Music Analysis of "Aerith's Theme" from Final Fantasy 7

Alec Weesner

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
Battlegun
*SPOILERS*

Hi everyone. I wanted to really take an in-depth look at the music surrounding Aerith's death and how the music captures that moment so well. The way Eumatsu removes certain instruments at certain times, his instrument selection, and lastly his unique style of composing create an incredible piece of music that I meticulously re-created and analyzed.

I hope you enjoy this look on one of Nobuo Eumatsu's greatest!

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
Thanks for this! I love how equally this tune can be used to convey beauty and grace while also a sense of the tragic. Your breakdown is intense and very thorough. There are little touches I never noticed until now, and I won't forget them.

Castiel Strife

Pro Adventurer
It really is a fantastic piece. Very emotional. Actually, all of the music on FF7 is wonderful. I have been to a couple of Final Fantasy orchestra concerts, because in general Final Fantasy has great music.

For me, though, VII just tops all the others and in fact tops every game in existence in my opinion. It starts before you even begin to play the game, with the title screen. That piece is literally like going on a journey. So many different emotions are brought out by that work of art. Then it continues before you ever take control of Cloud and never stops.

When I bought the steam port of FF7 for PS4, it came with a PS4 theme and the music playing on that theme is Aerith's. I haven't changed my PS4 theme since, and I really recommend any big fans of the game to get that theme.

Top Bottom