New Novel, FINAL FANTASY VII Lateral Biography TURKS: The Kids Are Alright [SPOILER THREAD]

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
No longer being a staff member of any FFVII site, I figured these forums would be a good place to stop by and drop this news.

There's a new Final Fantasy VII spinoff novel coming out in December. No solid details on the plot as of yet, but the title is "FINAL FANTASY VII Lateral Biography TURKS: The Kids Are Alright". Lateral Biography is a rather Engrishy translation of Gaiden, which is used in the Japanese title. ISBN 4757534671.

It's over 300 pages long and is being written by Kazushige Nojima and illustrated by Shou Tajima.

Nojima was, obviously, the writer for FFVII, AC, CC, etc.

Tajima is probably best known for his work on manga like Madara, Neo Devilman, and MPD Psycho. He also did character designs for Galerians and the anime sequence in Kill Bill Vol. 1. Oh, and an illustration of Cloud for the Shounen Gangan Advent Children Illust Gallery (the watercolor one, if you remember it).

Splintered

unsavory tart
Woah, is this true? Is there a source I can see?

I'm actually all for universe expansion so I don't mind. But I've always hoped that the Turks will go back to their magnificent bastard status that the Compilation always seems to gloss over.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
For reals? Hmmmm I have a bad feeling about this. I know Reno and Rude were comic relief in AC but I feel like the Turks have got off lightly overall in the compilation. Now I'm worried.....

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
so is the title a reference to the recent drama-comedy with lesbians and surrogate kids meeting their sperm-doner father or in reference to the old the who documentary

Pixel

The Pixie King
Hmmm maybe they're fleshing out the back story of the turks with the intention of that 3ds Before Crisis remake.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
*boils up some goat entrails*
*chanting* this will not suck, this will not suck, this will not suck....

Seriously, Case of Shinra wasn't too bad, so maybe it'll be ok. Just hope that some kind soul will translate it.

Thank you Suzaku for pointing this out. Hmm, it will be interesting to see if this book holds any relevance in the end to future *real* Compilation entries.

Random thought, I would laugh so hard if the final chronological entry turned out to be a novel, like this one. I'd clap my hands at Kojima's desperation to give the Compilation an ending. Time will tell, time will tell...

Last edited:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Nice Freudian slip there Shademp. :awesome:

Any chance of you perusing through this one, Pixel? :wacky:

Nice Freudian slip there Shademp. :awesome:
Aha, I see I should written "ending" rather than "end". Assuming that this is the slip you were referring to. Mah Engrish needz powlisching.

Btw, can we trust the authenticity of this book? Sure, it's in the SE store, but shouldn't there be an update on some official JP Square site?

Edit: It seems a bit suspicious to me that Nojima would write a 300-page book without giving it any publicity early on.

Last edited:

e.suna

little nerdling
I was dismayed by the heaps of Turks introduced in BC, so I really hope this is about Turks we actually care about. And they're back to their old badass selves.

The Turks are my favorite, so I can't help but be excited and hope for the best (!!!).

ETA: And hope this is real.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
I was dismayed by the heaps of Turks introduced in BC, so I really hope this is about Turks we actually care about. And they're back to their old badass selves.

Yeah, outside of some very well written fanfiction by Licorice, I have never given a shit about any of the new Turks, with the exception of Cissnei, Veld and perhaps Elena's sister.

I'm totally conflicted here. If this is going to be good and concentrate on the main FFVII Turks then that is great. If its going to be a throwaway piece of jibberish, I'd rather it focused on the new Turks, because there is very little characterization to sully there.

I don't know if my fellow Turk fans would agree, but I have always been relieved that we didn't get much backstory for the Turks - and some of the decisions SE have made story wise have been pretty shitty IMO. I would hate for the Turks to get fucked over :/

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
The Turks sucked in before crisis and crisis core.

Meh.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Well, damn. And I thought I was finished ordering FFVII books (I just ordered the On the Way to a Smile book a couple weeks back; still waiting for it to arrive).

Everyone's already said everything I was thinking, so consider my Thanks of your posts as "ditto."

Well, damn. And I thought I was finished ordering FFVII books (I just ordered the On the Way to a Smile book a couple weeks back; still waiting for it to arrive).
I don't know about you, but I will wait to see if this new book is the real thing or not, before ordering it. I'm moderately skeptical atm of its legitimacy :hohum:

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
Wow, awesome! And is that Zerith art in your avatar?!?! IS THAT A FOR REAL PICTURE? *freaks the fuck out*

But yeah, I'm excited for this. :'D Cool.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I don't know about you, but I will wait to see if this new book is the real thing or not, before ordering it. I'm moderately skeptical atm of its legitimacy :hohum:

It's on Square-Enix's e-store. Can't get more legitimate than that. :P

Elisa Maza

Whomst
Hmm... The Turks, eh? I guess it will conclude the BC storyline, with showing what happened to them. Or not. I don't know much about BC. Still, I wonder if this novel will give a conclusion only, or also prepare the ground for some future title. Time will tell.

It's on Square-Enix's e-store. Can't get more legitimate than that. :P

I assume then that the stuff on there is always official and has to pass through Square's channels in order to be approved and posted on the e-store. If that is the case, then this is a news item for the TLS frontpage. =)

No, it's not that. I loved quite a lot of OTWTAS, especially Case of Shinra. But I shall feel compulsively compelled to re-write my entire fanfic in order to accomodate the new canon; it will eat away at me if I don't. I really hope it's all post-AC. The title makes me hope that it is. Even then, though, there will probably be backstory and character development like there was in CoS. I loved those BC Turks because they were such blank slates. You got like a three line description of them and that was that; you could flesh them out in any way you liked. They were just like a creative writing exercise. They didn't even have names. What if they're all given names now like Cissnei was, and I hate their names? Bugger.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
No, it's not that. I loved quite a lot of OTWTAS, especially Case of Shinra. But I shall feel compulsively compelled to re-write my entire fanfic in order to accomodate the new canon; it will eat away at me if I don't. I really hope it's all post-AC. The title makes me hope that it is. Even then, though, there will probably be backstory and character development like there was in CoS. I loved those BC Turks because they were such blank slates. You got like a three line description of them and that was that; you could flesh them out in any way you liked. They were just like a creative writing exercise. They didn't even have names. What if they're all given names now like Cissnei was, and I hate their names? Bugger.

Cissnei isn't even her real name.

But yes, definitely front page worthy.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
ooh, new novels and new illustrations? Awesome... maybe they'll reveal that Yazeno was canon :awesome:

Top Bottom