Mako Reactors - from bombing to Gongaga meltdown

waw

Pro Adventurer
I have a plethora of topics I want focused discussion on, but I've been trying to roll them out slowly to not overwhelm the forum. I've opened a "Wutai War" thread and "Remaking Cetrans" thread. I'd like to talk about Mako Reactors in the new canon and specifically, Gongaga.

To set the stage:
Remake opens with a bombing of a reactor that goes a little sideways with Shinra making far more damage than Avalanche expected. Though this is a bit spoilery, it's early on. This is a canon change from the Compilation thus far in which I believe Jesse's bomb was Fuhito's/Fuhito's design and thus was bigger than expected. The bottom line is the same: the destruction of Mako Reactor 1 shuts down and innocent people die.

In the OG, when the Sister Ray powers up in Midgar, the northern reactor/No. 1 stays down.

In the original game, we see one other reactor that has shut down (and presumably will see it in the continuation of Remake, possibly Part 2): this is the Reactor in Gongaga, Zack's hometown. It blows up sometime before the game starts. I believe the Compilation indicates that this is an accident, not a bombing. Civilians/workers die in this meltdown, but there's limited fallout other than that. (Maybe monster's?)

In OG, Scarlet visits Gongaga at just-so-happen the time Cloud is passing through. She is searching for Huge Materia and finds Titan to be worthless. Remake expands on this that Scarlet is really working forward on developing Huge Materia.

1. Do we think Scarlet may have melted down the reactor on purpose to get the largest Materia possible?
2. Is there any sort of Mako Fallout when a Reactor blows? Mako Poisoning is a real issue with mako exposure, both from Shinra experiments and I think naturally, too.
3. Is there some sort of radioactive fallout? We do not see Shinra evacuating portions of Midgar or Gongaga due to contamination.
4. There's some explanations that Cetrans courted the Lifestream and made natural vents. We see some of this, possibly, in Remake and it involves their power/magic, etc. Is there an overwhelming feeling that Cetrans made "natural" mako reactors? What would they be powering with it? Ancient tech?
5. Is it canon that the wastelands around Midgar exist because of the 9 Midgar Reactors? Is that part of "killing" planet? What's the relationship between natural Mako veins, rich natural environments, and barren lands? Basically, is Mako = Forests/Nature growth?

Further: Fuhito's Avalanche wasn't too focused (at first) about blowing up existing reactors, though there was an interest in preventing their construction a la Corel. Even in Remake, Jesse and Biggs discuss a bit if the No. 1 bomb had an unexpected reaction with the reactor/mako directly. Do we have any evidence of "mako bombs" that correlate between nuclear reactors and atomic bombs? Has the FF7 world experimented with explosions and Mako/weaponizing Mako energy directly?

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Closest we get is Sister Ray, which shoots Mako and is the most powerful weapon in the setting.

1. Seems unlikely, as she says 'you only get junky materia from junky reactors' dismissively while trawling the wreckage.
2. Unknown. It's referenced a few times, but that could be propaganda.
3. Unlikely. I don't think AVALANCHE would go for that.
4. They didn't make reactors, because that process destroys spirit energy. Materia occurs naturally in mako rich areas, I don't think we ever see Cetra create materia, it shows up by itself.
5. I don't think it's explicitly stated, but it's very heavily implied. Every reactor is in a barren patch of land, even in fertile areas, and the reason the Promised Land is important is that fertility=lots of mako.

When Hojo hijacks the cannon, Reeve talks about how too much of a buildup of pressure in the reactors could trigger an explosion that could take out Midgar wholesale.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Remake opens with a bombing of a reactor that goes a little sideways with Shinra making far more damage than Avalanche expected. Though this is a bit spoilery, it's early on. This is a canon change from the Compilation thus far in which I believe Jesse's bomb was Fuhito's/Fuhito's design and thus was bigger than expected.
As far as I'm aware, that's an enduring bit of fanon, but not supported by anything canon.

I've been replaying the Remake.

In Chapter 4, Biggs says the mako is the lifestream of the planet, it's "not something you burn in a reactor" to make electricity. Implying that burning it in a reactor is exactly what Shinra is doing.
However, later, in Chapter 8, one of the child NPCs says, "Look at the smoke. Is that the mako burning?" and a nearby adult says, "No. Mako can't burn like that."

To burn or not to burn, that is the question.

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
Mako reactor operations always fascinate me.

The closest thing to real life seems to be how liquid metal reactors work.

waw

Pro Adventurer
Mako reactor operations always fascinate me.

The closest thing to real life seems to be how liquid metal reactors work.
Reminds me that we have canon confirmation that "liquidified materia" exists, which isn't just Mako. I don't full understand the nuances between Materia and Mako, myself. I always thought Materia was the solidified form...

But yeah, we aren't really sure how Mako Reactors work, are we? They get a little sky-beamish, showing off the glow which seems to be part of the Mako "burning" process. But it gets used up... I'm not sure how it works. Not for nothing, I always thought the solution to the energy crisis in the FF7 world would be to fission naturally occuring Materia back into Mako....

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Oh boy... this topic again... fast run-down of what we *do* know...

Case of Barret reveals that Mako power is an offshoot the technology that was just starting to be used to refine oil. So whatever is going on... is most similar to fossil fuels... but probably not coal power, which was getting phased out for oil-based fuels.. In-universe, Mako power is never compared to nuclear reactors as far as technology involved goes (assuming anyone even knows that nuclear power is even a thing).

The Dirge of Cerberus Term List is... surprisingly helpful in it's description of Mako Power and a few other things related to it.
Mako
The name which the Shin-Ra Company has given to the Lifestream, the life of the planet. Shin-Ra developed “mako reactors” to siphon mako from the planet en masse and use it as an energy source. As they engineered prosperity on the surface, they also gained unparalleled power. Since Lifestream siphoned into mako is unable to return to the planet on its own, these activities brought ruin to the world.
This description also brings to light the really weird thing about whatever goes on in a mako reactor. Whatever happens turns spirit energy into something that isn't spirit energy. Which then can't rejoin the Planet.

This is the real sticking point though. No one seems to know what happens to "spirit energy" that makes it "not spirit energy". And it makes it very odd when "spirit energy" is really "souls/memories of the dead". Like... mako isn't *really* an element that can be burned (at least as far as combustion reactions go). It would be like... burning light.... or some other form of energy. That turns it into some byproduct that isn't energy... and then that byproduct gets used as fuel somehow??? I don't know, point being, Lifestream is a very weird... substance... that doesn't conform to any laws of physics we know here on earth.

I can't help but feel that there's something missing when it comes to how the Mako Reactors actually work. I'm hoping it something that gets addressed in future games... but I can also see it being something that never gets discussed because that would require actually pinning down what "Lifestream" physically is and how it interacts with other things.

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
I dunno why any of that has to necessarily discredit the idea that it works like a liquid metal reactor. The actual collection process is like an oil refinery, sure, but an oil refinery does not also generate electricity. There would have to be another process for that, and Shinra seems to house both systems at once in the same structure.

waw

Pro Adventurer
Whatever happens turns spirit energy into something that isn't spirit energy. Which then can't rejoin the Planet.
I can't help but feel that there's something missing when it comes to how the Mako Reactors actually work. I'm hoping it something that gets addressed in future games... but I can also see it being something that never gets discussed because that would require actually pinning down what "Lifestream" physically is and how it interacts with other things.

Thanks for the great input, Obsidian. It's interesting that Mako turns into something (why isn't this Mist? It'd be a perfect smoke/pollution allegory... dammit!) and it can't turn back to Lifestream/reabsorbed on its own. There's a lot of science there we don't know.

Top Bottom