• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Member Spotlight #34: Ask Commander Vimes anything

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
In this forum tradition we give a specific member a thread for a week in which they can share whatever information they want about themselves, then answer whatever questions the public asks them. It's sort of an expansion on the "Let's get to know each other" thread by, well, giving one member the spotlight. More information on the concept can be found here.

This week's participant is [member=9733]Commander Vimes[/member], who has elected to share the following information:
Character profile for TLS Member "Commander Vimes".

Full name: Benjamin Daniel Tavares (Benji).
Race: Half Portuguese, half Afrikaans.
Height: 1.86m.
Weight: 107kg.
Class: Nerd.
Job: Administration/job-searching.
Hair/skin/eye colour: Dark brown, pasty white, chocolate.

Biography:
Benjamin grew up in Portugal until he was eight, then moved to South Africa, where he has lived since. His parents provided for him as well as they could, and he had a rich variety of experiences, travelling to several different countries, and taking part in many activities, such as karate and piano lessons. However, in his teen years, all this changed, as health issues eventually took both his parents. He and his sister lived together for a short while after that, until she married, and he moved to the town in which his wife, then his girlfriend, lived. Here he finished his degree, and has been seeking work in the economic/business field. He currently lives a simple but happy life, working in the day, and playing PC/PS games at night.

I really really love RPG's, so I had to do this! :D

HIT ME WITH EVERYTHING YOU GOT, TLS!! :monster:
Feel free to ask whatever you'd like. This thread will be up for approximately a week before we move onto our next participant. :monster:

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
How did you end up in South Africa?

How did you and your love-muffin meat each other?

Have you been back to Portugal? Do you miss it?

Aside from being a nerd, what class are you in battle?

EDIT: I meant to say "meet", not "meat"....you really don't have to tell us all how you meat each other.

The G'randiest' Daddy

Teh Bunneh of Doom
AKA
Darth
How did you end up in South Africa?

My parents actually met here, my Mom was South African (she's my Afrikaans half) and my Dad was living here for work. So they got married here, my sister was born here, and when my Mom was 6 months pregnant with me, they moved to Portugal for my Dad to start a business there (selling really awesome natural products for farming). I was obviously born there, and when I was 8 my Dad wanted to expand the business to South Africa (ultimately unsuccessful :( ), so we all moved back.

How did you and your love-muffin meat each other?

We were both home-schooled, but living in different provinces. But every year a friend's dad would organise a camp for all the home-schoolers to get together. Bada-bing bada-boom, we met there in 2005, but we didn't talk much after that. Then we met again in 2008, exchanged numbers, and by late 2010 we were seriously chatting. On 20/10/2010 I asked her out, and the rest is history (which includes a lot of long drives :D ).

Have you been back to Portugal? Do you miss it?

I miss the land and the people, but not the country, as it were. I would not go back to live there, as the bureaucratic culture makes it impossible to make progress unless you start with a fortune. I have been back to visit, my Mom, sister, and myself went back in 2007 for business things (to sell off the business), and we took two weeks just to visit places and see familiar things. And also my grandmother, who still lived there at the time. I would still like to take Cormé to go see the places I grew up.

Aside from being a nerd, what class are you in battle?

I have done some martial arts, and I like fighting up close and personal, so I'm a sort of monk/brawler. With just a hint of Barbarian Rage. :monster:

EDIT: I meant to say "meet", not "meat"....you really don't have to tell us all how you meat each other.

Ah dammit, I was gonna get some puns ready and everything :P.

Ghost X

If you woke up and learnt you did something fantastic (or not, depending on one's perspective :P), and all the world leaders were outside waiting to shake your hand, how would you respond?

What is your favourite nut and/or legume?

What is your fire escape plan? Say a raging fire began in the doorway to the room you're currently in (presuming you are looking at this via a laptop or desktop), how would you escape?

The G'randiest' Daddy

Teh Bunneh of Doom
AKA
Darth
If you woke up and learnt you did something fantastic (or not, depending on one's perspective :P), and all the world leaders were outside waiting to shake your hand, how would you respond?

First I would ask them (via someone else) to please just wait so I could get dressed, as I have not got a single pair of pyjamas that could be considered decent :D. I'd get neatly dressed, find out exactly what it was I had done, get my thoughts in order, and calmly go talk to them/shake their hands/receive their undying praises :P.

What is your favourite nut and/or legume?

I was waiting for this :). Cashews and lupin beans, called tremosos in Portuguese.

What is your fire escape plan? Say a raging fire began in the doorway to the room you're currently in (presuming you are looking at this via a laptop or desktop), how would you escape?

Depends on the fire. If I could put it out, that'd be simplest. If not electrical or oil based, I'd use the water I keep in bottles in my fridge, currently I have at least 6 litres available. Else I'd try smother it with large towels or something. However, you asked for an ESCAPE plan, so: we live on the second floor (or first floor, depending on country convention), so I'd smash out a window with a chair, clear away most of the glass, help lower my wife out, then depending on time try and save some things like my keyboard and computer. Then climb out, and do the ol' hang-and-drop.

The G'randiest' Daddy

Teh Bunneh of Doom
AKA
Darth
Worst RPG you ever played?

Sacred 2 Gold Edition. It was... flawed isn't even the word. Okay, it had good humour, including quests to find the instruments for Blind Guardian (and then unlocking a video where they metal'd for an audience of various monsters) but it just never really took off, didn't get me emotionally involved, was full of glitches, and so on, and so forth.

Still had some fun, though.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
What would you name your spaceship/airship and would be unique about her?

What fictional weapon would you wield into battle?

The G'randiest' Daddy

Teh Bunneh of Doom
AKA
Darth
What would you name your spaceship/airship and would be unique about her?

I would name her Voidwalker, and she would have the ability to split into two parts - a sleek fighter ship, and a flying mecha. The mecha would then be able to ride the fighter like a skateboard. Or they could mesh, losing some speed and manoeuvrability, but gaining heavy shielding and cannons.

What fictional weapon would you wield into battle?

If it has to a specific fictional weapon, I would use Loz's Dual Hound.

If it can be one of my own design, it would be similar - a backpack style power pack, linked to my knuckle dusters to power my punches with electric jolts, with the option to fire out magnetic rods, creating an area in which I can move with super speed, jump higher, and hit harder.

The G'randiest' Daddy

Teh Bunneh of Doom
AKA
Darth
Come on peeps, I'm raring to answer some questions here! Ask me anything, I really don't mind! (If I REEEEEEAAAAALLY mind I'll just say so, and I swear I won't offended :D ).

I said hit with all you got, I meant it! :monster: :wacky:

What are your top three video games of all time?

Top three J-RPGs of all time?

What is your spirit animal?

Do you have any dreams, by which I mean important tasks that you want completed before you die?

Do you think you will have kids with your best gal before you hit thirty years of age?

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
Ohhh good question. I like that one. ^.^

Where have you been in the world (aside from the places already mentioned)?

What is your favorite Portuguese meal? Your favorite South African meal?

What's the staple food there? The thing people have just "in general" or perhaps several days out of the week.

Do people on your side of the pond treat their animals like family members?

Have you ever worn women's clothing?

The G'randiest' Daddy

Teh Bunneh of Doom
AKA
Darth
Yay questions!

What are your top three video games of all time?

LEGEND OF DRAGOON!!!!
Deus Ex (the whole series)
Mass Effect (the whole series)

Top three J-RPGs of all time?

LEGEND OF DRAGOON!!!!
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Almost definitely a bear. I'm warm, furry, told that I give good hugs, and I can kill with my bear hands :awesome:.

Do you have any dreams, by which I mean important tasks that you want completed before you die?

I still want to write music for games and/or movies. I want to finish at least on of my book ideas. I want to build an awesome house with a music room/studio, a nerd room, and a massive kitchen. I think that about covers it...

Do you think you will have kids with your best gal before you hit thirty years of age?

Nope! Here's the deal: the day after I turn 30, we will start thinking about deciding whether or not to talk about having kids :wacky:. I know I'd love my own kids, and I think I'd be a good father, but I know I'm not ready yet. And Cormé works with kids all day, sooo... And thus, we made The Deal. Of course, things could happen. But not by our design.

Have you produced any music for a particular game or a movie, even an unfinished game or movie?

Have you tried creating a video game-y theme out of thin air, not connected to a project, and if so would you like to share your work with us?

When was the last time you played Legend of Dragoon, all the way from start to finish?

Do you admit Legend of Dragoon as a guilty pleasure, given all its flaws, or would you seriously defend LoD as a well-designed, well-written J-RPG?

Have you ever worn lipstick? Sidenote: I did once and I felt so pretty and sexy. :awesome: The second time the novelty had completely worn off though.

The G'randiest' Daddy

Teh Bunneh of Doom
AKA
Darth
Where have you been in the world (aside from the places already mentioned)?

I have been to Brazil, Spain, Austria, Poland, Slovakia, and Switzerland. The last four were all during our choir tour, and the first two were with family.

What is your favorite Portuguese meal? Your favorite South African meal?

Hmm... I'd say proper Portuguese style chocolate mousse, which is thick, rich, and awesome. And for SA, definitely a steak on the "braai", which is like barbecue, but done over the coals rather than an open flame.

What's the staple food there? The thing people have just "in general" or perhaps several days out of the week.

Meat. Definitely meat. You can skip everything else, but you gotta have meat in your main meal. We also like "pap", which is a stiff version of porridge, usually made from maize meal. South Africans are also pretty big on bread.

Do people on your side of the pond treat their animals like family members?

Some do, some don't. It really depends. Aside from the arseholes that one finds all over the globe, there are a lot of situations that warrant different pehaviour. For example on the farm there are a few dogs who are there to protect the place. We treat them well, and feed them and everything, but they aren't pampered, because they're work animals. They are definitely appreciated, though! :D

Have you ever worn women's clothing?

Once, as a child, I tried on my sister's ballet tutu, just for the hell of it. And another time, when I was around...14, and quite chubby, I tried on one of her bras to see if my moobs were bigger than her boobs :wacky:. Other than that, nope :).

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
Where in the world is Carmen San Diego?

On a similar note, where's Wally?

What's your confectionary and soft drink of choice?

If you had to pick a single game to play over and over and over again for the rest of your days, what would it be?

Favourite game protagonists?

Favourite game antagonists?

Favourite NPC in a Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts game?

Favourite Keyblade design? Actually, if you had to wield a keyblade, which keychain would you use?

What got you into J-RPGs?

What attracted you to FFVII and what's kept you around it since?

Least favourite gaming genre?

Three favourite songs from Kindom Hearts?

Do you, by chance, have a Darth Maul lightsaber? If so, how often have you let your inner child come out and just swung it around like a mad wee fecker, breaking any and all porcelain around you?

...Cause I totally didn't do the same thing when I found my Qui Qon Jin lightsaber a few years ago...

The G'randiest' Daddy

Teh Bunneh of Doom
AKA
Darth
Have you produced any music for a particular game or a movie, even an unfinished game or movie?

Sadly, no. A friend of mine wanted to use me, but then his game stuff got cancelled, before we even got to the planning stages.

Have you tried creating a video game-y theme out of thin air, not connected to a project, and if so would you like to share your work with us?

I sort of have, and would love to share it, but... I have no recorded versions of it, and my sheet music was all on a laptop that was stolen years ago. But now that you mention it, I should do that again.

When was the last time you played Legend of Dragoon, all the way from start to finish?

Beginning of last year some time.

Do you admit Legend of Dragoon as a guilty pleasure, given all its flaws, or would you seriously defend LoD as a well-designed, well-written J-RPG?

I'd say somewhere in the middle. It may be just nostalgia talking, but there was a lot to that game that got to me personally. There were also some WTF moments that temporarily suspended my suspension of disbelief, but overall I enjoyed. So, subjectively, I think it's awesome. But I wouldn't say it's THE best, just MY best.

Have you ever worn lipstick? Sidenote: I did once and I felt so pretty and sexy. :awesome: The second time the novelty had completely worn off though.

Technically yes. It was for a costume for a choir event, in which I went as a sort of undertaker/corpse. I had lipstick, eye shadow, face powder, "blood" running from my mouth, painted nails, the lot. Actually for a while I used to paint my guitar nails (which is when for short periods I decide to grow the nails on my right hand (except the pinkie) to better play classic guitar).

Where in the world is Carmen San Diego?

On a similar note, where's Wally?

Sorry, I left them in the pockets of a jacket I gave away...

What's your confectionary and soft drink of choice?

Hmm... Custard slices, and mountain dew (but only if it has brandy in it).

If you had to pick a single game to play over and over and over again for the rest of your days, what would it be?

As much as I love Legend, I'll not pick it, because I want different experiences. So I would have to say probably Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which I've already completed at least 5 times.

Favourite game protagonists?

Dart (Legend of Dragoon); Adam Jensen (Deus Ex Human Revolution); Sora (Kingdom Hearts); the entire clone team from Star Wars Republic Commando, but particularly Sev; and that's all I can think of at this moment.

Favourite game antagonists?

Ooh, that's a tough one. I just always love hating on them, so I just focus on the killing of them. Ooh, ooh, I like Xehanort from Birth By Sleep, mostly because LEONARD NIMOY!! And GLaDOS from Portal.

Favourite NPC in a Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts game?

Cid in Kingdom Hearts :D.

Favourite Keyblade design? Actually, if you had to wield a keyblade, which keychain would you use?

Ooh, I love Oblivion. And also Fenrir. But Oblivion is my absolute favorite.

What got you into J-RPGs?

Probably W-RPGs, actually. I started my RPG Journey with Icewind Dale 2 and Kings Quest 8, and from there I needed more. When I couldn't get my hands on more games because moneh, I started downloading Gameboy games and emulating them on mah PC, and the only RPG's I could find were J-RPGs. And thus it happened.

What attracted you to FFVII and what's kept you around it since?

My first experience of the FF world was FF Tactics Advance, on the Gameboy. From there I just had to find more, tried VII but got stuck due to broken emulation, then at some point I saw ACC, loved it, but forgot about that world entirely because reasons. Then I showed Cormé ACC, and the two of us fueled each other in an ever increasing FF obsession.

Least favourite gaming genre?

Probably fighters like Tekken? I'm not really sure. I'll still play around on them if that's all I got, but I'd rather do most else. Second least is probably games like Sims, but I do like character generation because that's like and RPG, somewhat. I even write bios for the characters.

Three favourite songs from Kindom Hearts?

The Thirteenth Struggle, The Encounter, and Tension Rising.

Do you, by chance, have a Darth Maul lightsaber? If so, how often have you let your inner child come out and just swung it around like a mad wee fecker, breaking any and all porcelain around you?

Sadly, I do not, though I will get one eventually. I have made my own versions with sticks and the like, but I always do my mad-wee-fecker swinging outside. But I do it properly :wacky:

...Cause I totally didn't do the same thing when I found my Qui Qon Jin lightsaber a few years ago...

... Okay now we need to have a duel. We just have to! :monster:

....Were your boobs in fact bigger than your sister's....?

Why yes, yes they were. Only partially my fault, my sister is pretty flat-chested. :D

... Okay now we need to have a duel. We just have to!
Here, I'll set the music for you.

COMMENCE THE FIGHTING!

- What made you pick Darth as an alias?

- Are you a big Star Wars geek? If so, what are your feelings on the old Extended Universe being declared non-canon?

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Can you/have you ever bitten your toenails?

The G'randiest' Daddy

Teh Bunneh of Doom
AKA
Darth
- What made you pick Darth as an alias?

As far as characters go, I like some of the Darths. It's not all just about sadism and cruelty. Some of them were damn good generals and warriors too, and quite a few of them are more interesting characters than many Council members. I have a strong leaning towards Grey Jedi, and quite a few of them were characterized as Darth by the regular Jedi.

- Are you a big Star Wars geek? If so, what are your feelings on the old Extended Universe being declared non-canon?

Why yes, yes I am. I wouldn't say I'm the biggest, as it were, but I'm certainly more passionate about it than most people. I feel that as much as I love a lot of the SWEU, I'm fine with them taking a new direction. Admittedly, a lot of the EU, most notable the stuff with Han and Leia's children and the Yuuzhan Vong, I just plain don't like. So it's good for me to see someone with "authority", as it were, to take the reigns. The EU was cobbled together by various authors, not all with the same ideas or ability. Still a lot of good stories out there, though.

Can you/have you ever bitten your toenails?

Not sure if I still can, I was flexible enough to reach, but I never tried to do that with my special powers... :D

Ghost X

How are you?

What you doing?

How's the weather?

What you doing tomorrow?

What did you do on the weekend?

What would you recommend a person if they kept asking you uninspired questions?

The G'randiest' Daddy

Teh Bunneh of Doom
AKA
Darth
How are you?

Well I seem to have bitten my tongue and it's swelling up, so not super great on that front. Also I have a headache. But otherwise I feel alright.

What you doing?

I'm at work, but it's a slow day so I'm on here too.

How's the weather?

I genuinely have no idea - I work in a windowless office, with only one door out onto a windowless passage. I have to go downstairs in order to weather.

What you doing tomorrow?

More of the same. Work. Battle for Wesnoth at work. Work a bit. Wait to go home and play PC.

What did you do on the weekend?

On friday we waited for Cormé's parents to come home from their trip, "braaied" some lovely meat, and went home. On saturday we played PC and watched the original Tron movie. On Sunday we drove with the in-laws to go visit other in-laws, it was quite fun. Some of them flew in from Canada for a visit, so it was nice to meet them and everything. On monday (still weekend this time) I played the sections of Icewind Dale 2 that I posted yesterday. And also finished Tron 2.0, the video game.

What would you recommend a person if they kept asking you uninspired questions?

Think of what you wish people had asked you, and what you would like to share with people, and ask that. Find common interest points to discuss.

Top Bottom