Oh hey there. Wanna be friends?

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
I suppose I should introduce myself; I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be a regular visitor for the foreseeable future.

My relevant background:

Waaaaay back in 1997, Pepsi was doing a promotional thing, one of those "check under the cap to see if you've won a prize!" deals. During that period of time, my dad drank a ton of Mountain Dew (like 3+ a day...looking back, that was pretty unhealthy). Anyway, one day my dad comes home, cracks open another Dew, and says "...huh. I won something."

A few weeks later, while 11-year-old me is playing on our PSX, my dad tosses me this bulky ass CD case, and says "let me know if this is any good." Now, I had never heard of Final Fantasy, I had absolutely ZERO idea of what to expect. But hey, free videogame? Hell yeah!

I FELL IN LOVE SO HARD.

It took me way, WAY too long to finally beat the game (plus a 6+ month hiatus where I couldn't figure out how to get through the junkyard in sector 5....I still get irritated just thinking about that stupid pole). Like, at least 2 years. I got my hands on a shiny new BradyGames strategy guide when I was about halfway through, and that only deepened my obsession.

To make a long story longer... when I was about 12 or 13, my dad showed me how to do basic HTML. Mind you, this was internet 1.0, so everyone and their mother had a Geocities page or something similar. Using the shaky knowledge base I had, I frankensteined together my own webpage, heavily incorporating javascripts that I had pulled from other sources on the internet. It was about 3 years of intermittent work, but eventually I had a site that I was proud of. It featured a sidebar, played MIDI music from the game (which you could change at will), handcrafted spreadsheets with weapon/armor/etc. information, character bios, the works. I even had a guestbook, and people were signing it all the time. Obviously I was kind of a big deal. :monster:

That was a long time ago. I eventually abandoned maintaining the site altogether. Technically it still exists, but it's in sorry shape these days. Still proud of it #noragrets

Ok, that was a long tangent I went down. You get the idea.

Just like many of you, I've been quietly freaking out inside ever since the remake was officially announced. I try to keep it to myself, because most of my friends and coworkers have either never played it or never heard of it. Or my personal favorite, "I have FF7! What's that game they play called? Blitzball?" :facepalm:

Anyway, that about wraps up my life story. If you made it this far, I commend you on your stamina.

I'm ecstatic to have found this site, it's nice to have a place with like-minded folks. Ya nerds.

See you in the forums!

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
OMG YES. The character gifs! I ripped the Red XIII one and used it as my Livejournal avatar back in the early 2000s. And the logo as the background watermark. What a blast from the past!

Ah yes, the NOSTALGIA :megusta:

In all seriousness, you have no idea how good it feels to find out my dinky little site is still remembered by people 15+ years after I left it to languish in the depths of obscurity. Thank you!

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
Omg Angelfire. Some of those fansites were so weird (the "crack" fandom ones). I have fond memories of messing around with HTML in middle school and having a Geocities page, which was also when I played FFVII for the first time. Also of preloading a few fanfiction.net tabs for when the internet would act up (often). I'm younger than you, so this was in 06/07.

Top Bottom