unable to reach Sephiroth, wherever he may be, and Hojo is a party to her access being barred.
(Yeah, that's grammatically awkward and I'm sorry.) You can find the rest of my reasoning about things related to that argument in the blog post.

Also, where are these intermittent fits of coming to her senses? She was trying desperately to save Vincent’s life while her body and mental state were deteriorating due to Jenova cells. I honestly don’t understand how anyone could miss that part of her story so badly.

And re: experimenting on Vincent vs. using highly experimental tactics in trying to bring him back to life, here's another essay I wrote recently on that topic: http://lucreciacrescentappreciation.tumblr.com/post/152879593653/experiment-vs-experimental

I don't see my take on Lucrecia in that scene as adding another layer of conniving. I call her duplicitous because one minute she's surprising Vincent with a picnic or getting him to dance with her (see that shitty Lost Episode game), the next she's saying she could never be with him and frothing at the mouth about how none of this is his business.

I'm not saying she's as bad a character as Machina in Type-0. I'm just saying if they were locked in a room together, the room needs to be set on fire.

Also, another hint that the soap opera filter is well deserved: Hojo saying "So you've come to your senses and chosen me" in that one flashback. :monster:

It wasn’t “one moment” this and “the next moment” that. There were literally months lapsing between the little snippets we see—out of chronological order, by the way—which is evidenced by the fact that an entire pregnancy happens between some of them.

I believe in Japanese the time lapse might be clearer because the way they speak to one another shifts to reflect their present familiarity with one another in each scene, but honestly, if you just look at things like “we’re making introductions for the first time so we’re being polite and referring to each other by last name and title” and “we’re slow dancing in the middle of a workday and also are on a first name basis” and “so now you’re pregnant with someone else’s baby and we’re not on speaking terms” it should be pretty damn obvious in any language that a significant amount of time has lapsed here.

Honestly, I fear significantly for people's reading/viewing comprehension sometimes.

No I didn't mean Gast was free and clear. But of the three scientists in the wrong, he comes out the best. The idea of the Jenova Project wasn't inherently evil. They thought Jenova was an Ancient and they were hoping to revive the race/species/whatever. With the hopes that such a reborn Cetra could lead humanity to the Promised Land. Yes, Shinra wanted to just slap a new Midgar on it, but from a purely scientific standpoint, the goal was not a corrupt one.
This is what I think allowed Lucrecia to justify it in her mind. Hojo had no need to justify it because he's a psychopath. Gast does indeed run from the problem, but at least he realized that it WAS a problem. (Whether he saw the ethical issues, or simply when he learned that Jenova was a interplanetary parasitic alien and not a peaceful, Promised-Land-finding-Cetra is up for debate :monster:)

So explain to me how you figure Gast is the best of the three when you allow that he and Lucrecia likely had the same motives. Is it that Lucrecia experiments on her own child while Gast only experiments on other people’s children? Orrr is that she’s a woman and therefore we’re gonna judge her more harshly about how she treats babies? :monster:

@Tres: Yeah, and that's the stuff I like considerably less about what Dirge showed. It makes her, at best, an incorrigible tease. Whereas VII's flashback merely outlined to me that they hit it off in conversation and then Vincent fell for her without her necessarily going out of her way to lead him on. At worst, it makes her what you've surmised, that not only is she a bit of a tease, she even slept with him before pulling the rug out from under him.

"At worst," you might as well make up that she kicked some puppies while she was at it, because none of the rest of your interpretation is substantiated by canon either.

And even if it was the likes of Reno or Tseng making the objections, a baby is a baby, and it was experiment cause they weren't sure what it would do yet. The aim was trying to implant the knowledge of how to get to the Promised Land into baby Sephiroth. That's what they wanted Ancients for. Sephiroth was ultimately unharmed but also a failure, his increased physical abilities was just an unforeseen bonus. Baby Sephiroth dodged Genesis' bullet through blind luck.

But Vincent didn't make that objection, did he? All he said was 'are you sure'. He's never really shown to care about Sephiroth, only Lucrecia.

Another strong hint that if Sephiroth is his son (and believe me I’m not discounting the possibility of it), then Vincent actually doesn’t think/know that. Because otherwise he’d be angsting all over it alongside his Lucrecia woes. But the most he ever says in the way of angst regarding killing Sephiroth is, “Kill Sephiroth... Kill the son of that beloved woman... Am I on the verge of committing another sin......? Or am I atoning as best I can for only standing by…?”

No, Hojo's experiments made Vincent immortal, which made him a candidate for Lucretia's experiments in the first place. The Protomateria helps stabilise him, but Hojo is the one that saved his actual life. Also the Shinra Mansion is quite small and in the Compilation they were there for several years after Sephiroth was born.

Wasn't that a deliberate red herring? We get that impression early in Dirge, and then later on we get the same scene with more context, where Lucrecia responds with the emphatic if childish "YOU'RE WRONG YOU'RE WRONG YOU'RE WRONG, and we find out that she's frantically sciencing because if she can't correct things "the tissue will continue to decay".

Wasn't that, almost the point of the game? "You were the reason I survived."

If Lucrecia had access to Sephiroth, the "Let me see him! Just once!" scene makes no sense.

Yes, exactly, the first version of that scene was a red herring. But here’s what I think her screaming “YOU’RE WRONG YOU’RE WRONG” was about: http://ravynnenevyrmore.tumblr.com/post/150240483800/quartercirclejab-were-treated-to-a-flashback

I've got a question, and this might be deviating too far from topic but it made me think in these last few posts: Why does Shinra Manor exist? And in Nibelheim? Does it have to do with the Reactor? There are others, albeit, not in towns, but...

Perhaps the Shinra family came from Nibelheim. Cloud mentions during his story in Kalm that "Long ago, people from Shinra used to live in that mansion..." -- but whether he's referring to the Jenova Project scientists or the Shinra family is unclear.

If the family came from Nibelheim, it may explain why the company chose to put the first mako reactor just outside that town.

I’m also going to chip in the presence of the nearby materia fountain where Chaos was discovered, as well as the other materia fountain that Sephiroth teaches Cloud and Tifa about in the Nibel Mountains. Personally, I have a theory that this means that the Lifestream is close to the surface in this area like it is in Mideel. But also, it could just be an old piece of property that the Shinra family owned and a matter of convenience to use it.

Re: Starling

I'm pretty sure I already addressed this. In the event that Vincent did regularly kidnap people for experiments, no matter how hypocritical you might find it, it has no bearing on the validity of the point he's making. Like you said though, the lack of certainty means you can't be certain if your interpretation of Vincent as a hypocrite actually applies to canon, as it's only one of multiple possibilities.

Everyone in this thread is making the same kind of assumptions, though, putting their own interpretations on scenes that may or may not mean something different based on context we don't have. Hojo may have been an abusive partner, or he may not have, we don't have complete information on their relationship so we can't state it as a fact. Vincent may have been overly obsessive for all we know, there's evidence to support that too.

He's certainly not the most hinged person later on, was he more restrained early on? We do not know. You counter my assumptions that the old Turks had similarities with the modern incarnation with assumptions that they were not. I brought that up to counter the idea that that scene necessarily makes Lucrecia significantly less sympathetic. We do not know the context. Maybe she had a real genuine connection with Hojo until the fate of the project got between them. Maybe Hojo had a start of darkness somewhere we didn't see.

With so little information available, what it comes down to largely is preference. Hojo as an abuser is a presumption you are bringing in because it allows you to arrive at the characterisation you want. Other people are making different presumptions to fit their preferred interpretation.

Actually, while I agree with your logic and the overall point you're trying to make here (particularly "Everyone in this thread is making the same kind of assumptions [...] putting their own interpretations on scenes that may or may not mean something different based on context we don't have," which I want to bold and highlight and underline a thousand times), we do have sufficient evidence to say that Hojo was an abusive spouse. I outline it here: http://ravynnenevyrmore.tumblr.com/post/124637735920/7-reasons-why-lucrecia-crescent-is-an-important

This discussion is clarifying a lot of meta stuff for me regarding talking about characters. It seems that when we talk about fictional characters -i.e. the creation of a human imagination - whether from this game or anywhere, there are many different things we could potentially be talking about:

a) The character the author intended to convey.
b) Whether we think the author did a good job of conveying the character they intended to convey – is the character a “good character” in this sense
c) Possible interpretations of that character, both those which can be accommodated within what we canonically know of them, and those which break canon
d) Is the character a “good” character in the sense of contributing effectively to the story, or are they ineffective, counter-productive or surplus to requirements?
e) Is the character a “good” character in the sense of being someone we’d like to know IRL

It can sometimes be impossible to separate a) from c), possibly due to a failure of b), but also due to confirmation bias and the other things Starling mentions.

As Starling pointed out, we all tend to interpret a character in a way that makes sense in the context of our own life experiences.

Aw damn, I went off to look up deconstructionism and forgot the rest of what I was going to say.

Of course people will want confirmation of their biases in the remake, but I hope SE doesn't give it to them/us, is all.

This times fifty million thousand.

I'm not trying to deny that Lucrecia was abused. Just like I wouldn't try to deny that someone had been mauled after they walked into a tiger's cage, and I would also call 911/999. That doesn't alter the fact that Lucrecia must have known what Hojo's nature was like before entering into a relationship with him.

There is no reason to suppose he didn't show his true colours to her. Yes, everything we see of him and his actions comes after their wedding, but Starling, your claim that he must have presented as a different kind of person before their is based on your view of Lucrecia as an abused person. Taking as true the premise that Lucrecia was an abused person, and also taking as true the premise that no blame can accrue to her for this, you reason backwards and conclude that it must follow that Hojo lured her into the relationship under false pretenses. But SE provides us with no canon evidence for this. This argument is a logical fallacy.

There is one thing Lucrecia must have known before getting into a relationship with Hojo, and that is that he was willing - nay, keen - to perform genetic experiments on unborn fetuses. She must have also have known that Jenova's cells were not human cells. She must have looked at them down a microscope. So she would additionally have known that Hojo was willing, nay eager, to create a chimera. Any man willing to abuse an unborn fetus in that way is, one would assume, a man lacking a moral compass. Unfortunately, Lucrecia was equally eager to create a human chimera. She knew there was a tiger in the cage and she got in anyway, because she was a tiger too. Maybe she assumed that, however willing he was to harm others in pursuit of his own ends, he wouldn't harm her, because he loved her or because they were two of a kind. Maybe she overestimated her power over him.

What she didn't anticipate was how motherhood would change her.

While canon doesn’t provide us with the setup for this, IRL about how abusive relationships generally work does, and I’m gonna quote that post I linked above here:

Moreover, we have no reason to think that Hojo displayed that sort of behavior in the beginning, and judging by the surprise that Lucrecia often shows to his cruel behavior, we have every reason to believe he wasn’t. Because no one enters a relationship with an abusive person fully aware of their abusive behavior. They always seem normal and even loving in the beginning.

It’s accompanied by the image of Hojo holding out his arms and saying, “So, you’ve come to your senses and chosen me?” He appears quite welcoming and even friendly in this gif.

(Yes, I'm quoting myself and that's bad, but ask me to go out into the internet and find something more objective to cite about how people who enter relationships with abusive people do so unwittingly and I'll get back to you with some.)

And while we don’t canonically see Hojo not being batshit crazy before shooting Vincent, we also don’t see him being batshit crazy before shooting Vincent, so it’s also a logical fallacy to expect it to be proven that he didn’t act in a way we don’t see him acting or not acting, rather than expecting the unusual behavior itself (instead of the absence of it) to be proven.

What we do see is Lucrecia reacting to the first chronological instance of Hojo being batshit crazy with complete shock and horror, which rather indicates that she didn’t see it coming. Other indications that she didn’t see it coming include her marrying him. And indications that Vincent—a Turk—didn’t see it coming include him getting his ass shot because he—still a Turk here—was unprepared for such a thing to happen (disregarding DoC’s poor cinematic choice of having Hojo hold the gun in his hand while Vincent runs up to him, which did not seem to happen in OG).

And yes, you could commit character manslaughter and try to reason that Lucrecia entering a relationship with Hojo doesn't indicate that she didn't have reason to know he was an abusive asshole but rather that she's stupid, and you could try to reason that Vincent getting shot doesn't indicate that he had no reason to consider Hojo dangerous at that moment but rather that he's stupid, and then you could use several instances such as these to proudly conclude, "Boy, all these characters sure are stupid!" But if your interpretation of the material depends circumstantially on the premise of a lot of characters (scientists and Turks!) being really fucking stupid, it just might be your interpretation and your presumed circumstances that are wrong.

At the very least, headcanoning a character as dumb just to prove why you think they're dumb achieves nothing but reinforcing your own bias.

Starling said:
I think Gillian gets sympathy because people don't really pay attention to her role or because she successfully takes her own life, making it moot.

Gillian said:
Speaking of Gillian, she's a very interesting character to compare/contrast to Lucrecia as both of them played nearly the exact same part in their respective experiments (they had a kid with the lead scientist on their project and experimented on themselves/their kids). The main differences between them is that the experiment Gillian was a part of messed with her genes before she got pregnant while Lucrecia was pregnant with her son while both of them were being experimented on. The other main difference is that Gillian's kid was thought to be a failure while Lucrecia's was a success, which lead to Gillian getting to raise her kid, while Lucrecia's was taken from her. Regardless of their differences, both of them commit suicide when they find out how much their experiments messed up their kid (Gillian) or themselves (Lucrecia). Which kinda makes me wonder if would have even mattered if Lucrecia had gotten to keep Sephiroth; for all we know, the thing she was disappointed with was not experimenting on Sephiroth with Hojo (okay, the game implies that's not why she regrets not having Sephrioth, but still, I don't think that would be to out of character for her).

The most interesting difference I see between the two of them though, is that Lucrecia actually tries to fix something she did wrong, while Gillian never does. I can't help but think that it would have been way easier on Lucrecia for her to just go to the mako cave after Sephrioth is taken from her and forget about Vincent. Instead she tries to fix the mess Hojo made of him and takes all the data about what she did to fix him with her. Which I find odd unless she was expecting Vincent to find her in the middle of nowhere. (Which leads to some interesting AU fic ideas...) Given that we really don't see any of the other scientist try to fix their mistakes (as opposed to being annoyed that those mistakes exist or running away from them), I do have to give Lucreica some credit/benefit of the doubt here. To not do otherwise would be to say that characters can't learn lessons even if they've done horrible stuff in the past.

Genesis was the subject of Project G, not Angeal, Gillian just got pregnant during the experiment. There's little reason to think she had any ambition to experiment on her own child other then the assumption she is like Lucretia, who could not conceive of a problem with that. And Genesis was considered a normal child, both he and Angeal were allowed to raise normally. Which Gillian did. And she left Hollander and married someone that clearly had a good moral compass. And Gillian nevertheless takes her own life over what they did to Angeal and Genesis, Lucretia just kinda succumbed to her own physical problems. Yeah, Gillian generally gets the benefit of the doubt more then Lucretia, that makes sense to me.

Where did you get the idea that Gillian didn't mean to get pregnant while being experimented on, and that she only accidentally involved Angeal in Project G? I don't remember that being in the game or meta-canon materials anywhere, and frankly the Crisis Core Ultimania Q&A (http://thelifestream.net/lifestream-projects/translations/340/crisis-core-ultimania-scenario-qa/) seem to indicate it false with things like “Angeal and Genesis were created at roughly the same time, and were deemed as failed projects when they were babies,” “They didn’t get the data they had expected from Angeal and Genesis, and they were considered failures (although Hollander states in the game that Angeal was a success, at the time Project G was seen to be a complete failure),” and “Gillian kept the truth about Angeal’s birth and the related research a secret from her husband.” Sounds to me like Angeal was a purposeful part of the project all along, but hell, the CC stuff isn't really my forte so if you have evidence to support your claim that I missed, please present it.

Also worth noting is that Gillian attempted to flee with Angeal but they were caught by ShinRa and brought back to Banora, where they were kept under surveillance. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that this happened and Lucrecia wasn’t allowed to see her son (who was considered a success, no less) at all.

Some Post In Here Somewhere said:
I think part of the problem is that people don't like Dirge as a game, so they refuse to give it the same benefit of the doubt that they give the OG.

I found this quote in there somewhere and just wanted to say QFT.

I already addressed that point. They thought it was an Ancient but they didn't know that Ancient = human. These people were scientists and, as I said before, they must have looked down a microscope at Jenova's cells. They must have been able to see that her cells were not like human cells.

Apart from anything else, something must have eventually tipped both Hojo and Gast off to the fact that this creature was neither human nor an Ancient.

And it did, but not until after the three Jenova Project babies were already born. Our hint about that is that Sephiroth walks away from reading literally all the documentation about the Jenova Project that is housed in the Shinra Manor basement with the outdated understanding that Jenova is an Ancient. So, whenever they realized she wasn’t, it was at some point between the science crew moving all their research to Midgar, and Crisis Core, when Hojo mentions he’d already figured it out.

I still think they were fucking morons. I mean, they find a vaguely humanoid freakish thing in the North pole (not saying knowlespole because that is stupid) and then they're like 'Oh this must be an ancient!'

Based on what? I mean there is all sorts of freaky creatures in the FFVII universe. What if they'd found the remains of a Snow or something? Would they have thought the same?

I mean obviously this is something that the writers didn't elaborate on, but I've always thought it was flimsy.

Also, has anyone ever considered the possibility that the mind-altering influence of the dormant Jenova was maybe planting the suggestion in their minds that it was an Ancient? For self-preservation and stuff? You know, Jedi mind-trick business. "This creature is an Ancient. You want to breed it into human babies." "This creature is an Ancient. I want to breed it into human babies."

Obviously I'm not saying that's canon, but it's as plausible an explanation as any other you're going to try to hang a character judgment upon.

a post that I lost the link to in which someone said:
No, Hojo's experiments made Vincent immortal, which made him a candidate for Lucretia's experiments in the first place. The Protomateria helps stabilise him, but Hojo is the one that saved his actual life.

Hojo’s experiments strengthened his body, but left him “in a death-like state” by the accounts of some canon materials; “dead” by others. Either way, Lucrecia says that Vincent’s tissue is decaying in her lab and that’s what she’s trying to stop, which sounds like death to me. And to top it all off, Vincent acknowledged at the end of the game that it was because of Lucrecia that he survived. Lucrecia is who brought Vincent back to life (or saved him from certain death, depending on your interpretation, but either way, if he was dead at any point, it was Lucrecia who brought him back).

another post I lost the link to in which someone said:
That interpretation only places more of the blame for Vincent's experiments on Lucretia if Hojo was barely around for them while Vincent was lying on a slab in a mansion only Lucretia had access to.

Hojo shot Vincent, then experimented on his body, endowing him with his first three monster transformations, fortifying his body, and leaving him “in a death-like state.” This is canon. I don’t know how else it can be explained to you.

Lucrecia took Vincent’s body after Hojo had discarded it (as evidenced by Hojo coming into her lab and saying, “And just what are you doing with my failed experiment?”), and tried more stuff to try to bring him back to life.

a third post that I lost the link to bc sick Ravy is trash in which someone said:
Also the Shinra Mansion is quite small and in the Compilation they were there for several years after Sephiroth was born. She had access to the main lab, where Vincent was kept I don't see how it is physically possible for her to never see her son even once. Let alone against her will.

They were there for some time after Sephiroth’s birth, yes. We have no idea where Sephiroth was at the time, except that it likely wasn’t anywhere Lucrecia had access to him.

Occam’s razor, guys. If Lucrecia wanted to see her son and was begging someone else to let her see her son, which scenario makes more sense while utilizing fewer acrobatic feats of logic?
1. Lucrecia physically could not reach her son because he was not nearby.
2. Lucrecia was totally able to reach her son but just didn’t because she’s a stupid bitch or smth idk SMH LUCRECIA WHAT A DUMB HO BAG WHO CAN’T EVEN OPEN A FUCKING DOOR, GOD.

Lastly, Starling:

I feel like you probably made a lot of good points that I would probably agree with, but I can’t read any of them because that font color makes my eyes bleed, which unfortunately is a large part of the reason why I had to stop visiting this forum in the first place. I’d probably really like to talk to you sometime if you could write in a different color—or, even better, on Tumblr.

Last edited:

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
In Japanese, after she prompts him to say what he came to say, when the English script has Vincent say, “Are you sure…this is what you really what?!” he actually says, “Kimi…kimi ha…” And when she comes back with “Am I sure? Am I sure?! If this only concerns me, then yes, I am sure!” what really happens in Japanese is she cuts him off and basically says, “Hold on, are you speaking to me? Because if you’re speaking to me then you don’t call me ‘kimi.’” (I am paraphrasing liberally here, mostly because I don’t remember what she says off the top of my head except that it starts with “Watashi?”)

Huh... then the localisation team actually did a pretty good job with this, he's being overly familiar and gets slapped down in both versions.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Lastly, Starling:

I feel like you probably made a lot of good points that I would probably agree with, but I can’t read any of them because that font color makes my eyes bleed, which unfortunately is a large part of the reason why I had to stop visiting this forum in the first place. I’d probably really like to talk to you sometime if you could write in a different color—or, even better, on Tumblr.

Starling's been banned for a while, unfortunately you left the forum needlessly.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
If it comforts you at all, that line was not at all what she said in Japanese and was completely made the fuck up for the English script because what she says in Japanese doesn’t really carry over into English at all. And, of course, they needed to make up something that had the appropriate length of dialogue to go with the appropriate mouth-flapping.

The significance, of course, being that “kimi” is how you address a significant other or someone else close to you, and Vincent slipped up and used the wrong second-person pronoun after their falling out. So what’s happening in this scene is that Lucrecia is making it very clear that they’re not in that place anymore, and then Vincent kind of sadly accepts that.

(I TRIED to provide a link to the YouTube video of the Japanese cutscene, but UGH the user took it offline. I will go rage about this in a separate post; in the meanwhile, I guess you'll have to obtain a copy of the Japanese game yourself if you want to verify my claims here, and then the scene in question is the flashback that occurs after Rosso takes the Protomateria from Vincent and before he wakes up in the truck with Yuffie.)

The "kimi" thing happens, yes (it becomes the "Am I sure? Am I sure!?" thing in the English release), but she still very much says the "If this only concerns me, then yes, I am sure!" line next in the Japanese script: 私だけの問題なら あなたには関係ない!

I also stand by what I said back in July right after I mentioned that shrill bit of douchery (she still comes off frothy whatever language you watch that scene in): "Besides, knowing she's just acting the way she is toward him because she blames herself for his daddy dying just makes her look like she has the emotional maturity of a particularly immature flea."

But if it comforts you any, I also still stand by saying that she's still better than Machina from FFType-0. :monster:

Ravynne said:
I don't see my take on Lucrecia in that scene as adding another layer of conniving. I call her duplicitous because one minute she's surprising Vincent with a picnic or getting him to dance with her (see that shitty Lost Episode game), the next she's saying she could never be with him and frothing at the mouth about how none of this is his business.

I'm not saying she's as bad a character as Machina in Type-0. I'm just saying if they were locked in a room together, the room needs to be set on fire.

Also, another hint that the soap opera filter is well deserved: Hojo saying "So you've come to your senses and chosen me" in that one flashback.
It wasn’t “one moment” this and “the next moment” that. There were literally months lapsing between the little snippets we see—out of chronological order, by the way—which is evidenced by the fact that an entire pregnancy happens between some of them.

I believe in Japanese the time lapse might be clearer because the way they speak to one another shifts to reflect their present familiarity with one another in each scene, but honestly, if you just look at things like “we’re making introductions for the first time so we’re being polite and referring to each other by last name and title” and “we’re slow dancing in the middle of a workday and also are on a first name basis” and “so now you’re pregnant with someone else’s baby and we’re not on speaking terms” it should be pretty damn obvious in any language that a significant amount of time has lapsed here.

Honestly, I fear significantly for people's reading/viewing comprehension sometimes.
Your own? =P

I should think it quite obvious I didn't think those moments literally occurred in succession. "One moment [blank], the next [blank]" is just a common turn of phrase when describing startlingly inconsistent behavior.

Seeing as nothing really changed about their "kimi" relationship between those "one moments" to those "the next" except for Vincent's knowledge of how his father died ... that simply does not reflect well on Lucrecia.

She was and remains duplicitous there because she either was happy to have a relationship with Vincent so long as he remained in the dark forever about the circumstances of his father's death -- or she wanted to let him know at some point, and was going to break it off when she did. Now, you can decide which of those you want to go with, but neither is good.

Ravynne said:
ForceStealer said:
@Tres: Yeah, and that's the stuff I like considerably less about what Dirge showed. It makes her, at best, an incorrigible tease. Whereas VII's flashback merely outlined to me that they hit it off in conversation and then Vincent fell for her without her necessarily going out of her way to lead him on. At worst, it makes her what you've surmised, that not only is she a bit of a tease, she even slept with him before pulling the rug out from under him.
"At worst," you might as well make up that she kicked some puppies while she was at it, because none of the rest of your interpretation is substantiated by canon either.
It's not really unsupported either, though, unless your interpretation of Vincent is that he's pretty much the fastest moving close-to-30-year-old ever when it comes to relationships. Dude's asking her to marry him.

Ravynne said:
Octo said:
I still think they were fucking morons. I mean, they find a vaguely humanoid freakish thing in the North pole (not saying knowlespole because that is stupid) and then they're like 'Oh this must be an ancient!'

Based on what? I mean there is all sorts of freaky creatures in the FFVII universe. What if they'd found the remains of a Snow or something? Would they have thought the same?

I mean obviously this is something that the writers didn't elaborate on, but I've always thought it was flimsy.
Also, has anyone ever considered the possibility that the mind-altering influence of the dormant Jenova was maybe planting the suggestion in their minds that it was an Ancient? For self-preservation and stuff? You know, Jedi mind-trick business. "This creature is an Ancient. You want to breed it into human babies." "This creature is an Ancient. I want to breed it into human babies."

Obviously I'm not saying that's canon, but it's as plausible an explanation as any other you're going to try to hang a character judgment upon.

Minato suggested something similar at one point in the thread (i.e. Jenova's cells instinctively made them see what they wanted to see under the microscope), but that could also be a possibility.

Last edited:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
It's not really unsupported either, though, unless your interpretation of Vincent is that he's pretty much the fastest moving close-to-30-year-old ever when it comes to relationships. Dude's asking her to marry him.

Well she was about to tie herself and her child down to freaking Hojo in an official capacity. It was time to lay it all out and go for broke, it was the only responsible thing to do.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
For what it's worth, this is how I understood it.

(Vince and Lucy introduced)

(time passes)

(They get closer)

(time passes)

(Hojo shows interest)

(time passes)

(various ltd stuff happens)

(Lucrecia turns vincent down- if you interpret the OG literally, she actually runs away, that's pretty emphatic)

(time passes)

(She marries Hojo. Vince isn't fully over her)

(time passes. Project S comes up)

(The 'am I sure' scene. Vince tries to still treat her like his girlfriend after she's married somebody else, and gets slapped down for it.

(time passes)

(Sephiroth born, something bad happens to Lucy. Vince confronts Hojo, is shot, etc, etc.)

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
It's four syllables long! You don't expect me to laboriously type that out every time, do you? I fear you have overestimated me.

Ravynne Nevyrmore

that one Lucrecia fangirl
AKA
Ravynne
Huh... then the localisation team actually did a pretty good job with this, he's being overly familiar and gets slapped down in both versions.

I might disagree, but then, I’m not sure what I’d suggest they have localized to instead to have made it better. :monster:

Starling's been banned for a while, unfortunately you left the forum needlessly.

It wasn’t just her font, so I assure you it wasn’t needlessly, but thanks for your input. :awesome: I can’t read light-on-dark text for more than a little while without getting headaches, but the brighter the text, the worse that problem is. I’ve tried to bring up this problem multiple times before—even offered designing a new skin myself—but the forum/site administration seems wholly uninterested in considering my opinion because apparently I’m not a professional graphic designer who has offered my normally expensive and well-qualified services for free or something. BUT ANYWAY.

The "kimi" thing happens, yes (it becomes the "Am I sure? Am I sure!?" thing in the English release), but she still very much says the "If this only concerns me, then yes, I am sure!" line next in the Japanese script: 私だけの問題なら あなたには関係ない

I’m hardly a Japanese pro myself here, but Souya’s translation said “if it is my problem, then it has nothing to do with you,” and Google Translate (yes, yes, I know) returns “If it's only for me, it does not matter to you.” Both essentially say the same thing, but there’s no “yes I am sure” in there, or Vincent questioning whether or not she is, which the part that a lot of people seem to like to read into a whole lot. It’s more like: “You…I want to start a sentence here in which you are the subject but I’m just going to stammer and struggle for words a bit…” “Whoa wait hold up are you addressing me? Because you can’t use that pronoun when you address me! And furthermore, this is my business and doesn’t concern you!” (So, you know, maybe I’m not the best localizer either. :monster:)

Just a small nitpick there. Yes, you’re right that she still tells him to butt out of her business, and I neglected to point that out because I was quoting from memory so I’m glad you did, but I do want to clarify that the “Are you sure?” “Yes I’m sure!” question was entirely made up in the English script.

I also stand by what I said back in July right after I mentioned that shrill bit of douchery (she still comes off frothy whatever language you watch that scene in): "Besides, knowing she's just acting the way she is toward him because she blames herself for his daddy dying just makes her look like she has the emotional maturity of a particularly immature flea."

But if it comforts you any, I also still stand by saying that she's still better than Machina from FFType-0. :monster:

I disagree that she’s only treating him the way she is “because she blames herself for his daddy dying” though, and that’s a very common oversimplification of her character so forgive me if I’m 500% over it by now. Here are just some of the other factors to consider that are tampering with her emotions in this scene:

- She’s pregnant.
- She used to be quite close with Vincent—close enough that he proposed to her—but now she’s freezing him out and very tense about it because it’s a super awkward situation.
- She’s having a baby with the other guy next to her who’s also definitely being a douche to Vincent in his own right, but regardless of how Lucrecia feels about it (which seems to be clutching her fists and turning her head away—a display of body language that is easily missed, but significant enough that they made sure to include it in both games), she’s kind of forced to stand there and side with Hojo against Vincent because of decisions she’s already made.
- And hell, that’s not even considering the possibility that maybe she doesn’t know which one of them is the father, or maybe she knows for sure it’s Hojo but thinks that Vincent might think it’s his and that they're about to have that confrontation. This is a bit headcanony but it is a very real possibility.
- Not just the guilt that she was involved in Grimoire’s death, but the guilt that she kept it from Vincent for so long, which frankly was the worse crime. She knows she done wrong. She hasn’t fessed up to it yet. Awkward.
- She’s actually trying to argue for having the right to experiment on her baby, which her body language would indicate she knows somewhere in the back of her mind even then is a wrong thing to do. Also awkward.
- She’s probably in love with Vincent but won’t admit it to herself, along with the ten other things she won’t admit to herself.
- She’s pregnant.

I’m not saying she’s not being a douche. I’m just saying that if you’re going to call a pregnant woman under a lot of stress (emotionally and otherwise) a douche for lashing out and having a mood swing and hold that against her, you’re a douche. :monster:

Seeing as nothing really changed about their "kimi" relationship between those "one moments" to those "the next" except for Vincent's knowledge of how his father died ... that simply does not reflect well on Lucrecia.

It’s implied they’re no longer speaking to each other when Vincent says “after that day, she never smiled in front of me again.” We don’t know how much time lapses between that scene and this one, but if you have a big argument with a friend or lover and they avoid you even while living in close quarters with you and refuse to speak to you amiably ever again, that’s enough of a change.

She was and remains duplicitous there because she either was happy to have a relationship with Vincent so long as he remained in the dark forever about the circumstances of his father's death -- or she wanted to let him know at some point, and was going to break it off when she did. Now, you can decide which of those you want to go with, but neither is good.

I think this is another gross oversimplification of the complexity of the human psyche into black and white terms that are maybe more comfortable for you to handle. You presume that Lucrecia had a plan where her relationship with Vincent was concerned. I’d argue that she did not.

I’m all for headcanoning that they slept together, but you can’t use your headcanons to support your interpretations of the involved characters based on the circumstances of your headcanons without also acknowledging that your resulting interpretation is also headcanon.

Well she was about to tie herself and her child down to freaking Hojo in an official capacity. It was time to lay it all out and go for broke, it was the only responsible thing to do.

You’re assuming she had a child to consider before deciding to marry Hojo, which is also unsubstantiated.

Do they call her Lucy in game? I only wonder because I see that nickname for her a lot, yet they're two completely different names.

No, it’s just a term of endearment by fans. Same with "Lu." She is occasionally called "Doctor," "Dr. Crescent," or "Dr. Lucrecia Crescent," and a few times something to the effect of "that woman" by Hojo. Actually, Vincent might be the only person who ever calls her "Lucrecia" in canon.

Lex

Administrator
Ravyghghghgnnnneeee said:
I’ve tried to bring up this problem multiple times before—even offered designing a new skin myself—but the forum/site administration seems wholly uninterested in considering my opinion because apparently I’m not a professional graphic designer who has offered my normally expensive and well-qualified services for free or something. BUT ANYWAY.

Actually the issue is that your attitude stinks like fermented eggs in a sewage pipe (and therefore I want to avoid working with you at all costs), but please continue posting about how professional and amazing you are at being a graphic designer who knows best, because we all truly missed you saying that at every available opportunity.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias

It wasn’t just her font, so I assure you it wasn’t needlessly, but thanks for your input. :awesome: I can’t read light-on-dark text for more than a little while without getting headaches, but the brighter the text, the worse that problem is. I’ve tried to bring up this problem multiple times before—even offered designing a new skin myself—but the forum/site administration seems wholly uninterested in considering my opinion because apparently I’m not a professional graphic designer who has offered my normally expensive and well-qualified services for free or something. BUT ANYWAY.
To be fair (and, well, accurate) --

Most relevantly:
-No one ever expressed doubt about your skills or competence (even though you haven't demonstrated how your ability has grown from seven years ago)
-The first time you brought up doing this (when you were on staff seven years ago), you were given access to the site's graphics and told to do whatever you wanted
-The last time you offered (a couple of years ago), you were told there would be some technical challenges with implementing something new, and you openly admitted then to the implementation aspect (which would easily be 80% of the work) being the part you don't do; yet you're apparently still offended that you weren't eagerly asked to create something for someone else to put more effort into implementing than you would have put into designing -- even though a theme redesign was your suggestion rather than a need that had been expressed here that you then offered to address

Less important, but still worth mentioning:
-Plenty of people have the opposite problem that you've mentioned (i.e. dark text on bright backgrounds being disorienting or painful instead)
-Your difficulty isn't one that has been mentioned much, so why would you be eagerly asked to design something (again, for someone else to put most of the work into implementing) when it would be of limited benefit (primarily to yourself)?
-The default vBulletin skin, with its nearly opposite color scheme, can easily be turned on (by you, for your own use) if you want to
-If the world's best baker of cakes offered to bake a chocolate cake for someone who didn't particularly want chocolate, it's silly for that baker to get offended when they don't get an ecstatic response

tl;dr: You got offended that you weren't fawned over to design something that you suggested, that would primarily benefit you, and that would require more work out of someone else.

Ravynne said:
Yes, you’re right that she still tells him to butt out of her business, and I neglected to point that out because I was quoting from memory so I’m glad you did, but I do want to clarify that the “Are you sure?” “Yes I’m sure!” question was entirely made up in the English script.
It was, but that isn't the bit that I was focusing on. "Am I sure?" isn't what made her look like an asshole there.

Ravynne said:
I disagree that she’s only treating him the way she is “because she blames herself for his daddy dying” though, and that’s a very common oversimplification of her character so forgive me if I’m 500% over it by now. Here are just some of the other factors to consider that are tampering with her emotions in this scene:

- She’s pregnant.
- She used to be quite close with Vincent—close enough that he proposed to her—but now she’s freezing him out and very tense about it because it’s a super awkward situation.
- She’s having a baby with the other guy next to her who’s also definitely being a douche to Vincent in his own right, but regardless of how Lucrecia feels about it (which seems to be clutching her fists and turning her head away—a display of body language that is easily missed, but significant enough that they made sure to include it in both games), she’s kind of forced to stand there and side with Hojo against Vincent because of decisions she’s already made.
- And hell, that’s not even considering the possibility that maybe she doesn’t know which one of them is the father, or maybe she knows for sure it’s Hojo but thinks that Vincent might think it’s his and that they're about to have that confrontation. This is a bit headcanony but it is a very real possibility.
- Not just the guilt that she was involved in Grimoire’s death, but the guilt that she kept it from Vincent for so long, which frankly was the worse crime. She knows she done wrong. She hasn’t fessed up to it yet. Awkward.
- She’s actually trying to argue for having the right to experiment on her baby, which her body language would indicate she knows somewhere in the back of her mind even then is a wrong thing to do. Also awkward.
- She’s probably in love with Vincent but won’t admit it to herself, along with the ten other things she won’t admit to herself.
- She’s pregnant.

I’m not saying she’s not being a douche. I’m just saying that if you’re going to call a pregnant woman under a lot of stress (emotionally and otherwise) a douche for lashing out and having a mood swing and hold that against her, you’re a douche. :monster:

Those all make for fair points. Likewise, though, is that she wasn't pregnant until she was, and she wasn't pregnant for the two years or so between Sephiroth's birth and Hojo shooting Vincent.

That she was constantly demonstrating emotional immaturity isn't a solid defense for someone who dislikes her because of her emotional immaturity, even if she had a pretty good excuse for it 36 weeks out of those several years.

Ravynne said:
I think this is another gross oversimplification of the complexity of the human psyche into black and white terms that are maybe more comfortable for you to handle. You presume that Lucrecia had a plan where her relationship with Vincent was concerned. I’d argue that she did not.
That doesn't make her look any less immature, so, again, not a good defense.

Ravynne said:
I’m all for headcanoning that they slept together, but you can’t use your headcanons to support your interpretations of the involved characters based on the circumstances of your headcanons without also acknowledging that your resulting interpretation is also headcanon.
I'm fine with acknowledging that. Just being honest about what strikes me as less plausible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom