• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Moving servers again

Lex

Administrator
Yay! Things are noticeably snappier, thanks Yop <3

Also hooray for test environment also. Sneaky ninja <3

Fangu

Great Old One
YAY GO YOP

f48aa1fdf999f4ae91ed40708f1e806c.gif

nice work yo :monster:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
The front page is currently down (blank) for me, and the banner isn't loading on the forum.

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Same here, that is quaint. I'll investigate.

edit: Fixed, I broke it earlier trying to get FTP working again; I changed permissions of all files / folders in wp-content to 774 instead of 775; this effectively caused the files in there (plugins, themes, images, the lot) to no longer be accessible to the webserver and thus bork everything. Sorry about that, <3

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Probably not important, but, I've done a thing that should improve security just a little bit; I moved the TLS database user and password into an environment variable instead of plaintext in the .php files themselves. It's only a very shallow improvement though, if anyone's able to inject php code they can retrieve it with a simple var_dump($_SERVER);, but still.

I should find a way to encrypt a password instead.

I'll see to setting up a test environment for testing out themes today, methinks.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Alright I've done a few things:

* I've set up a new subdomain, http://test.thelifestream.net, which is a 1:1 copy of our current environment, just chucked into a different folder on our production server. Separate files, separate database, everything else should be the same. We can use this to develop / test themes, new forum software, etc. I also now know how to set up subdomains, so if we'd like to host anything besides TLS, we can now do so (like idk, separate game sites or whatever)

* I've reinstated the backup procedure. Unlike the previous iteration though, it now uses just a Dropbox uploader, instead of the whole Dropbox application which had the downside of putting any files I put in there (like my password database) onto the server unless I added a specific exception rule. This solution should be safer (for me), and probably less heavy on the server too because instead of the whole 'sync' action where it has to do a load of checks and shit, it just does a one-way 'upload' action. I'm running a backup now, see how it works out (if you've had trouble accessing TLS in the past few minutes, my bad).

Backups will be made every Monday morning at 8 my time (7 AM GMT or something), so if TLS is unresponsive or slow at that times, it's the backup being made.

I've looked into using Amazon Glacier or S3 to upload the files to, which would be a lot cheaper (Dropbox is $15 / month for me atm), but it was a hassle to set up and rather esoteric apparently, or, I just don't get it.

Anyway, that.

l'edit: I think I can make the part where it compresses and uploads the backup a bit nicer on the server, i.e. in such a way that the processes that create pages for you lot get priority, by calling the gzip and upload methods via the nice command. Also the thing is uploading now, it uses CURL instead of the Dropbox process like on the old service, and uses just a few % of CPU.

Top Bottom