• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Mass Effect Series

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null

Looks solid. If you didn't already pirate this shit, it comes out tomorrow in NA and Friday in EU.

So is anybody else a fan of ME? I hate being the "hype" guy but this is the first game I've been really, REALLY excited about in ages.

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I want to get it, but I haven't played the first one and don't have the XBox nor a good enough PC to do so. I might start mooching off other people for it :awesome:

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Yeah I figured this would be a mostly PS3 crowd. But it's fun, and yeah try it on a PC at some point.

At the very least, enjoy the trailer music. It's so epic and bonery.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I wasn't expecting Martin Sheen to be in there.

Looking for an XBox was next on my list after looking for another job :awesome:

Bex

fresh to death
AKA
Bex
Have played ME1, will buy this when it's sat in a bargain bin somewhere.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I liked ME1 enough, but I probably should get a console and a legal version (of both) for once.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
I'll be getting this. I heard they did away with the old combat system, which was the gamebreaking thing about the first game for me.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I'm playing right now, just got it yesterday.

This. Game. Is. So. Good.

Japan (and by extension, Final Fantasy) could learn a lot from Mass Effect. It's really, really, good. The storytelling, narrative, and the plot and universe itself is fucking golden.

Also, for the sake of discussion, please put any and all spoilers in spoiler tags, and please indicate approximately what you're spoiling without spoiling anything (ex "Early game spoilers/first mission spoilers/late game spoilers").

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I played Mass Effect 1 finally just a few weeks ago...and while I admit I didn't play TOO much of it, I wasn't really blown away. The universe was definitely cool but the rest of it, just kinda struck me as meh.

I played Mass Effect 1 finally just a few weeks ago...and while I admit I didn't play TOO much of it, I wasn't really blown away. The universe was definitely cool but the rest of it, just kinda struck me as meh.
this. I bought it a few months after it came out, and didnt bother finishing it. nothing really stood out about it to me. I dont get the hype, tho I might pick it up once it's 10-20 bucks for lulz

Splintered

unsavory tart
Damn me and my financially insufficient livings.

I played a bit of the first Mass Effect and I liked it. Though I could definitely wait until the price dropped.

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
ME 1 has been dirt cheap for a long time. You can download it for $20 IIRC on XBox Live (what is that, like 15 €?). ME 2 will probably be the same.

Yeah, that's why I'm hesitant to overhype it.

I totally understand ME 1's criticisms. It suffers horribly from Xenogear-itis, it was too ambitious and obviously rushed. The buildings and planets are ridiculously repetitive. Driving the Mako was a chore, the planets were too big and exiting at the wrong place on a mountain means you get stuck and have to reset. The decryption minigame was kinda neat except when they want you to "decrypt" fucking rocks and corpses. The sniper rifle was pointless because there's no headshots, and all enemies invariable "snipe" you back. It's buggy - more than once I started a game running around in the sky, or got stuck on a bridge in the Citadel. The music was decent and yet forgettable.

That said, I loved it. The story was meaty enough, the characters interesting and believable, the battle system intuitive and the dialog captivating no matter which path you take.

And if you were a fan of ME 1, you'll LOVE the new one. So far it looks like they've addressed every major complaint, and the game is conspicuously more polished. Also, Mog's not kidding about spoilers - I was immediately blown away in the first 5 minutes and did NOT see what was coming. I'll wait a few more days before passing judgement, maybe give a mini-review (probably beat it at least once by then too). But right now I'm stoked.

Mog said:
Japan (and by extension, Final Fantasy) could learn a lot from Mass Effect. It's really, really, good. The storytelling, narrative, and the plot and universe itself is fucking golden.

See, that's what I'm talking about. Story-wise, FF games tend to feel like mediocre comic books: they start with over-exaggerated characters targeted at a narrow demographic, come up with a setting next, and end up writing plot last. The result is beautiful, trendy characters in a breathtaking setting with a dubious plot at best.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog

this. I bought it a few months after it came out, and didnt bother finishing it. nothing really stood out about it to me. I dont get the hype, tho I might pick it up once it's 10-20 bucks for lulz

Get past the Citadel. It can be very, very boring. Because I was the same way. Once you're past it, you're good to go. It does have its flaws though, but the good ideas are executed beautifully.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Yeah, part one, while sexy, can be boring - long bits of just talking in the Citadel at first. It loses points on the combat system too, which is a bit like an RPG shooter. A pretty good method of combining the two, in a sense, but just not good enough for the game - which, really, looks and feels (or wants to, anyways) more like a third person shooter than an RPG. They've reworked the combat in ME2 (I read in a review) and added stuff like a cover system and probably other stuff.

I hope they made the magic system (or whatever) fun to use too - I've yet to play a game where playing as a wizzard is actually as much fun as a warrior. Although Star Wars: The Force Unleashed does a good attempt (its controls are too wonky).

Anyways. I liked the story and atmosphere on ME1, and this seems to be the best sci-fi title in years / for years to come.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Just beat Mass Effect 2.

I can honestly say that this is one of the best games I've ever played. If there was ever a contest, if we're going by Mass Effect 2 alone, the West is beating the shit out of Japan in the RPG category right now. The first Mass Effect was great, but this...this is seriously a league in its own.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
pfffffffff so yeah I'm mostly just getting ME2
so I can date Garrus OH YEAH INTERSPECIES RELATIONSHIPS. I wouldn't mind dating Tali, either, she's fucking adorable.

I bought ME1 while the download was cheap (like $5) because it's a Bioware game and I thoroughly enjoyed playing KotOR and Jade Empire previously, so I assumed that it would still have the same great story and characters as per always. Of course, the party AI could most definitely use some work...

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Just beat Mass Effect 2.

I can honestly say that this is one of the best games I've ever played. If there was ever a contest, if we're going by Mass Effect 2 alone, the West is beating the shit out of Japan in the RPG category right now. The first Mass Effect was great, but this...this is seriously a league in its own.

Dragon Age, too, and later this year, some Star Trek game. Yes, Bioware is one of the best video game peoples nowadays, with several excellent titles.

I played ME1, and everyone seems to agree ME2 is better. Currently, it's sharing a second place with Bioshock and The Orange Box on Metacritic with a score of 96, with only GTA IV ahead of it at 98, with dozens of reviewers giving it a pervfect score.

I wants it, gives it to us.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
This is an absolutely fantastic game that fires on all cylinders perfectly in every way that matters.

I haven't connected with characters in an RPG like this since I beat Dragon Age(also awesome) AND thoroughly enjoyed the gameplay.

Bioware is outdoing the competition these days. Most RPGs just aren't in the same league, and that's speaking just from a writing and gameplay viewpoint. It's just that engrossing.

Splintered

unsavory tart
So, even without beating Mass Effect 1, I tried playing Mass Effect 2... I fucking love it.

I liked Mass Effect 1 but I never would put it in my favorites or anything like that, I never even bothered to beat it. But my brother kept telling me I had to play ME2 and it was a great improvement. All the problems with gameplay they had are fixed, the story is amazing, it's helluva fun. Even if you only sorta liked the first one, I would recc going through it just so you can get ME2. It's worth it.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
ME2 is structured how I want other RPGs to be. You know, your game can be an RPG AND an FPS, or TPS, or action game in the vein of Devil May Cry/Bayonetta. You don't have to sacrifice gameplay for story, you can have both.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I especially like (as in, actually like, no sarcasm) that Shepard uses his hero status shamelessly as leverage in various conversations, no matter what way you've developed him personally. He's not insecure at all in his status and ability.

Zaeed: " I'll come with you, but how do you know I won't shoot you in the back?"

Shepard: "xfd u kiddin me"

Winter

8ad 8r8k
AKA
oddishness, like vines, azula, femshep, winter
1264883053569.jpg

ANYWAYS one of my best friends is playing this game right now, and I want it so bad. I still haven't decided whether I want a 360/PS3, but my lust for this game makes me lean towards a 360.

also I love me some JRPGs but if I see one more JRPG fag bitching about the high score ME2 got I will personally hunt them down and give them a swift kick in the crotch. I know that WRPGs are all the rage right now, but saying that ME2 didn't deserve the excellent reviews that it got is stupid.

Top Bottom