Movie/TV Soundtracks

Pixel

The Pixie King
Any favourites? Can be score, or licenced music, etc.

I really love the music in Garden State and The Last Kiss. Zach Braff has a really great sense of what works, and great taste in music.

I think alot of filmmakers have tried to emulate the kind of soundtrack of Garden State to give more of an indy feel to their movies, whether it fits or not. But Garden State's really has a magic quality, and introduced me to alot of new music, especially Josh Radin, Frou Frou/Imogen Heap and Remy Zero. I think breff won a Golden Globe for the album:huh:

Another great one is Forrest Gump, Score and soundtrack. Its almost a musical, or a musical journey, because the music tells you where you are and the time period. And its just awsome music.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
The Fountain arguably has the best soundtrack to any film I know, with one exception I find every song on the score simply breathtaking.

invisiblestories

Pro Adventurer
AKA
luxembourg, alice
^ I totally agree with that.

Clint Mansell's Requiem for a Dream, Yann Tiersen with Fabolous Destiny of Amelie Poulain and Good bye Lenin! I do prefer Amelie from far though. It's just amazing.

Also, François Girand's Red Violin with John Corigliano. Thank god I came across to the DVD in my living room a few months ago. I didn't had the slightest clue I possessed neither the said film nor I actually heard of it before. It's divine, one of the best ost I've listened to so far.

Last edited:

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Alongside the ones already mentioned, the Pan's Labyrinth OST (composed by Javier Navarrete) is really really awesome. Also, Ennio Morricone's soundtracks are pretty much always quality; his score for The Good, the Bad and the Ugly in particular is a masterpiece.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
LOST has some pretty outstanding moments over the 5 years of its production. A lot of it only works in the context of seeing the show on screen, but there are some fairly beautiful pieces that work just as well as stand alone music. Locke'd Out Again, Parting Words and There's No Place Like Home, to name a few.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Yeah, good call on that; I wasn't even thinking of TV soundtracks when I made my first post.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
I don't watch a whole lot of TV besides LOST tbh, so I'm kind of out of ideas now ;.;

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
I actually have watched a fair few shows, but I can't think of anything else where the soundtrack played such an integral role tbh. The X-Files maybe, it helps to establish a really creepy mood when the script calls for it.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Lost has had pretty much the same repeating tracks / themes for five years, it gets kinda old after a while imho :/.

Pixel

The Pixie King
I liked in the first season when it would end with Hurly listening to music. One song in particular... Joe Purdy - The City... i think. Later seasons have been mainly background.

Smallville and Scrubs have always had great music imo.

Edley

Pray for Sound
AKA
Issac Dian, Dudley, Chev Chelios
The Zidane doc soundtack by Mogwai and the Friday Night Lights by Explosions in the Sky come to mind.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Ulver's soundtracks are fairly awesome, i'maho. Still need to see the films they were created for.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Ulver's soundtracks are fairly awesome, i'maho. Still need to see the films they were created for.

I skipped through some fragments of Svidd Neger. Seems a very odd movie, really, with some fat bloke wanking in at least two scenes, probably more, :monster:. I doubt it's any good, but eh, its soundtrack is pretty win.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Oh, interesting. Maybe it won't completely suck then, or at least it'll have one worthwhile feature to it.

crevaxa

Pro Adventurer
AKA
MDL_0
Its pretty ironic that Ulver is making the score, considering that Garm claims they were never a part of the black metal scene.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Yeah I'd been thinking about that myself.

Also the new Star Trek film has a really good score, even if they don't use any of the classic themes until the end.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Also the new Star Trek film has a really good score, even if they don't use any of the classic themes until the end.
From what i remember they elude to it when the title comes up, but its very subtle, and a modern take on it.

Speaking of modern takes on themes, i really love what john ottman did with X-men 2 and superman returns.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Its pretty ironic that Ulver is making the score, considering that Garm claims they were never a part of the black metal scene.

I call 'bollox' on that, considering their first three albums were 'BM scene', pretty much (minus their escape to folk), and (from my own discography) they re-made their very first album only recently. Note that that's all based on the music collection I only recently acquired though.

I'm pretty sure they just don't want to be identified with black metal, which I can get into, :monster:.

Wonder what they'll make of it though. Both the soundtrack and the movie. I've read the first few chapters of said book a few years back, :monster:.

crevaxa

Pro Adventurer
AKA
MDL_0
I'm pretty sure they just don't want to be identified with black metal, which I can get into, :monster:.

This is most likely the reason why Garm claims they were never black metal. I can somewhat understand why he wouldnt want the band to be associated with all the murderers/church burners.

But yes, Ulver was definitely black metal in their early years.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Yeh I agree lol!!!!1!

Although to be honest, they're much better doing electronic / ambient / avant garde / whatever it is they've done. Their early BM isn't bad (certainly not considering they were 'new' back then), but it doesn't make them stand out much.

Top Bottom