Occulus Rift selling out to Facebook... FACEBOOK :<

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Zuckerberg said he could envision people visiting virtual worlds where they can buy goods and are served advertisements

O0adam.gif

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
^ I suspect there's more chance of Minecraft going to them instead. But yeah, there's always that.

Lord Kesharq

Late night user(coffee!)
AKA
Lostlord, Lewisito
Great lol, first they buy whatsapp and now this? what next the world lol?. (Dread to think what evil there planning!)

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
ohai were faecbook we have too much money oh this looks coll lets buy it lol

It's kind of a betrayal to those who volunteered some money to them a couple years ago on Kickstarter. Those projects generally aren't in it for the big money. Do those backers get their money back with a fuckton of interest now?

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
ohai were faecbook we have too much money oh this looks coll lets buy it lol

It's kind of a betrayal to those who volunteered some money to them a couple years ago on Kickstarter. Those projects generally aren't in it for the big money. Do those backers get their money back with a fuckton of interest now?

I was thinking of this too. It just does not seem right that they would take all that money from the kickstarter and then just sell out at the first big offer.
Especially after they kept selling the whole "Close knit community and hardware for gamers by gamers yada yada yada"

qtHNZ35.png

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
You'd have to be pretty damn entitled to ask for your donation money back, Jesus Christ.

But, then again, the internet is currently riding high on an unprecedented wave of entitlement - so that sounds pretty par for the course (sadly).

It's important to make the distinction between a donation and an investment. Lobbing £10 at a project you find cool on Kickstarter in order to help bring it to life and get it off the ground does not make you a company shareholder. Without the initial Kickstarter backing it's highly unlikely that the Oculus Rift could have made the progress necessary to attract massive corporate investment.

Is it morally grey? Yes, yes it is. But is it a betrayal to the original donators? Eh, no. I don't think so. But since funding games through crowdsourcing is just a new phenomenon - this was a bridge that had to be crossed eventually.

Last edited:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
This is a shame, but the cynic/realist in me thinks that Oculus Rift was never going to be profitable, so I don't blame them at all for selling out.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
There's always project morpheus, right? That's a genuine question :P.

I honestly believe that with Oculus Rift going to Facebook, Sony's gonna pick up on a shitton of Indy developers who want to develop for someone who respects game creators. Sony's been kickass to Indy Devs for PS3 and also moving into PS4, and from my standpoint, their release about Project Morpheus, followed by the Oculus=Facebook announcement couldn't possibly have occurred at a better time for them. It's not nearly as big, but essentially as well-timed as their "PS4 Plays Used Games" moment, but for VR.

You'd have to be pretty damn entitled to ask for damn donation money back, Jesus Christ.

But, then again, the internet is currently riding high on an unprecedented wave of entitlement - so that sounds pretty par for the course (sadly).

It's important to make the distinction between a donation and an investment. Lobbing £10 at a project you find cool on Kickstarter in order to help bring it to life and get it off the ground does not make you a company shareholder. Without the initial Kickstarter backing it's highly unlikely that the Oculus Rift could have made the progress necessary to attract massive corporate investment.

Is it morally grey? Yes, yes it is. But is it a betrayal to the original donators? Eh, no. I don't think so. But since funding games through crowdsourcing is just a new phenomenon - this was a bridge that had to be crossed eventually.

^THIS.

Also:

652080399841850439.gif

And:

hmhBlRN.gif

X :neo:

Alice

The Persistent Flourish

But yeah, I've heard about this. Alex and X-SOLDIER's posts sum up my feelings quite nicely, so I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom