• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

No New Star Wars Films from the Game of Thrones Guys

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
Jaysus Christ, how many movies do we need? We have the full eps 7-9 trilogy, then the spinoff trilogy, then the Rian Johnson trilogy... and now this? I mean, they're good movies but when is enough enough?

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I'm really glad that they're giving good storytellers the ability to tell stories in the Star Wars Universe. It feels a lot more like how they do things in the comics/game world. In my mind, it's a rad sandbox, and arguing that is like saying, "How many comics do we really NEED?" or "How many authors get to write Star Wars books?" – So long as they're enjoyable, I'll never have an issue giving talented individuals a chance in that sandbox.

X :neo:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Channy said:
I mean, they're good movies but when is enough enough?

"Never?" I can only imagine, would be Disney's response.

I don't think the new trilogy has created enough new characters to survive these guys, though.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I think that this is where things like the books and comics are another good example. The Episodic Star Wars films aren't the only things that get to create characters in Star Wars. Even with only minor connections to other things, there're still EXCELLENT stories that can be told, and they're choosing fantastic people ta tell them.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I can't help but imagine Star Wars except with exposed titties and extra gore now XD

And ahem...

... incest?

Sorry. :puppy:

lukeleia.jpg

:monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
What have they done aside from GOT?

Benioff drafted a screenplay for Troy and the proper one for the Kite Runner but probably became most famous for the Wolverine movie. Weiss, idk, doesn't seem to be much important wossnames on his profile on wikipedia.

As for the Star Wars flood of content since Disney took over, I think Disney found its Marvel franchise - or well, another Marvel franchise. Marvel is the biggest movie franchise of all time, it makes sense for them to try and expand that by trying to apply the same formula to Star Wars. There's the mainline SW movies (like Avengers), then character focused spinoffs that are starting now (Solo, I'm sure they'll make a trilogy of that too), TV shows, etc. Because dank monies.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Ehh... I'll wait and see. For GOT they had the books' blueprints to follow, I don't know if that's enough to judge their normal style. Their CVs don't seem to have any particular trend to them.

(Note: I didn't watch past season 1, so I'm not best qualified to judge. (Not that I didn't like it, I just didn't feel like putting in the time.)

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
We're finally getting a KOTOR adaptation and D&D will be involved...

Should be fine, they've demonstrated that they are really good at adapting pre-existing material. Its only when they have to make up their own shit that things start getting rocky. But even then, they still make it look good

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Here's the link to that article where this rumored news originated. While I definitely think that it's plausible that that's what they're doing, it's still not confirmed quite yet. If that is where they go with it, I'd have to say that @The Mad King is probably spot on, as they'd be re-adapting some Legends canon that's been seeded in bits and pieces since back in Clone Wars, (scrapped scenes with Revan on Mortis & mentions of Darth Bane in the Lost Episodes) Rebels (the ruins on Malachor), and the comics for Lando & Fortress Vader (Momin) as well as the Vader Immortal game (proto saber).

If they wanted to tie into it, there's always the stuff that they could start with using the Dark Saber (since that has an easy ability to draw connecting context to Clone Wars, Rebels, and potentially The Mandalorian), and use that to look at other ancient lightsabers like the one that Ezra found in Rebels on Malachor. There are a lot of good venues for large-scale conflict that would be interesting to see in an era before Anakin and The Balance and all the Skywalker Saga came into place.

All-in-all, it's a good direction to take if the rumors turn out to be accurate.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Given the recent information about their level of experience going into Game of Thrones, I think that most people are collectively pleased about this news. If anything it sounds a lot like the issues with the original directors for Solo, where they're not necessarily bad, but it also doesn't jive with the way that they go about making the Star Wars films.

It'll be interesting to see how everything shakes out post-Episode IX, but for the moment, I'm really glad that we don't have any specific announcements for what's next outside of Clone Wars & The Mandalorian, since I think that all of those will give some space to help figure out what's happening next and what's NEW for Star Wars.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Seems like 'unfortunately' for David now that he and his buddy Dan incompetent asses have been more widely exposed, daddy isn't conveniently in some board with a Disney higher up like he was with an HBO one to hand him a job he was wholly unqualified for and hadn't earn. Truly some trying times for the privileged white men in America.

I'm a bit intrigued by this project now that Dumb & Dumber are gone but Disney could stop doing their lip service and actually hire a woman and/or poc to lead one of these Star Wars projects.

I do hope they go way far back, the Bioware (and Obsidian) Old Republic saga takes places about 5,000 years before the prequel trilogy and has produced some of the best Star Wars stories. The Old Republic has really found its groove story wise in the past couple years and produced some really fascinating stuff. I would be really interested in seeing some version of Legends stories set during a time before Jedi and Sith when it was one entity. Going to a time when force users used both what would become to be known as the light and dark side would offer a lot fluidity and creativity.

Last edited:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Seems like 'unfortunately' for David now that his and his buddy Dan's incompetent asses have been more widely exposed, daddy isn't conveniently in some board with a Disney higher up like he was with an HBO one to hand him a job he was wholly unqualified for and hadn't earn. Truly some trying times for the privileged white men in America.

I'm a bit intrigued by this project now that Dumb & Dumber are gone but Disney could stop doing their lip service and actually hire a woman and/or poc to lead one of these Star Wars projects.

Damn THAT WAS FIRE
:bitchslapjoff3:

I do hope they go way far back, the Bioware (and Obsidian) Old Republic saga takes places about 5,000 years before the prequel trilogy and has produced some of the best Star Wars stories. The Old Republic has really found its groove story wise in the past couple years and produced some really fascinating stuff. I would be really interested in seeing some version of Legends stories set during a time before Jedi and Sith when it was one entity. Going to a time when force users used both what would become to be known as the light and dark side would offer a lot fluidity and creativity.

This is a great idea.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
If I had to guess at what Disney's current plans are with Star Wars, it's that they're slowly building up a wider knowledge of who the Mandalorians are with the general public audience, so that they can use them as a jumping off point for new stories. The Mandalorians hook into the things that people of all the Star Wars eras like, and back before the Prequel Era is when they were still really a big deal. This means taking a little time for setup, but it does point towards a setting in the Old Republic era as being highly probable, and there're tons of opportunities adapt Legends stuff while telling new stories.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Seems like they cracked a bit under the abuse from the fanbase. The full transcript of the conversation will be useful if we get one, Twitter is not great for nuance.

Last edited:

Fangu

Great Old One
(Not responding to anyone in particular)

It comes across as fairly objective imo. The person is a writer, and seeing as a lot of the audience were writers and a lot of the comments are from writets, I'm not surprised about the facepalms. The last seasons og GoT had problems that could have been solved with a writer's room. This Tweet sums up part of it:

D&D says themselves they didn't reference the source material more because they "didn't have time". They wanted to do everything themselves instead of hiring more people.

That being said, imagine being up to your ears with little experience. At that point I think it'd be normal to not expand more than necessary due to feeling overwhelmed. You'd rather keep a small crowd you trust.

And I guess nodody expected the series to be as big as it was.

But I'm not making and will never make excuses for bad writing. At least when it could have been avoided.

Also don't worry, DD will work again. Probably huge projects too.

Top Bottom