Minecraft: The Movie

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
minecraft-screenshot_1920.0_cinema_720.0.jpg

Warner Bros. Pictures is working with Minecraft developer Mojang on a movie based on the sandbox game, said Mojang co-founder Markus "Notch" Persson on Twitter today.

"Someone is trying leak the fact that we're working with Warner Brothers on a potential Minecraft Movie," said Persson. "I wanted to be the leak!"

Shortly afterward, Persson confirmed the announcement in an email to Polygon.

"It's for real. I think every part of that tweet was real, including me wanting to be the one to spill the news about a potential movie," said Persson.

He added, parenthetically, "Also, I [am] very well aware that this might be Minecraft jumping the shark, but how often do you get to be part of making a movie?" Earlier this month, Mojang shut down the Kickstarter for a Minecraft fan film.

Deadline reports that Warner Bros. acquired the rights from Mojang, and that the studio is working on a live-action film with Roy Lee and Jill Messick as producers. Lee is well-acquainted with licensed films about block-based properties, having most recently produced The Lego Movie. Persson told Polygon that he did not want to comment on the contract for the Minecraft film rights or on personnel that Warner Bros. may be hiring.

A report from last November indicated that Warner Bros. was in the midst of negotiations to bring another wildly popular game, Imangi Studios' Temple Run, to the big screen.

Earlier this week, Persson announced on Twitter that the original Minecraft had reached 100 million registered users. Mojang has sold more than 14 million copies of Minecraft on computers, more than 10 million on Xbox 360, more than 1 million on PlayStation 3 and more than 10 million on mobile devices.

Sauce.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
On that same note, just because Minecraft is pretty neat and has a pretty decent merchandise business and fan movies going on, doesn't mean a movie's a good idea.

Or if it is, at least the should make it every minecraft ever:

* start game
* discover after half an hour you can hit trees with your fist and stuff comes out
* nightfall
* hissing sound
* turn around
* game over
* THE END

Lee is well-acquainted with licensed films about block-based properties, having most recently produced The Lego Movie.
So? How the fuck is that similar? It's like saying Genndy Tartakovsky would be good for Frozen cause he has experience with animation-based movies.
Last I checked, one film doesn't qualify as "well-acquainted". This is just hollywood saying "wow people love blocky shit. What else blocky is out there that people like? Minecraft? Sure make a movie. They're gonna fucking love it."

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Ill reserve judgment for when the movie is out.

If it bombs , oh well its no skin off my back no point in complaining online.
If its entertaining then awesome good for them, just because it seems like a cash in doesn't mean its going to be terrible or worth nit picking words in an article that the producers/marcus had no hand in writing.

Ghost X

I'd like to withhold judgement too until I see a trailer, beyond saying it isn't really a movie that needs to be made.

Top Bottom