• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Member Spotlight #13: Ask Tennyo anything

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
This is a new thing we're doing where we give a specific member a thread for a week in which they can share whatever information they want about themselves, then answer whatever questions the public asks them. It's sort of an expansion on the "Let's get to know each other" thread by, well, giving one member the spotlight. More information on the concept can be found here.

This week's participant is [member=57]Tennyo[/member], who has elected to share the following information:
Ok so, here goes, I guess…

I was born in Wisconsin, grew up in Minnesota. I grew up on a farm, we had about 130 acres. My parents sold some land so now we have around 100 acres. We used to own a small herd of Black Angus, but we sold most of them and now only have two left, both of which will soon be going as well.

I have an older brother who is a mechanic that specializes in semis and refrigeration unites on semi-trailers. I have a 7-year-old nephew who says he wants to be a monster truck driver when he grows up. My mom does childcare at a fitness center. My dad passed away last December.

I like to sing, I like to write, I like to make things using Photoshop and Illustrator (not that I'm really any good at any of those things but whatever). I also like photography as a hobby.

I work in Minneapolis. I rent a room in a house but I'm currently looking for an apartment. I ride the bus to work because I hate traffic and I think riding public transportation is fun.

I am open to listening to most any kind of music, however I listen to mostly indie stuff and a lot of local bands. Everyone should go to thecurrent.org and stream them some time. Good stuff. :monster:

My favorite historical period to read/learn about is WWII. This is mostly due to nostalgic reasons because it was my dad’s favorite period as well. I remember watching different movies and documentaries with him about it growing up.

I was raised a Lutheran but now I think I’m mostly Agnostic. I haven’t been to church in quite a while. To be honest I’ve kind of lost all interest/belief in spiritual/religious stuff (except maybe from a cultural, anthropological point of view) over the last few months. But I do very strongly believe in everyone’s freedom to have religion and practice it, even if I don’t anymore.

My favorite superhero since the age of 12 has been Spider-Man although I have recently become interested in the new Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel, among others. I got a subscription to Marvel Unlimited and have been catching up on stuff I’ve always wanted to read but never really had the chance to. :monster:

I can’t think of anything else. Ask away. Be gentle ~
Feel free to ask whatever you'd like. This thread will be up for approximately a week before we move onto our next participant. :monster:

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
Why is Spider-Man your favourite hero? What is it about him that appeals to you? Y'know, aside from the fact he's totally badass

What video game weapon would be your weapon of choice?

What got you into Final Fantasy?

If you could live in a world where the magic system of a Final Fantasy game was real, what FF magic system would you choose? Materia? Through equipment like FFIX? Or a class system ala the FF's of old?

Would you like to have your own farm later in life?

Song you feel best represents you? Be it from a band, solo singer, classical piece, soundtrack or what have you?

What is it about public transport you find fun?

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Did you or anyone you know ever get the shit kicked out of you in Wisconsin? /obscure Stripes reference ignore this question.

What brought you to TLS?

What was your first experience of the internet?

First experience of gaming?

If memory serves, you have awesome hair, what (if anything) do you do to maintain it's awesomenessness?

List your top 5 qualities in a romantic partner.

AvecAloes

Donator
If you could only eat one form of protein for the rest of your life, what would it be, and why?

Dream vacation?

Favorite restaurant?

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
A fellow WWII enthusiast, eh? What's your favorite movie set in/documentary about the time period?

Favorite Spidey story, whether from the comics, films or animated series?

Least favorite?

Most surprising/oddest Spidey team-up?

Why Rose? Just why?

Have you looked into Unitarian-Universalism at all? What do you think of it?

Are you the Infinity Gauntlet? (All of three of you will get this =P)

Cabaret

Donator
Do you think the war would have significantly continued had atom bombs not been dropped in Japan?

Do Americans hold any sort of guilt for that? (Like Brits hold on to Empire guilt for example)

Why are your parents downsizing the farm?

I know what a Welsh Black is and an Aberdeen Angus is, is Black Angus a cross of these two breeds? Where does the meat (I'm assuming meat?) go to?

Do you have any urge to travel outside America? Where to?

What was your favourite vacation?

What is a typical food/drink from your hood that you would recommend a foreigner like me?

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
Do you have a favourite of all the four-legged residents of the house?
Other than Ms. Marvel, are you a fangirl of any other superheroines?

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
You're Captain of your very own Airship/Spaceship. What do you name her?

A baby elephant or a baby pig as a pet?

If you could live anywhere in the world, in any kind of home, where and how would you live?

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Holy shit you guys work fast...

Why is Spider-Man your favourite hero? What is it about him that appeals to you? Y'know, aside from the fact he's totally badass

Well, there's the factor of childhood nostalgia. I had seen theTim Burton Batman movies as a kid, as well as the old-school 70's Superman movies, but Spider-Man was the first superhero that actually caught my attention. I also liked that he was more of a relatable normal guy. Most super heros seemed perfect and untouchable to me at the time.

That and I always liked how he was kind of a smart ass. :monster:

What video game weapon would be your weapon of choice?

Uh, I'm not sure. Maybe some sort of magic staff that would allow me to cast spells?

Back when I used to play WoW I had this super awesome ice scythe on my mage. I put it in my bank vault instead of selling it when I leveled beyond it I was so attached. Maybe I would have that. :monster:

What got you into Final Fantasy?

Kingdom Hearts. :whistle:

If you could live in a world where the magic system of a Final Fantasy game was real, what FF magic system would you choose? Materia? Through equipment like FFIX? Or a class system ala the FF's of old?

Materia would be cool. I like the idea of being able to mix and match spells and abilities.

Would you like to have your own farm later in life?

Maybe. I don't know if I would want a big farm and do it for profit, but maybe a small place with some horses I could ride around on.

Song you feel best represents you? Be it from a band, solo singer, classical piece, soundtrack or what have you?

Um

Well teenage emo me would say this one:

Back when all my friends were obsessing over N'Sync or Backstreet Boys I had a major ladyboner for the Goo Goo Dolls.

What is it about public transport you find fun?

Oddly enough, I feel like it gives me more of a connection to the world around me. Not to mention I hate driving in rush hour traffic. I get road rage.

Did you or anyone you know ever get the shit kicked out of you in Wisconsin? /obscure Stripes reference ignore this question.

I can't say that I have or know anyone who has...

What brought you to TLS?

I can't remember how I found it, but I remember stumbling here and realizing that I knew a bunch of peeps from ACF, so I stayed.

What was your first experience of the internet?

AOL message boards. I was such a noob. I remember posting on an X-Files fan board making posts like "DAVID DOCOVENY IS SO HOT PLEASE READ THIS I'M STUPID" in big, bold, blinding colorful letters using terrible spelling and bad grammar. I got flamed so bad. Granted I was only 14, but still.

First experience of gaming?

My brother and I had an old Attari. I was obsessed with this game called Journey that actually played "Don't Stop Believing" during the levels.

If memory serves, you have awesome hair, what (if anything) do you do to maintain it's awesomenessness?

D'aww thanks ^_^

Well, I usually just let it air dry, but I put in a lot of product. I have some argon oil mousse that I put on first, then I have some texturing spray that I spray on. Lastly I have some anti-frizz cream stuff that put on, sometimes reapplying during the day to keep everything in check.

List your top 5 qualities in a romantic partner.

Well, they would have to be someone I can laugh with. Not necessarily a big jokester, but if we can have inside jokes together and have fun, that's all good.

Someone that would let me blabber on about my geeky interests, and maybe have interests of their own to blabber about. I don't want to date a guy that has nothing to share.

Someone who is chill and doesn't lose their temper. If everything pisses you off then that's no fun.

Someone who is open and friendly and likes being around people. I don't want to spend all of our time cooped up hiding away from the world.

Someone who is nice?

IDK

If you could only eat one form of protein for the rest of your life, what would it be, and why?

Well I recently started using Herbalife products, and it's like having a chocolate shake two times a day, so maybe that? That's a a lot of protein.

Dream vacation?

I would love to go exploring some acient ruins that are thousands of years old, perhaps.

Favorite restaurant?

I don't really have one, actually. :/

A fellow WWII enthusiast, eh? What's your favorite movie set in/documentary about the time period?

Well, I watched a lot of generic documentaries on PBS that I really couldn't tell you the names of. I remember "The Longest Day" being one particular movie that my dad liked to watch, along with "Patton."

In more recent years I remember watching a documentary series called "WWII in Color" (not kidding on the name) that yes, had all color footage, but also had really graphic stuff most documentaries don't show. It was hard to watch, but that kind of stuff is important to show. You can't sugar coat history.

I have also seen "Flags of our Fathers" and "Letters from Iwo Jima," the latter of which was probably one of the most devastating movies I've ever seen. And then of course there's "Saving Private Ryan," but then who hasn't seen that?

Favorite Spidey story, whether from the comics, films or animated series?

I like the mystical stuff JMS did in the early 2000's. The idea that Spider-Man's powers might be more from magic rather than science intrigues me, but then that could be because I usually prefer fantasy to sci-fi. Morlun is going to be the main villain of Spider-Verse, which will be awesome. It would take a bajillion different Spider-Men to take him down. :P

I also highly enjoyed "Ends of the Earth." That was quite epic. I'm also currently reading through all of "Civil War." I had never read the majority of that before.

I also remember one where Dr. Strange was fighting Dormammu and Spider-Man got sucked into some magic spell and bounced back and forth along his timeline, even seeing his own death. All of this happened on his birthday. Then afterward Dr. Strange gave him a magic box that let him talk to the ghost of Uncle Ben. All aboard for a feels trip...

Oh and the 90's cartoon on Fox Kids was gold.

Least favorite?

I currently do not like what Slott is doing with him and Silk. I think it's supposed to be funny, but I don't really think it is. Does that count?

Oh wait how about ONE MORE FUCKING DAY. Screw you, Marvel. Why can't Spider-Man be married? :rage:

Most surprising/oddest Spidey team-up?

He one time teamed up with Loki and helped rescue his daughter. I haven't read that story myself but I think the idea of him with Loki is kind of strange.

Why Rose? Just why?

Because she seems like she is a girl that I could have easily known growing up. Doesn't matter that she's British, she would have fit right in where I grew up. Just instead of the tiny little apartment she would probably live in a trailer park.

She was the most relatable out of all the New Who companions. Not to mention when I started watching Doctor Who I was still working retail. Rose worked retail.

I COULD SELF-INSERT MYSELF IN WITH DAVID TENNANT, OKAY?

Have you looked into Unitarian-Universalism at all? What do you think of it?

I have never looked into that at all. I'm not quite sure what it's about. I'll make a note of it, though.

Are you the Infinity Gauntlet? (All of three of you will get this =P)

d4f512033cbfd4424a5ff316093f5d48.jpg

Last edited:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Pick two boys to have a threesome with and two girls. :wacky:

You see, I am extremely paranoid that if I answer this someone that I don't name will feel extremely sad and left out... :sadpanda:

What triggered you to become agnostic?

I had always had lots of questions, but the one event that I think finally triggered it was the death of my father.

Do you think the war would have significantly continued had atom bombs not been dropped in Japan?

That I am not sure. Germany had already surrendered by this time, so the war in Europe was already wrapping up. It was all a matter of what Hirohito wanted to do in the Pacific. How far he would have pushed it for how long is not a question I think anyone could really answer.

Do Americans hold any sort of guilt for that? (Like Brits hold on to Empire guilt for example)

For the most part, no, as sad as that is. I have encountered people who do, though. The worst part about it that I've noticed, is that the people who do hold on to the guilt don't seem to know much about history. They argue that Japan had already surrendered unconditionally. No, Japan had not, and did not seem like they were going to.

Was it all excessive? Yes. I sometimes almost feel embarrassed when I think about it, like, really? The USA really fucking did that?

So maybe there is a tiny twinge of guilt, but it's not anything anyone ever openly talks about.

Why are your parents downsizing the farm?

Back when I was in high school my family hit a very rough financial patch. We were pretty much at the poverty level. When the gravel pit came in and made the offer it was a pretty sizable sum. It was a chance to get out of our hole so they took it.

As for selling the cattle, my mom and brother just don't want to deal with them anymore now that my dad is no longer around.

I know what a Welsh Black is and an Aberdeen Angus is, is Black Angus a cross of these two breeds? Where does the meat (I'm assuming meat?) go to?

It's the same as an Aberdeen Angus, but I've never actually heard anyone call them that. The colors are considered two different breeds. When I looked up the Welsh Black the picture was pretty much the same as what we had, so I don't know if there is a mix in there or not. Different names for different parts of the world, I guess.

And the meat was all sold primarily privately. We didn't do it commercially, just to people we knew.

Do you have any urge to travel outside America? Where to?

I want to travel anywhere and everywhere. I'd love to go back to Berlin. I would also love to go to Iceland and see the hot springs, but mostly I think I would like to hit up Sweden, since that is my primary ancestry.

What was your favourite vacation?

I spent three months in Berlin, but that was for school. I spent a week in Austria once and that was amazing. But I think the week I spent in Beijing back when I was 20 really sticks out the most to me. It was my first time off the continent (I had been to Canada before then but that doesn't really count).

What is a typical food/drink from your hood that you would recommend a foreigner like me?

I guess I would need to know what we have and you don't. I know you have a chocolate candy called Smarties. We also have a candy by that name here but they are fruity.

Do you have a favourite of all the four-legged residents of the house?

I love them all but I think I may have a tiny bit more of a soft spot for Ella.

Other than Ms. Marvel, are you a fangirl of any other superheroines?

Does Rainbow Brite count? :wacky:

What places/countries have you been to? What was your favorite place?

Other countries: Canada, Germany, Austria, China, Switzerland, Slovakia, France, and I have also had layovers in both Amsterdam and Tokyo (but I never left the airport, so does that count?).

If I had to pick one of those places to go live the rest of my life I would choose to go live in Berlin.

You're Captain of your very own Airship/Spaceship. What do you name her?

The Valiant :monster:

A baby elephant or a baby pig as a pet?

Elephant.

If you could live anywhere in the world, in any kind of home, where and how would you live?

I would want to live in a mountainous region. I would want to live in an old brick house.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Well teenage emo me would say this one:

Back when all my friends were obsessing over N'Sync or Backstreet Boys I had a major ladyboner for the Goo Goo Dolls.

Teenage emo you had good taste. :monster: The Goo Goo Dolls remain one of my favorite bands.

Tennyo said:
Oddly enough, I feel like it gives me more of a connection to the world around me.

Of all the responses you could have given, how interesting.

Tennyo said:
I like the mystical stuff JMS did in the early 2000's. The idea that Spider-Man's powers might be more from magic rather than science intrigues me, but then that could be because I usually prefer fantasy to sci-fi. Morlun is going to be the main villain of Spider-Verse, which will be awesome. It would take a bajillion different Spider-Men to take him down. :P

I also highly enjoyed "Ends of the Earth." That was quite epic. I'm also currently reading through all of "Civil War." I had never read the majority of that before.

I also remember one where Dr. Strange was fighting Dormammu and Spider-Man got sucked into some magic spell and bounced back and forth along his timeline, even seeing his own death. All of this happened on his birthday. Then afterward Dr. Strange gave him a magic box that let him talk to the ghost of Uncle Ben. All aboard for a feels trip...

Oh and the 90's cartoon on Fox Kids was gold.

Great choices. :monster:

I'm one of those Spidey fans who never had a problem with the mystical stuff and Morlun, so "Spider-Verse" intrigues me, even if it's been hard to convince me to care about what goes on in the Spidey corner of the Marvel Universe ever since "One More Day." After Spideys' epic battle with Black Tarantula (Carlos LaMuerto), I didn't think anything could top it or another villain could be a more fit nemesis for Spidey.

Then Carlos became a good guy and Morlun came along, and what followed was just insane.

I'm right there with you on not digging Dan Slott's work on the book. I plain don't like it and don't think it's been a good direction for anyone. And just what the hell is he doing with Black Cat? Jesus Christ.

Tennyo said:
He one time teamed up with Loki and helped rescue his daughter. I haven't read that story myself but I think the idea of him with Loki is kind of strange.

Spidey has met freakin' everybody. :monster:

Even teamed up with the original cast of "Saturday Night Live" and Frankenstein's Monster.

Tennyo said:
Because she seems like she is a girl that I could have easily known growing up. Doesn't matter that she's British, she would have fit right in where I grew up. Just instead of the tiny little apartment she would probably live in a trailer park.

She could have been a girl I could have easily known growing up then. XD

And, it's funny, now that you say all that, I can totally see it. If she were from our country and my part of the U.S., she would have been wearing a Jeff Gordon t-shirt in "The Empty Child" instead of the Union Jack.

Tennyo said:
She was the most relatable out of all the New Who companions. Not to mention when I started watching Doctor Who I was still working retail. Rose worked retail.

I COULD SELF-INSERT MYSELF IN WITH DAVID TENNANT, OKAY?

I knew it! :awesome:

Tennyo said:
I have never looked into that at all. I'm not quite sure what it's about. I'll make a note of it, though.

It's spirituality and churchiness for us heathens who have turned away from our Christian upbringing. :monster:

Actually, I can't think of a better way to put it than that. I've recently started going to a local UU church, and I get a lot out of it. It was born out of Christianity, but it's not your typical Christianity. It definitely fulfills the spiritual needs I have (and which I suspect you do as well), but does so without being judgmental or elitist or even religious. "God" isn't even mentioned in the principles of UU.

I do think you would like it.

Tenny said:
d4f512033cbfd4424a5ff316093f5d48.jpg

I also knew this. =P

More questions:
-Know any foreign languages; want to?
-Why "Tennyo"?
-Got any Mexican in you? (:awesome:)

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
Was also not expecting Goo Goo Dolls, let alone Naked because that is an obscure GGD song that I like and didn't think anyone would ever reference it again. Cranberries and Better Than Ezra were also very cool.

Since you are a fellow Spider-Man fan since childhood, do you miss Ben Reilly? Personally I wish they'd bring him back permanently and stop trying to forcefeed us Kaine, not that the arcs haven't been interesting, and I guess thematically there is more room to tell stories with Kaine because he's damaged.

Soakette

Donator
AKA
Jess
Forgive me if these questions have been asked already.

Who are your favorite FF characters and why?

If you can have dinner with any 3 people, dead or alive who would you pick and why?

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Teenage emo you had good taste. :monster: The Goo Goo Dolls remain one of my favorite bands.

Was also not expecting Goo Goo Dolls, let alone Naked because that is an obscure GGD song that I like and didn't think anyone would ever reference it again.

:excited: omg look at all the GGD love. <3 Where were you guys when I was in high school?

Of all the responses you could have given, how interesting.

I was rather secluded growing up. I'm not an overly social person IRL but I enjoy public places and just doing things with people even if technically I'm alone. :monster:

I'm right there with you on not digging Dan Slott's work on the book. I plain don't like it and don't think it's been a good direction for anyone. And just what the hell is he doing with Black Cat? Jesus Christ.

I like a lot of what I have read of Slott's work for the most part, I just don't like what's happening this very moment. I'm not a fan of Silk, and yes, Black Cat seems rather out of character to me.

But Ends of the Earth? Spider-Island? Pretty solid. What bits of Superior Spider-Man I have read I have liked as well, even if the final issue was a bit rushed.

She could have been a girl I could have easily known growing up then. XD

And, it's funny, now that you say all that, I can totally see it. If she were from our country and my part of the U.S., she would have been wearing a Jeff Gordon t-shirt in "The Empty Child" instead of the Union Jack.

Exactly! She's the trailer-trash companion. That's why I like her. :)

It's spirituality and churchiness for us heathens who have turned away from our Christian upbringing. :monster:

Actually, I can't think of a better way to put it than that. I've recently started going to a local UU church, and I get a lot out of it. It was born out of Christianity, but it's not your typical Christianity. It definitely fulfills the spiritual needs I have (and which I suspect you do as well), but does so without being judgmental or elitist or even religious. "God" isn't even mentioned in the principles of UU.

I do think you would like it.

I will check it out, thanks. :monster:

-Know any foreign languages; want to?

I used to know some basic German but I've forgotten it all.

-Why "Tennyo"?

Because of this manga.

-Got any Mexican in you? (:awesome:)

Alas, I do not. :sadpanda:

Cranberries and Better Than Ezra were also very cool.

I did not have MTV growing up, but those are both good songs. :)

Since you are a fellow Spider-Man fan since childhood, do you miss Ben Reilly? Personally I wish they'd bring him back permanently and stop trying to forcefeed us Kaine, not that the arcs haven't been interesting, and I guess thematically there is more room to tell stories with Kaine because he's damaged.

To be honest I haven't read anything with Ben Reilly so I really can't say. :/

Can you rank the NuWho companions?

Kind of tied between Rose and Donna
Clara
Martha
Jack
Mickey
Rory
Amy
River (does she count?)

Who are your favorite FF characters and why?

I like Cloud because I thought he had great development in the original game. Same with Tifa.

I like Tidus because of his boisterous attitude.

I like Yuna because of her willingness to sacrifice herself for her people.

I like Lightning because she's extremely badass and has pink hair.

I like the entire main cast of FFXII, even Ashe. I don't know why people think she's such a bitch.

I like Zidane and Vivi quite a bit. Zidane for his roguish ways, and Vivi is just adorable.

I like Zack because of his fun, friendly personality.

If you can have dinner with any 3 people, dead or alive who would you pick and why?

Oh crap, that's a hard one. Um...

Well, I would like to have dinner with my dad again emo sigh

Probably David Tennant :awesome:

Then maybe whoever is the leader of the Free Masons so that they can divulge all of their secrets to me :monster:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
:excited: omg look at all the GGD love. <3 Where were you guys when I was in high school?

I've wondered the same thing about you. =P

Tenny said:
I was rather secluded growing up. I'm not an overly social person IRL but I enjoy public places and just doing things with people even if technically I'm alone. :monster:

I guess I'm kind of the same way. I enjoy observing people being people, I think. Just not overly enthused about joining in. XD

Tenny said:
I like a lot of what I have read of Slott's work for the most part, I just don't like what's happening this very moment. I'm not a fan of Silk, and yes, Black Cat seems rather out of character to me.

But Ends of the Earth? Spider-Island? Pretty solid. What bits of Superior Spider-Man I have read I have liked as well, even if the final issue was a bit rushed.

In general, I love Slott's work. "She-Hulk." The new "Silver Surfer" series. And he's not a bad fit for Spidey at all. I just don't know what the hell he's doing.

But, then, I've not loved the overall direction for the character for quite some time now.

Honestly, though, anyone trying to salvage the character after OMD was going to face an uphill battle. Slott has done as well as anyone could have, probably, and better than most.

Tenny said:
Exactly! She's the trailer-trash companion. That's why I like her. :)

Remarkable assessment. I think maybe I'll be able to appreciate her more going forward.

Tenny said:
I will check it out, thanks. :monster:

Welcome. :monster:

Let me know what you think. Also, don't let anyone confuse you into thinking a Unity Church and Unitarian-Universalist are the same, 'cause they aren't quite.

Unity's still not awful, as Christian denominations go, but there's still a difference.
Tenny said:
Alas, I do not. :sadpanda:

You know how and where to fix that whenever you decide. :awesome:

Tenny said:
To be honest I haven't read anything with Ben Reilly so I really can't say. :/

Why not? =P

Top Bottom