• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Maussy (WIP)

minimosey

Pro Adventurer
Like it says in the header...this is definitely a work-in-progress. I've got some ideas for it but it's not completely hammered out. Still...having some fun with it?

--

“Hello, Cloud.”

Fenrir screeched to a halt before Cloud pulled the phone away from his ear, staring at the small display. The unfamiliar number told him nothing. Seconds passed, and then a light giggle drifted from the speaker. He slowly brought the phone closer to his ear, aware that the caller was speaking again.

“…here I thought I was lucky you’d finally answered. Are you still there?”

Any attempt to form a coherent response was hopeless. He could hardly think. “Finally?” he echoed.

“You ignored all my texts,” the woman scolded. “But that’s all right. I’ll bet you know what this is about, now.”

Cloud thought long and hard about what could have warranted this call but came up blank. He didn’t even know which text messages she was referring to, although he was certainly kicking himself for missing them. “No…I don’t.”

“Playing innocent, are we?”

He thought he heard some sharpness under the playfulness, but that didn’t make sense. “Should I know?” he asked, expecting a teasing rejoinder, and half-wondering if she’d honestly make an appearance just for someone’s birthday (but whose?) or some sort of celebration because it was the ridiculous sort of thing she would like to do if she could. There was silence, and then a quiet intake of breath. His mind held onto that sound, marveling at how ordinary it was, almost like she was back for real—

“Did my life mean that little to you?”

That small, bitter question knocked the air from his lungs and all happy thoughts from his mind. “No. Aerith, why would you think…”

“I died because of you.”

Both of Cloud’s hands clenched hard. Fenrir’s handlebar withstood the tension; the cell phone didn’t, squealing as it twisted out of shape. Of all the things she could have said, he’d never expected this. “I…you…no. You’re not her.” She’d forgiven him; she'd wanted him to forgive himself. She wouldn’t tell him everything was all right unless she was sure. He clung to that belief and felt his gorge rise at this fake. “Who is this?”

Her soft sigh crackled in the damaged phone. “You’re right. I’m not ’Aerith’ anymore. But I’ll protect this Planet still.”

“…Protect it from who?” The words came out stiff, wavering between rage and a need to know—Aerith but not Aerith, taking on a mission Aerith would have—

This time the bite and venom beneath the banter was painfully obvious, despite static distorting the sound. “Who do you think? But don’t worry, Cloud. I’d like to forgive, even if I can’t forget. Leave me be, okay? Live your life with Tifa and the children, and I’ll be living mine, now that it’s been restored.”

It’s not Aerith, he told himself. It’s not Aerith, and his mind echoed back: what is this, what’s happening, why is Aerith saying this?

“I suppose that’s all. Unless you have something to say?”

It’s not Aerith. But at the lilting prompt, his tongue betrayed his bewilderment, voice cracking on the words: “I’m sorry.”

“…We’ll see if that’s true,” she murmured, and the line went dead.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Well that certainly makes for an interesting start. Aerith back from the dead has been done, but Aerith back from the dead and evil...not sure if I've seen that before.

But is it really her or is someone playing a prank on Cloud? :(

Top Bottom