Mulan - Live Action Remake (2020)

I'm guessing they have families with kids in mind for that pricing since the only way this is an acceptable deal is if you would've taken your whole family to the theater to see this, otherwise $30 + subscription for a movie you don't even get to own is ridiculous. I'm really hoping locking early access streaming behind a subscription doesn't become a thing. I can, unfortunately, see Disney getting away with it, especially for stuff like Marvel and Star Wars - people will absolutely pay to see those early.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
How appropriate we're having this discussion regarding Disney on the same day they and other distribution corporations with the help of the current Justice Department, finally succeed in demolishing the anti-trust ruling that prevented them from monopolizing and forcing theatre chains into one-sided agreements of distribution that kept them from hosting other movies, and significantly cost movie theaters more money to show their movies.

This is really fucking bad. And what a coincidence that it happens when Disney merged with Fox to become the largest license holding film studio in the world. What a coincidence :monster:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Without these restraints on the market, American ingenuity is again free to experiment with different business models that can benefit consumers.
remember when netflix started getting big and people were like, this is a revolutionary new business model! it's the end of cable, and cheaper too!

and now everyone is getting their own streaming service they want you to pay for

get ready for each distributor having their own theatre chains where they only show their own movies and charge their own prices because you have no choice, you want to see avengers 12: thor is a frog now, don't you?

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
The justifications for their pro-corporate, anti-consumer decisions that are purely about consolidating and expanding profits just feel like naked gaslighting now. They can't really believe the shit they're saying as justification, can they?

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
https://movieweb.com/mulan-disney-plus-subscribers-unwilling-to-pay/

Obviously this isn't really indicative of anything, but most of the response I've seen from the $30 price tag has been either incredulity or mockery.

For reference: iirc (its been months since I've been to go to the cinema, and years since I've worked at one :( ) a regular screening at the big movie chain here is $13.99. A 3D screening adds $5 to that, and IMAX is $7. Tuesday is "cheap day," and ticket prices are $5 off on every screening on those days. There's also a program where if you want to upgrade your ticket to a "super ticket," which entails going on the app and pay $5 to own a digital copy of the movie you saw when it gets released for home (I've never done this so not sure how it works really, but I'm fairly certain this still applies if you go on cheap day).

In that case, a general IMAX ticket (at full price) + owning a digital copy still comes short of $30. That's also in CAD, so its probably around $20 USD.

So yeah... fuck off Disney. Really wanting this to backfire on them, but I'm not holding out hope :/

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
The justifications for their pro-corporate, anti-consumer decisions that are purely about consolidating and expanding profits just feel like naked gaslighting now. They can't really believe the shit they're saying as justification, can they?
i tried reading that statement to divine what point he was trying to make, but i don't get it. what does the blockbusters of the past being gone with the wind or the wizard of oz have anything to do it? how does 'the way ameriicans enjoy their movies has changed' relate to not letting studios own theatre chains or force them to buy multiple films to get major titles? will they find new innovative ways to dump films they think will flop on cinemas by using big releases that are more likely to be successes as ransom, like making you buy and screen the mummy remake if you want the new mission impossible? will the blocks be so big it would mean small cinemas won't have screens left to show any other studio's films? will they be able to invest in chains and not buy other studio's films, to enhance the cinema going experience for audiences? will you have to make some kind of deal with a big studio to get your small indie film into their cinemas

and what perfect timing, when many chains will be struggling financially and ripe for a buyout by big studios (or just going under and leaving you with no choice but to stream from their own services)

if you were to buy a family ticket (3 kids max, 4 people total max) at the large multiplex here that'd be £20 for a standard ticket so that's roughly $30 (£23), and more if you were to get imax tickets (£40 so closer to $50+). but you're also not getting imax when you're streaming at home and you're not saving much if you aren't taking a family. you can get memberships at cinemas for about £15 a month that lets you see as many films as you want and not just mulan over and over at my house.

Last edited:

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Mulan was one of my favorite Disney movies, I might catch up with this eventually. Trailer was nice.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Mulan (2020) as a whole is solid if a bit rough a few spots, mainly in how certain characters react to certain developments, that's not to say there's no sound logic behind their actions because it's there, just that the movie could have used an extra minute or two to make it a bit more clear.

Out of all the LA Disney remakes, this one drops in the stronger half of them, if on the weaker side of that spectrum. It has some interesting new additions (mainly wuxia-ish stuff) and can be frustrating that it doesn't go as hard on that stuff as one would like.

So if you look at it exclusively from that (wuxia) lens then it's a quite tame version of other stronger (wuxia) movies. But, when taken as a whole product is still a solid product but with some unrealised potential. I say give it a watch if you have slight interest on it.

Rating: 3/4

-----
On twitter pressing the like button an tweet with the hashtag #mulan has an interesting easter egg.
EhFu70mXcAATtxN

The Blindfolded

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
The Birdwatcher
it's frustration at seeing everything I loved and valued as a child being rechurned for profit.

That's what Square does. THAT'S LITERALLY WHAT THEY DO FOR MUCH OF THE TIME.

Top Bottom