Nomura now confirmed for Not-Director of FFXV

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/09/17/tabata-final-fantasy-xv.aspx

(Kotaku is also a source but fuck Kotaku)

Square Enix has announced that the long-running Final Fantasy XV project has had a change of leadership. Hajime Tabata (Final Fantasy Type 0, Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII) is now serving as director, and Tetsuya Nomura is now focusing on other projects.

The main title receiving Nomura's attention at the moment is Kingdom Hearts III. In a press release, Square Enix CEO Yosuke Matsuda says:

"Hereafter, [Nomura] will be focusing his efforts on the production of titles that can only be made possible by Nomura, himself, and delivering products that exceed the quality of past titles, starting with another one of his representative projects, Kingdom Hearts III. Square Enix will continue to work on these titles with the best staff formation in an effort to deliver them to everyone as soon as possible and appreciates your continued support."
Tabata is pretty legit (directed The 3rd Birthday as well)
inb4 Nomura-induced Kingdom Hearts III development hell joke

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I don't see any possible way all these changes in personnel can be good for the game :/

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
tbf if Nomura was only personally in charge of the story and characters/script etc. then he would be mostly done and going around twiddling his fingers while the rest of the development team did actual developing (that is, if Square Enix's development process is anything similar to other developers :monster:)

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
I think the change in personnel might be a good thing, if we got a legit TGS trailer out of it.

Not that I'm claiming that having Tabata being in charge is in direct correlation with the fact that there's a shiny new trailer, but you know...sometimes you gotta take a step back from a long term project and have someone else look at it, yadda yadda yadda. :monster: At least, I'm assuming that's what's happening here. I just hope it means we get an actual release date.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
iirc Nomura handled the script (which would usually be one of the first things to be finished)

ForceStealer

Double Growth
but the development time has only REALLY been 3 or 4 years. Apparently it basically just sat there after its announcement.

And Nojima or Nomura, either are better than Daisuke Watanabe. Given that he couldn't tell XIII's story without the datalog

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
I'm not personally worried about the whole thing. Chances are it was an administrative thing anyway and Nomura working in the capacity as Director for two concurrent game projects as big as Kingdom Hearts III and FFXV is only something an insane madman (genius) would pull off

Tabata is probably just overseeing systems and mechanical aspects of the game

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
tbf if Nomura was only personally in charge of the story and characters/script etc. then he would be mostly done and going around twiddling his fingers while the rest of the development team did actual developing (that is, if Square Enix's development process is anything similar to other developers :monster:)

As the director, he was supposed to be in charge of a lot more than that -- basically having the final say on everything in the story, and directing both the visuals and combat design. The same role he has with the KH games, in other words, since this was supposed to be his other pet project.

I guess he no longer has as much passion for this project as he does finishing KH.

Depending on how much of the game is done, this change of hands is a huge deal.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
but the development time has only REALLY been 3 or 4 years. Apparently it basically just sat there after its announcement.

I still don't see how you can look at it that way, especially in this case. Unless you think they haven't discussed gameplay, design sensibilities and unifying themes (i.e. elements unifying gameplay and story) in the eight and a half years since announcement.

Heck, even if it had only really been in development for three years, losing the director is still a big deal unless the release date is right around the corner and they're still sitting on that information for some reason.

Force said:
And Nojima or Nomura, either are better than Daisuke Watanabe. Given that he couldn't tell XIII's story without the datalog

That's likely Toryiama's fault, as, again, the director tends to be responsible for the overall presentation.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
I guess he no longer has as much passion for this project as he does finishing KH.
After having gone through my animation thesis year, I feel like I can sympathize with Nomura a bit on this. Given that 8+ months working solo for the most part is a bit different from working on and off for 9 years while heading a team. I mean, we don't really know how Nomura feels about XV then and now but I guess working on a project for that long can probably wear down on your enthusiasm, especially if everybody is asking "WHERE IS XV IT'S BEEN XX YEARS".

I dunno. I guess I'm pulling stuff out of thin air here.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I mean, I guess. But this isn't like Yasumi Matsuno getting booted out of the company in the middle of FFXII. Nomura's still there.

Lex

Administrator
I recall something about Nomura stomping his feet and declaring something along the lines of "I'M TRYING TO DO SOMETHING AMAZING HERE" at one point when people were heckling him for news about this years ago.

Dunno why this has happened if he was so passionate about it :/

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I mean, I guess. But this isn't like Yasumi Matsuno getting booted out of the company in the middle of FFXII. Nomura's still there.

It doesn't sound like he's still going to have any involvement, though. Maybe he will, but he really just sounds done.

Which I should clarify may not be a bad thing, big deal or no -- some big deals are good things. The game obviously wasn't getting done with Nomura, so maybe the change of hands is the only way it will.

Skan

Pro Adventurer
AKA
dief
Before Crisis left such a bad taste in my mouth that I can't help but feel pessimistic about this change. That said, Tabata probably wasn't responsible for all the things I hated about BC, so ... could be good.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Tabata also directed Crisis Core, for whatever that's worth. Probably a more notable entry than Before Crisis, so I'm not sure why the article mentioned that in particular.

Top Bottom