• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Nier

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I played Nier (gestalt) back when it originally came out. It was pretty cool. I definitely had more fun with Automata, though.

Finding the connections to the first one in Automata was enjoyable, but I imagine discovering them in the other direction would be no less fun.

Last edited:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
lol, the game review industry/zeitgeist is so transparent sometimes.

I'm sure the remaster smooths some edges, but nearly 20 points better? And not just that now Nier has some cachet so suddenly game journalists are able to see the high points of a niche title?
It’s actually not that unbelievable, since what kinda made Nier Automata so successful was its gameplay and quality of life elements being significantly better than Yoko Taro’s previous games. And this version upgrade significantly improves on that front. Like many people will still recommend Drakengard 1 while simultaneously describing its gameplay as “unplayable”.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Nier 1 was by no means "unplayable" though, and this remaster doesn't give it full-on Automata gameplay. I have no trouble believing the improved combat makes the game better, but 20 points better? There's clearly a hype effect just because the franchise is successful now.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Nier 1 was by no means "unplayable" though, and this remaster doesn't give it full-on Automata gameplay. I have no trouble believing the improved combat makes the game better, but 20 points better? There's clearly a hype effect just because the franchise is successful now.
Sure while it wasn’t unplayable like Drakengard 1, it still was significantly less good (plus had a not good FPS consistency). And while hype probably plays some role into the difference, I think it also has to do with being legitimately a great “version upgrade” (as Yoko Taro describes it).
Also it is important to remember that, like Rotten Tomotoes, Metacritic’s scoring not a raw average calculation, so a game simply getting more reviews has the potential to increase its meta score, even if the raw average isn’t significantly different.
9F920BDA-3CDC-405B-AB48-872815866FF5.png

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
For me, it's not that Nier Replicant is reviewing too high because of a hype effect, it's that the original Nier was reviewed too low. Killer soundtrack, great story telling, serviceable combat, I certainly wouldn't give it a 6/10. The original Nier released in an era where first and third person shooters with Hollywood storytelling were taking over the industry. I don't think reviewers at the time knew what to do with Nier. But that era has passed and audiences are more accepting of unique experiences now.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Since 2010, when NieR first released, there's been an uptick in... unusual, off-beat games that don't fit nicely in an AAA game category. So the gaming news industry has figured out what to do with those kinds of games now and how to describe them.

Being a weird game no one knows what to do with has come to be seen as a *good thing* in the years since the original release of NieR. Ten years ago, that no one knew in the reviewing world knew what to do with NieR and that worked against it. Now games reviewers do know what to do with NieR and it's working for it.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
So there's gardening and it apparently takes real time 24 - 48 hours for shit to grow and changing the system clock doesn't work?
Who the fuck thought this was a good idea and does gardening even do anything outside of having a trophy tied to it? :wacky:
Honestly, gardening always suck in games. I never did it, mining is my thing.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
So there's gardening and it apparently takes real time 24 - 48 hours for shit to grow and changing the system clock doesn't work?
Who the fuck thought this was a good idea and does gardening even do anything outside of having a trophy tied to it? :wacky:
Guess there are some/enough people who like it, as there are definitely enough Animal Crossing players who don’t play by “time travel” spamming the system clocks for the franchise to be successful. But yeah it is a niche and/or archaic feature.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Long weekend where I live due to a holiday, so I've been slamming down Nier Replicant. Planning to do all side quests this playthrough. Just finished them all in part 1 and it's... not as bad as I thought it'd be. If the loading was a bit quicker I dare say it's even fun.

Nier Gestalt/Replicant is a game that's only grown in my imagination since I first played it. Now I really appreciate spending more time with its characters and world. So for that reason the side quests are fine.

Oh and it turns out only father Nier's birthday is September 11th. Brother Nier's is June 6th, which is Yoko Taro's birthday. :moar:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Wonder how the sales will compare to Automata once the digital sales are taken into account? (however long that takes)

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Top Bottom