• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Nier

JechtShotMK9

The Sublimely Magnificent One
AKA
Kamiccolo9
I finished Nier Automata the other day, and spent about an hour staring blankly at the wall, debating whether to say yes or no to the final question in the game.

Did it. Great game, never played a JRPG with such good player-story integration before. FFXIV hooked me, and Automata pulled me in and spat me out.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I just had this sudden realization and am validated that others have been thinking the same for years.
Very late-game NieR spoilers
Only NieR makes is really obvious that the "heartless" and "nobodies" have their own separate emotions and experiance and are definetly two separate individuals. And recombining the "heartless" and "nobody" goes wrong in every conceivable way as a result. To the point you end up with a "heartless" saying the "nobody" who's body they are in is a different being from them and commits suicide rather than stay in a situation where they're essentially controlling someone else.

NieR and Kingdom Hearts are like... at opposite ends of the "identity crisis" spectrum when it comes to their tones.

You could probably come up with a Nightmare Fuel version of the first few Kingdom Hearts arcs if you used NieR's version of Gestalts and Replicants instead.

*shudders at the thought of Sora and Roxas in a KH that runs on NieR worldbuulding*

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Very late-game NieR spoilers
Only NieR makes is really obvious that the "heartless" and "nobodies" have their own separate emotions and experiance and are definetly two separate individuals. And recombining the "heartless" and "nobody" goes wrong in every conceivable way as a result. To the point you end up with a "heartless" saying the "nobody" who's body they are in is a different being from them and commits suicide rather than stay in a situation where they're essentially controlling someone else.

NieR and Kingdom Hearts are like... at opposite ends of the "identity crisis" spectrum when it comes to their tones.

You could probably come up with a Nightmare Fuel version of the first few Kingdom Hearts arcs if you used NieR's version of Gestalts and Replicants instead.

*shudders at the thought of Sora and Roxas in a KH that runs on NieR worldbuulding*

Oh, I am very aware that their contexts are very different, that's kinda part of the joke.

Also even with differences the similarities are fun to point out and joke about, like
like Kingdom Hearts revealed that Nobodies can "regrow" their hearts, which is also similar to how Replicants eventually became sentient/sapient (i.e. "grew" their own souls) which is part of what caused recombining Replicants and Gestalts to go wrong in the future (i.e. the game's present).

Last edited:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Decided to watch endings C/D & E of Nier Replicant since I am holding on actually playing them until I get all the weapons upgraded to max (the item grind kills the man). Anyways having played/fully "watched" all the DrakeNier games that Yoko Taro worked on (still planning on eventually watching Drakengard 2 though, to be clear), if I was to rank the four games based primarily on their story/characters, my list would currently be this:
1. NieR
2. Drakengard 1
3. Nier: Automata
4. Drakengard 3
However, my current enjoyment of them as games as a whole to play, would likely rank them as this:
1. Nier: Automata
2. NieR (ver. 1.2247... specifically)
(I'm guessing for these based on what I watched)
3. Drakengard 3
4. Drakengard 1
Also, just comparing the music between NieR and Automata, I think I generally like Automata's boss/combat music more than NieR, but I like NieR's character themes and environmental music more.

And also did
Nier saving Kainé and “making her human” mean she’s now a “true human” (i.e. what would be the result of a Gestalt and Replicant completely successfully combining) or is she just a normal Replicant again and thus still at risk of eventually dying from the Black Scrawl?

Kalil and Beepy definitely broke my heart the most of the Part 2 bosses.

Lex

Administrator
I'm now on what people call "Part Two" for context. I'm having a blast with it.

I'm sure the remaster smooths some edges, but nearly 20 points better? And not just that now Nier has some cachet so suddenly game journalists are able to see the high points of a niche title?

I'm replying to you forcie even though I know about four hundred thousand other folk did. I might be exaggerating. Maybe it was two. Who knows.

ANYWAY

I wanted to get a feel for the game to try and make sense of this too - I've watched a couple of comparison videos now and spoken with a couple of people who played the original. It's not just the combat - I wouldn't even call this a remaster. A LOT has been re-worked even though visually I thought it was a minor upgrade at first, because it does still kind of *look* like a remastered PS3 game, but it's so much more. The combat is a huge component to be sure, but the music, the voice acting, the gameplay - all of it is overhauled to some extent and the end result is stellar. Which amplifies an incredible story (so far) which was already there to begin with. I've also heard there's a surprising amount of additional content.

So I'm just saying the difference in the review scores makes sense to me now, beyond Automata being a hit and making the series more popular. The score is well deserved.

D

Deleted member 13557

Scrolled down this thread with my eyes shut, just in case of spoilers.

Absolutely loving this game so far. I just
beat Adam in the Copied City
and I can see where this game is most likely going. Holdin' on for the ride.

I gush about video game music all the time, but my god, what a soundtrack!

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
This thread really makes me want to pull out my 360 again and play Gestalt...I don't know if I ever completed all of the sidequests or got all of the endings. I know I got a handful of them.

Were any of those sidequests particularly hard to beat? IIRC, some are time-sensitive.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Welp, on my way to get the B ending... interesting game overall, despite the side-quest grinding (and to think that people were complaining about FF7R side-questing and pacing, come on!). For me this game is a 7 or 8 out of 10. Boy this game makes you feel like shit (having played Automata, I knew what I was in for, though).
Even though these themes are interesting, I've come to realize that I've grown very tired of getting to these emotional places. Same reason why I won't be playing Last of Us II again or RDR II again either.

Were any of those sidequests particularly hard to beat? IIRC, some are time-sensitive.
Gha... that f**** quest for the pink moonflowers, I swear... I got it ruined because I hadn't played the game for 3 days straight because I had been putting crazy hours at work. I despise it when a game demands that you put Real Life on hold.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I did all the sidequests for the first half in case I wanna go for a 100% run and in doing so I realized I'm not gonna do a 100% run because fuck these sidequests.

In general I think the game has too much time-wasting stuff that really didn't need to be there. I kind of understand now why the game got middling reviews. It's *just okay* and mostly carried by its story and music.
Definitely enjoyed my time with Automata more although I do wanna revisit it after this and compare. :monster:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Gha... that f**** quest for the pink moonflowers, I swear... I got it ruined because I hadn't played the game for 3 days straight because I had been putting crazy hours at work. I despise it when a game demands that you put Real Life on hold.
On a PC, this is pretty straightforward. You just manipulate your computer clock accordingly after planting/watering. And rinse/repeat until you get 10 of them.

The hardest bit is getting both Pink and Peach seeds. Once you get enough, you can multiply them really fast while trying for a Lunar Tear and you'll have more than you know what to do with.

Top Bottom