New Star Trek Series Coming to CBS January 2017

Max Caulfield

shaka brah
AKA
Chi, Trollzaya, Dean Winchester, Black Widow
The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the Star Trek franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS’s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month. CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous Star Trek television series.

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new Star Trek TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films Star Trek (2009) with Roberto Orci, and Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers. Kurtzman is also an executive producer for the hit CBS television series Scorpion and Limitless, along with Kadin and Orci, and for Hawaii Five-0 with Orci.

The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film Star Trek Beyond which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016.

Sauce

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I really, really hope this is good. I did not enjoy the recent Star Trek movies at all. Even with Rifftrax audio I can't sit through them.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Cautiously optimistic. The 40 min episode length always suited the series better. Enough for a nugget of philosophy, some character development, and a conflict of some kind.

Max Caulfield

shaka brah
AKA
Chi, Trollzaya, Dean Winchester, Black Widow
I really, really hope this is good. I did not enjoy the recent Star Trek movies at all. Even with Rifftrax audio I can't sit through them.

Same. I was so glad when I read the series won't be connected to the newer movies at all.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I... don't think it'll work. They'll probably try to copy the recent movies style, but the most recent attempt at a Star Trek series (Enterprise iirc?) already went for that style and it didn't go well. But, it's what, ten years later now? And TV shows are the shit again, so they might have a chance this time.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

First off, how amazing is it that this series has been around for 49 years?

So new characters, okay, I figured that. But like Force said, what 'time' will this take place in? IIRC Voyager and Deep Space 9 were the ones furthest into the future. Will it be after them now, or before?

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I actually was Curious; the furthest in the future (because time travel, argh!) the series takes place or refers to is the 31st century; some temporal cold war plot taking place in Enterprise because idk. In the regular series / movies, DS9 takes place in 2369 - 2375, Voyager in 2371 - 2378, and the last 'canon' event is in 2379, the events in Star Trek Nemesis.

In 2387, a supernova destroys Romulus and Spock & co go back in time to 2258 to fuck shit up and reboot the franchise because fuck everything, let's just start over.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
And more than that, which universe/timeline? I know it says it won't be "related" to the movies, which is good. But it could still be set in that timeline rather than the prime one.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Am I the only one who can't play the video? It has no sound and freezes half way through. :(

But I'm guessing Michael Dorn's Worf show is dead in the water. :sadpanda:

Top Bottom