Obsidian Fire's Graphic Art

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
This is a dump thread for all the "art" I've made/am making in GIMP. Starts from when I didn't really know what I could do with the program to the present.

HNaci.jpg

The first desktop background I made. I was playing with some of the pattern generators GIMP has. The text is from two songs, "Rise Above It" and "Chem 6A", both by Switchfoot.

NfGn4.jpg

Second desktop I made. This time I was playing around with layer masks. The quote is something my mom said to me.

Third desktop I made. This one was inspired by the rap song "War" by Tedashii.

X6raj.jpg

Number 4, taken from the song "Yahweh" by Reily.

dC6YU.jpg

The last one I made. This was an experiment with GIMP's lighting effects as well as a foray into a grunge/techno style. The quote is from one of my dad's running magazines. The above desktops are all at half size.

NBR4D.jpg

My current Facebook timeline cover. This officially got away from me; I did not think it would look like this when I started making it. And my profile pic does match up with it.

YU2Wn.jpg

Random space graphic I made. I'm still not quite happy with the reflection/shadow job I did on the planet/rings, but I'm really happy with how the galaxy came out.

That's all for now, but I am making more.

Lex

Administrator
Some digital art! That's awesome, I really like the 4th one, the space one and the graphic style of the 5th.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I think the progress from the first image to the last is plain to see, so keep it up! I'm glad to hear you're using GIMP, too :)

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
More stuff...

sM7Uk.gif

Found this lurking on my computer. I usually don't post the stuff I make by following tutorials, but this was an exception.

T8g9N.jpg

The last piece I made. I was aiming for a more muted color pallet, but as usual it turned into brights and neons.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Another desktop. The words are from the song "Gotta Know" bu Lecrae. The hardest part was making the coffee stain look right.
Ka3JT.jpg

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
More space. I decided to mix things up by adding in something I made in Blender. And I finally learned how to make starfields look realistic. Sorry about the size, but it didn't look right scaled down.
ByOtj.jpg

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Here's a starfield that was made with one of the galaxies from the last picture.
scraped_heavens__1_by_0bsidianfire-d5k49f3.jpg

And here's one of several variations I made of same picture.
spires_scrape_the_heavens_varriation__1_by_0bsidianfire-d5k4a85.jpg

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Recently found out about fractal art... it's awesome 'cause I just manipulate triangles and enter in variables; the computer takes care of the rest.
into_the_deep_by_0bsidianfire-d5l6gn2.jpg

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Kinda, it's a lot of "enter in one variable of a parameter, decide whether it works or not, and then change it". It's a lot of trial and error and knowing what certain parameter will do to the fractal. The cool thing is that it's a really young art medium (the equation was discovered in the 90s) so there are a lot of different user made parameters out there that don't come with the software. And that's before you get into coloring and gradients which can make or break a flame (fractal).

I like it because I'm really bad at actually drawing things and because I'm a bit of a nerd who likes math. So when I look at other fractal art, I start guessing what parameters they used.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Started playing around with Inkscape. It's a vector-based graphics program as opposed to pixel-based. The workflow is definitely different.
mirrored_knotwork_by_0bsidianfire-d5sfw8i.png

Top Bottom