• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Moments in video games that you think are badass

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Coming at you guys with a Dungeonmaster tier thread and thread title :monster:

This thread is basically for moments in games, set pieces, or even actual IRL things that may have happened with a game that you really adore.

So I was hanging out with some old friends and the conversation lead to E3, and then to the new Dragon Ball Z fighting game coming out. We all used to be really into Fighting Games growing up and were very interested in the fighting game community, or basically the esports side of Fighting Games. Back then it was very grass roots but anyway.

Talking about how amazing the new DBZ game looks both as far as graphics and as mechanics goes , eventually lead to us talking about some of our favorite moments from old tournaments.

Inevitably the discussion lead to us all conceding that Moment 37 is possibly one of the greatest moments to happen in the scene.

So just looking at this I'm sure it looks pretty crazy even without knowing the details, but boy when you break down the details. It gets crazier. This moment in gaming is actual real magic imo. And I hope my rusty frame data and lingo might be able to shed some light on that.

So for context in Street Fighter 3rd strike Chun Li was basically the shit. Most of her moves had very short frame "start ups" meaning the window to punish her attacks was extremely short. Furthermore she had excellent range, as you can see from the clip her kicks cover many units of space in the game.

In this clip you can see that Chun Li (Justin Wong) used this frame and ranged advantage to bring Ken (Daigo, one of the greatest FG players to ever live) to a near loss.

Furthermore she had a health pool advantage in addition to built up "meter" , meaning she could super at any moment.

3rd strike is pretty controversial because it introduced Parry Mechanics to the series. In 3rd strike you could parry basically any attack, if done successfully you don't take damage and you can build meter as well. Where as blocking means you take a bit of damage (chip damage), and are stunned a bit.

The catch to parrying is that you have 7 frames to accomplish it. 3rd strike ran at 60 frames a second to give context.

Furthermore in order to Parry Chun Li's super Daigo would have to input the parry before the animation on the Super started. (Or possibly completed, i can't remember if you just had to parry before the "flash" on the super happened lol)

Essentially he would have to predict the execution of the Super and input the first parry in a 7 frame window ahead of the actual execution.

After parrying the initial Kick he would have parry 13 more kicks to survive, all of which do not have a simple rhythm.

Additionally in order to survive he would have to jump out and predict Chun Li's "anti air" and parry it as well, before he would even have the opportunity to fight back and execute a perfect combo.

All in all making for 15 perfectly predicted, timed and executed sub second, 7 frame inputs. All while a hotel conference room full of your peers are losing their minds behind you.

It's truly magic.

Last edited:

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Okay that's legitimately 1000x more awesome knowing the mechanics of it.

I don't watch too much in the way of game competitions or eSports but I think everybody by now probably heard about the epic Summit1G fail in Counter-Strike. Lands the final clutch kill only to walk through his own fire and lose the match.

And I mentioned this a while back but one of the greatest stories I ever heard about online gaming was in EVE Online: The Bloodbath of B-R5RB:

And the somewhat lesser but still massive Battle of Asakai. No good recap vid of this that I found so here's some teamspeak from the event:

The reason these two stories above fascinate me is just the sheer idea that players create these moments. These epic battles were naturally occurring - they weren't raids or pre-set events these were free-form PVP encounters part of larger conflicts based on a natural war within the game. I realize stuff like this is probably exceedingly rare within the game itself, but to have been able to be part of that encounter when it happened would have been one of the highlights of my gaming life. For a while I considered playing EVE Online because of hearing about that and ads like this:

And yes... before Yop shares, here's a parody of it:

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Beating Ruby Weapon without touching a single command:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
@Lucleid: Your tag was busted. I fixed it for ya. :monster:

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
man that 3rd strike shit is legendary

Yup. Even better is the context of it as well. It was a very east versus west clash of the titans thing. Justin has always been a proficient fighting game player even picked up multiple first place wins at the same Evo (Evo has tons of games to compete in). Where as Daigo is , and even back then was just a living legend in the scene. He was "that guy" from another country who people say just tears any game to shreds.

So when they met up even without the full parry happening it was going to be a legendary match up.

Here's a nice video on it. Over all it's just a great example of all the stars aligning for one single moment of greatness

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
DMC3 still gives me wood from my own achievements. I grinded that very first level loads of times, getting S-rank and shit and farm all the red thingies whatever it was. Agni and Wossname (the double sword things) were my go-to weapons. I should get the re-release at some point.

Top Bottom