Multi-author novelisation of FFVII: if you write you are welcome to join us

After talking to Vader about his idea for the comic ( which I wouldn't have been able to be part of, not being able to draw and stuff), I was struck with the idea that it should be possible to do the same thing with the fandom's fan fiction writers. I have checked with Vader and he's okay with me borrowing his idea for my own medium. The two projects - novelisation and graphic novel - would complement each other (I hope).

I have floated the idea with the fanfic community on tumblr and so far I have about 30 writers interested in taking part. Once I know exactly how many people want to be involved in the project, I can split the game's narrative into that many sections and allocate them to people. The overall timeline for the project is a year and a two months. We hope to "publish" the finished novelisation to coincide with the release of the remake.

Anybody who wants to be involved is most welcome. There's no "talent bar" anybody has to pass. The project's spirit is inclusiveness and its purpose is showcase the various styles and voices of our fandom's writers.

I made a google doc to explain the project. People who want to sign up can do so at the bottom of the google doc.

I don't think we can call this a tls project, though; most of my contact with fellow fanfictioneers takes place at tumblr. It isn't even really "my" project. I'm just the coordinator.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Call me a sceptic / prick, but, aren't there like a dozen FFVII novels out there yet? What would make this one different or better?

This one would be finished.

Also, the others are written by one person. This one would have a different author for each chapter. It's not something that's being written for readers; it's being written by fanfic writers for other fanfic writers. I guess the you could compare it to a quilt where everybody brings one piece of material that's meaningful to them and sews it together with everyone else's.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
This one would be finished.

Also, the others are written by one person. This one would have a different author for each chapter. It's not something that's being written for readers; it's being written by fanfic writers for other fanfic writers. I guess the you could compare it to a quilt where everybody brings one piece of material that's meaningful to them and sews it together with everyone else's.

While I'm here to squee. I actually did have a finished novelization but as I began writing it in 2006 when my writing was barely passable, I'd love a do-over. If this gets off the ground, count me in. Love a good collab.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Isn't mr Ite's novelization going to pop up in a few months fully completed and everything? If this is going to be like a fanfic novelization version of the round robin thing then where is it going to be posted exactly? As enthusiastic as tumblr fanfic writers can be, I can never find anything on that site.

Isn't mr Ite's novelization going to pop up in a few months fully completed and everything? If this is going to be like a fanfic novelization version of the round robin thing then where is it going to be posted exactly? As enthusiastic as tumblr fanfic writers can be, I can never find anything on that site.

Is it? The last thing I heard, he was re-working book 1 of the project. But even if he did finish it, even if there were a dozen finished novelisations of the game, this one would still be worth doing because we're doing it for fun, for ourselves.

I don't know where we're going to post it in the end. Maybe on AO3, or maybe we'll make a website for it.

@ Jason - I didn't know you'd written a complete novelisation! As far as I am aware, it is the only complete novel version of the game. Congratulations - that was a hell of an achievement. We'd still love to have you join us, though.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I'm on my phone so this'll be brief: I'm in. :monster:

Also Mr Ite is currently working on part 2 of is book. Part 1 ends as the party leaves Mishar so he's far from finished.

I'm on my phone so this'll be brief: I'm in. :monster:

Wonderful! Don't forget to sign up on the google doc.

Also Mr Ite is currently working on part 2 of is book. Part 1 ends as the party leaves Mishar so he's far from finished.

He can join us if he likes. I'd love to have him on board. The more people who sign up, the smaller, and thus less onerous, each person's section (or maybe I can call it "chapter") will be.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I'm glad you got what I meant.. st00pid autocorrect. :monster:

I'll be sure to sign up when I'm on the computer later. Looks like you got quite a bit of interest already!

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I have to admit, I'm really interested in the writing side of this too.... :awesome: But I can't participate until next year, I'm booked this last month.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I was just checking, :monster:. If you need anywhere to host the novelisation, just give me a yell, our new fancy server should be more than adequate to host it, and I know how to host multiple sites on one server now, so.

Hey Yop look the website is letting me edit your posts! Lic.

Also your offer of helping with the website is much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
I learned my lesson about writing with more than maybe 2 other people.

Hey look I can edit Godot's post too. What's going on?

Last edited by a moderator:

JechtShotMK9

The Sublimely Magnificent One
AKA
Kamiccolo9
Hmmm...I like this idea. I'm interested, but I don't want to make any kind of commitment just yet. Let me do a quick draft and see how my writing style meshes with FFVII, and I'll get back to you.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
He can join us if he likes. I'd love to have him on board. The more people who sign up, the smaller, and thus less onerous, each person's section (or maybe I can call it "chapter") will be.

I'm in! And yeah, the remake hubbub has stalled me a bit on my solo novel, but it's coming down the pipes as well.

JechtShotMK9

AKA
Kamiccolo9
Is there a way to put spoilers on this forum? I'm not especially tech-savvy :P

Anyway, I wrote up a rough sample, and I'd like to get an opinion or two before I sign on to this.

And you close the spoiler like this: [/spoiler]...

An ordinary spoiler tag looks like
this

But if you add words to the first set of brackets - e.g.,
what you get
this

That was hard to explain without hiding it all behind spoilers!

Starling

Pro Adventurer
You can see how stuff like spoiler tags and text stuff is done by quoting the post and looking at it in the text box.

JechtShotMK9

AKA
Kamiccolo9
Danke. I threw this together in a few minutes, just to get a feel for the character.

Dat End O' Disk 1, Tho

I stand next to the window, staring into the vast expanses of the Forgotten City. The others are behind me, expecting me to decide what to do next. They seem to believe in me. I only wish that I had such faith in myself.

Sigh. It’s time. I turn, and they all look up at me, stricken by our loss, and yet determined to end this conflict, once and for all.

I’m Cloud, Ex-Soldier, born in Nibelheim. I’m here to settle things with Sephiroth.

At this, Tifa flinches. She’s mumbling to herself, but I can’t hear what she’s saying. But I can’t stop now. To stop would be to give in to the madness that has taken over my life. I have to keep going.

I came here by my own free will….Or so I thought.

I clench my fist, and try to resist the tears that I feel coming.

However, to tell the truth, I’m afraid of myself.

I turn away, unable to face my friends, as I reveal the truth.

There is a part of me that I don’t understand. The part that made….that made me give the Black Materia to Sephiroth.

I almost expect to hear Barret berate me over this. To be honest, I’d welcome it. I’d welcome any excuse to not continue this speech. But there is only silence.

If you hadn’t stopped me, I might have…..Aerith might’ve been….

I pause, and take a deep breath. This is it.

There’s something inside of me. A person who is not really me.

I turn back to face them, awaiting the horror in their eyes. I see only confusion, and, in Tifa’s case….pity? I hang my head, crestfallen.

That’s why I should quit this journey. Before the monster in me emerges once again, and I do something terrible.

But I can’t quit. I just can’t. Something within me is driving me now. And I must see this through to the end.

But I am going.

I’m shaking now. Whether from fear, despair, or anger, I can’t say. Maybe all of these reasons.

He destroyed my hometown five years ago. He killed Aerith. And now, he is trying to destroy the Planet. I’ll never forgive him….Sephiroth.

I must go on.
And now, for the hard part.

I….have to ask you all. Will you come with me? To save me from…..doing something terrible.

There is a short silence. And then, a loud, boisterous voice speaks up.

“Well, we’ll face that when it happens.” The others nod in agreement.

I sigh, relieved. If nothing else, I’m not alone.

I don’t know how Aerith tried to save the planet from Meteor. And I guess now, we’ll never know. But! We still have a chance. We must get the Black Materia back before Sephiroth uses it.

Let’s go.

Might be some minor grammatical errors in there, and I didn't spend much time proofreading, but yeah.

Top Bottom