New Pokemon Game Announced... A Fair Bit Ago!

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
And I am shocked, SHOCKED I SAY, that we don't have a thread for it yet! This apparently was announced long enough ago that there were trailers in mid-April! I had to hear about this from a TVTropes page ffs! As such, I myself don't know all that much about it just yet, but here's some of what I've learned since I found this out:

(be warned, I am not spoiler tagging any of this so if you care about that ask someone else)

So, this appears to be a first for the Pokemon Series: a direct sequel taking place in the same region as the previous game and considered part of the same generation rather than an enhanced third version (Crystal, Emerald, Platnium). It is set in Unova, two years after the events of the first Black/White. There are new protagonists rather than the kids from Black and White returning (no surprise really):

10mn72c.jpg

I sorta wanna punch the dude.

These two new kids are apparently from Poke-Jersey, which is a fair bit larger than the smallish segment it had in Black and White. New routes have been opened up giving access to cities and towns in the Southwestern portion of Unova, outside the first game's map. The downside to that?

n71vnp.jpg

Yeah, apparently about half the country as we knew it before is frozen the fuck over with a massive glacier.

You might notice that in addition to the old protagonists' home town and the Pokemon League, several of the cities with Gyms are pretty much gone (at least until that ice melts off). Well, new Gyms are being opened in the new part of the map down there in the corner. And for the first time since Kanto, one of them is going to specialize in Poison:

icjnmq.jpg

I cannot wait to get this girl's sprites. Also, I think she's gonna kick ass.

So what the hell happened to the region? Well, you guys remember Kyurem? Long speculated to be the third Tao Dragon, making a complete Trio with Reshiram and Zekrom? Yeah apparently that thing is pissed about something and froze half the country. Its the version mascot for both games. But, its not exactly the same in both:

rws5qx.jpg

On the left, Kyurem-Black, on the right, Kyurem-White

Yeah, apparently Kyurem has taken on aspects of one of the two Tao Dragons from Black and White, which one depending on your version (unlike Black and White, the color of Kyurem you get matches the color of the version). It will apparently also have highly potent Ice-type attacks with status effects normally associated with Lightning or Fire (called Freeze Shock and Ice Burn).

Aside from all that, I don't know much. Apparently the Starters are going to be the same as in the first B/W. I... don't know how I feel about that. It makes sense but... I kinda wanted something new here? I already raised a Tepig and have people getting me Oshawott and Snivy as we speak. There may or may not be more Pokemon added to the 'dex, no idea there, but at the least some Gen I-IV Pokemon will be available right from the start (apparently those swarms that happen when you get the National Dex are canon and the invasive species have a healthy population now).

And finally, here's the best trailer type stuff I could find atm (probably better out there but my internet will not cooperate with me tonight):

Oh right, supposedly the release date for all this is in June for Japan, Fall of this year for the USA :monster:

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
Man I'm too old for this shit but oh well.... Pokemon assemble for round 9000 we're gonna catch your buddies again.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Does it really matter what the starter pokemon are? There's going to be a red one, a blue one and a green one, and your rival will choose whichever pokemon supposedly has the edge on you.

I hope this doesn't start an argument. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Pokemon blue immensely as a child, and I had some fun playing HeartGold a little while ago, for nostalgia's sake, but I don't understand why people continue to get excited about new releases when they're basically the same game as before. In this case, perhaps they're not actually excited, which is why TLS hasn't had a thread about it for all this time since its announcement.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Does it really matter what the starter pokemon are? There's going to be a red one, a blue one and a green one, and your rival will choose whichever pokemon supposedly has the edge on you.

I hope this doesn't start an argument. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Pokemon blue immensely as a child, and I had some fun playing HeartGold a little while ago, for nostalgia's sake, but I don't understand why people continue to get excited about new releases when they're basically the same game as before. In this case, perhaps they're not actually excited, which is why TLS hasn't had a thread about it for all this time since its announcement.
When people are obsessed/reeally interested in something, any addition is awesome. I honestly can't comprehend why stereotypical girls get excited about shoes, why people continue to buy Call of Duty games and why I will still purchase the next Dynasty Warriors.

It happens when your liking of something extends further than what is on offer. All you want is more. It doesn't matter whether the tiny scraps of new 'content' are hidden under layers of the same old stuff, as long as it is there.

That said, I won't be touching this pokemon with a ten foot pole.

wander

‪‫‬‭ ‮
Empty post split from New Pokemon thread

Does it really matter who the main character is? They're always going to be either an edgy soldier, an all-out optimist or a misfit with amnesia, and the main antagonist will always be one of the easiest bosses to defeat despite their significance to the story.

I hope this doesn't start an argument. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Final Fantasy IV immensely as a child, and I had some fun playing FFVI a little while ago, for nostalgia's sake, but I don't understand why people continue to get excited about new releases when they're basically the same game as before. In this case, perhaps they're not actually excited, which is why TLS hasn't had a thread about it for all this time since its announcement.

Note: the quoted text has been "Fix'd."

Last edited by a moderator:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
...Comparing Pokemon to each numerical Final Fantasy?

Are you fucking serious?

Flintlock's criticism is a valid one. As fun as Pokemon is, I mostly play for it either for the nostalgia or the competitive gameplay. The story and actual 1-player experience is EXTREMELY derivative and the same. To deny that it's literally the same game, except with a different region, rival, pokemon, and criminal team chasing a legendary, is a lie.

Pokemon's got a lot going for it, and it's fun but to equate Pokemon's story mode to that of an actual RPG is just....wtf.

Anyways, regarding this entry, I'm actually interested in it, since this is actually the first direct sequel to a Pokemon entry, and this might actually give us something new in the franchise. This is what I find most enjoyable and exciting about it.

I like Pokemon. Ya I get bored more easily with each new entry but that's only after I complete the pokedex and get a pretty decent team. It's fun, I've been playing it since I was a kid, and pokemon can be really fucking cute.

Gym Leader Devil

AKA
So many names

Yes it matters, because I already trained these. Just because they follow the same general elemental theme (and often color) every time doesn't make them identical. There are massive differences in available moves, stat distribution, even type at full evolution just between a Charizard and a Typhlosion (the very first two Fire starters).

Of course, if this were the normally expected third version we usually get for every generation, we'd be expecting the exact same starters. But this is a sequel. I'd sincerely hoped when I first heard about this that, with the PokeProf's town being frozen solid and all, they'd give us different starters with the excuse that they couldn't get the old ones anymore.

I hope this doesn't start an argument. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Pokemon blue immensely as a child, and I had some fun playing HeartGold a little while ago, for nostalgia's sake, but I don't understand why people continue to get excited about new releases when they're basically the same game as before.

Um... Gym Leader over here? Yeah, I like Pokemon that much. There are certainly a ton of similarities between one Pokemon game and another, I can't deny that. But my favorite team members are all over the place, as per what generation they came from. Without Gen III there'd be no Blaziken. Without Gen IV there'd be no Staraptor or Luxray. For that matter, without Gen III there'd be no Abilities, and without Gen IV we'd still be determining if an attack was physical or special based on the type of the move instead of by what the move actually DOES.

Things might look identical to you, but they're not man. They've improved a shitload over the years. For that matter, the stories (which let's face it, aren't the real point anyway for a lot of people) do stay within a certain mold, but you'd be surprised how much room there is to change inside of a mold even if does hold the same shape.

In this case, perhaps they're not actually excited, which is why TLS hasn't had a thread about it for all this time since its announcement.

I'm excited. I have some reservations and worries on how some of these things will work out, true, but I'm still looking forward to seeing how this works out.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
Ah yes, I heard about this! Only because people were making fun of the ridiculous hairstyles, lol. So that's pretty much all I know about it, and what I'm about to read in this thread. :monster:

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
I like Pokemon. Ya I get bored more easily with each new entry but that's only after I complete the pokedex and get a pretty decent team. It's fun, I've been playing it since I was a kid, and pokemon can be really fucking cute.

I love catching em, and leveling them, I even take turns for each of them so they wont be trapped in the pc box forever. But whenever a new game comes all the god damn time I get this reaction from myself:

1806567-igtofts.png

Gym Leader Devil

AKA
So many names
Well, there is a very definite similarity in all the main series Pokemon stories. Either Oak or another regional prof gives you your starter and a Pokedex to fill up. A criminal organization of some kind repeatedly gets in the way of your quest shows up to provide free exp. Eventually you become champion, etc.

The big difference is in the escalating motives and methods of those organizations. The Rockets were generic dicks, stealing people's Pokemon and abusing them for profit. Not really a huge threat, and they had no ambitions involving a Legendary of any sort in game continuity (its only in the other adaptations that they were explicitly involved with Mew and Mewtwo). Hell, in Gen II their only ambition seems to be "get the boss to come back." Then you got Aqua and Magma in Hoenn, who are determined to awaken critters so powerful they're said to have created and shaped the seas and continents. When they succeed, Kyogre and Groudon's powers go wacky and nearly destroy the entire region (either via flooding or extreme drought/heat wave) with some NPCs worrying that if one of them eventually wins the effects could spread to the entire planet. Then Galactic showed up planning to use the Pokemon who created and regulate freaking Time and Space to destroy and remake the entire universe.

Honestly I find Plasma a nice step back. Still a reasonable threat, with Ghetsis' plan to separate everyone from their Pokemon using N and his Legendary Dragon + propoganda turning out to be soley motivated by the idea that "if I'm the only one with Pokemon, I could take over this region overnight!" But, it isn't quite so over the top as "let's remake the universe exactly as it is, but with no emotion or willpower so there is peace what with no1curring about anything" was.

AKA
L, Castiel, Scotty Mc Dickerson
Regardless of the new versions coming out I still end up just transferring my original squad that I had when red originally came out.

That said I really can't deal with another Pokemon remake that will have the same general plot/towns/quests/scenarios/characters/items/Pokemon/puzzles

Gym Leader Devil

AKA
So many names

Kris just told me this exists and I looked it up. And it is awesome. Motherfucking Arcanine dishing out an ass-kicking from hell.

Top Bottom