• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Mog's (Semi) Daily Game Recommendations (Snatcher)

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
So I've played a lot of games over the years, right? Like, a lot. A shitload. And I've noticed that some of them don't get the love they deserve, they DO get the love they deserved but nobody's heard of them here, and sometimes well, I just like to give games a good shout out.

I like to give good work their due, and like I've said, I've played a lot of games, so I'm going to try this topic out. Basically, every so often, I'm going to post about a game or game series, and I'm going to tell you why you should check it out. Then, you guys hopefully talk about it. I highly recommend you check out every single game I talk about if you're able to. I have notoriously good taste. :awesome: Sound good? Here goes! First game is...

Suikoden (series)

293ks1w.jpg

Suikoden as a JRPG series is easily unlike any other you'll ever play. With five main entries in the series (Tierkries, the latest one doesn't count. Not because I dislike it, but it's not in the same universe/setting), this series is THE definitive, most bestest, JRPG series ever in terms of worldbuilding.

All five of the games takes place in the same world, but the sense of scale in the Suikoden world is so massive, that each entry takes place in its own country/geographical area/etc and its own place on the timeline. There's no other JRPG that has a storied history with events, wars, people (the series has about a thousand characters combined over the games), and concepts.

But it's not complicated! Every game focuses on its own narrative neatly and cleanly, with the main characters of each title focusing on how to stop a war, win a civil war, overcome their fate, or whatever.

With that said, these games have a political/war overtone in the series, with every title having something to do with a regional/national conflict, and you might just find one country that one main character helped save in one game, being the antagonist in another. Conversely, the Suikoden games that take place close in the timeline often have returning characters and friends as well.

The gameplay is pretty cool as well, with the main draw is that every single game has 108 characters to recruit. Not all of them are playable in terms of battle, but with the object of the games usually being to recruit an army and build up a fighting force/headquarters, it's fun as hell seeing what new contribution the chef/inventor/knight/supply guy will make when you get him on your side. Not to mention the various battle systems in each game, from your traditional RPG battles, to full scale war systems.

The Suikoden series are noted for being kinda rare nowadays, ESPECIALLY the second one, but the newer ones are easier to come across, and the first one is now on sale on the PSN. Worst come to worst, emulate dat shit.

Discuss!

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
HA HA I HAVE NOT PLAYED THIS YET BUT I DID BEAT SUIKO 3

Maybe i will buy it when PSN goes back to being semi-coherent.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
MAYBE I SHOULD JUST LET YOU BORROW MINE YO

/has all the suikos except tactics and tierkrap

btw my favorite "returning" characters are always Jeanne and the teleportation girl, especially in Suiko III where
she just sort of falls out of the sky as you're walking along the path, and then later she meets herself alongside the road (or you meet a different her, I don't fucking remember because I haven't played it in years and I kind of forget how that part played out but IT WAS FUNNY SHUT UP)

Last edited:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
The original Suikoden was the first game I beat all by myself :'>

Great memories that game. I remember loving how as you gained characters the castle would build. Unfortunately I never finished the second one.

So yeah. Great game. Seconding the rec.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Keep in mind that this isn't just the "I talk about vidya games for nothin" thread. This is me literally recommending you guys buy or at least play these games! Whether you're familiar with them or played them or not, give my posts a look see, investigate the game, look at it on Wikipedia, or whatever, and post your thoughts here.

I know it might be tricky to discuss a game you've never played, but discuss whether or not it interests you or ask questions or whatever.

For a little help, here's a great encyclopedia of Suikoden information.

http://gensopedia.duefiumi.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Kikyou

just a fleeting memory
AKA
M-Mira, crackitlackin, Izaya Orihara, SAILOR NARU, Sharon Rainsworth, Mara, Brosuke Hanamura, Commissioner Gordon, Santa Claus, Lenneth Valkyrie

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
If you have a PS3, the first one is only a few button presses away. If not, well...at least it isn't as rare as the second one.

And why aren't you surprised? I love Suikoden, but I think you're thinking of another RPG that I'm known to drool over!

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
First two games in the series are awesome, especially the second. I still haven't played the rest. I think I'm going to replay the first two and then start the rest of the series after I get my PS2 set back up.

Also I really think Konami were trolling us when they made a PSP reissue of Suikoden II and never bothered releasing it outside Japan.

Darkbeat

Nether Gate
Suikoden is one of the most underrated RPG's ever, but seriously one of the best that I have ever played. Though each game does quite well as a stand-alone game, they all connect in the bigger picture, which makes it even more worthwhile to play the game.

I agree with Aaron that Konami must've been trolling us with the PSP version of Suikoden II.

Got my hands on the first two for PSone and I am still enjoying them. Now my hands are itching again to play the games.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
This reminds me that I need to go back and get the last few party members in the first game. I WAS ONLY MISSING LIKE THREE BAWWWW :(

As for the rarity of S2, SWEET JEGUS DICK I KNOW MAN. I only have it because my mom loves me godsly, and got it for me for my birthday a few years back. And I know it had to have cost her OVER 9000 dollars, because that shit was still SEALED. ;_;

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Xenogears

Xenogears_box.jpg

I've said it before and I'll say it again; Xenogears is probably the most important RPG ever released. I don't mean financially or blockbuster in terms of FFVII (which obviously would be more important under that metric). However, I mean important in the aspect that even though its flawed as a game (weird second disk, gameplay has a lot of neat concepts but could be more polished, some translation issues), its the definition of a flawed masterpiece. At its best this game will literally touch your soul.

From Wikipedia;

Xenogears follows protagonist Fei Fong Wong and several others as they journey to uncover the truth behind mysterious, cabalistic entities operating in their world. The principles and philosophies of Friedrich Nietzsche, Sigmund Freud, Carl Jung and Jacques Lacan influence the plot, character design, and world of Xenogears.

Additionally, the symbols, theological concepts, and devotional practices of several world religions are represented in fictionalized forms in the game. Major psychological themes are the nature of identity and human memory, particularly as these relate to the phenomenon of dissociative identity disorder. The relationship between humanity and machines is central to the game's plot, as indicated by the presence of giant robots dubbed "gears," which each playable character can control.

While most RPGs are entertaining, Xenogears not only manages an entertaining narrative, but its without the doubt the most complex RPG of its time (or ever, next to its spiritual successor, Xenosaga (and no, Gears and Saga do not take place in the same universe)). Just a few concepts and events of the 10,000 year Xenogears setting can fit into several Final Fantasies, and the content of Perfect Works, the XG version of an Ultimania, is even more in depth.

And the music, oh my god, the music. No disrespect to Nobuo, but Mitsuda lays it the fuck down. The only title that tops this in terms of music is Chrono Cross (also composed by Mitsuda)

When you really get into it, Xenogears is really a spiritual experience, man. And beyond that, its a fun enjoyable game. I cannot recommend it enough. Please play it.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Surprisingly, I've never played Xenogears. ;.;

Mostly because GOOD GOD it's so expensive on Ebay - and I don't have a PS3.

booooooo

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I wonder why having no PAL disc is a problem. I mean, most people nowadays have HD televisions. And those who don't, start getting with the times dammit!
No one gives a shit about NTSC and PAL anymore.

Also, Squaresoft's PAL conversions had always been horrible anyway. The games ran slower and had huge PAL bars.

Also, guess that makes chances for Parasite Eve 1 in the PSN rather slim as well.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I have Xenogears on my PS3 and I'm in the process of playing it, though several other games have been distracting me. I'm a significant way in and have started to realize just how long this game is.

I am enjoying it, the bit with the simultaneous fighting tournament and viaduct infiltration was very cool, for example. But I haven't quite been hit with the "I must play it!" bug yet. Prerendered backgrounds definitely aged better than real-time PS1 rendering, but I don't think I'm so shallow that that's the reason. The music is good, but so far his work on Xenosaga I spoke to me more.

But we'll see, I am interested and fully intend to keep playing, I just haven't been swept away yet.

Kikyou

just a fleeting memory
AKA
M-Mira, crackitlackin, Izaya Orihara, SAILOR NARU, Sharon Rainsworth, Mara, Brosuke Hanamura, Commissioner Gordon, Santa Claus, Lenneth Valkyrie
If you have a PS3, the first one is only a few button presses away. If not, well...at least it isn't as rare as the second one.

And why aren't you surprised? I love Suikoden, but I think you're thinking of another RPG that I'm known to drool over!

I don't have a credit card though.

I'm saying I'm not surprised since you've already said you liked suikoden in a few threads. :monster:

I agree with a lot of what you said, especially concerning Mitsuda's music. Like what he did with Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, the first two Shadow Hearts games, and Xenosaga. Some of my favorite picks out of the soundtrack are:

And the Cried soundtrack is pretty good too.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Ah. Yep, you're still in the beginning lull. Yeah, just wait. Shit gets real.

Of course shit gets real a lot throughout the game, I mean, a fucking lot. But don't worry, it won't be long until you're going "what the fuck just happened right now"

Keep playing and let me know when you hit (one of) those points!

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
(and no, Gears and Saga do not take place in the same universe)).

Though they probably take place in adjacent Universii, and I could see the end of one causing the start of the other.

Also, as evidenced by my current name and Avatar, I wholeheartedly endorse Mog's recommendation. This game is an excellent blend of all the elements that make a great RPG, and it has a giant robot fighting game besides. Yes, if you get bored of the endgame, you can take your robot out for a little bloodsport.

Force, you have a long way to go, and it just keeps getting better. Keep at it.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Red Dead Redemption

Red_Dead_Redemption.jpg

Stop reading this post and play this game right now. Literally log the fuck off and start turning tricks if you have to in order to buy this game if you haven't already.

I held off on playing this game for the longest time because I was lazy, but I knew it was good, but until I bought it a few weeks back, I didn't know how good. This game is excellent. Like, beyond just good.

Set in 1911, historically the final years of the Wild West and the beginning years of the heavy industrialization that changed the face of the American way, it features John Marston, a former criminal and gunslinging outlaw, trying to shoot his way back to his family after government agents kidnap them and force him to do their dirty work. Beyond that, I wouldn't dare spoil the rest of the story, but I will tell you that everything about this game is startlingly well done.

The visuals are amazingly done, capturing the old west in color, environment, and style. The music is nothing short of amazing, capturing spaghetti westerns but with a subtle, modern twist. And most strikingly, the narrative and setting itself is fantastic. It manages to wrap every trope, convention, and cool ass shit about old Westerns into one and it does it masterfully. The cynical, redemption seeking, perpetually polite yet dangerous, and unexpectedly wise/intelligent (for him to call himself 'semi-literate') John Marston himself easily, easily sets the bar for future protagonists to come.

Originally an experimental project by Rockstar San Diego, it originally wasn't supposed to make that much money, but it was released to extremely high critical acclaim and over two million copies in the first two months of its release. I haven't played the Undead expansion yet, but trust me, I will.

I really can't recommend this game enough. Go play it now.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
The Old West has never interested me. I literally never liked anything about it or anything associated with it.

That being said I had a fun old time with this game. It is made brilliantly. If it weren't for my dislike for the setting then I'd definitely be agreeing with pretty much all of what Mog said.

Top Bottom