• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

MBTI Types for FFVII Characters

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
I know that MBTI is rather popular these days, so maybe this is a topic of interest at TLS. I actually hate the test (science agrees, actually), but I love the Jungian framework.

I find it fun to type people and predict their behavior. It is also interesting to do this for fictional characters (even though they're not real people, a good character still has a pretty cohesive psyche) and I'd imagine it'd be a good tool for character writing in fanfics.

This is what I've come up with.
Cloud - INFP
Tifa - ISFJ
Barret - ENFJ
Aerith - ENFP
(so many feelers :P)
Jessie - ENTP
Reno - ESFP
Rude - ISFJ
Tseng - ISTJ
President Shinra - ENTJ
Rufus - Turbo INTJ

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
4g6z12.jpg

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
Oooh! I like messing with MBTI stuff. I know it's not scientific, but I treat it as just a fun thing. It's particularly neat to type fictional characters. I haven't looked at the answers earlier yet, because I wanna see if what I come up with matches those. Lemme try:

Cloud [the persona he puts on at the start]: ISTJ.

Cloud [post-identity resolution]: ISFP. [EDIT: After reading Ryvius' post, I think they might be right, maybe INFP instead.]

Tifa: INFP. I wasn't sure here, but she seems like quite a soft person inside, so it's possible. She doesn't seem to fit in with the whole Avalanche stuff, to be honest.

Aerith: ENFP. Extravert, yep. F type, yep. Seems a bit too improvisational and reckless for J, so I'm guessing a P.

Barret: ESTJ. Not sure if it's this one or ESFJ, but I'm gonna go with my original pick.

Nanaki: INTP. Seems like one of the easier ones to type.

Cid: This is a tough one...I have no clue.

Vincent: INTP. Not entirely sure on this one, but it's certainly possible. I wonder if he could be an F type, though?

Yuffie: ESFP. Fairly sure about this one.

Zack: ESFJ.

Bugenhagen: ENTP. Amusing, smart, and seems fairly rational about things.

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
me too buddy :sadpanda:

anyways Red is the INFJ

Well ya'lls are technically the rarest type. But yeah, now that you point it out, Nanaki is very INFJ-like.
All my close friends IRL are actually INFJs. I'd probably be dead if INFJs didn't exist.

Oooh! I like messing with MBTI stuff. I know it's not scientific, but I treat it as just a fun thing. It's particularly neat to type fictional characters. I haven't looked at the answers earlier yet, because I wanna see if what I come up with matches those. Lemme try:

Cloud [the persona he puts on at the start]: ISTJ.

Cloud [post-identity resolution]: ISFP. [EDIT: After reading Ryvius' post, I think they might be right, maybe INFP instead.]

Tifa: INFP. I wasn't sure here, but she seems like quite a soft person inside, so it's possible. She doesn't seem to fit in with the whole Avalanche stuff, to be honest.

Aerith: ENFP. Extravert, yep. F type, yep. Seems a bit too improvisational and reckless for J, so I'm guessing a P.

Barret: ESTJ. Not sure if it's this one or ESFJ, but I'm gonna go with my original pick.

Nanaki: INTP. Seems like one of the easier ones to type.

Cid: This is a tough one...I have no clue.

Vincent: INTP. Not entirely sure on this one, but it's certainly possible. I wonder if he could be an F type, though?

Yuffie: ESFP. Fairly sure about this one.

Zack: ESFJ.

Bugenhagen: ENTP. Amusing, smart, and seems fairly rational about things.

I initially thought of Cloud as an ISFP because he is so literal, but then I started thinking about how disconnected he is from his physical environment and the emotions of others (no Se or Fe), and also how ISFPs tend to be very certain of their identity. He's only so literal because he's... kinda dense. :P

I do really think Tifa is an ISFJ. She is concrete and steady as opposed to abstract and/or free spirited like an INFP or ISFP, so I'd say SJ temperament.

I definitely see Barret as having Ti Inferior, and like no Te whatsoever (dude is completely committed to people, not practicality or logic), which would make him either an ESFJ or ENFJ. ESFJs are usually extremely conventional and rather literal, though, so I chose ENFJ. He is a lofty rebel who organizes people and takes care of his loved ones.

Yuffie is a textbook ESFP, yes!

I don't have an opinion on Vincent as my knowledge of Dirge is scant.

My first thought on Cid is that of a cranky ESFP. He's hyperfocused on his own dreams (Fi, Ni), and a very physical person (Se).

I type using the cognitive functions and temperaments rather than the letters.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I definitely think Sephiroth would be an INFJ. His reserved attitude and introverted yet sensitive nature belies his understanding of emotions. Although he keeps a distance, he also had friends he kept close to that he knew very well.

Also his malice, madness, manipulation, vindictiveness and superiority complex exemplify INFJ too. Hell, Sephiroth immediately did the INFJ door slam on Zack the minute he learned about Jenova and his status as a traitorous human. Sephy reflects some of the best and worst traits of the personality type.

I should know since I'm one myself, ahahaha :monster:

kathy202

Pro Adventurer
Fun topic! I can barely figure out what Cloud would be since he's having issues for so much of his screentime, but I think I'd go with ISFP.

Tifa: INFJ, possibly ISFJ, not sure.
Aerith: Totally ENFP.
Barret: ENFP

Biggs: ISFJ
Wedge: INFP, possibly ENFP?
Jessie: ESFP, maybe ESTP

Reno: ESFP
Rude: ISFJ
Tseng: ISTJ (I like how this is the exact opposite of Aerith)
Elena: ESTJ
Rufus: ISTJ, maybe INTJ, not sure.

President Shinra: ENTJ
Heidegger: ENTP
Scarlet: ISTJ
Palmer: ENTP?? Really, he's such a joke it's impossible to tell
Reeve: INFJ
Hojo: ISTP, but maybe ISTJ

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
Cloud - INFP
At last, someone sees the light. says the totally biased INFP who thinks that all of her favorite characters are INFPs

Though, I think Rufus is more of a ENTJ than INTJ, given his speech in the OG about how he'd rather control the world with fear, rather than with money.

Rufus has been in seclusion due to house arrest etc... for so long that he doesn't even know what his true orientation is vis-a-vis introvert/extrovert any more

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Tseng's personality would really fascinate me, because he has so repressed and compromised himself for the sake of Shinra and the Turks, I really wonder what remains of his original personality at all. His personality seemingly fluctuates depending on what situation he's in or who he's around.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
Rufus has been in seclusion due to house arrest etc... for so long that he doesn't even know what his true orientation is vis-a-vis introvert/extrovert any more
Introversion/Extroversion in MBTI doesn't necessarily indicate how sociable/unsociable a person is, but mostly where they get their dominant Feeling/Thinking/Intuition/Sensing from, so putting an ENTJ under house arrest wouldn't really confuse them into becoming INTJs.

Speaking of INTJs, I'm pretty sure that Hojo's pretty much a evil scientist INTJ stereotype lololol

"where they get their dominant Feeling/Thinking/Intuition/Sensing from..."
I don't understand what that means.

Also, where you score on this test depends on you knowing and being truthful about yourself, which people can't always do

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
What the Jungian typology has over every other personality typing system is that each type accounts for growth and change (and how insanity manifests), so your personality actually doesn't change after childhood, you just become better about innate blind spots (integrated). The positions of the cognitive functions tell you what those blind spots are.

Rufus is not an extravert or an ENTJ archetype (I don't have anything against ENTJs, it's just that Rufus is not one). He is reserved (pensive, even) and quietly observes before acting, choosing his words carefully.

"where they get their dominant Feeling/Thinking/Intuition/Sensing from..."
I don't understand what that means.

Also, where you score on this test depends on you knowing and being truthful about yourself, which people can't always do

It's a bit of a rabbit hole - it refers to the cognitive function stack which serves as the basis for the entire system.

The MBTI test is notoriously bad. But some people like CS Joseph have come up with better assessments. Pretty much anything is better than the actual MBTI test. They don't hold claim over the framework itself.

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
Made the test ten years ago. Scored INTJ. Did it again recently and scored INTJ.

Does that mean that I'm supposed to be a real-life Rufus? :monster:

Jokes aside, I've always been interested in knowing how stuff works, and the human mind is simply fascinating.

To say that it's like astrology might be a bit of a stretch, because this is actually based on science. The fault, as I see it, is that you can't shoehorn each person in a category. The test always says that I'm an INTJ, based on the (sincere) answers that I gave, and one website told me that my subtype was that of the Architect, comparing me with famous people like Nietszche or Christopher Nolan, or fictional characters like Petyr Baelish, Tywin Lannister, Seven of Nine, Gandalf or Moriarty. Let me tell you, I have nothing in common with these people who are regarded as brilliant thinkers and visionaries.

It's really fun, though I've always thought of it as a guide of how the world might perceive you, and a way to see which sides of your personality you might want to work in to change or strenghten.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
Rufus is not an extravert or an ENTJ archetype (I don't have anything against ENTJs, it's just that Rufus is not one). He is reserved (pensive, even) and quietly observes before acting, choosing his words carefully.

I dunno, I think that a lot of ENTJs can be pensive and observant, given that Extraverted Thinking is a judging function and that requires being observant. :monster: As for choosing his words carefully, well...he did tell Heidegger to his face that he has a stupid horse laugh and that it's annoying as hell :monster:

I think the war against Jenova and Sephiroth are the best examples that Extraverted Thinking is his dominant function though -- Rufus is ruthlessly decisive, he's quite good at taking command of people, and despite what Rufus thinks of Heidegger, Scarlet and Palmer, he does acknowledge that they're competent at their jobs to some degree or he wouldn't have listened to their plans or kept them around. He's able to quickly put together a lot of plans to deal with Sephiroth and the Meteor Crisis and had several strategies to deal with Kadaj and his gang, and he's not afraid to do what it takes to accomplish his goals, be it trying to assassinate his own father by funding an eco-terrorist group or using Cloud as bait to keep Kadaj and friends distracted.

I think the main thing that makes Rufus more of an ENTJ than an INTJ is that he's not afraid of failures or tortured by his setbacks -- even though a lot of his strategies VS Sephiroth and Jenova failed in varying degrees, he rolled with it and I'd reckon he'd still fight to the end if he wasn't WEAPON'd to the face. Post-Meteor, even with Shinra in shambles, Rufus still has ambitions for Shinra to rise up again to the top, even though he has reformed a bit.

Edit: Actually, scratch that last bit, I think what makes Rufus more of an ENTJ than INTJ is that rather than shunning others to do his own thing, Rufus would rather step into the spotlight to take command of Shinra and the world.

Ultimately, I think Rufus could be either INTJ or ENTJ, but either way he's an XNTJ through and through. :wacky:

Last edited:
Can't introverted people do those things? Maybe introverted means something different in Myers-Briggs than its common-or-garden meaning.

I think people who believe in astrology would disagree with the statement that Myers-Briggs is more science-based than astrology is. Both are mostly pseudoscience - i.e., based on untestable, unfalsifiable assertions. Nevertheless, like Ryvius says, many people have been helped by both Myers-Briggs and astrology to a better understanding of themselves and their path through life.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
Can't introverted people do those things? Maybe introverted means something different in Myers-Briggs than its common-or-garden meaning.

Like I said earlier:

Introversion/Extroversion in MBTI doesn't necessarily indicate how sociable/unsociable a person is, but mostly where they get their dominant Feeling/Thinking/Intuition/Sensing from.
...Sorry, I want to try to explain it more in-depth in a way that isn't so confusing, but I'm like so sleep deprived that I feel like if I made an attempt at it, it'll just be gibberish at this point. :sadpanda: and, I suck at explaining things, so there's that too.

For the past couple of hours I've been trying to find this comic that best explains how Introversion/Extraversion works in MBTI, but I keep finding pininterest reposts instead and I know for a fact that pininterest is not the source. :@

Edit: Okay I found the source comic that explains Introverted Feeling VS Extraverted Feeling and Introverted Thinking VS Extraverted Thinking, but there's like no comic to explain Introverted Sensing VS Extraverted Sensing and Introverted Intuition VS Extraverted Intuition. OTL;;;

Last edited:
Reactions: dz

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
I was just discussing VII and MBTI on the server and came across this thread again. Mako, Sephiroth as an F type?? That is....interesting, but seems bizarre.

eleamaya

Pro Adventurer
I think, by this breakdown of four temperaments, you can put the right character.

The Temperaments are based on how people see the world via the Sensing or iNtuitive Preference.
  • The Sensing types, being those who care more for things the way they are in present, just react to it. They can either prefer to accept it the way it is (Judging, so SJ) or experience it (Perceiving, so SP).
  • The iNtuitive types are about possibilities and the future, which means things have to be changed, and change means decisions on what needs to be changed and how, so they invoke their decision making Preferences (Thinking or Feeling, so NT or NF).
NOTE: All of these personality types doesn't behave with absolute consistency; just tendencies.

SJ – Stabilizers (Traditionalist)/Security or Duty Seekers "The Thinker" (=dominant Melancholic)
...take pride in being dependable and trustworthy--if there's a job to be done, they can be counted on to put their shoulder to the wheel; are quite serious about their duties and responsibilities; believe in law and order; natural talent in managing goods and services; honor customs and traditions so strongly; working steadily within the system; and use all their skills to keep things running smoothly (in their business, family, community)
• ESTJ – Supervisors / Executives (President Shinra)
• ISTJ – Inspectors / Examiners (Tseng + Rude)
• ESFJ – Providers / Supporters (Barret)
• ISFJ – Protectors / Defenders (Cloud + Angeal)

SP – Experiencers (Improvisors)/Sensation or Action Seekers "The Talker" (= dominant Sanguine)
...are most at home in the real world of solid objects that can be made and manipulated and of real-life events that can be experienced in the here and now; strike off boldly down roads that others might consider risky or impossible; seek out adventure and show a constant hunger for pleasure and stimulation; generous to a fault--always ready to share with their friends from the bounty of life.
• ESTP – Promoters / Persuaders (Reno??)
• ISTP – Crafters (Vincent??)
• ESFP – Performers / Entertainers (Yuffie + Young Zack, pre-Angeal's Death)
• ISFP – Composers / Artists (Genesis)

NT – Theorist (Rationals)/Knowledge Seekers "The Doer" (= dominant Choleric)
...the problem solving temperament--particularly if the problem has to do with the many complex systems that make up the world around; an insatiable hunger to accomplish their goals and will work tirelessly on any project they have set their mind to; value intelligence, in themselves and others, so they prefer to not tell others what to do; and believe they can overcome any obstacle with their will power.
• ENTJ – Field Marshals / Chief (Rufus)
• INTJ – Masterminds / Strategist (Hojo + Sephiroth)
• ENTP – Inventors / Originators (Reeve/Cait Sith)
• INTP – Architects / Engineers (Cid)

NF – Catalyst (Idealists)/Identity Seekers "The Watcher" (= dominant Phlegmatic)
...strive to discover who they are and how they can become their best possible self; hold themselves to a strict standard of personal integrity, a dreamer and tend to work for a better future; have a unique talent for helping people get along with each other and work together for the good of all; and often inspiring others to grow as individuals and to fulfill their potentials because in contrast to The Rationals, they're not projecting their emotion / will never tell others what to feel; but to do.
• ENFJ – Teachers / Mentors (Bugenhagen?? Zangan??)
• INFJ – Counselors / Confidants (Tifa?? Nanaki??)
• ENFP – Champions / Advocates (Adult Zack, post-Angeal's death)
• INFP – Healers / Dreamers (Aerith)

Last edited:
Top Bottom