• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Mayo's 3D modelling workshop

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Hi folks,

After I stopped my 3d modelling activities for Team Avalanche, I found myself at a bit of a loss. This project had concentrated all the drive I had for 3d modelling, so I had little motivation to continue anything.
However, I think it would be a shame to let it all go to waste - besides I had fun doing 3d modelling. I just need to find some inspiration and some purpose.
I recently thought of exploring new purposes for my 3d modelling activities (in part, thanks to a conversation I had with Channy), more specifically I'm thinking of 3d printing. 3d printing adds new constraints to the 3d modelling process - when one seeks to only render an image, closing volumes or topology are not really essential. More importantly, I think it'd be cool to hold in my hands something I'd design on the computer.
If someone wishes to discuss miscellaneous aspects of 3d modelling, I'll be happy to exchange on the topic. I'm using Blender 3d, which is opensource.

Now, for (re-)starters, I've resumed working on a piece which I had left on the back burner for ages. Lately I've done a bunch of revisions to accommodate the model to the constraints of 3d printing (closing surfaces, volume thickness, etc.). Here's what I have so far - it's only a portion of the model, but I hope it's enough for you to recognize what it is.

zEbno1V.png

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Well, if you ever need motivation to make something that won't necessarily be 3D printed, maybe try to create models for things with moving parts? Machines, mechanisms, living beings and such. Living organisms would have stuff like trying to recreate multiple layers of anatomy like that one person on DA did with a T-Rex model.

How good is 3D printing at making smoother shapes? You could make all kinds of structures, be they recreations of actual buildings or pieces of fictional scenery provided you can get it to be structurally sound.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
There's certainly no shortage of potential subjects for 3d modelling. However, lately I've felt very uninspired overall - like a mild burnout.
Regarding the type of things I model: they're mostly objects, buildings, or landscapes, I'm not so much into modelling living beings.
Otherwise, 3d printing seems to be able to make fairly smooth shapes. Basically, it mostly depends on how fine the resolution of the 3d model is. However, the finer the resolution, the more memory it requires to be processed in 3d printing - there are limitations in terms of maximum memory available upon submitting a 3d printing request.
By the way, here's a more complete version of what I'm working on - however a lot of these elements are not yet compliant with 3d printing constraints

vau0RuH.png

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Looks like the Tiny Bronco without final texturing and propellers. If the issue is lack of inspiration, then you could look for interesting shapes, maybe draw something and then make a model out of it. I've drawn a few things for the sake of trying out interesting looks and at times wished I knew how to make them into 3D models, though I'm fine with them staying as drawings.

Another idea would be to listen to a variety of music, preferably without lyrics and see if any of the sounds inspire you to make something. Look up some architecture, artistic designs fractal art, etc. A lot of architects seem to take inspiration from nature when designing things. You get stuff like
museum-civilization3.jpg

curving.jpg
which brings to mind seashells and
Ottawa_The-Museum-of-Civilization_13296.jpg
spider sculpture in front of the art museum. Museums in general tend to have interesting architecture and sculptures. Maybe some pictures of space, the ocean and all kinds of inhospitable locations could help too.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Yeah, I still have a way to go regarding my Tiny Bronco model. It's still missing the undercarriage and the tail wings, too. However, I don't know yet if I should attempt to make interlocked mobile parts or not - 3d printing isn't really adapted to manufacture hinges and the like.
Regarding inspiration: come to think of it, I had to chance to visit a few Mayan ruins a bit more than a month ago (such as the emblematic Chichen Itza), that could be an interesting subject. Or I could use that as an inspiration to model the Temple of the Ancients. And make 3d prints of these. Mmhh...

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
This is really impressive. I tried to do some 3D modelling myself, using free software on my ancient computer...I couldn't even make a cube :lol: As far as I am concerned you're a wizard!

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
I actually am using a free software, Blender 3d, which I find very powerful for something opensource. For modelling a single object, like in this case, you don't need much of a powerhouse to run the software. Things rather get complicated when you include physic simulations (to model a water flow, for instance) or large population of objects (to model a forest landscape, for example).
I still have quite a bit of work to do on this one, ultimately I'd like to see about making my very first 3d print with it. However, at this point I'm not sure whether I'd try to texture it or not (depending on whether I'll chose a colored-type of 3d print or not).
Besides, I think I'll keep it simple with this model by making everything as "one block", meaning no moving part.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Quick update...

S8UInHL.png

It may not look like much, but basically I cleaned up the model so that all the elements shown here are a single piece. I need to carry on this process for the wings. Then add the tail wings, and the remaining parts of the landing gear.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
I've been feeling a bit more inspired to keep working on my 3d modelling stuff, so I've made some decent progress: cleaned up the model to merge the wings, and added the tailwings.

X2JayjY.png

I still need to take care of the rest of the landing gear, as well as the propellers. It's getting there :)

Last edited:

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Almost done for the modelling. I just realized there's a tiny missing element between the wing junction to the main body and the window, but it shouldn't take too long.

UC7Z3Y8.png

I took the liberty of modifying the support of the rotor. My revised design aims at enabling the rotation of the rotor along its support axis, as it is sometimes found in VTOL aircrafts with transverse-mounted tiltrotors. IMO that would make the plane more nimble and efficient.

CryptCreeperX

Rotting Corpse of Wonder
AKA
That weird person in the corner staring at you... @_@
Looking amazing! Really love those attentions to detail. It's really cool you're showing these steps. I used to take 3D modeling but decided it wasn't for me. I give kudos to anyone who has a love for it. :)

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Okay, kept on working on this new Airship project of mine.
I finally finished the frame. *phew*
ZXxEXhC.png
Next I'll probably have to work on the tailwings, and the keel.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
1vwM5rA.png
Did a fair amount of work for designing the keel, added tailwings, a couple of "small" propellers, added a frontal truss for installing lights and relay dishes, mostly.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
I just got started on something else, namely I've gotten some inspiration from the anime Erased - Boku Dake ga Inai Machi. I wanted to make the bus they use as a hideout.
So far I've barely begun to model the body of the bus, but I'm happy that I've made a complete folding door mechanism.
R34lRcF.gif

I also modelled the rig which activates the opening/closing of the door, but it cannot be seen from the outside of the bus

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Ok, made the AC system of the bus...
bG8Qgp8.png

I'm being pretty slow. Not that the Far Harbor add-on and the Survival Mode in Fallout 4 have anything to do with that.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
You should add Uncharted 4 to that list. :monster:

No m
But seriously, these are really awesome. I've Never heard of that anime but maybe I'll check it out to see what's going on here.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
You should add Uncharted 4 to that list. :monster:

No m
But seriously, these are really awesome. I've Never heard of that anime but maybe I'll check it out to see what's going on here.
Yes, you're right, Uncharted 4 didn't help either :) And with Mirror's Edge coming up, seriously how am I supposed to get anything done?

About the modelling, still I feel like I'm a bit slow and rusty, I still have a lot to do. I've not done anything about the UV-unwrapping and the texturing/materials, which is usually longer than building the mesh (i.e. the "sculpting" of the models).

About the anime, I'd encourage you to check it out. It's on Crunchyroll, and I would think that you'd know whether you'd get into it or not by the end of the first episode. I found the story engaging and I liked the characters right away. The whole story is just 12 episodes. The bus I've started to model has some importance in episodes 7 and 8.
As I became a fan, I actually started to get the mangas as well - while it's not published in English (although there's still the likes of mangareader), I've found a very good French publication (oddly enough, France is a huge market for manga and anime - maybe bigger than the US). The anime is faithful to the manga, it's more summarized/compact, but it doesn't leave out anything important.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Alright, carrying on slowly but surely with this project. Made a bunch of small retouches, and I wanted to see things with a more winter-like light. Hopefully soon I'll be able to model the interior of the bus as well.
NKJ7elk.png

Top Bottom