Naruto Anime/Manga (Manga Spoilers Not Tagged) [WSJ]

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Crazy awesome chapter, especially when combined with last week. Hopefully I'll remember to comment in detail, since I totally neglected last week.

X :neo:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
http://www.mangapanda.com/naruto/646/3

Well, that explains a lot.

And here I thought Kishimoto was going to go the easy route of "the energy we use to do magic techniques has always existed", but no...

At least he didn't wreck chakra the way the Force was wrecked when midi-chlorians were introduced...

I'm definitely posting more when I have the time...

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Sorry for the double post (not really)...

So, it turns out that the ninja's obsession with bloodlines is actually based on something real. Turns out people get chakra from their parents. And given that SSP's mom got her chakra by eating a fruit of the Juubi (Juubi's unborn kid?) it looks like the Huuyga might be right to worry about transplanting byakugan. Also, Yamato got Harashima's chakra nature from his DNA, so chakra transplantation is still possible.

The really interesting part is that humans did not originally have chakra. But as of the time of the series, they can't live without it. And this doesn't have anything to do with them using chakra for jutsu. We've had people(almost) die from running out of chakra so it's not humans can just "give back" the chakra they stole. What's also interesting is that people are contently regenerating chakra as well as have the capability to increase the amount of chakra they produce. So at some point between the first Jubbi and the start of the series, chakra stopped being something people stole, and started being there's.

Also, humans aren't the only ones who have chakra now. There's all the summoning animals that have chakra and can do jutsu. And it's a different type of jutsu then humans do, but it can effect the Juubi while human's jutsu can't. Have to wonder whether the summoning animals has chakra before people did, or if they got it afterwards. I'm betting on afterwards.

What I really have to appreciate is that the SSP split the Juubi in to 9 intelligent animals instead of 9 plants. Plants don't have brains (even if the Juubi was sentient, it was a plant), but animals do, so they're closer to humans. What's interesting is why he split the Juubi up and that while the bijuu are distructive, they're more like forces of nature, then actively trying to get back the chakra that was stolen from the Juubi. Now that's all that work's been undone.

Also interesting is that it's the Uchiha who still have the history of what went down with the Juubi, but the Senju don't. I'm thinking the Uchiha have it because they can get the right eyes to see what was recorded.

Okay, it's really freaky that Harashima has the Mukuton jutsu now. It looks like that's the chakra nature of the Juubi. No wonder Orochimaru wanted it so badly (did he know about this already?). Speaking of Orochimaru, he'd probably love this, if not for the fact that it's leading to a world-wide genjutsu.

It's more apparent then ever now that Madara and Obito have two very different things they want to accomplish with the Juubi. Oh, and Sasuke doesn't even want the genjutsu to happen. Three-way Uchiha fight anyone? What's also crazy is that being the junchuriki of the biggest of the the bijuu, and therefore having more chakra then anyone else is finally a major weakness for Naruto; the Juubi is going to be gunning for him out of everyone else.

Also, I have my suspicions that Salmehada is somehow related to the original Juubi. It's a sentient sword that eats chakra and likes people which large chakra reserves. Only instead of eating their chakra, it gives them the chakra it's eaten. Broken off piece of the original Juubi that formed an attachment to humans once the original Juubi was sealed maybe?

It's also worth mentioning that the whole "history of how we got chakra" conversation takes place between Madara and Harashima, so they're the only two people who know all this stuff.

Well, at least Naruto isn't on break next week, that would be torture.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Sorry for the double post (not really)...

Never be sorry when you make posts like this. ;)

So, it turns out that the ninja's obsession with bloodlines is actually based on something real. Turns out people get chakra from their parents. And given that SSP's mom got her chakra by eating a fruit of the Juubi (Juubi's unborn kid?) it looks like the Huuyga might be right to worry about transplanting byakugan. Also, Yamato got Harashima's chakra nature from his DNA, so chakra transplantation is still possible.

The really interesting part is that humans did not originally have chakra. But as of the time of the series, they can't live without it. And this doesn't have anything to do with them using chakra for jutsu. We've had people(almost) die from running out of chakra so it's not humans can just "give back" the chakra they stole. What's also interesting is that people are contently regenerating chakra as well as have the capability to increase the amount of chakra they produce. So at some point between the first Jubi and the start of the series, chakra stopped being something people stole, and started being there's.

I like that the chakra became intrinsically tied into the humans, and changed over a large number of generations. This also makes me think that the ultra, mega, way long ago reference to the Byakugan and Sharingan being related might still have an element of truth. Essentially, since the Sage brought Ninjutsu into the world, the humans have had a symbiotic existence with the chakra, and removing it now would kill them (like any other relationship like this).

Also, humans aren't the only ones who have chakra now. There's all the summoning animals that have chakra and can do jutsu. And it's a different type of jutsu then humans do, but it can effect the Juubi while human's jutsu can't. Have to wonder whether the summoning animals has chakra before people did, or if they got it afterwards. I'm betting on afterwards.

I'd actually bet on it being older. It's called "Natural Energy" which would hint at it being an intrinsic property of the world (there's a little bit of a Jenova energy vs. Lifestream vibe going on with that).

What I really have to appreciate is that the SSP split the Juubi in to 9 intelligent animals instead of 9 plants. Plants don't have brains (even if the Juubi was sentient, it was a plant), but animals do, so they're closer to humans. What's interesting is why he split the Juubi up and that while the bijuu are distructive, they're more like forces of nature, then actively trying to get back the chakra that was stolen from the Juubi. Now that's all that work's been undone.

I do wonder that the giant tree bears a resemblance to the lotus flower that was built out of Hashirama's cells. Since the technique uses a gigantic Sharingan-like eye, I'm wondering if there's something that Hashirama will be able to do to interfere with it, since it's much like the merging of their cells. (I'm also curious whether or not Obito is gonna attempt to access his Sharingan eye stash at any point soon). Either way, this is clear why the Senju & Uchiha elements combine to grant the powers that they do.

Also interesting is that it's the Uchiha who still have the history of what went down with the Juubi, but the Senju don't. I'm thinking the Uchiha have it because they can get the right eyes to see what was recorded.

Agreed,

Okay, it's really freaky that Harashima has the Mukuton jutsu now. It looks like that's the chakra nature of the Juubi. No wonder Orochimaru wanted it so badly (did he know about this already?). Speaking of Orochimaru, he'd probably love this, if not for the fact that it's leading to a world-wide genjutsu.

(See earlier comment about this)

It's more apparent then ever now that Madara and Obito have two very different things they want to accomplish with the Juubi. Oh, and Sasuke doesn't even want the genjutsu to happen. Three-way Uchiha fight anyone? What's also crazy is that being the junchuriki of the biggest of the the bijuu, and therefore having more chakra then anyone else is finally a major weakness for Naruto; the Juubi is going to be gunning for him out of everyone else.

I think that that was an interesting move as well. It'll be interesting to see how he'll be able to recover once the Kage & friends show up, since they'll have a significant level of chakra power as well, and might draw some attention away from him, since he's been a bit drained. (Additionally, it was SUPER badass seeing the Third leap in and save Naruto).

Also, I have my suspicions that Salmehada is somehow related to the original Juubi. It's a sentient sword that eats chakra and likes people which large chakra reserves. Only instead of eating their chakra, it gives them the chakra it's eaten. Broken off piece of the original Juubi that formed an attachment to humans once the original Juubi was sealed maybe?

Interesting hypothesis, but I think that it'd be reacting differently if that were the case.

It's also worth mentioning that the whole "history of how we got chakra" conversation takes place between Madara and Harashima, so they're the only two people who know all this stuff.

They MIGHT be, but I wouldn't put it past Orochimaru / Kabuto to have figured a huge portion of that out, since they've done similar in the past.

Well, at least Naruto isn't on break next week, that would be torture.

It's even got extra stuff!!

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
You know the situations bad when Sasuke is the one who's telling Naruto it's time to go beat that guy. That's never happened in the manga before... Also, it looks like Susano'o doesn't get sucked away by the Juubi... which might be because the Juubi has sharingan?

And the Kage show up! With Orochimaru, who has so far managed to show the most restraint of any villain in the series, or, in a lot of other series for that matter... I like how he's a de facto good guy now that they all have a common enemy. And is it just me or is Madara way too many hints about what's going on, like, he actually wants them to have a chance to succeed in destroying the Juubi... although Madara freaks me out way more then Orochimaru does.

It just occurred to me that the "everyone" Ino is projecting too included Orochimaru and Sasuke... I really want to see what they have to say about Naruto's memories.

Orochimaru turning up made me realize that he's going after what SSP did, knowledge of all jutsu, but from the opposite direction. SSP knows all jutsu because he was born with all the chakra types, while Orochimaru is trying to reconstruct all the chakra types in himself.

Another weird thought... the Juubi we currently see isn't the original Juubi, that's dead and it's body is the moon. So how did the current Juubi know that people stole the original's chakra?

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
And is it just me or is Madara way too many hints about what's going on, like, he actually wants them to have a chance to succeed in destroying the Juubi... although Madara freaks me out way more then Orochimaru does.

I wonder if that might a secret alternative plan of his? Create world piece by uniting the nations against one common enemy?

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
One: Mangastream's translation is up: http://readms.com/r/naruto/648/2073/1

Two: I haven't properly posted about Naruto in a while because of lots of reasons, but I needed to mention some thing about this chapter:

Orochimaru talking about Sasuke & Tobirama talking about Naruto gave this chapter a serious sense of, "we haven't seen the end of things yet and there's still a good ways to go in this story" that pretty much kicked out the feelings of upcoming finality that some folks were talking about the last couple weeks.

Additionally, hell yes to using Juugo's Senjutsu and channeling it through Susano'o like the Cursed Seal, in order to be able to deal damage that's Senjutsu in its element, but doesn't Fundamentally alter how Sasuke's powered up mode works.

So, seeing the SUPER cool historical flashback made my day. The Mizukage is an old badass. I also really liked that they established that Sand had already sealed Shukaku, and that they negotiated solely for resources, rather than other Biju. I'd like to see how some of them ended up in minor nations outside of the Prime 5 over the years.

Forward momentum for Naruto & Sasuke + World-building flashback = very happy this week.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
Somehow, with next week being 650 and how this chapter went on, it's setting up something big. Don't ask me what, as I have no idea. But I have high hopes.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Kishimoto's always big on his 50/100 chapters
(or at least within a chapter or two of them, he usually interconnects some big arcs).

With this chapter, I'm REALLY, REALLY, REALLY digging the idea of another time skip after this with Sasuke & Naruto leading groups of Shinobi who have opposing ideals on how the future of their world should be run. Naruto as the Hokage with Shikamaru as his right hand man skipped forwards to when they're all adults (18+), and they're all the proper leaders and in the Jounin positions that the war has lead them towards would be FUCKING EPIC AS ALL HELL (solongastherewasNaruHinapairingthatalsohappened). You've got Sakura as the head of the Medical Corps, Ino in charge of their communications, Chouji would be a guardian to the Hokage to protect all three of them, Hinata/Kiba/Shino as the significant members of their respective households as well as a tracking/scouting/recon experts, Sai could be over the remainder of Root or even the top member of the Anbu (which Kakashi should be running, assuming he survives), Lee is the lead Taijutsu instructor, and Tenten is the weapons expert. Hell, even Konohamaru, Moegi, Udon, & Hanabi could be proper shinobi. I just can't stop thinking about it.

That being said, it was really cool seeing all the nations' normal shinobi prepping for combat, and getting psyched up. Tsunade & Hashirama meeting was excellent, and the whole Shinobi alliance is finally all on the scene and moving forward again under their respective leaders, so it's moving away from the central characters and expanding back out into the large-scale armed conflict again.

& last, but not least: Kakashi. Stiching himself up and planning his move. The next chapter deals with Obtio, Sasuke, & Naruto, so I can't help but think that they reminded everyone of him for a reason.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Oh, MAN that chapter felt amazing. Everyone really feels filled in to their roles and they've solidified that Naruto will keep his same ideology regardless of where it moves from here: even if his friends betray him or another war starts. I really feel like they're establishing the two ideologies for the next arc which will hopefully be after a minor time skip. Seriously though- that last panel made my day.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
It wasn't perhaps as grand as I was expecting, but the implications are there. And woohoo, last page! :)

I know it sounds cliché but... man, this is getting even more interesting.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I know it sounds cliché but... man, this is getting even more interesting.
This has been Naruto series' operative premise since Vol. 1.

Also, I'm loving the Orochimaru/Sarutobi interaction. I'm looking forward to what Tsunade has to say about him taking their side.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
Also, I'm loving the Orochimaru/Sarutobi interaction. I'm looking forward to what Tsunade has to say about him taking their side.

This made me remember what my friend says; that it's suspicious Jiraiya hasn't been revived with Edo Tensei as he's supposed to be dead, and that he says there's not enough proof that he is TRULY dead.

I'm personally not sold on this theory, but it seemed relevant. And then again my brother NEVER stopped believing that Tobi was Obito; not Madara. Even when having such an opinion seemed dumb.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Jiraiya NOT being dead would be one hell of a shitty pulled punch, one. Two, he died on a battlefield and sank to the bottom of the lake, and if Kabuto (who is conniving but VERY reliable) says that no one had gathered his genetic material (strong kinship to Orochimaru reinforces that), then they couldn't raise him, especially now that the Edo Tensei by and large has been canceled.

tl;dr- Obito was brought back because it held meaning. Jiraiya should stay dead for the same reason.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
Jiraiya NOT being dead would be one hell of a shitty pulled punch

I am of the same opinion, to be honest! And whenever my friend mentions that, I kind of roll my eyes and go "nah, that won't happen". He just shrugs, accepting it's highly unlikely. But amusing nonetheless I suppose.

I also prefer he stays dead as if he didn't, it'd lessen the "power" of those chapters.

Top Bottom