• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

OG FF7 is now playable at 60fps [EDIT: And Widescreen!] on PC via modding

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
The original on the PS1 run at 15fps during combat, with menus running at 60fps, the subsequent PC port run both combat and menus at 15fps! And all around worse product than the orginal console version. Now that can fixed with this mod!

It's compatible with both the original 1998 version of FF7 PC, the 2013 digital release, and the updated modern version.

Widescreen mod: https://github.com/julianxhokaxhiu/FFNx/releases/tag/canary

A brand new widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio mode without stretching is now available for FFNx! Battle and world map modes now work fully in 16:9 aspect ratio without stretching. Field mode is partially supported but keep in mind that not all fields will extend to 16:9 aspect ratio. That said, we are working on ways to increase the number of fields that work in 16:9 in the near future so please look forward to that too! To try this new widescreen mode update FFNx AND 7th Heaven to the latest canary versions and select "Widescreen (16:9)" in the Aspect Ratio option of the Game Driver Settings. If you want to submit widescreen related bug report please do so in the following issue thread in GitHub. https://github.com/julianxhokaxhiu/FFNx/issues/474

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I am someone who often really struggles to notice appreciable differences in framerate. I'm often left shrugging when people try to highlight how much better something looks at a higher framerate.
Now, 15 to 60 is a large enough difference that I can at least notice it, but on a lot of items I'm still kinda "eh." Or at least not nearly as excited as the guy in the video (not that I'm criticizing him!). The characters still kinda teleport back to their place after attacking and all that. But, all of this is to say that the one thing that really struck me, had me think, "Oh wow, that looks nice," it's Cloud's victory pose. The Buster Sword actually spinning around rather than chopping around like helicopter blades on film.

So for anyone like me, that's something I would focus on :monster:

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
What's hilarious is I definitely see the difference but the frame rate combined with higher models makes the old school ATB battle system looks even more hilarious and performative now.

Like, they're almost performing a play or sports routine now. Their perfect alignment and positioning on opposite sides, along with the mobs moving to their own rhythm in unison, looks very cute. I'm reminded of World of Final Fantasy now.

Omnislash looks like Cloud overclock'd himself and I love it. I can't wait to see Omnislash in the Remake. That shit's gonna look so wild and hype, lol

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
Very nice! Now give me a widescreen hack a la FFIX's moguri mod and I'll finally do another modded playthrough on PC :monster:

It's in the works now. Not all fields will work though, similar to FFIX. They are looking at ways around it:

widescreen_field.gif

widescreen_battle.gif

widescreen_world.gif

FFNx also has options for analogue movement, new lighting system and moving the battle camera like FFXIII.

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
Incredible progress! I still remember Aali saying this was impossible back when he released his very first driver on Qhimm. This is fantastic to see, I can't wait to eventually try it out <3

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
It's available now:
A brand new widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio mode without stretching is now available for FFNx! Battle and world map modes now work fully in 16:9 aspect ratio without stretching. Field mode is partially supported but keep in mind that not all fields will extend to 16:9 aspect ratio. That said, we are working on ways to increase the number of fields that work in 16:9 in the near future so please look forward to that too! To try this new widescreen mode update FFNx AND 7th Heaven to the latest canary versions and select "Widescreen (16:9)" in the Aspect Ratio option of the Game Driver Settings. If you want to submit widescreen related bug report please do so in the following issue thread in GitHub. https://github.com/julianxhokaxhiu/FFNx/issues/474
https://github.com/julianxhokaxhiu/FFNx/releases/tag/canary

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Tremendous. I am excited for my next playthrough using this!

Reactions: Wol

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Just waiting for the dub project to be fully complete, can't wait to replay it after almost 20 years with all these mods.

Nandemoyasan

Standing guard
AKA
Johnny
I decided to take the plunge with this last night and I'm pleased as punch. I am "that weirdo" who wants it to be 4:3, so while Widescreen is a nice option to have, I think I'll stick to the game as originally designed in this regard.

That said, the Ninostyle (non-chibi) models for the characters all look fantastic, and seeing all the animations in 60 fps with updated textures on everything, it's amazing. It feels like some sort of game mod fever dream.

Reactions: Wol

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
So we have some more QOL mods from Postscriptthree

Some are:
In Battle PHS
Break damage limit
EXP Share
Party Randomizer

You can have a Cloudless party with this technically, but Cloud/Tifa/Cid will always be the one you control on the field, regardless of who is in your team. So you can play with Barret/Aerith/Red, but when your party splits it'll show you Cloud/Aerith/Red. It hasn't been tested much though.

Also there is a mod included that finally fixes the music problem in the Nibelheim flashback. Basically it was just that the sound file was cut short in the pc releases, this mod restores the longer version.

Top Bottom