Nintendo Switch (NX)

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
A 32GB device that doesn't have save data transfer? Yeah that totally sounds like a reasonable thing to do Nintendo.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
A 32GB device that doesn't have save data transfer? Yeah that totally sounds like a reasonable thing to do Nintendo.

And if your Switch is broken, like for you know the shitty joycons , you get to start your games all over when you replace it.

Yay value.... replayability!

Nintendo is so daft. I'm pretty sure I was doing Cloud Saves like 10 years ago on my PS3. Such an easy, already solved "problem".

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
OK wow, this does not bode well:

Schadenfreude.jpg

Lex

Administrator
I'll go for a switch if they give me access to the Wii U catalogue of games. It's insane they haven't done that since they've hardlined an end to the manufacturing of more units already.

I expect them to do this at some point, it would be madness not to. That and an improved version of the hardware and I'm sold.

tangerine

B ● A ● N ● A ● N ● A
AKA
Val
Yeah, I'm going to hold off on getting a Switch until Nintendo fixes the issues with it.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Yeaaaah not having the money right now seems to be a blessing in disguise. We still have our Wii which we got in 2007 iirc, it's still going strong despite Freybs frequently knocking it over, smacking the wiimote against stuff. Nintendo usually make good solid stuff compared with other consoles.

But this....I mean these are all grownups running into problems, so god knows what Freybs would do to it.

Gonna wait for a tweaked version I think.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I'll go for a switch if they give me access to the Wii U catalogue of games. It's insane they haven't done that since they've hardlined an end to the manufacturing of more units already.

Again though, you'd have to at least do some porting. You can't just throw them on the Switch via BC because of the Wii U gamepad.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Re: that video, Crowbcat always likes to play these things up. It's really impossible to say how many people have problems with it from a video like that. The hardware faults should be covered by Nintendo's warranty, which is a pain for the people involved, but there are always a few unlucky people with any console launch. What I find much less acceptable are the actual design flaws like the dock scratching the screen and the joycon straps / shoulder button thingies being able to slide on the wrong way and then not easily come off again.

And not being able to back up saves is really piss-poor, especially with no cloud save functionality in the console. That's clearly an intentional decision, not an oversight.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Despite all my constant bitching about the Switch in this thread.

I've come to the realization today that since it's vanilla/Gen 1, I kinda actually want it. If any version of the Switch gets hacked and can get some homebrew running on it , it could actually be kind of worth.

But yeah I'm with Flint. Those points of failure with the actual physical design are just so damning. Like the video says at some point, Kids are gonna play this thing. Did they not see some kid fucking up and putting in the straps the wrong way?

Did they not see some kid haphazardly docking it and scratching the fuck out of it? The list goes on. Then you go back to the shitty intangible shit like the ass backwards online infrastructure, no cloud saves , no data transfer. It just screams rushed.

That dead pixels shit is BS too lol. They aren't wrong that there is an acceptable failure rate range , but that's like in reference to spread out dead pixels and even then if what ever company gave you the fucked monitor, if they are worth a damn they easily replace it.

But the Switch , from all the images I've seen, has dead pixel clusters. That shit doesn't fly.

Lex

Administrator
I am now an owner of the Nintendo Switch.

I actually love it? Surprising myself every day with it tbh, got it with Zelda and Mario (because of course) and I think I've clocked about 50 hours in BotW already. The utility in being able to lift the console out and continue playing seems like it would be a gimmick feature, but it absolutely isn't. Every press of a button in a game feels tactile and responsive, like it's literally a joy to press the buttons.

My biggest gripe is how expensive it is to buy another controller. It comes with two joy cons (obviously) and they're surprisingly great in any form (in the grip, on the console or holding them separately - the HD rumble thing is really awesomely weird), that and the provided grip doesn't have a charging port (you have to buy a "charging grip" separately, which is really shafting the consumer). But the Pro controller (i.e. a normal one) is ridiculously expensive.

The charging thing genuinely isn't an issue though, each joycon has a battery life of 20 hours and they charge when they're connected to the Switch - even when the switch is in portable mode and not plugged in, so I can't foresee a scenario where the controllers run out of battery. By comparison I have to switch DS4 controllers on the PS4 once a day if I'm playing because the battery runs from full to empty in about 5 hours. What's the deal with that? XD

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I think I've clocked about 50 hours in BotW already.

Tell us about your experiences in the Zelda thread :awesomonster:

BotW is my absolute favorite game this year. Spent 120 hours with it (still haven't found 3 or 4 shrines...) and I wish I could erase my memory of it and experience it all over.

Btw Nintendo, why are we not hearing about the story DLC for this holiday? Delay incoming? :kermit:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
My old roommate bought a Switch when it came out and is regretting it since nothing on the system really appeals to him so he's offered it to me on the cheap. Comes with Zelda too.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
God damn the switch increased in price! Still waiting till the next gen pokemon games appear there before I make my bid.

Top Bottom