God of War: Ragnarok

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
What's this like relative to the other games? Played GOW2 years ago and didn't really like it.

Would be interesting if
his wife was the teammate. A lot of good conversation potential there, starting with 'So... you killed the entire Greek pantheon for your first wife, huh?'

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
What's this like relative to the other games? Played GOW2 years ago and didn't really like it.

Would be interesting if
his wife was the teammate. A lot of good conversation potential there, starting with 'So... you killed the entire Greek pantheon for your first wife, huh?'

Totally different than any other gow game I've played.
Kratos isn't looking for a fight, he just wants to be left alone and not let his anger control him. It's essentially his second chance at having a family and the plot heavily relies on the dynamic between him.and his son being strained and that his wife was essentially the go between tying the two together.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Just got to a new location
(Alfheim)
and man is it pretty. That photo mode update can't drop quickly enough!

Really loving the world and the lore so far.
While I really like the previous games the Greek sandals and toga aesthetic was never something I was super into. The Norse vibe on the other hand I really dig.

Last edited:
Something old, God of War related that I only just now learned about.

Ehm said:
The tattoo(?) on Kratos looks like a "G" while the texture is flat. Cause God of War. God. I'll see myself out now.

CpC-Px5W8AE82La.jpg

- Source

Lex

Administrator
I'm at the very very beginning of the game, but I was amused by

the bridge part. Obviously I've watched the original E3 segment loads at this point (mainly because the reactions are gold) and I legit went "oh no here's the bridge with the troll" and not 2 seconds later Atreus goes "ooft, I half expected there to be a troll under that bridge".

Top notch

Everything feels amazing so far. I'm taking it incredibly slowly though.

Lex

Administrator
Just wanted to share this gif because I thought it was hilarious

iEuJcfD.gif

(That's Cory Barlog, the Director).

Anyway, I'm now at a point in the game where I can't say much without spoilers. I have no idea where I actually am in the game (in terms of % of main story) because it's me playing it which means I've blasted every bit of side content I can find so far. I'll try to add spoiler free descriptions to these:

So the lake with the world serpent - I spent the most time here in any area so far just combing every edge of the lake. This is also the point I've noticed you start seeing stuff you can't access yet (The Witch's Cave being the first instance).

I freed that Dragon, that was a bloody fun side quest and wow I can't even begin to express how impressed I am with that whole castle being a side objective. The mines also. There's been a LOT to do outside the main story so far.

Just finished up here and this is where I am at the minute. Unlocked the light arrows to make those bridges.

So far I'm really enjoying the relationship between Kratos and Atreus, I can't believe they've managed to give Kratos a bit of depth finally. Having the Codex and Bestiary written from Atreus's perspective was just a masterstroke. I find myself reading every single bit.

So still having an amazing time. Playing on my new 55" Sony Bravia XE90 in 4K HDR is certainly helping me appreciate the games visuals and be super immersed.

So far:

Story: Enjoying it
Gameplay: Having a blast
Graphics: Wow pretty

As I said before, I don't know where I am in terms of completion. I'm hoping I'm somewhere before or around the halfway point, but there's no way for me to tell.

I haven't finished the game yet, but I'd estimate you're maybe... 1/5 the way through? If not less.

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
Wait what? Surely not XD. This has been billed as a 13-30 hour game and I have something like 26 hours on my save file XD

(I'm very pleased if you're right though. I'm enjoying the experience too much for it to be nearly over).

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I doubt you have 26 hours already. :P
I don't think even I have that much and I'm a bit further. Where you are is still pretty early.

Ghost X

Post end-game discussion. Don't read until you finish:
Kratos's son is Loki. I think that could spell some trouble down the road, and tragedy and so on :P

Lex

Administrator
OH MY GOD

See when he uncovered the blades from the house and then put them on with Athena in the background... the whole sequence from Atreus's illness to this point has been fucking amazing.

I exclaimed out loud when I pressed R1 and the blades were back. I wish I'd recorded my reaction. What a moment.

amazing

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
Weird question for you folk who are obviously way ahead of me. In regards to opening up all the realms via the world tree, are they optional or mandatory? I've opened up two after the elves just by collecting codexes etc but I didn't wanna visit in case I need to go back later on as the main plot.

Lex

Administrator
^Pretty sure they're optional.

These fuckers are SOLID. Just as you get a method down for one the next one is more difficult, so on and so forth. I've been stuck on Eir for a while now, took down 4 before her. Jeepers. They give you less room in an arena for a fight where it feels like you have to dodge and move far more than the others, the bastards.

Lex

Administrator
That fight took me 2 hours and 20 minutes. wow. definitely underlevelled but what a thrill

...F*ck. Only just now realized that I've been reading "Cory Barlog" as "Cory Balrog".

Feels wrong to say Barlog. :P

Lex

Administrator
That fight took me 2 hours and 20 minutes. wow. definitely underlevelled but what a thrill

So I've defeated all but one of these now, and that was the only one that took me that length of time. I think in part due to a weird delay on one of my PS4 controllers' R2 buttons rather than me actually being poor at the fight lol.

I spent most of my day today completing
Muspelheim. The trials thing is neat but I wish some of them weren't so frustrating/ random. I actually didn't have a problem with "don't get hit" but I had some serious issues on the impossible trial version of the one with killing enemies in the ring and the extend the timer challenge.

I've also unlocked some shiny Valkyrie armour and upgraded it some. Love the look of it.

Main story wise I've

been to Tyr's vault and Helheim Mark II, the next step is "finding a door" and I assume going to Jotunheim. I don't know if I'll progress the main story tomorrow following this Dwarven side quest or not - I might visit Niflheim since I've unlocked it but I haven't been there yet. I also assume this is where the last Valkyrie is.

Purple

Charmed
I just beat the game and boy was it GREAT

Definitely my new favorite. Can't wait to see what happen's next

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
OH MY GOD

See when he uncovered the blades from the house and then put them on with Athena in the background... the whole sequence from Atreus's illness to this point has been fucking amazing.

I exclaimed out loud when I pressed R1 and the blades were back. I wish I'd recorded my reaction. What a moment.

amazing

I just got to that part.

I thought they might bring those back as a bonus post-game weapon or something rather than during the story. But that whole part was great.

Literally said "WE'RE BACK BABY" out loud when I got them :lol:

Lex

Administrator
So today was
Niflheim day and tomorrow will also be Niflheim day. It's a good thing the combat in this game is tremendously fun or I'd likely hate this area. But it's an interesting addition. I just wish the quest part (for the realm tears) wasn't so grindy.

I took out the Valkyrie in there which means after Niflheim it's time to complete that quest aswell :3

Then I'll finish the game. I predict a Thursday finish :monster:

Lex

Administrator
Completed the game. Also got the platinum trophy :monster:

Wow. What an excellent experience.

I was honestly surprised there was more to the mother than they let on, but I've now watched the Easy Allies interview with Cory Barlog and it's amazing how planned it all is, and how many hints there are in the game as to what's coming (both in this game and in sequels).

I thoroughly enjoyed the story in this, which honestly isn't really something I ever expected to hear myself saying for a God of War title.

I'm hoping Freya comes around at some point in the future because she's an awesome character and it would obviously be nice for Kratos to have a true ally among the gods for a change, but if she's really taking up Valkyrie armour again I guess we're fucked in sequels lol.

Also that little easter egg-lite ending with Thor is amazing. Admittedly I was expecting to catch a glimpse of him and Odin at some point (I thought they'd feature more in the story) but they serve a decent function as a looming presence throughout.

But wow @ the Loki/ Atreus stuff. There are hints that Jormungandr is his son and came from the future aswell, which is just insane. We still don't know who blew the horn when Atreus was "sick" either, there are theories it's Atreus from the future. The murals at the end also seem to hint toward other mythologies, there's Egyptian heiroglyphics in there.

How about that? Actual God of War mythology fans can speculate over and discuss. This is all I ever wanted from these games.

In terms of getting the platinum I like to do as much as possible before completing and I'd noticed I literally only had two trophies left to get after finishing (I don't look at the trophy list prior, neither were hidden). One for Odin's ravens and another for the artefacts (I was missing one stupid artefact from Helheim). Only took me 40 minutes to mop them up.

This statement is hyperbole free: this is the best PS4 exclusive and so far my second favourite game of the generation. It's fantastic and everyone should give it a go.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I'm kind of curious. In the final fight with Baldur did anyone else try not to kill Baldur at the end of the fight when we have him on the ground and the games prompting you to punch him for the final time?

I didn't punch immediately. And then after the first punch and second punch I stopped each time in hopes the game or Freya would kick in and stop the fight at last. lol

That was such a cool boss fight. I really didn't want to kill him, not that I liked him as a character I just really really didn't want to do that to Freya.

Also regarding Alfheim. When you beat the boss for the area he says we made a grave mistake. Did anything come out of that line in the end? The games so big and I haven't 100 percented the side content, so I wonder if I missed something in connection to that or was it a sequel hook? Did he know/think turning the light back on was something that would get Ragnarok rolling?

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
This statement is hyperbole free: this is the best PS4 exclusive and so far my second favourite game of the generation. It's fantastic and everyone should give it a go.

What's your favorite though? You probably mentioned it / it's probably obvious but I need to know if there's another must-play game I've not played yet :monster:

Also I should just order this one already, fr*ck!

Top Bottom