• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Member Spotlight #28: Ask Clement Rage anything

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
In this forum tradition we give a specific member a thread for a week in which they can share whatever information they want about themselves, then answer whatever questions the public asks them. It's sort of an expansion on the "Let's get to know each other" thread by, well, giving one member the spotlight. More information on the concept can be found here.

This week's participant is [member=7747]Clement Rage[/member], who has elected to share the following information:
Hi, folks, I'm Clement. I'm a relative newcomer here, arriving by way of the genesisawards, which I found by way of fanfiction.net, where I write exactly the kind of fanfic everyone most dislikes (OC focused, improbably surviving the events of the games) I also have a notable fixation on the welfare of evil henchmen, which you may have noticed come up on the forums at some point.

Essentially, I'm a stereotypical nerd, minus the academic diligence and IT skills. Lots of interests along the lines of books, comics, anime/manga, and of course games. I read a lot, especially fantasy novels, and would like to play RPGs at some point (especially Shadowrun), but thus far have rarely had the opportunity. Other long term ambitions include starting a blog/writing a book and figuring out what the hell the cookie monster icon means.
Feel free to ask whatever you'd like. This thread will be up for approximately a week before we move onto our next participant. :monster:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
What inspired your username?

When did you first play FF7?

Pick two characters, one to love and one to loathe and why?

Is it your favourite FF?

The G'randiest' Daddy

Teh Bunneh of Doom
AKA
Darth
Favourite non-FF game?

Favourite non-FF world to live in?

Early to bed, or late sleeper?

You're convicted of a crime you didn't commit and sentenced to death, what are your last words, last person you ask to see, and last meal?

EDIT: Top 5 anime?

Top 5 books? (Or series)

Pick any one character from FF7 (and/or the compilation) for a room-mate, tell us why them?

Last edited:

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
What inspired your username?

When did you first play FF7?

Pick two characters, one to love and one to loathe and why?

Is it your favourite FF?

I'm not sure anymore, but I think it comes from the fact that my brother used to occasionally pretend not to recognise me when I was a a kid, I and I would assume random identities in response. One of us must have liked that one, because I remembered it.

2001-2002. Got 7, 8, and 9 for Christmas one year. I still have the games, although disc 1 of FF8 has disappeared at some point in the interim.

Love: Bruce goddamned Wayne. Specifically, Bruce Wayne from Episode 1 of Batman Beyond/of the Future. He spent basically his entire life trying to improve the world, completely failed, (though probably not without saving a couple of thousand lives in the process,) and ended up with nothing to show for it. His friends are dead or left him behind, he lives alone with a dog and a heart condition, but when some random kid ends up on his lawn being chased by a gang, he's still willing to risk his life for a stranger. Or, for similar reasons, Samuel Vimes from discworld.

Hate: I don't know, generally I'm quicker to hate narratives than characters. Maybe Faile from the Wheel of Time, because I consider her an abusive partner.

No, that would be nine. Every character has something to do, Zidane is both legitimately a nice person and good at managing multiple emotionally fragile team members, and Beatrix and Steiner are both cute and awesome.

Favourite non-FF game?

Favourite non-FF world to live in?

Early to bed, or late sleeper?

You're convicted of a crime you didn't commit and sentenced to death, what are your last words, last person you ask to see, and last meal?

EDIT: Top 5 anime?

Top 5 books? (Or series)

Pick any one character from FF7 (and/or the compilation) for a room-mate, tell us why them?

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. Some of it is nostalgia, but that game just pushed a lot of the right buttons with me. The enemies feel powerful(only environment kills, if you pull out the weapon that killed a vampire without devouring their soul they get right back up), you can't kill any vampire enemy (ie most of them) with your claws alone. The bossfights were my first that couldn't be defeated by hitting them until they died, the characters all regarded each other with this weird mix of poisonous hate and fraternal love, as befits characters that have over a thousand years of shared history, the voice acting of Tony Jay and Simon Templeman... I could go on.

Favourite non-FF world to live in...I don't know, many of the ones I can think of are in some kind of peril.

Late sleeper.

Last words:"Fuckfuckfuckfuckohgodidon'twanttodieidon;twanttodiefucckshitsfuckfuckfuckfuck"

Alternatively,
"WHEN THE FUCK DID WE START USING THE DEATH PENALTY?"

Any of my immediate family. I couldn't in good conscience choose between them, so I'd have to just ask them to draw straws or something.

Last meal...not really that important with my immanent execution, but I'd order in a proper five course meal with anything that I either liked, or would like to try. I'd probably try get drunk towards the end.

Top five anime... it's hard to say, depends what you're looking for. I'm fond of Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu because it's basically parodying all the other high school anime -crazy stalker girl actually tazes her crush unconscious, the 'bad cook' actually cooks with industrial chemicals that can kill people, perverted guy needs blood transfusions due to all his nosebleeds, the school has a special 'Hideyoshi' bathroom solely for the ambiguously gendered character...but the show also has heart. The love triangle is actually pretty sweet, and the main character is both a complete idiot (he buys video games instead of food) and a really nice person who will do anything for the people he cares about (he almost gets expelled because he tries to help a random eight year old, goes out of his way to be friends with the transfer girl that doesn't speak Japanese and thus is isolated
(and learns the wrong language by mistake)
, and the premise of the series is his efforts to get better class equipment because he's worried about the health of a classmate, going through severe pain (literally) in the process.

Death Note is up there, Code Geass loses out because while a good show, neither the main character's military tactics nor his chess make sense.

Baccano is pretty fun. Never bothered with Naruto or One Piece (because two hundred episodes, and I don't have that much free time.

I dunno, Angel Beats was good, it depends where your interests are, Haruhi Suzumiya pretty decent, I don't really have firm ranks, depends on my mood.

Books, again in no particular order.

To Kill a Mockingbird (sequel out this year could be interesting). Normally, I don't like child perspectives where they're used to deal with Serious Business and Learn a Lesson,( I hated the Boy in the Striped Pyjamas), but this one really works. While it does teach a lesson, it's also fair, in that we have newspaper guy is racist as fuck but
still isn't going to let a mob lynch a prisoner
. Everyone has some positive traits except Bob Ewell, who hates his life and wants someone to blame. (citation needed, I guess.) I loved the Wire(not a book, I know) for similar reasons as well, because it seemed fair in its depictions (police are thoroughly corrupt, but also do good work).

The Count of Monte Cristo. I loved the descriptions, the theme (vengeance is hollow), and just how... real everything felt. Not that there aren't contrived coincidences, but I loved it anyway.

The Malazan book of the Fallen, by Steven Erikson/Ian Cameron Esslemont. A world built from a RPG by two archeologists, it's incredibly rich in history (we're talking hundreds of thousands of years, multiple continents with distinct histories, multiple worlds, magic systems that clash, work differently based on geography, and practically every book has multiple political entities, deities, and standalone powers with distinct agendas involved in the climax. One character has three minor appearances so far

a) a staring match
b) watering flowers
c)freezing a continent in time.

I also really like what they do with women, namely that they just exist, without apology or explanation, you will find female mages, soldiers, assassins, rulers, etc, and nobody thinks there's anything odd about that.

Lots of other books I could recommend, but hard to rank them by preference, but Discworld, especially the Watch books, should probably be up there.

Red XIII, it seems like you could learn a lot from him.

Hmm... I seem to be cursing more than usual in my answers.

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
Clem said:
I also really like what they do with women, namely that they just exist, without apology or explanation, you will find female mages, soldiers, assassins, rulers, etc, and nobody thinks there's anything odd about that.

Bitch plz, there's only one. :monster:

I strongly approve of some of your answers, I loved Soul Reaper so much. Would you like to see a knobs-on remake? I feel that the environments could be so much more detailed and challenging in a modern format.

(this next question is paraphrased from one Lic asked me in my AMA and I thought it was ace) Which FF character do you feel you can relate to/represents you most as a person?

Do you like Ninja Scroll? Are you excited about the Hollywood version of GiTS?

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
I don't know, it might just end up a God of War clone. Done right, it could be awesome, upgrade the enemy AI and keep their powers mostly the same, chalk that up to a maybe. Tony Jay is dead now (RIP), so they'd have to either recycle dialogue or recast the Elder.

Would love to see a HD Collection of SR1, 2, and Defiance, though.

I don't relate well to characters, but if I had to pick, maybe Reeve, in that I aspire to altruism but never quite manage it.

Never heard of it. I'll see if I can look it up before the end of the week.

Not particularly excited, but not spitting rage either. I'll reserve judgement until I see the result.

Bitch plz, there's only one.

Duly noted.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Hmm...it seems to be some kind of non-specific indicator of lightheartedness or mockery, but as I said, further study may be required. I've never even seen Sesame Street.

Cashews, especially if salted (not healthy, I know).

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
sticker,375x360.png

I just realized I have no idea what gender you are.

Ghost X

^Speaking of the big questions...

What is the meaning of life?

How did life begin?

How did the universe begin? Assuming it did, of course.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
sticker,375x360.png

I just realized I have no idea what gender you are.

Male. Meant to put that in the description actually.

What does mean to you? On a personal level.

No idea, see above. Something to do with a monster that likes cookies? It's one of the great mysteries of the universe.

What is the meaning of life?

How did life begin?

How did the universe begin? Assuming it did, of course.

The meaning of life is whatever you choose it to be, there's no one absolute answer.

How did life begin? I believe the phrase is 'primordial soup'. Sounds nice.

With a Bang (no, not a whimper, honest.)

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
You mention writing the kind of fanfic everyone dislikes. Do you write this kind of fanfic as some kind of deliberate attempt to make a fic as bad as possible, or is it merely the kind of fic you like to write?

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
If you ask someone what they dislike about fanfic, OCs (Original Characters ie. ones that aren't in the original work) are usually high on the list, after shipping and mpreg. But I'm honestly interested in low level players in major events like this (that's why I liked the Gotham Central comic series), so I tend to write about them. In order to do that, I have to make sure they survive those events, so they have sometimes unreasonably good luck. In my defense, though, they don't romance the main characters, I try not to have them be more skilled than the main characters, and they usually get the tar beaten out of them on multiple occasions.

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
If you ask someone what they dislike about fanfic, OCs (Original Characters ie. ones that aren't in the original work) are usually high on the list, after shipping and mpreg. But I'm honestly interested in low level players in major events like this (that's why I liked the Gotham Central comic series), so I tend to write about them. In order to do that, I have to make sure they survive those events, so they have sometimes unreasonably good luck. In my defense, though, they don't romance the main characters, I try not to have them be more skilled than the main characters, and they usually get the tar beaten out of them on multiple occasions.

So you're the kind of person who would write about Corneo Henchman #4, That Shinra soldier besides Cloud at Nibeheim, the guy who are sick, etc.?

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Yep. I actually did write about a Corneo henchman and one of the guards in sector 1 station, but now I mostly don't bother with the cameo in the main game at all (ie. A completely original Shinra soldier with a separate plot, that was around during X game but never appears directly. Easier to keep them alive that way :)

Top Bottom